Sign in to follow this  
I./JG2_Sekij

Why is there no Free Trial like for Rise of Flight

Hey Fellow Whales,

i just tought why a niche game like Il2 which even has a Gunner Coop mode (i know not so cool on multiplayer server because they take away pilot slots :D). I mean for RoF it worked quite well.

Giving the Free user like a LaGG and the G2 or so. And also playing with friends in Gunner mode. (not to mention that it helps people to see if the game is even able to run smooth on their machines)

I did this with a Friend in RoF (i extra bought some Two Seatters for that) and it was a blast... sadly there are not many people in RoF. 

• Upvote 2

Being a gunner was a blast in ROF, but its not the same thing here. The IA gunner is godlike compare to a human one. And the sales strategy is entirely different from ROF. The system works by packs and not by planes altought giving a free trial is not a terrible idea.

2 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Because free access to the game dramatically decreases revenue.

Really depends, you can see the games that work best atm are the free games with in game currency. But since this is a flight sim and the audience is much smaller and from a different demographic you might be right. (also the system where you had to purchases the modifactions for a plane in ROF really triggered me)

Salutations,

One can obtain a real feel for IL2 by watching the hundreds of YouTube videos. One is either into flight simulations or they aren't. As BraveSirRobin stated, the game is still a work in progress and revenue is critical for its' improvement and expansion. 

I agree with the OP. Definitely don't see how letting players fly a LaGG or a BF109 variant would "Decrease revenue".

If anything, it would provide the game even more exposure and potentially even boost sales. 

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, I./JG2_Sekij said:

Hey Fellow Whales,

i just tought why a niche game like Il2 which even has a Gunner Coop mode (i know not so cool on multiplayer server because they take away pilot slots :D). I mean for RoF it worked quite well.

Giving the Free user like a LaGG and the G2 or so. And also playing with friends in Gunner mode. (not to mention that it helps people to see if the game is even able to run smooth on their machines)

I did this with a Friend in RoF (i extra bought some Two Seatters for that) and it was a blast... sadly there are not many people in RoF. 

In one of the last Q&A's, Jason Williams (Lead Producer) mentioned a demo was in the works. Not too much elaboration but clearly there's a desire on the part of the devs to work on some sort of demo.

They are a small team so time devoted to the demo means time away from something else. It definitely has to be built into their product plan.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, I./JG2_Sekij said:

Hey Fellow Whales,

"IL-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles Demo and Series

In 2018 we plan to release a Free Limited Demo for Sturmovik that will allow new customers to easily try Sturmovik. Users can then purchase content to turn their demo into their home-base for all things Sturmovik. More details on the Great Battles Demo first quarter of 2018."

good idea

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A free plane like the lagg wouldn't be a bad idea at all. As man-yac said, models similar to this are really effective in today's market. It can spark people's interest to begin collecting the different packages.

Most of the people I talk to who are unsure about getting the game are unsure if they can run it, and don't know if they're ready for a more realistic sim, so having a "cheap" (including the cost of a basic joystick) demo that lets you experience some of the features of the game and leaves you wanting more would probably convert a lot of people. A couple of scripted missions, QMB on the Veliki/Lapino maps, and access to multiplayer servers like how RoF did it would be fine

If they were going to do two free planes, one for each side like Rise of Flight, what would be the best choices? Ideally you want planes that can introduce Il-2's strengths, dogfighting and ground attack, that will tempt you into investing into a full battle or four

Hurricane? LaGG-3 early series? P-40B? The Il-2 itself?

Bf-109E-4/F-1? Early Stukas? Hs-123?

As the game grows, adding a demo becomes easier. Earlier, a demo likely wasn’t feasible because it would have required giving away a significant fraction of the existing assets for free (a map and a plane would have been half of Stalingrad). 

Now that new maps and aircraft are coming quickly, sacrificing a few for a demo isn’t difficult. However, I do wonder exactly what they plan to include. Will it be new or existing assets?

