Novice-Flyer

Should IL-2 Battle packs have a few more planes?

On 7/26/2019 at 9:07 PM, Novice-Flyer said:

Hello Everybody,

Making an airplane these days for the 3 main IL-2 games takes lots of time and effort, many months to be exact for the interior/exterior, DM/FM; the same goes with maps. Bodenplatte started EA 14 months ago and we still have yet to see 4 planes and the map. If the devs go to make almost every plane that was generally available at the time of a particular battle (~20), like in Cliffs of Dover, then a.) the project would take LONGER to complete, b.) more members or 3rd party teams would be required. If they tried to meet the ~20 month deadline then the planes wouldn't be professionally made.

Therefore, having 10 planes per pack is good for the devs. 

Question: Should IL-2 battle packs contain more planes?

Basically, the point was is that for BOK, the devs were able to add 2 additional planes La-5FN and Bf 109G-6. In total 12 planes were made. However, the 2 planes cost you $20 each ($40 total). I mean, compared to all of the other BOK planes like the A-20, P-39, Spitfire, the La-5FN and G-6 took a much lesser time to make.

Standard Edition: $50 for 8 planes

Premium Edition: $80 for 10 planes (But I think this would more include the map, career, and new ground/sea vehicles)

Doing the math, an individual plane costs roughly $8.

10 planes per each battle pack is the devs minimum goal, but if able, they will make additional ones, but they become collectors.

If the devs made the Arado 234 or Me-410 and Mosquito for Bodenplatte, then that would take lots of time, but if they made the A-20G and Spitfire Mk.XIV or Mk.XVI, or Typhoon then that wouldn't really take as much time as the other Bodenplatte planes, same with the La-5FN and Bf-109G-6.

The point is that I feel that it's starting to become where there are TOO many additional collector planes (Ju-52, U-2 and later Li-2, PBY, H8K, B-25, Arado 234, Mosquito, MBR-2, TB-3, IL-4, etc. are fine) where it costs $20 for just variants of other aircraft. E.g  the Bf-109G-6 we have 7 other Bf 109s and this one costs us $20?

For BOK including La-5FN, G-6, and Yak 1b it costs $80 for BOK, and $60 for the 3 additional collectors. Total, $140 for 13 planes?

If you buy Standard, you get 8 planes

If you buy Premium, you get 10+ planes.

I feel that if the devs are ONLY able to produce 10 planes (actually 11, or 10.5) for Bodenplatte, that's fine. If they're able to produce a few more planes that are just variants between now and the final release of Bodenplatte, then if you get Premium, you get these automatically get these additional planes at the Premium price. If you only have Standard, you have to buy the additional planes. Planes like Mosquito, Arado 234, etc. Everyone has to buy.

I'm not saying that battle packs should have 15- 20 planes, I'm saying that if the devs are able to make a few more planes, then the battle pack should have a few more planes like 12.

If you can't afford the current cost of premium aircraft maybe you should ask your parents to increase your allowance.

• Haha 9
  • Upvote 1

In a word - No.

Quality over quantity any day.  I think the number of planes per add-on is good enough and would prefer for improvements to flow back down the line to earlier planes sets where textures and models are upgraded to being them up to current standards.  Pricing in current work to reflect that. 👍

7 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Why on earth was this revived? 

Good question. I thought it might have been a typical zombie thread but no, OP came back on page 2 and kicked it off again.   The horse refuses to die.

I'm happy with the current model. You don't  need to squeeze every penny out of the devs, some planes should have more margin.

Asking for more planes for free because the devs were able to fit them in the same time frame of the release is absurd.

You get what you paid for. If they make extra content then you decide if you want to purchase it or not.

Posted (edited)

This is one those things where whatever number we have people would want more.

Edited by AeroAce
  • Upvote 2

I have never seen a more dedicated hard working dev team than the one we have developing il2, why on earth would you demand more? The prices are incredible when you consider what you are getting.

To even make this thread in the first place and then to BRING IT BACK is just a joke. Stop being a clown. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 6

Okay guys, I see that you are misinterpreting my point. If the devs included 15-25 planes per each battle pack then they won’t be good quality. It will be like IL-2 1946 with unrealistic crashes, low detail models, and cockpits, etc. As stated by Jason in November 2017, 10 planes is plenty! But we’ve seen that the devs have been able to release a few additional planes as collectors, e.g Bf 109G-6, La-5FN, Yak 1b.

For Bodenplatte If the devs are able to make ALL 11 planes and don’t wish to make more at the final release then that’s fine.

Scenario 1:                                                                

All Bodenplatte planes plus 

Arado 234 or Me-410 and Mosquito.

It should be $80 Premium plus price of the 2 planes as collectors

Scenario 2:

A-20G and Typhoon or Spitfire XIV or XVI

It should be $80 for all 12 planes instead of making these 2 planes collectors.

To me I feel that it’s starting to become where there are TOO many collector planes and some of these are just variants of other aircraft in the game like the Bf 109G-6, La-5FN. 

My my opinion is that if the Mosquito and Arado 234 are made then they should be stand alone collectors. If the Typhoon and A-20G are made then they should be stand alone collectors for people who bought Bodenplatte Standard, but people who bought Premium get the 12 planes plus B-25 AI.

For BoK it should have been that if you bought Premium you get 12 planes because the G-6 and La-5FN WERE released at the final release of BoK.

I firmly want QUALITY over QUANTITY for IL-2 Great Battles! If you make something, you better do it right.

