BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 49

To even things out a bit on multiplayer, server should be able to lock resolution.

Edited by DD_Crash
  • Upvote 1

Why should they not offer support/help for advanced settings? It's their game. They should explain what things do instead of locking them away. I understand them not getting involved in third party mods, but changing settings they provide is their business.

Locking  the settings to four rigid "bundles" will guaranty that most people will get less than they did before. Less performance if they want better looks, and crappy looks if they need better performance.

I agree with you, but I'm giving them a suggestion that fits with their reasoning for this change while allowing us to still have advanced settings.

And for the last time:  With this engine, there is no advantage to having lower resolution!  None, nada, zip!

From Russian forum:

В данный момент 00:30 по Москве это самый оптимистичный план.

"The most optimistic time is 00:30 MSK (20:30 GMT)"

Thanks for the update.

From Russian forum:

"The most optimistic time is 00:30 MSK (20:30 GMT)"

Thanks for the update news , Perhaps it may be possible with the final release to recommend various settings for hardware that would tie in with recommended settings for the same hardware within the game setup GUI itself ? A fully comprehensive setup and game operation manual would be a definite first for a release for sure : in most previous releases of flight simulators or games dredging through forum pages has been the only way to optimise performance or find settings that may be creating glitches . Periodic manual updates or revisions would be a good idea too . 

The game doesn't start after update. Is it only me?

Have you cleared that folder: \IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\updates ?

Recording of todays live stream, unfortunately I missed the drivable tanks and the IL-2 and all commentary is only in Russian (think Jason was not online in TS this time around).

Have you cleared that folder: \IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\updates ?

No, but I had to? I just updated the game via laucher, as usual.. It still doesn't work, even after recovery.

Edited by Lextor

Gents, we (Loft and I) made a short live stream earlier todday. No announcements were made, noone was properly warned. We just wanted to show the current dev progress on a local game version, so we've streamed it for 30 mins.

We didn't have time to prepare a decent English voiceover so please, wait for the next Monday (Tuesday max) - we'll record similar stream in English for you.

Just in case you'd like to see what's been there today - link (we speak Rissian here)

HI chaps

downloading at this time...

But a couple of thoughts; we're still at the experimental stage so may these four presets will not survive through to the 100% game if we don't like it and it doesn't work for the community? Let's hope that a little democracy happens IF there are issues.

Secondly, as much as I applaud the intent to make game play as equal as possible, I can't see it being effective; there's everything from your internet connection and speed through to your PC and controller set ups that can give advantages. Yes it would be fantastic if a server game could make everyone see what everyone else sees at the same graphical level to avoid a little "gaming the game", and it could be a locked down feature like fuel load, realism settings,  and so on. I've read posts about altering game files to make spotting easier and so on - well if you feel the need to do so, carry on. However to me as a crap flyer and easy cannon fodder, it's not a big issue - I just want to soak up the experience and the views if I can.

Salute all - happy flying at whatever settings you can manage!

Ooooooh and we're in - byeeeeeeee!

Edited by Revd_A_Belling

@ Loft

That's the best update to date.  Much appreciate and understand your meaning.

That's the kind of info that I've been wanting to hear/see.

Good thinking and planning.  Good times ahead.  I'm buying.  :salute:

Well, I wasn't intending on playing online multiplayer so would have appreciated having my own control over graphical settings, especially as I play in stereoscopic 3D which sometimes requires some special effects to be turned off. Fixed graphical settings is pretty dissapointing direction I must say. Personally, as a 30 year veteran of I.T industry, I found the I.T expert reference rather condescending and insulting. It wasn't necessary and came off pretty arrogant to me.

Cant find the SSAO option in cfg file (startup file) after this update. Is it gone?

Edited by tikvic

It's an alpha. If it doesn't work well for you report it in the EARLY ACCESS DISCUSSION FORUM, don't get all upset and complain.

You probably shouldn't have purchased this early if you expected a smooth ride without a lot of issues.

Spring is the end game and the focus, from here till then everything we report and give our input creates a terrific product for all of us. And when I say report, I mean, report it in an objective manner not "this is borked! I want this now, I go play <insert game> and have issues putting my pants on!"

Edited by FuriousMeow
  • Upvote 2

I cant believe what I have read :o:  They removed the Custom Graphic Settings what would be next cutted out?  Wait, maybe RoF gets the same Update, too? :angry:

Well, theres a lot cutted out from the RoF Game Engine! Just look at BoS vs RoF Graphic Settings.

How can it be that the Original RoF Game Engine has a better Performance than the modified Version of it at the same Graphic Settings? That is disappointed....

Just DL'ed the update. Set the graphics to Ultra on the Stalingrad map. Pretty darn smooth. Much more so than I expected considering I'm still using an Nvidia 550TI. Graphically it looks really good to me. The sounds seem better too but it might be my imagination. One other effect I noticed was the flames coming off a burning LaGG really looked impressive. Again it might be my imagination as I didn't fly much during the last open access.

Anyone who is upset about the limited graphic selections should at least try them out this weekend and see where it goes from there. It sounds like a testing option for the developers more than a permanent solution.

• Upvote 2

How can it be that the Original RoF Game Engine has a better Performance than the modified Version of it at the same Graphic Settings? That is disappointed....

Better performance?  Measured how?

And you are comparing Alpha code to a released product.

I am experiencing the same bug as reported here by 150GCT_Mamakin: http://forum.il2stur...d-maps/?p=56440

Probably related to Radeon HD48xx (mine is HD 4800)

The bug is there in all preset settings except for Low

I was able to get rid of that bug by making changes to strartup.cfg - that was before, now the options in setting are restricted :(

Edited by Roto

Drivable tank...  :o: 

AMAZING !!

If true...

Welcome to 21st Century !!!  Beautiful Work developers !!   :biggrin:

Downloading update ...

Ok I just tried it and this graphics pre-sets idea is a huge step backwards, sorry but I like to have control of my graphics. Not being able to turn off ssao is a huge disappointment (looks terrible when on). I'll have to wait till the next update and hope these guys come to their senses.

just my opinion but you don't take away options that weren't posing a problem in the first place, I know this is alpha but fix what needs fixing don't break what ain't broke.

Kudos for everything else though, really.

F

Edited by frenchfly
  • Upvote 1

Graphics at  maximum in BF109 or Lagg-3  a wonderful expenrience  I had a little graphic burg at  the  start only with the BF-109 and not in the mission on the pre mission map, it was the map it self that did  sake like hell and it did happend only once... a new IL2 1946 is born with ROF way of building up the game...

Lagg_in_parking.jpg