Wolf8312

what pc game to buy?

Hey guys...

Got some funds in my steam wallet but it's so hard these days to buy a game that isnt total junk. I am actually upbeat about the gaming industry on the whole, but I constantly find myself disliking games that others are raving about. 

Anyone give me a reccomendation?

I'll give you some examples of great games in my opinion so you might have a better idea of the kinda thing I like.

DCS (obviously)

Battle of stalingrad (obviously)

Factorio (should play this more but its a time sink)

Chivalry (I love this kind of combat)

Men of war assault squad (best RTS ever IMO) and call to arms (loving this more and more and its free!)

A chair in the room VR (incredible VR experience though wonky physics)

DOOM

Alien isolation (especially with VR mod)

PUBG

ARMA 3

Rocket league

X com 2

Far Cry 1

Black Mesa

Grand theft auto five (with realism mod)

Ruiner

VEctor 36 (really recommend this sim to VR users starved of good content only trouble is it does not support my vkb pedals which kinda puts me off the whole thing!)

Basically I like good satitsfying/challenging combat/gameplay above all else and despise games that are dumbed down console rubbish made to be as mainstream as possible (y'know everything is flashing and its impossible to lose).  

To be honest having made this list I realize that really I should just download one of these fantastic games and actually play one of them but kinda hankering for a new experience. A VR experience that doesent get old, or indeed simply finish after 10 minutes would be nice, but I am so wary of taking recommendations for VR games.   

Have you though about Elite Dangerous?

I got it on a sale some weeks ago, the Horizons Edition which comes with everything. It is pretty cool in VR, has fairly steep learning curve though. I am still working through some training missions and learning, but not devoting much time to it yet - spend vast bulk of my time in IL-2.

Battletech having fun.

2 hours ago, dburne said:

Have you though about Elite Dangerous?

I got it on a sale some weeks ago, the Horizons Edition which comes with everything. It is pretty cool in VR, has fairly steep learning curve though. I am still working through some training missions and learning, but not devoting much time to it yet - spend vast bulk of my time in IL-2.

I have never really been able to get into Elite Dburne, it's just not really my thing although it should be exactly my thing! I find it too tedious and this becomes uncomfortable after a while with a VR headset. It's also way too time consuming and grindy but with the addition of aliens pehaps I should give it another go. I cant say I've ever really given it a fair chance (69 hours in all) and I bet on my new rig I could really crank up the eye candy! Might reinstall it!

I love Elite arena however but nobody seems to play it. The sim and combat side to it is brilliant. I've got Eve valkyrie which is a great combat space sim (worth it just to fly around) but also seems to have too few players. Really hoping a few more cockpit simulation games will come out.

Have you tried combat air patrol 2?

Refunded it myself but think maybe I should have given it more of a chance. Wasnt that impressed with the flight model though...

3 minutes ago, Klaue said:

Battletech having fun.

Refunded it! Haha

Nah have not tried Combat Air Patrol, I hardly have time with what I have between IL-2 and DCS, which is why currently Elite gets so little time.

I really do not have a good opinion on Elite for me as of yet, simply because am not putting much time into it yet.

I also keep wanting to get a racing sim, but don't know when I would be able to start to get into it.

Too captivated right now with IL-2  I guess.

Lone Echo is a pretty good game for VR, don't know if it would be a long enough game for you though. I have played it probably around half way through.

i recomend you grand prix legends from 98, best racing game ever, but you need a wheel

if you like multiplayer you can try assetto corsa but its not half as good as gpl

I've found Elite to be boring since it left the beta. They dumbed down the combat far too much by release for my taste. In any case, I've been enjoying Payday 2 VR a lot lately. Didn't expect much when I got it but it turned out to be a real gem. Skyrim VR is fun if you mod it so that archery works properly (bow/arrow are unplayable misaligned by default). But I played that to death 6 years ago, so it's not overly exciting to me.

