Sign in to follow this  
ESCOMM_FlyMaker

BoK on Steam - 2 months and counting

Come guys this already took too long. How much we have to wait?

Me and my friends still are dreaming about it

Any news?

• Upvote 1

You do know you can buy BoK from the web store and it works with Steam right?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Custard said:

You do know you can buy BoK from the web store and it works with Steam right?

Steam offers several forms of payment which are more convenient to some people. If you are located in some countries, buying directly from the website you pay in dollars, resulting in a huge increase in the final price the costumer pays. Steam allows you to pay in your local currency, so you end up paying the RSVP. In other countries, credit cards are not really a thing most people have, so you can't even buy it (not even by paypal, since you need a card for that). Once again, Steam usually offers a gift card system that allows you to buy store credit using your local currency.

20 minutes ago, Pupo said:

Steam offers several forms of payment which are more convenient to some people. If you are located in some countries, buying directly from the website you pay in dollars, resulting in a huge increase in the final price the costumer pays. Steam allows you to pay in your local currency, so you end up paying the RSVP. In other countries, credit cards are not really a thing most people have, so you can't even buy it (not even by paypal, since you need a card for that). Once again, Steam usually offers a gift card system that allows you to buy store credit using your local currency.

Which third world countries are these? Had no idea the world uses anything but credit cards for online purchasing these days. 

55 minutes ago, ESCOMM_FlyMaker said:

Come guys this already took too long. How much we have to wait?

Me and my friends still are dreaming about it

Any news?

You don't need to buy it from steam. Buy it from the site and it still works from steam. You guys have been dreaming for nothing. 

Edited by Mcdaddy

4 minutes ago, Mcdaddy said:

Which third world countries are these? Had no idea the world uses anything but credit cards for online purchasing these days. 

You should get out of your tiny bubble then. Only 30% of Portuguese people have a credit card (where i come from). If i make a credit card purchase directly to the store i pay ~10% of the RSVP due to money conversion and out of the EU charges. Even in Germany, where i live,  only 33% of the population has a credit card (in 2011) . If you are located in Germany or Portugal Steam offers payment via bank transfer, among others, as an option, with no increase in the final price. Most other vendors also provide alternative payment methods, from pre-bought  in-store credit cards, to paying in cash upon reception. The situation gets much worst if you go to south america. If you have a normal credit card for every day life you might not even be able to use it for international purchases, and if you do you might end up paying ridiculously high conversion fees. When steam started offering payment in Argentina Pesos to Argentinian citizens, buyers with no international credit card where able to save ~40% of their final cost due to no longer having to pay for money conversion fees.

We can agree that 70 USD for Il-2 is a fair price, but having to pay 100 USD for it kind of sucks. Credit cards are mostly an American / rich person thing. Selling the game on Steam greatly increases the amount of people who are able to purchase it.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Pupo said:

Funny i like to buy it from their store because paying in $ is acutally cheaper for me then using local currancy on steam 😄

• Like 2

Pupo, maybe you could add funds to your PayPal account using ordinary bank transfer? That's what I've been doing and using for gaming purchases for a few years, as I don't have a credit card either (only debit ones), nor do I intend to ever get one.

Such an option should be available for any PayPal user, no matter what country he lives in I guess?

Edited by Art-J
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Mcdaddy said:

Which third world countries are these?  Had no idea the world uses anything but credit cards for online purchasing these days. 

In a non "perfect world" own a International Credit Card in third world countries still a privilege:

In OP country to own a International Credit Cart the guy need have a giving monthly incoming and keep this card will cost  ~$60 per year.

There BoS in STEAM cost R$ 159,99 ($ 43.74 today). Let's assume he is as student without fixed incoming neither bank account - he can pay with cash in the neighborhood lottery shop*. 

In 1CGS store BoS cost $ 49.99 what today is ~R$ 184,84 - value subject to additional 6.38% federal taxation (R$ 11,79) or the game real cost is R$ 196,63 ($ 53,76) ~22.9% more than in STEAM.

There's alternatives for International Credit Card like Paypal pre-charged (can charge in the neighborhood lottery shop*), but this service work with their own currency quotations what add ~10% more in the cost.

