BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 49

It´s simple! You take the photos in pause mode. ;)

Jeeze, Ram, silly me, I shoulda thought of that. Thanks, by the way, and lets keep it within the family, okay?

Mööp. You should've waited with that comment I guess.

Not sure what a moop is. I guess I could have waited, but then it really doesn't matter. It's still alpha and entirely too many individuals have purchased this product anticipating a complete product that is finalised. Case in point, this test. It allows the dev team to narrow down performance variables rather than individuals tweaking. And even then, the SSAO is no longer the performance killer it was, and at ultra doesn't look nearly as greasy as it did in the past.

So many complain "but I just want to play and have fun!" with an alpha. That's not the point of this. The point is to run it, test it, and report not what the majority are doing and expecting a product that should be enjoyable and tweakable to their heart's content. That's still many, many months away. And no, I don't believe the majority realise that.

• Upvote 3

I have been flying the Lagg ground attack mission in Stalingrad some this evening, I am still seeing some major stuttering when close to the ground and strafing. I will be lined up with the target approaching low at a shallow angle, start firing my machine guns and/or cannon, and the thing will just sometimes immediately go to a slideshow briefly, like 8 fps or so, when I stop firing and pull up, it goes immediately right back up to around 70 fps.

Only seems to happen when I am very low and firing continuously over Stalingrad.

My system runs BOS very, very good and overall my framerates are very high, so not sure what is going on here.

Is no one else seeing this??

I am running on " Balanced" graphic preset, framerates unlocked, vsync disabled. This never happened in the ground attack missions on the previous builds.

Edited by dburnette

As long as the ability to tweak custom settings later is added, i'm fine with the decision.

In ROF I can run everything maxed out and get 40+ frames consistently, but if i turn on super sampling my computer craps itself. So being able to tweak these things are very important, and one of the reasons we are PC gamers is because we get options.

• Upvote 1

Just went for a bumble about stalingrad, man i wish we had a Storch or Po-2 for this sim, would love to be able to go properly low and slow to have a look at some of the sites. As a big RO2 player, it's great seeing all of the locations from that game in their greater context here. 

If I might make a suggestion, something that could add to the feel of the place, would be tank wrecks scattered about, make the place (such as mamayev kurgan, which seems a bit barren at the moment) feel more fought over. The smoke effect is fantastic, by the way. 

• Upvote 1

The settings dont bother me a bit and everything is looking very nice with the ultra setting turned on, runs butter smooth on my laptop. this is going to be one hell of a sim I think. im sure the devs are aware of some obvious bug so i will not even go there.

awesome so far 

Just went for a bumble about stalingrad, man i wish we had a Storch or Po-2 for this sim, would love to be able to go properly low and slow to have a look at some of the sites. As a big RO2 player, it's great seeing all of the locations from that game in their greater context here. 

If I might make a suggestion, something that could add to the feel of the place, would be tank wrecks scattered about, make the place (such as mamayev kurgan, which seems a bit barren at the moment) feel more fought over. The smoke effect is fantastic, by the way. 

+1 on the tank wrecks

Crazy ...first three pages of people screaming and wailing about the presets...even before trying them out. This always amazes me. I am not saying they don't know what they are talking about , but why not wait before experimenting the thing before ranting and then give your feedback .

You don't have to put fingers into a wall socket to know that it will end unpleasantly. There are just some kind of changes that will allways remain bad no matter how long you experiment with them.

I had a single flyout and dogfight run in the F4 and everything is smooth on ultra settings. All looks awesome and now I spot the enemy earlier. At least I think so... Could be it's experience.

Only thing I miss is kind of support for my Warthog. It seems I can not map/bind the functions to the switches and buttons I want (prop-pitch is difficult to map anyway) - and the game freezes when I'm in the settings section. And it does it in a way that forces me to switch of the rig. Check my hardware in my sig.

Edited by White1

"unfortunately a lot of our players consider themselves as IT experts but actually they have no clue"

That's gonna hurt....

"unfortunately a lot of our players consider themselves as IT experts but actually they have no clue"

That's gonna hurt....

Couldnt believe my eyes when I saw that. BTW Im an "IT expert" which doesnt have a connection with me or anybody else wanting to change few ingame video sliders or change conf settings. Its not that hard really.

Edited by tikvic

Ok so I reported earlier in this thread, performance for me was very good with the exception when I was flying low over Stalingrad strafing ground targets, at times it would immediately start stuttering huge and fps drop around to 6-8 fps almost instantly whilst firing my guns and or cannons, then when pulling up and continuing on they immediately went back up into the 70's. I also had this happen a couple of times whilst landing when I started my flare over the runway.

