SCG_motoadve

Vive Pro scale is off, and things look smaller (80 or 90%)

Things look smaller with Vive Pro, feels like the airplane is one of those replica light sport.

Not 1:1 like the Oculus for sure.

Maybe 80% or 90%

Oculus Rift has the size perfect, easy to confirm, just fly look at the joystick, take headset off and look at your joystick.

Vive pro joystick looks thinner, gauges smaller, feels like a  small airplane, like a light sport airplane kit replica not a full sized warbird.

Is Lefuneste mod only for Rift?

Any mods to fix this?

To me is a total immersion killer.

I can live with the horrible sound and stupid uncomfortable design, because it really does look good, very good much better than Oculus, even colors are better.

But the smaller sized cockpits no way!

I am really surprised no one with the Vive pro has noticed this, does the regular Vive is also like this?

Hope is a setting or something I am missing

The devs have an IPD fix on the way for the End of May patch. I guess you'll have to be patient for a bit longer mate ;(

Interesting I have only seen this reported by WMR users, have not seen it mentioned for Vive Pro till now.

Interestingly I have seen some report the Oculus is slightly overscale but therein lies the problem, who do we believe :D

The 3DMigoto mod should help if the scale is only off by 10% use a low setting for IPD adjust and it should fix the problem

Edited by ICDP

I saw a couple of posts where people said things looked too big (Vive non pro)

Things definitely smaller with Vive Pro.

I fly real planes, I have sat in a real warbird, but the real test is the joystick test, with Rift looks the same size in VR and when I remove my headset 109 replica joystick.

Now looks smaller in VR and thinner.

not by a lot but I can definitely notice it.

Will try the mod

15 minutes ago, ICDP said:

Interestingly I have seen some report the Oculus is slightly overscale but therein lies the problem, who do we believe :D

The 3DMigoto mod should help if the scale is only off by 10% use a low setting for IPD adjust and it should fix the problem

Interestingly I have not see much report if any of the scale being oversized with the Rift.

Much of this would be personal perception on slight differences.

I think what is being discussed is an appreciable difference that is noticeable from the start  rather than small amounts that may or may not.

Both IL-2 and DCS seem about right to me in my Rift, although of course I have never sat in the real planes. 

I didn´t notice any difference in scale with the rift.

You can try to display the track I posted and see if you obtain same images:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/36162-vivepro-vs-rift-for-il2/?do=findComment&comment=615505

I also got some pictures through the camera in Rift and Vive and you will see that scale is very similar.

You can try to obtain your own pictures from the VivePro vs. Rift, perhaps you have something wrong in your settings. (I remember you were obtain some different numbers in pixels when you use SS=100%)

My gut feeling was that there was a slight change in scale (slightly smaller) in the very last IL2 patch when using the Vive (original). I commented to the other guys on TS, but none of them have VR so I couldn't get any confirmation from anyone else. As to whether it was correct before or now I don't know.

The scale change seemed to be an improvement in the bombers, I often thought my butt was floating too high off the seat (I'm 183cm so should be about average height).

Edited by =EXPEND=Tripwire
Clarity

7 hours ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Things look smaller with Vive Pro, feels like the airplane is one of those replica light sport.

Not 1:1 like the Oculus for sure.

Maybe 80% or 90%

But the smaller sized cockpits no way!

I am really surprised no one with the Vive pro has noticed this, does the regular Vive is also like this?

Hope is a setting or something I am missing

have you did lens mod ? I noiced that scale is a bit different with this mod ..

Edited by TWHYata_PL

I had Rift before going to VivePro.

Before getting Lasik procedure to fix my eyes I used to wear glasses. Initially, after putting the Vpro on everything looked crisper as if I put on a set of heavy prescription glasses, which do make the world seem "smaller" even in real world. The scale is correct but it just feels "smaller". So, it seems, I understand what you're saying, however I don't think it's necessary the scale but rather something else at play here. May be these fresnel lenses do have some myopia correction built in to them somehow?

On 12/5/2018 at 6:23 PM, chiliwili69 said:

I also got some pictures through the camera in Rift and Vive and you will see that scale is very similar.

Looking in more detail to the pics I obtained with my mobile camera, it can be see that gauges are about 10% smaller in the VivePro view. So, you will be right in this.

But it was something I was not realising at all since I was putting too much attention to all the other ugly things of the VivePro...!

Actually I think he’s right.  It wasn’t enough to notice, but occasionally I would look at the flight stick and think it seemed a tad smaller than real life.  Now I am convinced it’s like 90%.

How difficult is to do it?

What lens do I need to buy?

Also an adapter is needed, right?

19 minutes ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

How difficult is to do it?

What lens do I need to buy?

Also an adapter is needed, right?

gearVR lenses..

the idea is to get the used gearVR headset, remove the lenses from it and put them in to VivePro.

