Wolfram-Harms

Post something positive for a change?

2 hours ago, 19//SAG said:

Wait! there's a third¬†QA? where could i find it? please!¬†ūüėÉ

This is the discussion I was referring to, not sure if it's the one you're looking for. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TexasWarbird said:

This is the discussion I was referring to, not sure if it's the one you're looking for. 

Man that initial part was hard to hear, I wonder why there's a lack of interest from independent pro's. Like he said DCS and other flight sims have tons of 3rd party support. Look at X plane or P3d for example. I am actually disappointed I ever bought BOS on steam, these guys deserve every penny.

• Upvote 2

I really love this simulator.

Able to enjoy flying as Bf 110 heavy fighter pilot in long waited career is fantastic.

Im also very satisfied that there are two models E2 and G2.

I have been studying Bf 110 for long time and my vacation just started and im able to read one more book about this plane soon. ūü§ó

Sturmovik has teached me alot of the planes handling and other characteristics specially with Bf 110.bf110book.thumb.jpeg.f14a71b2014364e1a64c65b3cc45d5f4.jpeg

Edited by Godspeed
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, 19//SAG said:

Wait! there's a third¬†QA? where could i find it? please!¬†ūüėÉ

I've only posted two :) He must mean the second one.

17 hours ago, =FEW=Herne said:

As much as I love flying these WWII birds, I can't wait to try WWI combat in VR, to hear bullets wizzing past your head, and ripping into the wing fabric. To watch from up close as your opponent's aircraft slowly starts to break apart. To feel that anxiety, when your own damaged wing is starting to bend out of shape, and you take special care to be ever so gentle with your throttle and controls. It's going to be great ! ;)

The next time you are flying VR click on the Autopilot, stand up from your chair and walk out on a wing as your plane flies along at 2000m.

It is amazing! You can look over the leading edge at the river and towns passing below, scratch your ass then walk back to your cockpit seat.

• Haha 1

Not starting work until noon today, so wasting my time in excellent fashion flying BOX.

Just had a lovely flight in a Ju-52, taking off in a snowstorm outside of Moscow, a quick flight, and back for a landing.

What a graphical tour de force. A true pleasure to have a flightsim with this level of quality. :good:

• Like 3

Best flight sim I think, and it will only get better. Only limitation is the CPU and GPU power it needs.

On 6/6/2018 at 6:35 PM, grimm862 said:

Man that initial part was hard to hear, I wonder why there's a lack of interest from independent pro's. Like he said DCS and other flight sims have tons of 3rd party support. Look at X plane or P3d for example. I am actually disappointed I ever bought BOS on steam, these guys deserve every penny.

I figured since request for content posts are so prevalent; I owe it to them to take the liberty and highlight that portion in particular. To bring light on what this team is accomplishing, despite its size. It’s really is something monumental.

But at times it seems like is the size of the team is looked over more than it should be. Causing calls for assistance like his to be ignored. Including the fact that there team is an international force - multiples that difficulty. I think some people don't realize how fragile something like that can be. We owe it to them to try to help them find more stability any way we can.

I'll continue to buy on site, and do what I can taking the time to write what I have so far. And maybe hope to see you invest more as well.:salute:

Edited by TexasWarbird

On 6/5/2018 at 10:40 PM, Wolfram-Harms said:

All those "issues" and stuff made me think: why not post something positive for a change?

After all, the makers of this sim are only human. Constant dripping wears the stone.

Don't we all flourish like plants, when we hear or read something nice and friendly?

So I'll start with a positive observation about the sound.
The "sound mechanics" are kinda stepchildren in sims - man is a visual being firstly.
But when you listen, you find how much work must have gone into this department.

I like it, when I watch my TRACKS in outside view and - moving around the Bf 109 (in flight) - to hear the change, when I come to the front section.

More and more I can hear the whistling of the turbo charger! I LOVE this distinct sound shaping - well done, boys!

Sometimes I think latecomers are typing this kind of stuff. There was a numerous "praising" topics.

