SAG

Is the Warthog Stick worth it?

Just as the title says, i've been wanting to upgrade from my 3D Pro for a while (which i've brought back from the dead over 5 times now), and now that i have a bit of spare cash, i'd like to know if the warthog is worth it? with it's plastic gimbal and all, how does it hold up over time? or should i spend my money elsewhere? i like the gladiator Pro, but that one is  currently unavailable and i would have to import (i live in Colombia)

Any long-time Warthog users who can share their experience?

Thanks in advance! S! 

I've been using X-52s for 10 years and finally got a Warthog....Very satisfied with it. Very smooth/fluid, and accurate, with none of the annoying "hunting" wobble when trying to aim precisely.

It's horribly over-priced for having a plastic gimbal. You're better off saving the extra cash to get a VKB or Virpil Stick.

Warthog is an amazing bit of kit but very expensive, heavy and quite an old design now. Also depending on where you live the customer support can be quite bad if you need a repair as you will need to ship x amount of kgs to where their local office is based (for example if you are in the UK you would have to ship it to France if something went wrong).

Mine has started to have buttons fail after about 5 years and I'm CBA to send it off for x amount of weeks to get it fixed. But I have used this stick at least every other day and I am sure if it was a Saitek stick I would have broke at least two or three of them in the same time frame. 

I recommend it but I have been tempted to look at others that are more modern and have essentially the same sensors but for a cheaper price such as the VKB stuff.

I do not think that you can get a stick with a better overall metal build quality but some of the switches and buttons are quite cheap for what you pay. 

Also, the software is very powerful. A lot better than most that I have used from other companies.

I think if you get one you will be very happy but there are more value for money sticks out there that may not feel as nice but are just as accurate.

In my opinion, the throttle is nice, but the stick itself is just medicore.

Yes its made of metal but the internals are just crappy plastic parts.

Thrustmasters competitors have cool stuff too, the VBK Gunfihgter stick for example  is just a litte bit more expensive.

Bought mine in '14. Stiction and spring stiffness were "normal" issues from the get go, but I got used to them. Two years later the infamous O-ring detached, so It was time for disassembly (noticing the legendary crappy quality inside), re-sanding, re-greasing and fixing. Didn't help all that much, so I crafted myself a badass extension last year. Am I happy with it afterwards? Yes, and I intend to use it like that for a few next years, hopefully. Will I buy the next one when the old one breaks? Nah, not really. Russian "boutique" sticks surpassed it where it matters so I'll try to get one of these in the future, though they're even more expesive.

So far no issues with the throttle unit, I like it.

Edited by Art-J

Bought my Warthog in 2008.

The gimbal has been great for me, however this seems to be a hit or miss. There have been some pretty rough gimbals sent out. Mine though has always been smooth as it can be. With an extension it is really nice.

I did have 1 button go bad on the original grip, got a replacement grip.

I had one throttle brick on me, purchased another. No idea why it bricked, it was right after we moved so don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Having said that, I got a Virpil T-50 setup center mount with extensions and desk mount last year. It is Nirvana to me, way better than the Warthog. But the Warthog served me well for several years. Still using the Warthog throttle and no plans to replace it anytime soon.

21 minutes ago, dburne said:

Bought my Warthog in 2008.

The gimbal has been great for me, however this seems to be a hit or miss. There have been some pretty rough gimbals sent out. Mine though has always been smooth as it can be. With an extension it is really nice.

I had one throttle brick on me, purchased another. No idea why it bricked, it was right after we moved so don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Having said that, I got a Virpil T-50 setup center mount with extensions and desk mount last year. It is Nirvana to me, way better than the Warthog. But the Warthog served me well for several years. Still using the Warthog throttle and no plans to replace it anytime soon.

Yeah even though I'm interested in the Virpil throttle, I wont be picking it up unless my Warthog throttle breaks. The throttle still works as good as the day I got it, touch wood! A throttle is a much more simple matter too! Plenty of buttons/switches and a nice sturdy back and forth, is pretty much as good as it gets!

Thanks for all the replies guys! too bad that the only one i can get locally (or via Amazon) is the warthog, seems like i'll have to keep my crappy/almost-dead 3D Pro 😔

I'll give you my 2 cents

I started with the 3D pro and didn't like it from the start. I then went to a VKB Gladiator pro which is a great stick and will hold on to it because of the KG12 grip. I was in the market for a throttle when a warthog set up came available on Trademe (local version of Ebay) The throttle worked fine but the stick was broken, only the axis and  trigger button worked. So I bought it only for the throttle but had to give the stick ago. The stick had been well used and suffered from stucktion(I think that is the term) and of course faulty buttons.  I fell in love with the metal grip, weight and extra stick travel. From there I had to upgrade my stick for one of the big players. I looked straight back to VKB and had my eye on the Gunfighter setup. But there never seems to be availability so then looked at Virpil. Unfortunately I live in New Zealand and the cost to sent anything there is very very high and didn't make it practical.