I've tried it out. Bought the gearVR and bought the "adapters". Well, technically, you have the adapters 3rd printed for you based on a schematic shared by the community. This is where it all seems very hokey. I had the adapters printed per a shared 3d file but it doesn't contain any instructions on how many pieces it needs, the plastic specs (i.e. what plastic to print it out of), how to actually assemble them, and how to place it in to the headset. So the whole "mod" is really for you to mock around with $800 headset hoping you won't break anything. I gave it up, too risky.

Edited by moosya

This headset?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Samsung-Gear-VR-2-Oculus-Virtual-Reality-Headset-2016-SM-R323-USB-C-Micro/282857131953?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D50543%26meid%3D79a20c1bdae54e7ba24226588b72677e%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D202204164169%26itm%3D282857131953&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Where do I get the 3D printed pieces?

I cant stand the narrow sweet spot in the Vive Pro, so if this fixes it then is worth it.

12 minutes ago, moosya said:

gearVR lenses..

the idea is to get the used gearVR headset, remove the lenses from it and put them in to VivePro.

I've tried it out. Bought the gearVR and bought the "adapters". Well, technically, you have the adapters 3rd printed for you based on a schematic shared by the community. This is where it all seems very hokey. I had the adapters printed per a shared 3d file but it doesn't contain any instructions on how many pieces it needs, how it actually is assembled and how it is placed in to the headset. So the whole "mod" is really for you to mock around with $800 headset hoping you won't break anything. I gave it up, too risky.

I can buy the lenses and adapters from you if you are not going to use them.

43 minutes ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

yup, the 2016+ model of gearVr. I got it off amazon for 20$ (used).  Not selling it, my kid is using it to watch VR on a galaxy phone now.. :)

3d adapters - please do a research on it yourself, I simply don't want to point you down my failed path.. :)

here's a link to the 3d schematic. Which particular adapters in this collection of 3d printed parts is necessary for VivePro conversion - I have no idea..

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2837804

watching the youtube video it may seem that the necessary adapter is "files/AdapterV3_2.stl"  so you'd need 2 of those. But i'm not sure %100..

Edited by moosya

https://www.vrnerds.de/hack-linsen-der-gear-vr-in-htc-vive-pro-einsetzen/

Here is the first link. If you open it in Chrome, you may be able to have the page translated from German to English.

https://de.ifixit.com/Anleitung/Samsung+Gear+VR+Lens+Replacement/99271

this second link is part German part English.

And the link to the adapters for you to 3D print. What to print it as, etc, and what kind of script you'll need afterwards to fix the VivePro's inherit distortion (!) is described on thingieverse

Add: Just found this on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/8c4ggr/gear_vr_lens_mod_for_the_htc_vive_review_and_guide/

P.S. Just read, this is not advisable if you wore glasses, because the lenses reach farther into the headset.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

12 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

https://www.vrnerds.de/hack-linsen-der-gear-vr-in-htc-vive-pro-einsetzen/

Here is the first link. If you open it in Chrome, you may be able to have the page translated from German to English.

https://de.ifixit.com/Anleitung/Samsung+Gear+VR+Lens+Replacement/99271

this second link is part German part English.

And the link to the adapters for you to 3D print. What to print it as, etc, and what kind of script you'll need afterwards to fix the VivePro's inherit distortion (!) is described on thingieverse

Add: Just found this on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/8c4ggr/gear_vr_lens_mod_for_the_htc_vive_review_and_guide/

P.S. Just read, this is not advisable if you wore glasses, because the lenses reach farther into the headset.

and again they don't say which adapter is actually being used. Why is it so hard for the nerds to direct blind donkeys to the technological creek?

• Like 1

Only place I see they sell the adapters is in Sweden, and shipping alone is more than twice the price of the adapter.

Anyone knows if I can buy them in the USA?

just print them in xero point - in my country  3d printer services are in every city.

2 hours ago, TWHYata_PL said:

downolad zip , print v3.2 adapter only ( and read txt file) , sorry if you Vive Pro than print Pro v12 or  Pro v14

it doesn't say which one is for VivePro in the .txt file or on the website.

I figured it's a v3.2 simply by doing a stare and compare between that out-of-focus youtube video and a cgi picture of the adapter. What is v12 and v14 you're referring to for VivePro????

sorry I made mistake, refering to barrel distortion fix which is different for Vive and PRo , you have right. 

"I do however notice some barrel distortion. Ironically, not nearly as bad as I see in the GearVR. The pre-lens distortion parameters, which are stored in a json file, need to be adjusted to account for the different lens shape. slikk66 has posted a fix with instructions here to account for the barrel distortion. There are separate versions for the Vive Pro, try ProV12 or ProV14. This is a work in progress.

Edited by TWHYata_PL

I also did the mod. Pretty easy to do, went a lot faster than expected. Getting all the dust and particles out is the tricky bit, you might need to have several attempts (as you can mostly only see the result when you put it on).

Totally worth it for simulators, still testing roomscale but all looks good. No godrays is fantastic in Elite Dangerous but it improves clarity everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Milopapa said:

I also did the mod. Pretty easy to do, went a lot faster than expected. Getting all the dust and particles out is the tricky bit, you might need to have several attempts (as you can mostly only see the result when you put it on).