Its normal ppl are posting problems on the forum since its a discussion/solution/opinion board.

BTW, on every "update post" they get praise from ppl including me. We know what we have.

And to please your plea.

This team is probably the last one which will make "serious" (not study) combat sims.....We are happy we have them. Most of the flying lads are "old farts" like me. Im 42. We dont have so many newcomers and youngsters like other (more popular) genres. And the longer learning curve and rather expensive flying gear isnt the main reason for that. Though, Bodenplatte might change things a bit. It is for sure something Im looking forward.

Edited by blackram
  • Upvote 3

On 6/6/2018 at 2:04 AM, angus26 said:

So very true. I could spend all my time (and I practically have) in QMB solo flights just flying around, doing absolutely nothing. 

Yes, this is what I do. The flying itself make this game excel  . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blackram said:

Sometimes I think latecomers are typing this kind of stuff. There was a numerous "praising" topics.

Its normal ppl are posting problems on the forum since its a discussion/solution/opinion board.

BTW, on every "update post" they get praise from ppl including me. We know what we have.

And to please your plea.

This team is probably the last one which will make "serious" (not study) combat sims.....We are happy we have them. Most of the flying lads are "old farts" like me. Im 42. We dont have so many newcomers and youngsters like other (more popular) genres. And the longer learning curve and rather expensive flying gear isnt the main reason for that. Though, Bodenplatte might change things a bit. It is for sure something Im looking forward.

I was going to say that myself, considering I only recently posted a very positive thread, but I didn`t want to be the party pooper. ūü§ó

p.s. It`s also very easy for people  to see only the negatives and not the positives, even when it`s right in front of them. I often get people chiding me for negative threads when I often make more than equal positive ones. Also negative always gets more responses than positive and tend to stay up longer.

Edited by seafireliv

4 hours ago, blackram said:

That's correct - I had bought the sim quite some time ago, but I have only got into it early this year.
And sure - I have read a lot of positive praise. I didn't mean to object any constructive criticism.
What annoyed me many times is constant nagging of people who always only seem to find hairs in their soups.

Edited by Wolfram-Harms
  • Upvote 1

The sound on the newer planes is awesome. In the p39 you can hear a distinct difference to the other Allison aircraft. There is a bearing whine which I can only assume is the driveshaft running under the pilot to the gear reduction at the front. 

New 50 cals sound great a meaty sound, I wish they would update the 50cal sound in the p40 though. 

Also so I like watching the prop angle change it’s amazing you can actually see it

Edited by Tyberan
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, blackram said:

In this forum, criticism are usually met with aggressive defensive attitude among other members. There is a belief that critique is a sign of hostile attitude, when mostly it is the exact opposite. 

I admit earlier there where , but mostly in other forums. Dev¬īs usually ignore it all together. Personally I have been here since day one, and are more or less settled, I accept what they offer , and leave it at that. I am not in their targeted group , bad for me but probably wise for them

• Upvote 2

The bottom line is that most ppl who are criticizing actually really cares about this sim. Thers no sense in making any kind of critic mor suggestion if one doesnt care. I for sure would never post anything on this board otherwise. But sadly, such ppl are usually taken as trolls or haters.

Edited by blackram
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, blackram said:

..sadly, such ppl are usually taken as trolls or haters.

Naw, I can't see that. If you come up with constructive criticism - or even with a complaint - it is just a matter of the tone you express it in.

A "troll" is someone who's hobby is "trolling" in fora. If you always find his tone unpleasant or ugly - then he is a troll IMHO.

Me, I have complained about the way even devs or testers have expressed something.
But I did it so, that they could and should think about it - without being too harshly attacked or even insulted. (Or so I hope...)

Some people have such a permanently negative tone these days, that I can't understand why they are SO aggressive.
Maybe there are many other reasons, not from the sim or the forum.
But it must often be hard for a dev (who has to feed his family from the income he makes with his work) to answer
so many negative posts, and so few positive ones. So sometimes they also fail to produce a "gentlemanly tone".

