Sign in to follow this  
DEG

New pilot here

Hey everyone new pilot here and first timer for il2 or any full fledged flight/combat sim game.

I have been getting my feet wet to start in the BF 109-G2 being new to this type of game/sim i figured it would be a good plane to start off in due to the automated system's such as prop pitch being automated aswell as other engine systems.

I have got to the point were i can take off easily now even with a heavier load.20% flaps for takeoff seem to do the trick or at least make it easier to get off the ground stable.(i notice the left wing likes to drop on takeoff maybe cause of engine torque?) and when i got a bomb i set the flaps to 15% .

I huge ww2 buff but never delved to deep into the Air war aspect of thing's to crazy besides learning about the types of planes and battle's.

So anyway any help, tips, tricks, tactics anyone can sling my way would be appreciated!

i also have a few Q's

-is this a good plane to start with?

-is it much harder to fly other type's of planes without automated systems?

-How long can i run the engine on 100% (emergancy power) before engine damage?

-how long or at what temp am i safe to run it on 100% again after i have cooled the engine

-Were the Hell is the oil TEMP gauge??? is it below the coolant temp gauge???

All in all i have been playing career mode and have 30 kills so i have at least got to that point but my tactics are rubbish i tend to try and turn fight more often then i like in the heat of the moment.

the 109 seems to have great energy retention though so i can Boogy out of hairy situations most of the time as long as i have some altitude to work with.anyway...

any advice, links, tips tricks to flying this thing would be nice.

also a shot out to the guy that made the slovak skins for this plane as i have slovak Heritage! 

• Like 3

You may find this playlist useful:

Also, check out the rest of that channel. Tons of useful playlists and information for new players.

• Like 1

Cant get any better advises than above, only left thing for me to say is join a friendly group and fly as little as possible alone in public servers.

And welcome

• Like 1

If you are looking for a good Soviet plane to start with the Yak 1 is a good choice as a fighter. If ground pounding is more your thing, or you want to give it a try, the PE-2 is probably the easiest bomber to work with. Engine management on the non-automated planes is a little more to learn, but it isn't that hard really.

Running time for an engine at 100% varies from plane to plane. The Yak, Lagg and Mig can all run at 100% until the fuel runs dry, they are designed for this. 109's and 190s on the other hand can only sustain this max load for about 3 minutes. Look into the specifications tab on the map screen for each plane and you will find everything you need to know to run each plane.

• Like 1

When it comes to german Planes i think the BF 109F4 is the best of the BF Series.... the G2 is just a less agile one and isnt really faster too. F4 is just Übermaschine !

I personaly allways like to use the more "manual" planes to use so thats why i dont fly that much germans. And alot of the Manual Planes are pretty easy to use as well for exempel the LaGG 3... just set up RPM to Max, Cooling shuttles to like 60% and full throttle no engine problems :D

Some are harder like the american and british but the americans like P40E has little indicator for the right amount of abuse and green area Temps and so on... only problem with americans is that they use mp/h which is for me weird. 

• Like 1

The metric/imperial thing can be a little odd at times, but the only times I've ever really had a problem with it is when flying with someone else who is using the opposite system. Then the conversion tables have to be broken out and units have to be specified and it is a whole thing. But when we are all on the same page, so to speak, switching back and forth isn't such a big deal, even for the people I fly with that don't even know what a meter is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DEG said:

Hey everyone new pilot here and first timer for il2 or any full fledged flight/combat sim game.

So anyway any help, tips, tricks, tactics anyone can sling my way would be appreciated!

Welcome DEG!

Check out the list of resources here.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Disarray said:

The metric/imperial thing can be a little odd at times, but the only times I've ever really had a problem with it is when flying with someone else who is using the opposite system. Then the conversion tables have to be broken out and units have to be specified and it is a whole thing. But when we are all on the same page, so to speak, switching back and forth isn't such a big deal, even for the people I fly with that don't even know what a meter is.

I am an  American but i served in the Army for 4 years (US military uses metric) so im actually more comfortable with metric thankfully!

2 hours ago, I./JG2_Sekij said:

When it comes to german Planes i think the BF 109F4 is the best of the BF Series.... the G2 is just a less agile one and isnt really faster too. F4 is just Übermaschine !