This is in the Balanced preset, vysnc off, AA set to 8X.

Did a few more sessions this morning with the same ground attack Stalingrad mission in the Lagg, this time I locked framerates to 60 fps in the game settings, this appears to have for the most part done away with the severe stuttering/FPS loss when strafing ground targets.

Again, the above never happened in previous builds while strafing ground targets, FPS remained consistent and performance smooth throughout the strafing.

To limit the graphic settings is terrible choice.

1. As technology goes forward changes need to be made. Companies that are on the recieving end dont react so fast.

2. Many missions or online games will need tweaking. For example i know it will be pure air battle so im not interested how ground objects look. Or i will be bomber and i change somethink else. Why i would select inferior preselected filter that changes everythink?

3. People who play ROF or IL-2 1946 are actualy mostly experts in those fields. In il-2 1946 is actualy important to know what option is doing what action.

I remember how 1C was telling people how skinning in il-2 is bad and how only they can do it properly. And we all knew how that ended...

• Upvote 1

THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS FOR FIXING THE BF-109F-4! :biggrin: 

If this is the 'un-finished' Stalingrad map, I can't imagine what the real deal is going be like. Excellent work and I love the ambient combat on the ground. BTW for data reference my PC is two years old and I can run 'Ultra' settings with very minor twitching.

• AMD Phenom II X4 910 2.8GHx quad
  • Crucial 8GB DDR3 dual CH 1333MHz
  • PNY GTX650 Ti 2GB GDDR5
  • AsRock970DE3/U3S3

THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN I LOVE THE NEW PATCH!    :biggrin: 

The graphics presets are terrific and the map is just utterly wonderful.  :happy:  This access period was extremely fun. Thanks!  :salute: MJ

My recollection is totally opposite to yours.

Skinning was actively encouraged.

That's why the void files were released.

In fact, Oleg Maddox recently commented on how they felt that encouraging user created content helped them.

http://www.simhq.com/air-combat/il-2-sturmovik-part1.html

I'm not sure what your point is but distorting the facts never helps.

Riiight except some things were hardcoded like panel lines and rivets etc. And yes ofc they were supportive since their game was going to die and was unplayable. In fact current modding community has to work with 0 percent support as nothink was provided to the community. So no one needs to distort anythink as time has proven they were wrong.

Edited by Rastignac

Riiight except some things were hardcoded like panel lines and rivets etc. And yes ofc they were supportive since their game was going to die and was unplayable. In fact current modding community has to work with 0 percent support as nothink was provided to the community. So no one needs to distort anythink as time has proven they were wrong.

No, those items were not hardcoded in the Il-2 series. They were a layer, but could easily be edited. Of course nothing was provided to the modding community, the game was not intended to be modded and had security in place to prevent it. If it can be "modded" that means it's been hacked and online you can't be playing fair if the game can be hacked, which was proven when the Il-2 series was finally hacked and people were playing online with FMs that were highly modified for advantageous reasons.

Edited by FuriousMeow

Is he talking about CoD maybe?

I think he is because I make skins all day everyday for IL-2 1946 w/o incident.

Froze 4 times tonight.  3 times in settings & once in game.  Here's my set up:

System: 64-bit Win 7 Ultimate, DirectX 11

CPU: Intel I7-4770k @ 3.5GHz

RAM: (memory) Corsair Vengeance of DDR3 1600 SDRAM 8GB (7.94 usable) - 2 more 8GB's on their way!

GPU Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 

Solid State Drive: Intel 520 Series 240GB disk space / storage

Gaming Mother Board: MSI Z87-G45 Wicked (Intel Z87 chipset)

Sound Blaster Cinema

Natural Point TrackIR 5

Warthog Stick & Throttle

MFG Crosswind Pedals - in transit, eta next week

Sony MDR-MA900 w/ Mod Mic v4.0

I've heard something about people having freezes with Warthog sticks. Post your problem in the Early Discussion bug report thread after checking through for similar ones from the last few days.

Not sure what a moop is. I guess I could have waited, but then it really doesn't matter.

I only meant, that your point of "SSAO doesn't matter, because it's still possible to deactivate it in the ini" was an incorrect statement.

That you now turned your answer totally around, was to be expected though, as you keep doing that in your "you're all wrong!" posts.