We are all human after all. (Not sure about true trolls there though...)

Edited by Wolfram-Harms
  • Upvote 2

i find the forum highly amusing and il2 does a great job bringing such unusual characthers together

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, raaaid said:

i find the forum highly amusing and il2 does a great job bringing such unusual characthers together

raaaid, all of the sudden you make sense.

Yes I agree it is a matter of tone and courtesy. But the tone is usually from english speaking defenders attacking a not native english member for misunderstanding bad English as a bad tone and lack of courtesy. And I might add answer in a very arrogant way, witch get picked up by the non english and the situation , witch never was there escalated to exactly that kind of situation

• Upvote 1

On 6/7/2018 at 1:35 PM, VesseL said:

Best flight sim¬†I think, and it will only get better. Only limitation is the CPU and GPU power it needs.ÔĽŅ

As someone who is playing it on a 4 year old ASUS laptop, I just don't think it needs all that much power. I do have a quad core I7, buts only 2.93 GHZ. I have a 2GB NVidea graphics card and only the 8 GB's of RAMM that the machine came with. Not exactly a monster computer. And I play with settings on high.

• Upvote 1

This is the best WWII combat flight simulator, or am I wrong? Is there a better one? That's why I play it, sounds logical to me. Sometimes I try other simulators to compare. I remember when the first IL-2 was launched, and that guy Oleg Maddox was like, "this game is built on secret russian military software we have somehow leaked..." (with a spy voice). I believed him at the time, the thing was different, smooth.

Ok, now imagine our game in 2022 after millions of man-hours and an hypothetical capital injection of a gazillion dollars (what's your nickname here, Mr. Paul Allen? ūüėČ). So, now, can you imagine how this game would be? I guess it would be not very different in essence to what we already have here. There would be plenty of planes, battles, maps, tanks, non-suicidal AI pilots, etc. But the gameplay, the FM? I can't imagine a better simulator based on an audiovisual -and tactile- experience. This is possibly the Flight Simulator of the End of the World. No better experience for under $100,000 and no illegal substances involved. It's audiovisual: your PC won't spit burning oil on your face, your blood won't taste metallic and the G force always equals one. You may not smell the wheat nor the cordite.

Maybe I'm naive but have you seen "Dunkirk", the movie? The Spitfire scenes? So dumb, so slow, so... fake!  I know better than Tom Hardy how the tracers deflect and spray the skies. And that Spitfire nose view! What was that, a Cessna? Alt+F2, please! So, the good new: the game is OK, and the bad new: this is basically the last flight simulator, Humanity will be wiped out by robots or by methane, and Charlton Heston will press that huge "Enter" green button for the last time.

Edited by melkarth
  • Upvote 1

This is actually the smoothest simulator you can get, and in many ways hold best quality in graphics 

8 hours ago, melkarth said:

This is the best WWII combat flight simulator, or am I wrong? Is there a better one?

...that guy Oleg Maddox was like, "this game is built on secret russian military software we have somehow leaked..." (with a spy voice).

This is possibly the Flight Simulator of the End of the World.

...the bad new: this is basically the last flight simulator, Humanity will be wiped out by robots or by methane,

and Charlton Heston will press that huge "Enter" green button for the last time.

Aerh... - sorry, but I'm a slow-thinking, blockheaded German with an underdeveloped and badly adjusted sense of humour - so one question:

is this a POSITIVE review, or rather an encrypted message about the nearing end of the world, in the case that 1C GAMES and 777 STUDIOS continue their works??? :umnik2::crazy:;)

(PS: I agree about the quality of the whole sim; but not about your criticism on the Spitfire scenes in "Dunkirk" - I liked them quite a lot.