*This services in lottery shop is an way for banks keep non rich people outside of their agencies.

Edited by Sokol1

Seriously, some countries need to get themselves some better banks. This sounds like borderline racketeering.

Maybe start some revolutions?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

didnt know I was living in a third world country, well you never stop learning.
Credit cards are pretty much only a thing in Britain and its former colonys, in the rest of the world most people dont have a credit card.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, =ARTOA=Bombenleger said:

Credit cards are pretty much only a thing in Britain and its former colonys, in the rest of the world most people dont have a credit card.

Pretty sure France isn't quite a former UK colony, though. Everybody here has one.

This is surprising to me, I've always assumed it was a common thing to have a credit card in eaurope. The more you know...

1 hour ago, Finkeren said:

Seriously, some countries need to get themselves some better banks. This sounds like borderline racketeering.

Maybe start some revolutions?

It's not the problem with the banks I dont think, more to do with fair trade, and how the main site sells the game for an american price and is fixed for american customers, and their own particular economy.

So if you're buying from a diffrent economy with a different wage structure (living costs etc) you're going to get screwed a bit, as the costs of a given product should really in a perfect world be adjusted to take into account economical differences between different countries.

Steam however knows and does this, and adjusts the price accordingly so what you are paying is not a direct translation of american dollars into whatever currency the other person in a diffrent economy is using.

I think steam knows that they cant expect people who are living in countries in which both living costs, but also salaries are lower, to pay the same price as Americans working in a place in which salary and living costs are higher, as its a whole other economy.

Edited by Wolf8312

44 minutes ago, =ARTOA=Bombenleger said:

didnt know I was living in a third world country, well you never stop learning.

Nah. Here in Denmark virtually everyone (like 95%) have a national credit card (Dankort) most often combined with VISA, and we don’t pay anywhere near the fees described here in this thread.

3 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

It's not the problem with the banks I dont think, more to do with fair trade, and how the main site sells the game for an american price and is fixed for american customers, and their own particular economy.

So if you're buying from a diffrent economy with a different wage structure (living costs etc) you're going to get screwed a bit, as the costs of a given product should really in a perfect world be adjusted to take into account economical differences between different countries.

Steam however knows and does this, and adjusts the price accordingly so what you are paying is not a direct translation of american dollars into whatever currency the other person in a diffrent economy is using.

I think steam knows that they cant expect people who are living in countries in which both living costs, but also salaries are lower, to pay the same price as Americans working in a place in which salary and living costs are higher, as its a whole other economy.

Tbh I’d be pissed if online stores generally raised the prices I pay simply because I live in a country with higher wages.

I do my best to buy and give nothing to Steam. I am not a fan of their practises... except for their refund policy which is relatively recent.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Finkeren said:

Nah. Here in Denmark virtually everyone (like 95%) have a national credit card (Dankort) most often combined with VISA, and we don’t pay anywhere near the fees described here in this thread.

Tbh I’d be pissed if online stores generally raised the prices I pay simply because I live in a country with higher wages.

Well it's really more to do with with how much you can buy with the wages. For example you may earn more than me on paper, but if I can buy two loaves of bread and you only one, then you may technically be richer but you're still more hungry than me! 😀

Like my sister lives in England earns more than me as Iive in China, but her living costs are so high I tend to be able to buy more and live more comfortably.

They just should add it to Steam already.

There is mutch potential customers waiting.

I dont see any point doing not to if person is only willing to buy it from Steam its still income to developers and company.

I dont see any reason to argue with people they do what they want and its their choise how to buy or use their money.

Personally wait BOK to Steam as well so i can turn it to Steam key.

• Like 1

I've explained this many times. Steam changed things and restricted what we can do like posting new products on Steam. Now we had to re-build out Steam support and it has taken MUCH work and money to get it done. We're not being lazy or dragging our feet. Send a letter to Gabe for making our lives more difficult. Also, all Steam players will need to "link" accounts to get the current benefits you enjoy. That's a whole other process we had to create. Plus we've had to deal with the damn GDPR law etc. The new Steam support will be released next month after some more testing. All of this stuff detracts from us working on game related things. We're a small team, our teammates wear many hats.

Jason

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2