Which lead me back to buying a new working Warthog setup for alot less of the price of a VKB / Virpil setup. I love it but totally take on board that its not up to the standard of a VKB or Virpil. Where I live played a part in the options that were available to me.

Edited by JohnHolmes

6 hours ago, dburne said:

@ OP Don't need be scared, case buy Warthog and this happen you have option for replace only the button. 🤪

4 hours ago, 19//SAG said:

Thanks for all the replies guys! too bad that the only one i can get locally (or via Amazon) is the warthog, seems like i'll have to keep my crappy/almost-dead 3D Pro 😔

Buy VKB - when available of course, from flightsimcontrols.com is not option for you? Their shipping cost is more affordable than in other places and they send worldwide.

Edited by Sokol1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Sokol1 said:

Buy VKB - when available of course, from flightsimcontrols.com is not option for you? Their shipping cost is more affordable than in other places and they send worldwide.

Right now VKB can not even give a delivery estimate on their products. Many folks have been waiting for quite some time. Me included but have about given up on them.

Virpil I think would be better option than VKB, if not the T-50 which requires a desk mount but for desktop there is the upcoming WarBRD that is designed for desktop and less expensive.

It is available to pre-order now with estimated shipping in early June.

https://virpil-controls.by/en/shop/sticks/vpc-warbrd-base-vpc

Note that is just the base, would also need to order grip.

One could probably get it long before VKB has any product available to actually ship.

They just changed their availability date on their website to " To Be Determined"...

With today's news from VKB sounds like it might be quite a while.

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?p=14041

Like I mentioned though, my Warthog served me quite well, even with couple of shortcomings for several years.

Edited by dburne

1 hour ago, Sokol1 said:

@ OP Don't need be scared, case buy Warthog and this happen you have option for replace only the button. 🤪

You got me excited there for a moment, but it seems that in South America they only ship to Bolivia, Argentina, Brazil and Ecuador. too bad they don't ship to Colombia 😔

I know that i could change out switches on the Warthog as i'm a bit handy with electronics but i only want to pay a premium price for a premium product 😕

Thanks for the help though Sokol! S!

9 minutes ago, Seb71 said:

Virpil seems to ship to Colombia.

Thats awesome Seb, thanks! now any ideas on which of these have a metal gimbal?

They have two bases (gimbals), both metal:

- MongoosT-50

Internals picture (the base is upside down in this photo):

1004072603_VirpilMongoosT-50gimbal.thumb.jpg.d8990f7c1ca86825aebc0f274ddb2812.jpg

- WarBRD

Internals picture:

WarBRDMech_011.thumb.png.ac203c58f933a442dbc2fc224daba538.png

The grip connector is the same.

MongoosT-50 base can be used with extensions, but not on a desktop (you can buy their mount or make your own mounting support). If you get this, make sure you also order the extra CosmoSim cams.

WarBRD base can be used on a desktop or on a mount, but not with extensions.

They have the following grips:
- MongoosT-50 (right hand)

- MongoosT-50 CM (right hand) - a MongoosT-50 grip with lightly modified button shapes

- MongoosT-50 LH (left hand)

- Constellation Delta (ambidextrous and with twist)

They sell "flightsticks" (base + grips combos), with better price than the individual parts.

You can also use a Thrustmaster Warthog grip on them.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Seb71 said:

The grip connector is the same.

MongoosT-50 base can be used with extensions, but not on a desktop (you can buy their mount or make your own mounting support). If you get this, make sure you also order the extra CosmoSim cams.

Seb I must admit that i've been to hasty and ordered the VPC MongoosT-50 Flightstick roght away, are the extra CosmoCams absolutely necessary?

Ask them to add the CosmoSim cams to your order.

Also consider the mount and extensions. As I said, if you do not get their mount, you have to make your own. The MongoosT-50 base must be attached from the side U-bracket, not from the bottom. And can't be used on a desktop.

Also, when changing cams, make sure to heat the screws that are fixing the cams before unscrewing (they use threadlock on those).

i bough my warthog in 2011 and have had no techincal problems with it and used it quite alot

but its not a desk stick, hurts my hand, so i got myself an extension and place it on my chair inbetween my legs when i fly, the big base plate works great for this.

its realy not an ergonomic desk stick, and i guess its not supposed to be either since its a replica of a real aircraft

Edited by Higaluto