1 hour ago, BeastyBaiter said:

I've found Elite to be boring since it left the beta. They dumbed down the combat far too much by release for my taste. In any case, I've been enjoying Payday 2 VR a lot lately. Didn't expect much when I got it but it turned out to be a real gem. Skyrim VR is fun if you mod it so that archery works properly (bow/arrow are unplayable misaligned by default). But I played that to death 6 years ago, so it's not overly exciting to me.

Elite just didn't have any personalization. It's kinda like that superman movie where he arrives in Krypton and listens to a recording of a bunch of people (telling him what to do) who have long since died, and no longer exist. It's just one big recorded message but nobody is actually there! The actual substance of the gameplay seemed rather like that old game 'driver' as opposed to the living breathing world of GTA 5, where the mission may be bright and exciting on paper but all you are ever actually doing is driving/flying from one place to the other.

The idea that your supposed to be alone in a vast empty universe seems to me to be a bit of a cop out, and at least what little of it I did play seemed to be utterly absent of any scripting and set pieces that might have made me feel as if there was some life and character in the universe I was inhabiting. The overall impression was that of a vast and soulless mission generator and a shit ton of mindless bots. But that may be unfair as I am basing that really on very little time playing the game, but also a lot of other players and reviewers who said similar things.

Yeah something about Skrim doesn't really grab me I mean its a classic so lord knows why. A big part of it is so many VR experiences that got hyped on Reddit and steam turned out to be pretty disposable. They also release these games at full price but seem to do very little work on them and depend largely on the modding community.

I also don't really get into RPGs generally (best one I ever played with real choices was deus ex). I bought that divinity original sin at Christmas expecting to love it like everyone else, but I just didn't get it!

I never find myself becoming or even caring about the characters like I am supposed to, or wanting to explore as other people might. Also VR is an experience best enjoyed in small doses. By the time I finish a BOS campaign mission I am ready to take the headset off especially as summer is now coming.

Playing a game like Skyrim or Elite in VR for me seems like a game for the future when the headsets are much lighter. But hell I even get uncomfortable wearing 3D glasses at the cinema after a while! 

6 minutes ago, Sokol1 said:

Thats an interesting one. I dont ussualy go in for survial games but suspect that one day I'm going to find one I really like.

52 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

57 minutes ago, Sokol1 said:

Thats an interesting one. I dont ussualy go in for survial games but suspect that one day I'm going to find one I really like.

Is completely different from anything in "survival" genre (Subnautica, The forest, DayZ...), is just survive alone in a "post-apocalypse" world - without zombies. :)

But if like is addictive (I play ~1.500 hours in last 2 years). 

I have no problem gaming in IL-2 or Elite for long lengths of time.

Sometimes I just hate taking the headset off as I am back to reality then...

;)

I replayed Republic Commando last month. Could not recommend it more, the graphics have aged well and it runs smooth as butter. You need to tweak the mouse sensitivity in a config file, other than that it's works well on modern systems. Fantastic plot and mechanics, for €3,99 on Steam right now.

Edited by 216th_Lucas_From_Hell

Satisfying and challenging combat gameplay?

Try the Dark Souls series - 1 and 3 are my favorites.

2 i dont like so much.

I see XCOM2 is on your list. Give Xenonauts a shot if you haven't already. It's a more in-depth version of the same kind of game if you don't mind stylized 2-D graphics.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, 216th_Lucas_From_Hell said:

I replayed Republic Commando last month. Could not recommend it more, the graphics have aged well and it runs smooth as butter. You need to tweak the mouse sensitivity in a config file, other than that it's works well on modern systems. Fantastic plot and mechanics, for €3,99 on Steam right now.

Which config file?

