Sign in to follow this  
Spit_

Congrats on the Kuban - VR user

Whilst I haven't flown much of anything in the last couple of days since I bought it..

I just love the Spitfire Vb and amazingly I can see the gun sight clearly without wriggling around in VR.... Something I haven't found yet in any other aircraft!

Two questions  and a suggestion - if anyone can help - remember its a VR set up.

Is there a key to have the Iron sights work in I-16? - for a VR set up

Are there any keys to offset the gunsight view in the Bf 109's - for a VR setup

Both used be available options in the IL2 series......?

Just a suggestion;

Consider the process of closing the non-master eye to shoot - perhaps you can close the non-master eye in the oculus? even bind it to the trigger button !! as a suggestion -  I've heard the suggestion of closing your eye in the goggles ( really silly )

why do you think closing your weaker eye in the goggles is silly ? works in real life, works in VR.

You can adjust your default seating position for various aircraft but the process is a bit fiddly. You have to start the game non VR. Adjust the position using the keys around the insert -delete- home- end- page up - page down, area of your keyboard, then press F10 to save, when you think you are close to where you want it to be. Shut down the game and relaunch in VR to see if its close enough. 

I found the seating position to be a bit too far back in the spit, like i would not be able to reach the peddles, so moved the default forwards a bit to where it felt more natural. For the 109's I just lean a little. 

I do tend to close my weaker eye before shooting, if the target is not filling my gunsight

For the 109s you really need to set your seating position back to center of the plane (and not use where it defaults to for flatscreen players), so that the right eye is behind the gunsight.

Gunsight is then interpolated in your brain. I never close an eye with the 109 gunsights, it works great with both eyes open.

That said, yes two eyes open on the much larger spitfire gunsight is also really cool.

I always aim with both eyes open, never a problem for me. However have only really flown the Yak -1 and Spit since getting into VR.

4 hours ago, Spit- said:

You can copy default - centered - saved views for german aircrafts from the Default folder which is inside the folder containing all saved views.

Edited by MicEzo

Closing one eye, are you serious ?  You know what they called Dead Eye ?

"Dick"

With optical sights, closing one eye is not only pointless but dangerous, as it reduces your situational awareness.  

Iron sight shooting might be helped, but again any realistic advantages are outwayed by the the loss of SA.  If you're consistently needing to close one eye, when shooting, then you're too far away and relying more on the limitations with the game rather than realistic gunnery.  Gunner stations where the gun butt is locked to the shoulder is different and closing one eye is recommended. Gunner stations that just have hand grips the former applies, use a combination of sights and tracer and keep both eyes open.  If you need to close an eye, it's too far away to shoot accurately, a squirt and watch the tracer is just as effective.  One problem, possibly the main problem, other than the lack of SA is the loss of depth perception which is difficult, at the best of times, to reference in the air with little, if any, extra sensory feedback.

i suspect if a pilot closes one eye it is more to close out distractions rather than simply to shoot more accurately through the sight, but that requires either a certain arrogance or fatalism.

42 minutes ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

Closing one eye, are you serious ?  You know what they called Dead Eye ?

"Dick"

With optical sights, closing one eye is not only pointless but dangerous, as it reduces your situational awareness.  

Iron sight shooting might be helped, but again any realistic advantages are outwayed by the the loss of SA.  If you're consistently needing to close one eye, when shooting, then you're too far away and relying more on the limitations with the game rather than realistic gunnery.  Gunner stations where the gun butt is locked to the shoulder is different and closing one eye is recommended. Gunner stations that just have hand grips the former applies, use a combination of sights and tracer and keep both eyes open.  If you need to close an eye, it's too far away to shoot accurately, a squirt and watch the tracer is just as effective.  One problem, possibly the main problem, other than the lack of SA is the loss of depth perception which is difficult, at the best of times, to reference in the air with little, if any, extra sensory feedback.

i suspect if a pilot closes one eye it is more to close out distractions rather than simply to shoot more accurately through the sight, but that requires either a certain arrogance or fatalism.

Do you use VR hagar ? try it. Look through the sight with both eyes, then close your weaker eye. If the sight stays pretty much centre you have nothing to worry about, and can keep both eyes open. If you find that occasionally you need to move your head, then your weaker eye is interfering.

In my experience, in a 109 I have to move my head more than I would have expected to get the sight central by closing one eye then the other. With both eyes sometimes I really struggled to hit my deflection shots. Closing the weaker eye momentarily while taking the shot seemed to help.

Closing one eye (usually left first)  is good for settng up correct viewing through lenses, especially with say, binoculars. I don`t have VR, but I suspect it works on the same principle.

20 hours ago, =FEW=Herne said:

Do you use VR hagar ? try it. Look through the sight with both eyes, then close your weaker eye. If the sight stays pretty much centre you have nothing to worry about, and can keep both eyes open. If you find that occasionally you need to move your head, then your weaker eye is interfering.

In my experience, in a 109 I have to move my head more than I would have expected to get the sight central by closing one eye then the other. With both eyes sometimes I really struggled to hit my deflection shots. Closing the weaker eye momentarily while taking the shot seemed to help.

Did you try my mod ? I will avoid you to close your eye :

but iI agree that the spit sight is the only one usable with both eye.

Hop in the early Il-2's with the gun sights, and hit the key that normally runs the gun sun shade in the 109's and than be amazed at what happens to your reflector sight in VR.

Thanks for the replies good reading. 

On 5/10/2018 at 2:11 PM, Spit- said:

Is there a key to have the Iron sights work in I-16? - for a VR set up

I was wondering about that as well. It states in the plane documentation that it can be raised. But on the other hand, you'd only use it if the reflector sight was broken or some electrical failure. But those are not modeled in the game.

If you mean the reticle, no, and there shouldn't be. The real knob on the bottom only turns off the sight and controls the brightness. For the russian planes it's a bit different, since they were a bit more pragmatic. Read the thread below for more info that I was able to gather.

Consider the process of closing the non-master eye to shoot - perhaps you can close the non-master eye in the oculus? even bind it to the trigger button !! as a suggestion -  I've heard the suggestion of closing your eye in the goggles ( really silly )

As others have stated, you need to keep both eyes open. Here's n old War Thunder VR guide I wrote explaining why:

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/337670-guide-how-to-aim-in-vr/