An Il-2 demo without an Il-2 would be strange, but only including an Il-2 wouldn’t give new players many options. Regardless, it will be interesting to see what happens with this demo announcement. 

I have a feeling a demo is coming from Jason's recent statement.

On 5/26/2018 at 1:00 PM, Jason_Williams said:

... We'll also have a re-vamp of our STEAM integration coming in June that will require every IL-2 STEAM customer's attention and participation and patience, but it will be worth it. I finally see light at the end of the tunnel so things should start to get back to normal for me soon. ...

Jason

I have a feeling that this will include the base game as a free product with the "Battles of..." being the DLC from the store.

• Upvote 1

If you hang around the forum long enough, you're bound to catch a free trial with all the generous giveaways here.

Free plane?

IL2 1941 series, with lots of ground targets to attack...  the game is called IL2 Sturmovik is it not?

New players don't need lots of options, they just need a taste of gameplay and to see if the game will run on their machines... Simples!

• Upvote 3

Free version on steam would be fail, just like Rise of Flight that got loooots of bad reviews, people who say you can't play game because all planes are locked and you have to pay for everything etc. Even now in il-2 people cry and most reviews are about game that has 8 planes and 16 is locked or about premium ones that cost 20$. While what people write there is worth shit, overall score is not. When people see "Mixed" score they will automatically get less interested in it (even tho lots of medicore games are really fun to play). :poster_offtopic: (hehe) People just expect that every game willl have battlefield graphic and if small studio makes a fun little game, with cool mechanics and really fun to play, there will always be crying about graphic being like 2005 (even tho it does not look that bad). Currently I have 10 years old pc, so i started buying bunch of older games i played as a kid or never really tried and i must say, it's more fun than games they make today. Currently playing Commandos series, got bunch of old RPG that will let me have fun for hundreds of hours, like Baldurs gate, Icewind Dale, Turment and more. And it's really nice to buy a game  for 5$ and have fun for 50-100h (if rpg) or even commandos that takes at least 30h. 

The point is, people who get to try something for free, with "Free" or "Free to play" button will play for 30min, see bunch of locked planes, you have to pay a bit to get them, will cry that it's too hard to control planes and will leave bad review, lowering score and then go back to War Thunder or Battlefield and buy 100$ "worth" lootboxes or premium dosh and will be happy there.

Short version, demo? Yes. F2P version? No.

• Upvote 6

@InProgress;  very good post, agree completely.:salute:

A demo is planned, if I had to guess it will be a few single missions and the IL-2 mod.42.

But to add something to this discussion, I can't agree more with what others have said, advertising the game as 'free to play' would be a big mistake. I'm glad that Jason doesn't seem to be going down that route.

In RoF they gave away way too much.  With those four free planes I could play a 15 month long german campaign, a 12 month long French campaign, or a full American campaign.  A demo makes sense but it has to be way more limited than RoF.

• Upvote 3

Although I have purchased all content and many collector planes, I'll expect free access structrue of the game.
Just like ROF, make a new training campiagn and few single mission for 1~2 free planes, seems good!!

Back in the day, LucasArts released a demo for the upcoming SWOTL. It was a single  simple mission flying an Me-262 armed with rocket attacking a single flight of three B-17s. I played it for months while I waited for the games release. Maybe my expectations of a free demo are different from others but it was enough to keep my interest.

https://archive.org/details/SWOTL

6 hours ago, InProgress said:

Free version on steam would be fail, just like Rise of Flight that got loooots of bad reviews, people who say you can't play game because all planes are locked and you have to pay for everything etc. Even now in il-2 people cry and most reviews are about game that has 8 planes and 16 is locked or about premium ones that cost 20$. While what people write there is worth shit, overall score is not. When people see "Mixed" score they will automatically get less interested in it (even tho lots of medicore games are really fun to play). 

To be honest though this and DCS get review bombed and trolled on steam already. Its just the nature of flightsims being sold to a mainstream audience, who dont have simple things like flightsticks, or the ability/patience to sit down and try to learn something that requires a little effort. I also agree it should be a more limited demo though...