2 hours ago, AeroAce said:

This is one those things where whatever number we have people would want more.

...well I would actually take less (if it directly resulted in better tunning/polishing of the whole)...

19 minutes ago, Novice-Flyer said:

Okay guys, I see that you are misinterpreting my point. If the devs included 15-25 planes per each battle pack then they won’t be good quality. It will be like IL-2 1946 with unrealistic crashes, low detail models, and cockpits, etc. As stated by Jason in November 2017, 10 planes is plenty! But we’ve seen that the devs have been able to release a few additional planes as collectors, e.g Bf 109G-6, La-5FN, Yak 1b.

For Bodenplatte If the devs are able to make ALL 11 planes and don’t wish to make more at the final release then that’s fine.

Scenario 1:                                                                

Arado 234 or Me-410 and Mosquito.

It should be $80 Premium plus price of the 2 planes as collectors

Scenario 2:

To me I feel that it’s starting to become where there are TOO many collector planes and some of these are just variants of other aircraft in the game like the Bf 109G-6, La-5FN. 

My my opinion is that if the Mosquito and Arado 234 are made then they should be stand alone collectors. If the Typhoon and A-20G are made then they should be stand alone collectors for people who bought Bodenplatte Standard, but people who bought Premium get the 12 planes plus B-25 AI.

For BoK it should have been that if you bought Premium you get 12 planes because the G-6 and La-5FN WERE released at the final release of BoK.

I firmly want QUALITY over QUANTITY for IL-2 Great Battles! If you make something, you better do it right.

You really need to stop.  They base their pricing largely on information that you/we don’t have access to.  If you feel the planes are too expensive, don’t buy them.  If enough people agree then the devs will either change their prices or go out of business.  But constant begging for lower prices isn’t going to get you anywhere when most of us are happy with the prices that we’re paying.

• Upvote 6

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Novice-Flyer said:

No it shouldn't.

You get what you paid for and what was promised when you made the order. There's no reason why you should get two more planes for free, just because you would like to have them for free and just because you think it doesn't take enough effort to warrant a release of those planes as collector planes.

You don't want to see variants of existing planes released as collector planes? Go ahead and try to convince the community. Spitfire XIV, Typhoon (not really a variant but whatever), Bf 109 G-10 and even G-14/AS have already been suggested as collector planes by the community.

Edited by Matt

We all want something. If you look at the business  model they follow. 

The expansion is the fastest ever seen in any kind of flight sim. When you think they cant go faster. The start 3 packs with 3 different maps and still deliver in same phase. 

On top of that they renew and improve what we have. 

One simply cant demand more in quantity.

And it is a reason for this, 💰.

I mean how can we ask for more?

I do not agree on everything they do, but its their business  and They have to take good with the bad. One wrong turn, and they have consequences 

• Like 1

People should consider buying collector planes. Even you will not fly them often, or not at all, you are buying another interesting target to fly/fight against in SP/MP.

39 minutes ago, Novice-Flyer said:

Okay guys, I see that you are misinterpreting my point. 

No they’re not.

You started a misguided thread promoting a misguided point a year  ago and instead of letting it die like you should have, you’ve (for reasons that elude us) chosen to resurrect it and double down, with exactly the same result as before.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Novice-Flyer said:

Okay guys, I see that you are misinterpreting my point.

Nobody is missing your point. Nobody has missed it the umpteen times you have made it before. You think the developers should sell content at a lower price. Well here's the thing. What you think is irrelevant. They don't base prices on what some random kid on the forums thinks. They base their prices, like any other concern in a capitalist environment, on the requirement to maximise their return on investment. That is how it has to work. There is no requirement whatsoever to base the pricing of luxury items on anything other than RoI. What individual potential customers think they would like to pay is of little consequence. To maximise RoI, you necessarily set prices high enough that some people won't purchase. If you don't, you are wasting potential profit. That's the long and the short of it. That's capitalism. If you'd prefer an alternative economic system, you are of course free to argue for it. But here. not by whining incessantly about prices, while ignoring the economic reality of the system we live under.  Spouting the same self-entitled waffle time and time again won't change anything. You have only one choice - buy stuff at the prices they charge, or don't buy it at all. Make it, and then shut up.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains,

The Collector Planes are free,

The devs are happy to work day and night,

for your P-fifty one B.

And Bobp dropped yesterday,

They are giving Spits away,

Arado, and a Mosquito,

Before noon we get the Typhoon,

go for a float in a hot air balloon,

Play and play, but never pay

Read a DD every day,

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Edited by Cpt_Cool
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AndyJWest said:

You think the developers should sell content at a lower price.

I’M NOT saying that the devs should sell content at lower prices like selling BOM Premium at $60 rather than $80 regular price. Also, I AM NOT saying that it’s mandatory for the devs to include 1 or 2 more planes than with the 10 flyable planes during development of a battle, like Bodenplatte.

Edited by Novice-Flyer
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Obviously the OP is butthurt that he doesn't get variants of the plane for free. That's his prerogative but I don't understand the problem as he is not obligated to get them to be competitive in MP. Compared to other sims; DCS for example, this is a much cheaper (price wise, not quality wise!) simulator so I am more than happy to pay 80 bucks for the full spectrum of a battle.

Again I stress the point, it might annoys you that the devs produce many variants of the same plane but you are in no obligation to buy them to be competitive or to enjoy the full spectrum of the game. They are too expensive for you, just don't buy them. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2