I personaly allways like to use the more "manual" planes to use so thats why i dont fly that much germans. And alot of the Manual Planes are pretty easy to use as well for exempel the LaGG 3... just set up RPM to Max, Cooling shuttles to like 60% and full throttle no engine problems :D

Some are harder like the american and british but the americans like P40E has little indicator for the right amount of abuse and green area Temps and so on... only problem with americans is that they use mp/h which is for me weird. 

I will have to give it a go...as i think the G2 was only faster at higher alt ..and i don't tend to fly above 2k-3k meters on career anyway...at least not up to this point.

2 hours ago, Disarray said:

If you are looking for a good Soviet plane to start with the Yak 1 is a good choice as a fighter. If ground pounding is more your thing, or you want to give it a try, the PE-2 is probably the easiest bomber to work with. Engine management on the non-automated planes is a little more to learn, but it isn't that hard really.

Running time for an engine at 100% varies from plane to plane. The Yak, Lagg and Mig can all run at 100% until the fuel runs dry, they are designed for this. 109's and 190s on the other hand can only sustain this max load for about 3 minutes. Look into the specifications tab on the map screen for each plane and you will find everything you need to know to run each plane.

thanks! as for the russians planes them running at 100% didnt translate to better engine tho did it? learned (history buff) that they just capped them lower..as in there 100% was really just a max continuous ..but allied/german planes gave there pilots the ability to go over the 100% maybe because better trained? and so there max continuous was 70%

And thanx for the videos!!!and fast responses!!

i just want to add my in flight music of choice haha and good vid 2 :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6npKLMK9fo

7 minutes ago, JimTM said:

Welcome DEG!

Check out the list of resources here.

thanks much

Edited by DEG

Welcome to the flocks. :salute:

Watch your six! 

1hL41OA.jpg

1Mp7iHP.jpg

8rR9zKg.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome here are some treats haha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DEG said:

I am an  American but i served in the Army for 4 years (US military uses metric) so im actually more comfortable with metric thankfully!

I will have to give it a go...as i think the G2 was only faster at higher alt ..and i don't tend to fly above 2k-3k meters on career anyway...at least not up to this point.

thanks! as for the russians planes them running at 100% didnt translate to better engine tho did it? learned (history buff) that they just capped them lower..as in there 100% was really just a max continuous ..but allied/german planes gave there pilots the ability to go over the 100% maybe because better trained? and so there max continuous was 70%

And thanx for the videos!!!and fast responses!!

i just want to add my in flight music of choice haha and good vid 2 :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6npKLMK9fo

thanks much

About the Russian vs German engines: As I understand it they aren't quite as powerful as their German counterparts and for the most part their max throttle is max continuous power. That is mostly about the M-105 series engine powering most of the aircraft but almost true for the others as well. The La-5 and La-5FN's engine is probably the most demanding to manage.

I was really worried that it would take a lot of effort to fly these more manually oriented aircraft but it hasn't been too bad. The Bf109 is simpler in this regard, sure, but I don't find the Yak, LaGG, or Pe-2 (all M-105 aircraft) any harder really. And the IL-2 and MiG-3 don't take too much more knowhow either.

IL-2's developers did everyone a favour and if you hit the O key to go to objectives you can click the tab and bring up your aircraft stats. There you can scroll down and see what the time limits are on each of the engine settings.

• Like 1

Thank! I didn't know about the hitting o thing haha now I can answer my question right when I come across them mid flight.

In my experience the Mig is easy to handle engine wise for basic flight. It will, however, do it's damnedest to kill you on take off and landing; poor low speed stability and ground handling. The only trick to the LA-5 and LA-5F is setting up your coolers right, the FN takes a little more fines but not much more. The I-16 and IL-2 are probably the most complex Soviet planes in terms of engine management and even those you can set and forget after takeoff. There are guides and tutorials on most of the planes in the game though, if the stats don't give you your answer, so there is really nothing but time stopping you from figuring out the ins and outs.

my main thing is prop pitch and what to set it at and when but ill figure it out here looking into these links you guys kindly put in here.

