seafireliv

Phew... The P40. A High maintenance lady.

I`ve not had as much time to get to grips with the p40. I usually pick ONE aircraft and focus all my time on it until I `git gud`. Love the look of the aircraft and were I able I`d take great pleasure in painting a sexy babe on her perfect profile on the real thing.

However,  I only really gave a go with her online when I swiftly discovered how easy it was to blow her engine and even when flying normally her engine will blow for what appeared to be no reason at all.

Finally, I decided to make a full go of it in the Career and suffered the same issues. Went online and watched a few U-tube vids on her, and I have finally got how she works.

I must say she is a fussy high maintenance girl; needs constant attention until you`ve mentally got her down pat. Hard to imagine how new guys maintained combat while having to baby this bird  constantly.

Love it, this is the reality I like!

p.s. Absolutely love her start-up and shut-down sequence!

Edited by seafireliv
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

In my view its most demanding fighter airplane in game, kudos to players doing good as fighters in it online ugenst 190s and 109s  :salute:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 77.CountZero said:

In my view its most demanding fighter airplane in game, kudos to players doing good as fighters in it online ugenst 190s and 109s  :salute:

That's the price to pay for having the best guns among all Battle of Moscow fighters: 6 50cals is nothing to sneeze at:o:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, seafireliv said:

fussy high maintenance girl

Hope you will grow to love her, she's worth it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, seafireliv said:

I only really gave a go with her online when I swiftly discovered how easy it was to blow her engine and even when flying normally her engine will blow for what appeared to be no reason at all.

Until you get used to it,  try binding the prop levers to your throttle. They'll work together and you'll never blow that engine. I like the way BOX and ROF allow you to bind more than one command to a single lever or button. In ROF I have my throttle and radiator on my joysticks throttle axis. My SE-5 and SPAD never overheat, anymore.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sop said:

Hope you will grow to love her, she's worth it.

I might actualy do. I`m taking off and landing pretty easy now. But dogfights are going to be something else with the Manifold pressure gauge doing all kinds of crazy things in high speed combat climbs and dives! It will be interesting.

3 minutes ago, seafireliv said:

Manifold pressure gauge doing all kinds of crazy things

Shouldn't be doing anything crazy. Full power when climbing, power back in a dive. Manifold pressure goes up...manifold pressure goes down. What crazy things is it doing? Sounds like you weren't happy with the manifold and prop controls on the throttle idea.

• Sad 1

I'll just leave this here.

She'll bite you if you're not careful, both sides of the guns.

Treat her right and she's a tiger.

2018_5_20__18_41_15.jpg

• Thanks 1

Until you get a bit better at getting a feel for the engine RPM by engine sound try managing the engine by setting throttle at 73% at ground level (maybe a bit less on winter maps)for 37" MP and using the prop pitch to manage the engine power.  73% pitch should give you constant setting(2600rpm), higher pitch(3000rpm) for combat power.

Throttle at 73 only works at ground level. As you climb you need more throttle to maintain the MP setting, something like 78% at 1000 ft, about 12,000 feet you'll be 100 throttle,  adjust accordingly.  The difficulty now becomes when climbing and diving in combat. I use the throttle, listen to the engine and try to watch the MP gauge.

It's also very important NOT to slam the throttle around. The prop governor can't react fast enough to a rapid throttle advance, you over rev the engine and it blows. Advance the throttle, you'll see the RPM spike and come back down as the governor compensates. Smooth throttle technique is very important.

Edited by DD_Perfesser
  • Upvote 1

My fave plane..... as with the Lagg3, La5 and the upcoming Hurricane (one day!)

• Upvote 1

Luckily the audio design is easy enough to use as a warning to throttle down in the heat of the moment. I always keep my RPMs on the max continuous and only fiddle with the MP. I take her up to 16k ft altitude and go 100% throttle from there. If I see someone lower i go after them, if i see someone higher i back off. Keep your radiators on 10%. 

• Upvote 1

Well got into a furball with her, was wondering how it would go.

A lot easier than it might seem. It really is a case of rpms up when climbing and rpms down when diving. BUT you MUST watch those gauges, and that is perhaps the niggling point since you must take away your view from the situation momentarily. I can also tell the difference in the engine change, but not confident enough to totally rely on them yet.

Shot down an AI 109- Those guns are very good. Emptied my guns- Got over-excited.

Headed home, left a big furball behind me. Never blew the engine at all.

Edited by seafireliv
  • Upvote 1

I was lone wolfing on WoL on Friday night (get on discord please guys!) defending our last train station target in a g2. Saw a p40 on deck, rolled in, scared the life out of him but missed. I then found myself being ruthlessly Thatch Weaved (if that's a thing) by him and his wingmate. A proper 'holy s*it there's two of them' moment. Engine damaged, down in the weeds, I open up the throttle and bug out. Everything's shaking, trousers brown, I finally see a friendly airfield hove into view. Coming in very hot, flaring out for touch down, it's gonna be a piano out of the fifth floor... Annnnnd.... Round finished seconds before the wheels hit the deck. Much respect to those two pilots... But no cigar this time guys ;)

• Upvote 1

I like how it shows you how much Manifold pressure and RPM and Temp. is in the Green Area :D making it easy to maintain for me. The Auto Mixture is a nice feature as well.

51 minutes ago, I./JG2_Sekij said:

I like how it shows you how much Manifold pressure and RPM and Temp. is in the Green Area :D making it easy to maintain for me. The Auto Mixture is a nice feature as well.

I didn`t see that green section at all in the beginning, not until someone pointed it out in an instructional video. It`s very easy to miss, because a lot of it is slightly hidden under the rim shadow. Also, you can still go out of the green area if you know what you`re doing.

Edited by seafireliv

5 minutes ago, seafireliv said:

I didn`t see that green section at all in the beginning, not until someone pointed it out in an instructional video. It`s very easy to miss, because a lot of it is slightly hidden under the rim shadow. Also, you can still go out of the green area if you know what you`re doing.

Yeah i like to observe the little details as well. After playing DCS and Il2 i started to really like the american planes and their cockpit design even tho i was never a Fan of them from a 3rd person view. 

Thats the great part that you can still try to improve the power management with a bit of risk. I also hopped in in the Mig 3 last couple days and was suprised how advuanced the cockpit is compared to LaGG 3 or Yaks. It also has an easy to understand cockpit (especial if you can read russian like me).

English, German and Russian planes easy to understand the cockpit but i'll have a problem with the Italian (and i love the Folgore :S) Japanese (i hope we will get the ARMY planes of japan... ki 61, ki 84, ki 44 and more they are so great and more interessting than just A6M imo) so for those i need to read the cockpit instructions outside the sim i guess.