User.ini, in your profile folder. From the Steam forums:

you can try to change the sensitivity to whatever you want it to be and then hit alt+tab to go to your desktop. Then open your game again (it was already opened, just click on the game in the toolbar) then the sensitivity should change.
If that doesnt work, do the following:
1) Go to your profile folder inside save folder and open up user.ini with notepad.
2) Search for the line called MouseSensitivity under [Engine.PlayerInput]
3) If this line is set like ; MouseSensitivity delete the ; and all the spaces before MouseSensitivity so that it looks like this:
[Engine.PlayerInput]
; ButtonHoldDelay=.1
; DoubleTapThreshold=.5
; bInvertLook=False
MouseSensitivity=5
; JoySensitivityXY=1
; JoySensitivityUV=1
bCanDClickDodge=True

NOT LIKE THIS:
[Engine.PlayerInput]
; ButtonHoldDelay=.1
; DoubleTapThreshold=.5
; bInvertLook=False
; MouseSensitivity=5
; JoySensitivityXY=1
; JoySensitivityUV=1
bCanDClickDodge=True

Once you do that save the file and right click it. Select Read only and accept.

Well guys ended up getting a game called Lunar flight. Wow if you have VR you've seriously got to give it a try, you've tried helicopters, jets and bi-planes, now try a fricking space ship! Not so easy I gotta say (in fact very difficult so far) but hooo it's cool! Very immersive with great atmosphere!  Also and this is most important it can be easily set up to work with a HOTAS. Must buy IMO!

Company of Heroes is a very compelling,  challenging but ultimately superb isometric game:

• Upvote 1

And now my suggestion would be Wargame Red Dragon or Steel division that's the kind of strategy games I like.

• Upvote 1

I’m really enjoying Doom II with the Project Brutality mod and custom map wads.  Excellent gameplay.  

How about Onward (VR Tactical FPS)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGxNbqVE3wY

With multiplayer you obviously get reasonable replayability. Ive got over 200 hours in it and they are about to drop a long awaited patch for it.

On 5/5/2018 at 6:59 PM, Wolf8312 said:

Chivalry (I love this kind of combat

That game was freakin' hilarious!.. some of the taunts the knight would come out with were brilliant!

Great swordplay back in the day as well.

Kingdom Come -Deliverance,  probably the best RPG I have ever played.

Battletech, a great representation of the tabletop game.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

How about Onward (VR Tactical FPS)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGxNbqVE3wY

With multiplayer you obviously get reasonable replayability. Ive got over 200 hours in it and they are about to drop a long awaited patch for it.

That game was freakin' hilarious!.. some of the taunts the knight would come out with were brilliant!

Great swordplay back in the day as well.

yeah :) playing with a friend, endless hilarity!

On 09/05/2018 at 11:43 PM, Space_Ghost said:

Graviteam Tactics games (and Tank Warfare: Tunisia) can frequently be picked up on sales.

Definitely worth the look.

Just got the mius front any tips for getting better and actually enjoying the game? I have the original but could never get into it!

I just got Rising Storm 2: Vietnam recently and it is my new favorite shooter for online play. I have 400 plus hours in squad and I thinkRS2 is a better game and it is more fun.

The visceral feel, the gore, the teamwork involved can make for some really fun battles. The helis are also actually decently modeled, requires a decent pilot.

It's a very challenging game and really satisfying unlike squad where there isn't alot of satisfaction for me in it right now.

Anyway, if you want a fun and challenging game, I can whole heartedly suggest Rising Storm 2, I can't understand all the flak it got now, kinda reminds me of IL-2 BoX when it first came out.

Oh one last thing, the community in RS2 is really good too.

Anyway... "GO HOME GI"

On 5/9/2018 at 8:44 AM, Feathered_IV said:

I’m really enjoying Doom II with the Project Brutality mod and custom map wads.  Excellent gameplay.  

You would like Brutal Doom 64, I think its probably the best version of doom, the levels are creepy and the updated sprites from the 64 version honestly are so much nicer in my opinion and they really go well with the zandronum source port effects (updated lighting and all).