What got me hooked on RoF was their limited time demo.  When you downloaded and activated the demo you got 4 planes for up to two weeks.  This makes a great deal of sense to me.  If you aren't hooked in two weeks you aren't going to be hooked.  It is also a great way to see if your rig will run the game.  

In case you are interested, I think I had the demo for two hours.  Then I bought the game, then I started buying plane packs.  Now I have every thing for every game they have produced.  I guess that means it worked?

Ps.  I wish they'd hurry up and let me give them more money for Flying Circus!

Edited by SYN_Mike77

Demo would be good . 

This is a tough one.

Too little content and the player might get an unfair impression of the sim.

Too much content and they might not bother paying for the full version. RoF is a good example of flirting with the latter as Patrick has already pointed out.

Maybe 2 aircraft, Kuban map, 8 min time limit. No online functionality.

That’s a great showcase, but assuming you like what you see, doesn’t let you abandon the notion of a full purchase.

Flight sims are quite complicated for the average punter.  A demo might prove that the Il2 series is capable of running on a potential owners system but I think good ingame videos show casing the elements that make up Il2 might be better.  Show the Campaign interface and then have some good vids of flying and dying in missions.

Not like you can really fly the Il2 series with an X-Box Controller and mouse and keyboard are not much chop either.  A little explanation on minimum control setup that would enable people to enjoy the sim would be good like a twist-grip stick with throttle slider or something.

Also pointing prospective pilots to the forums sections for help also would be a good step if releasing a demo.

58 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Maybe 2 aircraft, Kuban map, 8 min time limit. No online functionality.

That’s a great showcase, but assuming you like what you see, doesn’t let you abandon the notion of a full purchase.

I think thats a pretty good taster but an eight minute time limit?:(    I would have thought possibly a couple of weeks?  If you like what you see,  you're certainly going to miss it after a fortnight.  

Whatever they do,  don't let it be like the RoF demo. 

Smart people will just watch Lets Plays on You tube. There`s always one somewhere that lets you see everything as long as you sit through it long enough. I rarely get games I don`t like any more.

Never played demos because demos can be made to show people just what they  want you to see.

56 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

I think thats a pretty good taster but an eight minute time limit?:(    I would have thought possibly a couple of weeks?  If you like what you see,  you're certainly going to miss it after a fortnight.  

Whatever they do,  don't let it be like the RoF demo. 

I mean 8 minutes each time you boot it up. :)

Guest deleted@30725
Here are the IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad system requirements (minimum)
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i5/i7 2.8 GHz.
  • OS: 64-bit Windows® 7 (SP1) / Windows® 8 / Windows® 10.
  • VIDEO CARD: GeForce GTX 660/Radeon HD 7770 with 2GB VRAM or better.
  • SOUND CARD: DirectX®-compatible.
  • FREE DISK SPACE: 10 GB.

-

So you either run it or you can't. It's that simple.

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

I mean 8 minutes each time you boot it up. :)

I think I can see that being aggravating rather than encouraging.:biggrin:

8 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

I think I can see that being aggravating rather than encouraging.:biggrin:

LOL - 15 minutes?

Or maybe forget the time limit, and a nice scripted mission to highlight the the capability of the sim.

Something that will hook the person, but also discourage just sticking with the free demo.

Guest deleted@30725

Two seater trainer with no guns for the demo.

13553230_10209848781326987_1410742793_n.

Full flying experience and your friend can join you.

5 minutes ago, BFBunny said:

Two seater trainer with no guns for the demo.

13553230_10209848781326987_1410742793_n.

Full flying experience and your friend can join you.

Blimey!  That is ambitious.:good:  I like Gambits idea of two planes on the Kuban map with no multiplayer(:salute:) and my idea for a two week lifespan.

Mind you - since I know nothing about this sort of stuff - I recognise that from a technical stand point my idea might be a pain in the backside for the team to accomplish.:scratch_one-s_head:

Oh, if you're interested in WW2 airplanes just buy the damn thing, for Petes sake.