Spit_

Collector Planes

Can I purchase the Spitfire Vb and fly in Starlingrad and Moscow without buying Kuban?

17 minutes ago, Spit- said:

Can I purchase the Spitfire Vb and fly in Starlingrad and Moscow without buying Kuban?

Yes

Sorry, but the answer is no, if by 'fly in Starlingrad and Moscow' you mean in the single-player campaign. The Spit played no part there, so isn't an option.

P.S. 'it's 'Stalingrad'. No 'r' in it. ;)

Yeah, the Spit Mk. V only played a (very minor) role in VVS operation in the Caucasus in 1943, so no Spits at either Stalingrad or Moscow.

If you mean to fly in career mode, then no. If you want to fly over the maps in general, then no problem.

Actually you can fly the Spitfire in any campaign with PWCG...if you edit the json file of a fighter regiment (basically substitute aircraft type).

The regiment files are in PWCGCampaign > BoSData > Input > Squadron

This is a very :cool: aspect of PWCG!

53 minutes ago, busdriver said:

Actually you can fly the Spitfire in any campaign with PWCG...

This is something that can be done now? If I remember correctly this was an issue with PWCG - that it wasn't so simple to achieve with some minor edits to the files and expect a non-buggy outcome. What's changed recently?

I have a pretty simple edit that works with the latest and greatest build of PWCG. I edited the json of  the 11th Fighter Air Regiment. I am somewhat preoccupied with RL currently, but perhaps I'll get around to figuring out how get to winter skins to show in Stalingrad.

5af217edee4dd_11thFighterAirRegimentjson.JPG.0c1625876d78c3133ea2c9e33323de65.JPG

I adjusted the skill level a bit. In the original json, the unit changes airplanes. I substituted "spitfiremkvb" in three places, ignored the skins entries and changed the weighted roles from 80/20 to 90/10.  

5af217ea699be_RogerRamjetski.thumb.JPG.42a3956032e9438d35ba48ec645a48b6.JPG

5af21a0ea65f1_RogerRamjetski_01.thumb.jpg.2d9e2696e3d8138c0543a2e0d879bb56.jpg

5af21a15dc9bd_RogerRamjetski_02.thumb.jpg.450f3ed38a701c05872f04c6bc704d4f.jpg

5af21a1a2c4d1_RogerRamjetski_03.thumb.jpg.b88b90a3e7c97f5d7dfe5688a9153804.jpg

I ruined a perfectly good Spitfire...

Edited by busdriver
  • Thanks 1

In the interest of disclosure, out of the box PWCG only has the Spitfire on the Kuban map.  As BusDriver points out, the configs are all plain text so you can do whatever you want with PWCG after you download it ... just be aware that once you modify PWCG you own it any issues caused by the mods :) 

In game you would be limited to QMB, MP, and any SP missions for the Spitfire that do not use Kuban (doubt there are many of those).

• Thanks 1

@PatrickAWlson, @busdriver thanks so much guys. This is very helpful stuff. I love that this is possible with PWCG. It might not exactly be historical, but it's nice having a way to get more mileage out of collector planes falling out of a user's expansion set if that happens to be the case with OP. 

Much respect.

Also on MP you can fly it on any map (But you are at the mercy of mission builders as far as what aircraft are available of course).