Edited by Foghorn

58 minutes ago, Foghorn said:

I just got Rising Storm 2: Vietnam recently and it is my new favorite shooter for online play. I have 400 plus hours in squad and I thinkRS2 is a better game and it is more fun.

The visceral feel, the gore, the teamwork involved can make for some really fun battles. The helis are also actually decently modeled, requires a decent pilot.

It's a very challenging game and really satisfying unlike squad where there isn't alot of satisfaction for me in it right now.

Anyway, if you want a fun and challenging game, I can whole heartedly suggest Rising Storm 2, I can't understand all the flak it got now, kinda reminds me of IL-2 BoX when it first came out.

Oh one last thing, the community in RS2 is really good too.

Anyway... "GO HOME GI"

You would like Brutal Doom 64, I think its probably the best version of doom, the levels are creepy and the updated sprites from the 64 version honestly are so much nicer in my opinion and they really go well with the zandronum source port effects (updated lighting and all).

I have and liked RO1 though I kinda got bored with it in the end as it's a bit of a dying simulator. How does RS2 compare?

38 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

I have and liked RO1 though I kinda got bored with it in the end as it's a bit of a dying simulator. How does RS2 compare?

RS2 is a much more aggressive dying simulator in my experience. Owned it since release and have yet to had any fun with it.

I play RO2 when I want to have fun and get some kills. I play RS2 when my friend who bought it for me forces me.

2 hours ago, Wolf8312 said:

Just got the mius front any tips for getting better and actually enjoying the game? I have the original but could never get into it!

Hate to say it but it's a series you have to kind of just dip your balls in.

Very little English documentation and not a lot of gameplay videos... Definitely an underappreciated, undermarketed strategy game. I haven't found or played another like it.

Edited by Space_Ghost

On 5/8/2018 at 12:59 PM, Mysticpuma said:

Company of Heroes is a very compelling,  challenging but ultimately superb isometric game:

Definitely CoH2. It just doesn't get old, MP is very competitive.

It's been a while since a PC game was released that grabbed me.

Love the Barman Arkham games but Arkham Knight was crap on PC.

No Jedi Knight, No Thief...seems like a barren landscape compared to the old days. Admittedly I've stopped paying attention for the most part. I like Squadron 42 - in theory.

6 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

It's been a while since a PC game was released that grabbed me.

Love the Barman Arkham games but Arkham Knight was crap on PC.

No Jedi Knight, No Thief...seems like a barren landscape compared to the old days. Admittedly I've stopped paying attention for the most part. I like Squadron 42 - in theory.

Is S42 out?

I backed SC and followed it for a while but then stopped completely.

I don't believe it is...that's why I said "in theory" :)

I am having *enormous* fun creating and playing teams in Super Mega Baseball 2.  Wonderful cartoon looks belie the deep sim beneath it.  If you like baseball I recommend it highly.

https://postimg.cc/image/zbw858m3h/

I re-installed diablo 3 a week or two ago, because I saw my son playing it on his PC. Playing a seasonal wizard hero on Hardcore (Dead is Dead)  currently clearing torment 8 solo greater rifts. It's changed a lot since I last played in the early days. 

Love the carnage, and am constantly shitting my pants knowing that every time I take my wizzy out it could be the last :)

Edited by =FEW=Herne

22 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

I don't believe it is...that's why I said "in theory" :)

Wow.  I thought Squadron 42 was garunteed to come out last year.  

Farming Simulator...

When you've "bought the farm" as often as I have in IL-2 you may as well get some use out of it :cool:

im gonna get a life simulator to waste mine with

• Haha 1

A homeless simulator could be pretty useful for teaching people empathy if it was done well. The one in that video is, uh... not. It looks like an exploitation game instead of an insightful and entertaining simulator.

The Long Dark is really a good lone survival wilderness game if people are into that. Not super realistic, but realistic and atmospheric enough to be a really good time if you're into that.

Edited by Sambot88