Slow? I prefer that very much to many movies, where WW1 and WW2 aircraft operate and move like modern jet planes)

Edited by Wolfram-Harms

Well, sorry. I have a twisted mind and sometimes I'm cryptical. Mine is an ambivalent message. The End is Nigh of course but not because of this game (if you play it less than 8 hours a day). It's simply that I can't visualize a better¬† simulation than this one (in the best conditions: best HW, no bugs, AI clever, etc.)¬† BEFORE we reach the End of the World. For this last issue I redirect you to the science section of any newspaper. And please don't start a debate about that or you will find yourself at the business end of my ShVAK and Berezins very soon at Berloga. ‚öĒÔłŹ. The Dunkirk stuff, well, I concede. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the last air battle I enjoyed was this (on Cinerama you could feel your bones shaking at the Hueys rotors):¬†

Edited by melkarth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, melkarth said:

Well, sorry. I have a twisted mind and sometimes I'm cryptical. Mine is an ambivalent message.

Naw, I was only making some fun of it - I did perfectly understand what you meant to say, melkarth - even though it was perhaps expressed a bit complex. :salute:

The "Ride of the Walkyries" scene in APOCALYPSE NOW! is definitely bone-shaking - no question.
But must all air combat scenes produce such intense feelings?

I felt very tense and anxious with those Spitfire pilots in the DUNKIRK movie - for them it was more than enough "boneshaking trouble" they were in.

Especially American productions often pour out their well-filled cornucopia of sound and vision over the audiences.
But if we just immerse ourselves a bit into those guys in DUNKIRK, who were young, and maybe not too experienced;

then we might be able to "really feel" the "boneshakingness" of such moments.

(I don't mean to say though, that DUNKIRK was an overall great film - I didn't think so, to be honest)

I don't want air combat to be presented to me like "The Red Baron" or "Flyboys" - I want to see rather plain average human pilots

in non-miraculous combat aircraft. I like to see a certain heavyness of those crates, and that they had to obey Newton's laws of physics.

Just my 2 cent - but as you say: it's in the eye of the beholder, of course.

2 minutes ago, melkarth said:

...we are going Off-Topic, but I just discovered this treasure, Marseille with a castillian accent...

Oh dear - the film industry effects departments have come a long way! (Now, if they would use it more realistic, it would just be grand).

Yeah, back to topic, I guess!

17 hours ago, Poochnboo said:

As someone who is playing it on a 4 year old ASUS laptop, I just don't think it needs all that much power. I do have a quad core I7, buts only 2.93 GHZ. I have a 2GB NVidea graphics card and only the 8 GB's of RAMM that the machine came with. Not exactly a monster computer. And I play with settings on high.

Yes you are right. Its great at the moment, but think what this sim could be if and when the computing power will increace. And when the next gen VR will come in the market. That will make it even better.

I liked the Dunkirk movie very much as well, but I did think that 1C/777 would have done a better job on the CGI. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Vig said:

I liked the Dunkirk movie very much as well, but I did think that 1C/777 would have done a better job on the CGI. 

What scenes are you referring to? As far as I can see very very little of the movie was done with cgi, and I’m pretty sure 1C/777 is does not specifically make computer generated effects for movies. 

Looking at clips available on the web now I can't find any specific examples. 

Edited by Vig
Didn't know what I was talking about, apparently

19 hours ago, angus26 said:

very very little of the movie was done with cgiÔĽŅÔĽŅÔĽŅÔĽŅÔĽŅ

Apart from the really awkward obvious bits. Like the he111 going in with a splash about 1/8th the size it should been, or the awks slapping of a stationary prop over the working one on Hardy's spit when he makes his 800th kill of the movie (how much ammo was he carrying?!). I do respect Mr Nolan but I can't say I consider Dunkirk his best at all. Most of the sfx failures are due to shonky model work rather than cgi though, I'll give you. 

53 minutes ago, Diggun said:

Apart from the really awkward obvious bits. Like the he111 going in with a splash about 1/8th the size it should been, or the awks slapping of a stationary prop over the working one on Hardy's spit when he makes his 800th kill of the movie (how much ammo was he carrying?!). I do respect Mr Nolan but I can't say I consider Dunkirk his best at all. Most of the sfx failures are due to shonky model work rather than cgi though, I'll give you. 