Totally worth it for simulators, still testing roomscale but all looks good. No godrays is fantastic in Elite Dangerous but it improves clarity everywhere.

thank you for the update! Did you notice any reduction in scale? Apparently VivePro with fresnel lenses drops scale by 10%, then I saw someone on reddit mentioning that the mod drops it even further, i.e. 20-30% "smaller".

Someone mentioned that the mod fixes the Vive Pro scale from 90% to 1:1 like the Rift.

5 hours ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Someone mentioned that the mod fixes the Vive Pro scale from 90% to 1:1 like the Rift.

It fixes scale issues in ED, when you lower your Vive IPD setting below your real IPD.

I dont have ViVe PRO (yet) to check this with IL 2.

5 hours ago, moosya said:

someone on reddit mentioning that the mod drops it even further, i.e. 20-30% "smaller".

this guy didnt know that he must set Vive IPD below his real IPD, lenses from gear vr have different focus than frensel

Edited by TWHYata_PL

posted in another topic, here for continuation sake:

Disclaimer:  PERSONAL opinion. :)

I highly recommend doing the GearVR lense swap mod to VivePro. It seems scary but in reality it's extremely easy. Took 5 minutes. VivePro lenses came off without too much struggle, it seems the glue that held them in place is re-usable, sort of a soft adhesive, it's holding the gearvr+adapters in place with the same force as the fresnels.

Pros:

-  sweet spot is EXACTLY like Oculus. At least that's what it feels like to me after the mod.

-  clarity is awesome

-  IPD setting on the hmd (little physical knob on the right side) is actually useful

Cons:

-  IPD knob needs to be adjusted exactly to your inter pupilar distance

-  screendoor effect is a little bit more pronounced (a little!) but pixel resolution makes up plenty for it. This is more of a technical comment rather than anything else.

After doing a mod I can see why the HMD manufacturers are going with Fresnel lenses. They are a LOT more forgiving in regards to motion sickness as the IPD setting with fresnels is pretty loose and it works across a rather wide ipd distance without requiring any adjustments. I used VivePro for about 2 months with the original fresnel lenses and the IPD wheel didn't affect anything for me no matter the distance I was setting it on.  After doing the gearvr swap I immediately felt weird and had to adjust IPD precisely in order to reduce the vr-legs feeling. It's akin to the first 2-3 months with Oculus when I got it in 2016.

On 5/16/2018 at 3:39 PM, moosya said:

thank you for the update! Did you notice any reduction in scale? Apparently VivePro with fresnel lenses drops scale by 10%, then I saw someone on reddit mentioning that the mod drops it even further, i.e. 20-30% "smaller".

No, everything felt normal but I didn't do a lot of tests. I mostly played E:D and rFactor2 after I did the mod, not much flying yet. I'll report back when I can.

Btw, I have an original Vive, not Vive Pro.

I disconnected my Vive Pro, and packing and returning it for a refund.

Have my Oculus back and actually having more fun, dont have to aim for a sweet spot.

Only credit I can give Vive pro is better more vivid colors and really good performance, better than Oculus in those departments.

Also Vive pro with 3D Migoto mod you can have the scale correct, but it of the box it feels like a kit airplane everything about 80% scale.

I disconnected my Vive Pro, and packing and returning it for a refund.

Have my Oculus back and actually having more fun, dont have to aim for a sweet spot.

Only credit I can give Vive pro is better more vivid colors and really good performance, better than Oculus in those departments.

Also Vive pro with 3D Migoto mod you can have the scale correct, but it of the box it feels like a kit airplane everything about 80% scale.

I think it's unlikely its the VIVE pros fault to be honest bud. I use the VIVE and have never encountered the problems you have mentioned in regards to the sweet spot, it just isnt an issue for me, everything is nice and clear, with no blurriness. But I find why this should be so for me, and not others equally strange, but with expressions like 'aiming for the sweetspot' and 'losing the sweetspot' what you are describing sounds like a very strange and extreme case!

It sounds like these headsets can be rather like eyeglasses sometimes and one size doesent fit all, but personally I tend to only see what I am focused on. Though my vives foam has been worn to the bone I never rememeber having any of these issues even at launch!

Maybe my unit was faulty then, I dont think so though, but I am not bothered getting another one, hated the sound , and the size, I might try the Odyssey for half the price.

And the sweet spot claim is in all the reviews so maybe you dont care about that issue as much as most users, or I cared too much.

$1,200 for this quality is a rip off.

What I look forward the most is Oculus Rift 2, might be a while though.

11 hours ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Maybe my unit was faulty then, I dont think so though, but I am not bothered getting another one, hated the sound , and the size, I might try the Odyssey for half the price.

And the sweet spot claim is in all the reviews so maybe you dont care about that issue as much as most users, or I cared too much.

$1,200 for this quality is a rip off.

What I look forward the most is Oculus Rift 2, might be a while though.

I couldn't agree more.  The "sweet spot" issue is something I simply haven't been able to get over.  I think our problem is the Rift didn't have this issue so we've become accustomed to that and can't move past it.