10 hours ago, DEG said:

my main thing is prop pitch and what to set it at and when but ill figure it out here looking into these links you guys kindly put in here.

with the exception of a very few aircraft the prop pitch is automatic. Instead you can set the prop RPM, and then the prop pitch is adjusted automatically to try and maintain the rpm you have set.

The tech specs tell you everything you need to know. make sure you bind the supercharger gear change for when you start flying allied aircraft.

From 1 min 10 sec onwards :-)

Also fuel and ammo, if any of those read zero you are dead!!

Edited by novicebutdeadly

Welcome!

War is probably the most disgusting stuff Human Brain can build out of a set of basic feelings / instincts, and for me Air War is even more disgusting, since I love Aviation and Flying so much, but I have to admit this game has conquered my devotion, and while I try hard to get away from using it other than just to profit from the excellent flight dynamics, fluid and great graphics and unique "feel of being there", I have to admit I often fall into the temptation of playing a dogfight at one of the many Online Servers :-)

I have no patience to read books, unless they're technical, so, I never even read those well known  ACM references, but I do like to read some hints and watch some good videos by experienced players.

I'm a total disaster dogfighting though :-)

Cooperative online or offline missions I never tried... Did buy a couple of Campaigns, but never played it... but I guess it's yet another challenging way of using this great flight simulation game.

I hope you enjoy it as much as possible :-)

On 22.05.2018 at 6:51 PM, DEG said:

i also have a few Q's

-how long or at what temp am i safe to run it on 100% again after i have cooled the engine

Yak's, there are maintenance-free and overally the easiest to operate and fight

It is harder flying American, German and British planes without automated systems. Soviet Yaks, LaGGs - it's even easier, you set full throttle, full RPM and forget about the engine untill landing.

-How long can i run the engine on 100% (emergency power) before engine damage?

You can find all engine's restrictions in following official topic: 

Be careful, there is no safety factor included by developers for now so after passing manual's limit your engine can immidiately die.

For most Soviet fighters there are no any limits however due to lower manifold pressures.

On 5/22/2018 at 1:51 PM, DEG said:

I have been getting my feet wet to start in the BF 109-G2 being new to this type of game/sim i figured it would be a good plane to start off in due to the automated system's such as prop pitch being automated aswell as other engine systems.

I have got to the point were i can take off easily now even with a heavier load.20% flaps for takeoff seem to do the trick or at least make it easier to get off the ground stable.(i notice the left wing likes to drop on takeoff maybe cause of engine torque?) and when i got a bomb i set the flaps to 15% .

I huge ww2 buff but never delved to deep into the Air war aspect of thing's to crazy besides learning about the types of planes and battle's.

i also have a few Q's

All in all i have been playing career mode and have 30 kills so i have at least got to that point but my tactics are rubbish i tend to try and turn fight more often then i like in the heat of the moment.

the 109 seems to have great energy retention though so i can Boogy out of hairy situations most of the time as long as i have some altitude to work with.anyway...

any advice, links, tips tricks to flying this thing would be nice.

also a shot out to the guy that made the slovak skins for this plane as i have slovak Heritage! 

Tottaly agree with the dude above me, yak is the first choice for new pilots, very friendly to begginers

is it much harder to fly other type's of planes without automated systems?

with some time, it will feel like the non automated are actually better, since you have more control over your plane and can get more performace from it

How long can i run the engine on 100% (emergancy power) before engine damage?

germans 1 minute, always check the plane instuctions over the map, left corner, it look like a sheet of paper. If you read it some atention, it tell from flaps to engine maximum time in each setting

how long or at what temp am i safe to run it on 100% again after i have cooled the engine

every engine is diferent, you should learn how to read the engine gauges and from that you'll be able to know when its safe to use emergency again

The first simulation game i bought was this one, and damn, it was hard to learn, since back then we didnt had a dynamic campaing mode, the best tip i can give to you is to have fun, and learn a little bit about the plane, if you didnt knew about the manual of the plane i tould you earlier, you'll be amazed of how many important stuff you will find there, it do worth the reading 

best of luck!

btw, the 109 f4 seems to be the favorite german toy, you should give it a try whenever possible