True, some of the model work was a bit iffy with the he 111. We should probably de-rail this Dunkirk analysis and get back to complementing this wonderful game. 

:poster_offtopic:

• Like 1

Yes, my point was not to criticize the movie but to say that I find our game graphics to be excellent and seamless.

This game really is the best there is. I've flown nearly every flight sim over the past 30+ years and this one with VR is hands down the most enjoyable experience I've had. One thing that doesn't get mentioned a lot is just how good this game is in VR. I've repeatedly tried to get into the other flight sim, recently I purchased their newly released jet but the VR is just no good.

I love the developer, the community, and the game. I'm hoping the MP issues will get resolved sooner than later but regardless, they are nailing it with this one. And, even better things are on the horizon..

• Upvote 2

On 6/5/2018 at 1:40 PM, Wolfram-Harms said:

All those "issues" and stuff made me think: why not post something positive for a change?

After all, the makers of this sim are only human. Constant dripping wears the stone.

Don't we all flourish like plants, when we hear or read something nice and friendly?

So I'll start with a positive observation about the sound.
The "sound mechanics" are kinda stepchildren in sims - man is a visual being firstly.
But when you listen, you find how much work must have gone into this department.

I like it, when I watch my TRACKS in outside view and - moving around the Bf 109 (in flight) - to hear the change, when I come to the front section.

More and more I can hear the whistling of the turbo charger! I LOVE this distinct sound shaping - well done, boys!

I personally love this sim. It's almost an unhealthy obsession lol. IL-2 has a great balance between sim and game and I'm still just enjoying SP, especially since this new career mode, so there's still more fun to be had in MP for me... getting my ass kicked most likely.

I created a similarly positive "I love this sim" post recently because I played the original IL-2 along with a couple others back in the day and then I had a long period where I didn't PC game at all, so when I finally built a gaming box again and saw that there were some mature IL-2 products, I knew they'd be my first to try and I was hooked the second I felt how realistic the flight was and when I got into intense, immersive battles. This sim's great and I play it more than anything else at the moment regardless of its quirks.

I will say though that sometimes people are just reporting bugs so that they can help. I don't know the posts you're referring to, but I've definitely seen some negative posts that really didn't do much to help and seemed as though their purpose was to complain more than it was to bring the attention to the developers. I just hope people can differentiate those negative hater posts from the posts where people are genuinely just reporting bugs that are posted to make the game better. I have a software background and developers are used to reporting bugs when we see them so that the software can be improved upon (not that we're anymore special than anyone else reporting bugs). But reporting bugs doesn't mean we dislike the rest of the sim by any means. It just means that we see places where the game can be made even better and unless people report those bugs, some of them may continue to bother others or even turn some people away from the sim which is bad for the team and the community. I don't know the posts you're referring to though so apologies if my point was irrelevant. Just saying that reporting "technical issues" is usually good, complaining about them is not.

Edited by obit
  • Upvote 1

On 6/9/2018 at 1:26 AM, melkarth said:

Well, sorry. I have a twisted mind and sometimes I'm cryptical. Mine is an ambivalent message. The End is Nigh of course but not because of this game (if you play it less than 8 hours a day). It's simply that I can't visualize a better¬† simulation than this one (in the best conditions: best HW, no bugs, AI clever, etc.)¬† BEFORE we reach the End of the World. For this last issue I redirect you to the science section of any newspaper. And please don't start a debate about that or you will find yourself at the business end of my ShVAK and Berezins very soon at Berloga. ‚öĒÔłŹ. The Dunkirk stuff, well, I concede. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the last air battle I enjoyed was this (on Cinerama you could feel your bones shaking at the Hueys rotors):¬†

I watched apocalypse now at Cinerama in Seattle. That scene was f-ing crazy. You could see the actors were sh!tting themselves in the back of those hueys. 

• Haha 1