P-51D Interesting characteristic

TexasWarbird

[TWB]Sauerkraut-
1 hour ago, AeroAce said:

@itsthatguy

As far as I can remember from going to airshows the whistle is there constantly but i might be wrong. The air flow will not be straight into the ports even when straight and level as the fuselage and wing will be curling the airflow presenting it at a slight angle to test ports. Of course the effect will magnify when at a actual slip angle.

Yes, the whistle will almost always be there, since the airflow will never be perfectly parallel to the gunport. However, in most videos it is only loud enough to hear when pulling a higher AoA or slip, as I mentioned.

Gambit21

It's quite noticeable on the Hellcat when it's flying level, but not nearly so dramatic and overbearing as it is in the Mustang video and the severe turn.

It's more of an undertone...very cool sounding.

[N.O.G.F]_Cathal_Brugha

BTW I was just flying the P-51B in IL-2 1946 with B.A.T. mod and the whistling sound is there in level flight, dipping in volume and frequency when the speed drops below 200 mph.

• Thanks 1
TexasWarbird
2 hours ago, Cathal_Brugha said:

BTW I was just flying the P-51B in IL-2 1946 with B.A.T. mod and the whistling sound is there in level flight, dipping in volume and frequency when the speed drops below 200 mph.

Speaking of IL2 1946, I completely forgot I had 1946 C.U.P. installed on my PC. I'll have to test this once I make it home. Which is better though BAT or CUP? Not to change the topic. :poster_offtopic:

Edited by TexasWarbird
[N.O.G.F]_Cathal_Brugha
Just now, TexasWarbird said:

Speaking of IL2 1946, I completely forgot I had 1946 C.U.P. installed on my PC. I'll have to test this once I make it home. 

BTW C.U.P is obsolete and has been superseded by B.A.T. Just incase  you didn't know.

• Thanks 1
novicebutdeadly
On 6/6/2018 at 11:55 PM, RedKestrel said:

The 109 is 7000m above, waiting...

Only 7000m... something wrong with the engine?? 😂

Edited by novicebutdeadly