=/Hospiz/=Rosomak67

Difference in the joystick mounting.

Hello.

I plan to build a HOTAS mounting platform.

I wonder if the joystick should be between my legs? Or traditionally , in my case from right side.

What a difference in flying.

Ps. Google translator

Edited by Rosomak67

Hi

A lot will depend on what you intend to fly and the stick you intend using.  Central (between the legs) will give you a lot more scope to use stick extensions which, in turn will increase the precision and fine control you have. This will improve again if the stick you are intending to use has good quality sensors for the X and Y axis (and of course can use extensions (Like the Warthog, Virpil t50 and VKB gunfighters can). The possible downside is the range of movement on the Pitch axis that could be restricted by something like you keyboard position or chair cushion. I have not found this to be a problem  although its worth some careful consideration when planning.

Coming from an offset sidewinder to my current central T50 set up I can only say it didn't take me any time at all to get used to it and it feels much more natural for all the aircraft I use in this sim, clod and DCS.  The additional range of movement and precision I have now with the extensions and quality sensors really makes a difference. 

If you are using a desk mount designed stick that cannot use extensions, the smaller range of movement may benefit from it being mounted offset and in a more comfortable for your arm.  If putting i in a central position would cause it to be too high up or the base interferes with your seated position I would advise you to be careful of risking straining you arm. 

Good luck

Center mount with extension a hard combo to beat.

I use the Virpil T-50 and love it.

Between your legs in the centre is as nature intended IMO. A plane is a two winged creature with you sitting in the middle kind of like an extension of your own two arms, and so by having the flight stick in the centre it feels perfectly natural, and balanced, whereas if the stick was off to your side, everything would feel off kilter and just wrong. BOS is after all a game in which you can clearly see the flight stick so especially in VR it wouldn't feel right if the stick was not where you could see it. But it really is a matter of balance...

Before I bought a proper mount I used a stool that I had sticky tapped my flight stick onto in order to hold it in place. First thing I realized when I got my old hog was that putting it on a table or a chair next to me really sucked big time, and was simply a waste of money. So although not good at woodwork or making mounts myself, necessity being the mother of all invention I made sure to get it where it needed to be, and where it just felt right.

Now though I have a proper mount and it works even better as I dont need to wrap myself around a stool!

9E45F79E-D309-4774-ACCF-DBAF59E05307.jpeg

Edited by Wolf8312

My Virpil T-50 with desk mount and 150mm extension, Warthog Throttle with Monster Tech Mount, and CH Quadrant.

post-199-0-01705300-1519245782_thumb.jpg

Edited by dburne

If I use a side stick, my already poor gunnery accuracy takes an additional hit. So center mount it is, regardless of what I fly.

Side sticks work fine so long as you have a firm place to brace/rest your elbow as in any rl plane with one.  In our sims they're still short on precision unless you have one of the high end sticks.

If you have the space and inclination for a sim pit a center mount with extention is the way to go but it's in the way for everything else you do there. I have a large L shaped desk and side stick... best compromise for me.

22 hours ago, dburne said:

My Virpil T-50 with desk mount and 150mm extension, Warthog Throttle with Monster Tech Mount, and CH Quadrant.

post-199-0-01705300-1519245782_thumb.jpg

I have exactly same throttle, pedals and stick with extensions.

Great combo, having good hardware helps with immersion big time.

35 minutes ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

I have exactly same throttle, pedals and stick with extensions.

Great combo, having good hardware helps with immersion big time.

:good:

Indeed it does - hard combo to beat!

I just have a humble Gladiator Pro which I place on my desk like a schmuck😭

Here is how I console myself:

- Modern planes, even fighter jets like Rafale, use short-throw side sticks and still have good accuracy (obviously).

- Also, if you mount your stick in the middle: your hand no longer moves along x-axis evenly between left and right sides because the pivot point (shoulder and/or arm joints) is offset to the right.

So is the raised center mount so much better and more precise ?

1 hour ago, WheelwrightPL said:

So is the raised center mount so much better and more precise ?

In my experience yes but only over my old Sidewinder side mount. A gladiator may well be a different prospect but I do think the benefit of the longer throw given with extensions does improve fine control. The position of your hand in a central mount (resting on your lap) also aids fingertip control around the centre point.