• Upvote 2

Nice work on Stalingrad map! Game is stable and fps is very good on ultra settings and limitless map, no lag or stuttering of any kind.

FM feels great IMO, feels like flying and planes handle beautifully in general. Dont know if landing is easier now or have i just became better :)

Graphics presettings are ok for early stage testing purposes but in final product there should be normal options available. Game looks and sounds great allready.

Hopefully QMB is not far away ;)

My rig: 4670k@4.2GHz

8 GB ddr3 ram

GTX 660ti 2GB

I tested the full Stalingrad map first.

While flying over the city at 1000m altitude I get about 45 fps. 

At 100m altitude it's 35-40 fps mostly.

These while using the inside cockput view.

Quite smooth. Didn't notice any big problems.

Edited by ph1317

..... for the difficulty settings: I really would like to know what is the game's definition of easy, veteran, ...

If you press the custom settings for difficulty you get all the options: I think the boxes outlined in green are on for normal but disabled for expert, while the box for auto engine start is on unless you uncheck it yourself.

Just a quick summary of my impression of this update after spending much time with it over the weekend. Pretty much most of my time was spent on the ground attack Stalingrad mission in the Lagg. The few times I did fly free practice on unlimited map, did not see a large performance drop at all.

Overall I was pretty impressed. Some things I noticed:

The Lagg is more stable to fly now, I no longer feel/hear what sounded much like the ROF kites when turning. Turns are more stable and landing is more stable. It feels much better to me now.

Presets - My system can run pretty much everything at ultimate, but due to the SSAO implementation and no option to lower or turn it off in Ultra or High, I run in Balanced - so I lose some I could run because of this, unless I choose to live with the SSAO. I do hope we get an option to turn it off or lower it individually rather than hard coded into a preset.

Stuttering - When running with unlimited frame rates - my system runs in the 70's on average, 50's when low and fighting over the city, 80's when more of the sky in view. However when running on unlimited, when I strafe grown targets whilst firing, it will immediately drop into single digit fps and have horrible stuttering. Happened couple of times while landing after flaring over the runway as well. Setting frame rates locked to 60fps in the graphics options, seems to resolve this. I am somewhat surprised have not seen this reported from others, I doubt I am alone on this one.

Sounds are really good, ricocheting sound of the bullets is nice.

Smoke columns - look really good, the slow fade in at times is a little annoying, but if needed for performance I can certainly live with it.

Off to work, have a great week gang, look forward to what is brought to us next weekend.

I only meant, that your point of "SSAO doesn't matter, because it's still possible to deactivate it in the ini" was an incorrect statement.

That you now turned your answer totally around, was to be expected though, as you keep doing that in your "you're all wrong!" posts.

Nothing was turned around. I have been saying the presets aren't a bad thing, probably aren't permanent, most likely to make sure the alpha is properly tested rather than tweaked and screwing things up which leads to the dev team chasing down bugs that don't exist other than in the user's end configuration.

But you are wrong, if you think this is complete and definite I'll refer you to the Spring release time frame and the 38% development.

With the diffferent graphic setting options, Ultra worked and looked best. ---great work !!! ---

cheers--sf--

Hi ,This weekends testing saw System crashes and Desktop crashes which I have not experienced before .All information is posted in the appropriate area where  there seems to be a wide variety of types of hardware of other users finding the same problems .Glad you have the IT expertise there to sort this out :biggrin: . Good work on the map .Despite the crashes I still managed to fly approximately 150k radius in the Lagg 3 until a ctd ended the exploration .Enjoyable ,thanks :salute:  

Possible suttle effect changes noticed in this Alpha's release to date:

* Ignition Flame and exhaust on plane start ups (external, internal)

* Damage model in arial combat (in short cockpit gauges etc and plane external structure)

* Heat haze from flaming bogeys

* Temp guage in F4 appears to vary when plane is running

* smoking engine effect increasing with time/damage

Note: Some of these effects may have already been there?

What have the other Alpha players noticed?

I really like the detail in the FM.s individual handeling and appearance.

The explosions, damage effects all look visually stunning. Where getting freedom in game play and other appreciated features, I hope and wish this remains.

With the technoligy out there atm, who knows what nice surprises we may or may not receive from the devolpers of this sim?

Am pleased I can play this Alpha, and enjoy seeing the updates the Devs have for us. Its like a present/surprise every time they announce something new.

Speaking for myself, I trust the devs and the decisions they make, so as players of this Alpha shouldnt we all?