NETSCAPE

Battle for Velikiye Luki units and airfields help

I'm familiar with the ground units, weapons and battle. I only recently looked into trying to dig up the details about what air units were involved. So far I've found:

VVS: 

12 IAP (Yak-1)

671 SHAP (IL-2)

11 RAP (Yak-2)

LW:

12./JG 51 (Bf 109 F-2)

2.(H)/23 Aufklarungs (Hs 123 A)

(I know they were also flying in supplies to the cut off troops via He 111, Ju 52 and gliders.)

I'm always mulling over ideas for missions and campaigns. If you have any other info on units involved (especially if they're base is on the Velikiye Luki map we have) I'm all ears. I'm leaning towards the player flying VVS for this scenario. But I can't confirm the above VVS units air base locations during the battle. 

I believe there was also a jabostaffel of 109 E-7s from JG 51 operating in that area.

• Upvote 1

Ok thanks Luke. I also read Stuka's were involved. Based on Sturzkampfgeschwader locations I am assuming StG 77 was involved to some degree in the battle. 

For sure this could turn into quite an epic CO-OP mission with all sorts of roles and missions to fill. Originally was researching for campaign ideas though honestly...

2 hours ago, NETSCAPE said:

11 RAP (Yak-2) 

The Soviet unit should read "ORAP" and I highly doubt they flew Yak-2 at all. Should be Pe-2.

Concerning the Luftwaffe Nahaufklärer unit I don't think they operated Hs 123. Probably this should read Hs 126, but I don't know about this unit.

Elements of I./ (Fw 190 A) & IV./JG51 (Bf 109 F, later Fw 190 A) operated there based on a frozen lake SSW of Velikiye Luki. It's on the map.
The VVS also operated units based on a frozen lake to the east, but I can't recall details except for them being ShAP & IAP units.
Some elements of a StG were based to the west on Idritsa airfield.

Edited by =27=Davesteu
  • Upvote 1

I guess it doesn't really matter since we don't have a Hs a123 or 126.

I was suspecting those lake airfields might be correct in game. I have read about how they used lakes for airfields during this battle, but it never includes a map or picture or grid coordinate...

18 hours ago, NETSCAPE said:

LW:

12./JG 51 (Bf 109 F-2)

(I know they were also flying in supplies to the cut off troops via He 111, Ju 52 and gliders.)

In the book Scorched Earth 1941-1943 is mentioned Stuka's dropping supplies in Velikie Luki.

• Upvote 1