Bearfoot

Are there more Eastern Front flyable aircraft types planned?

For e.g., fighters such as the Yak-3 or Yak-9 or  La-7? Maybe even IL-10 or Li-2?

No more eastern front expansions in the near future, so advanced aircraft like the Yak-3 are unlikely as they don't fit the current eastern front timeframe in the game

Po-2 is under development by a 3rd party, Li-2 may be developed if Po-2 is a success.

Edited by Custard
  • Upvote 2

We know that it will be at least two more realises before another front. As with anything like this they want as much planes as possible but it will rely on how successful BOBP is.

Hopefully we get more customers and that will allow them to release some collector plane packs or something similar. 

Edited by AeroAce

I think it is highly likely for the future. However they obviously need to prosper commercially with their three announced titles (BoBL, TC and FC) and the revenue from those will not be available before 2019 earliest. So keep your fingers crossed. If all goes to plan we might see them start developing follow up projects (whatever content they might hold) as soon as 2019/2020.

I wouldn't expect more modern aircraft like Yak-3 and La-7 but I could expect aircraft to flesh out early USSR more, I-153, M-105P powered LaGG-3 and Yak-1/7, SB-2M etc

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The team is based in Russia, I'm sure it will happen somehow at some point.  Not a full release, but individual aircraft - especially since we'll have their contemporary German adversaries.

It would be a shame if not. I am pretty sure they will make not only more planes but also more scenarios. ;)

Yeah my money is against any full Russian releases any time in the foreseeable future and likely never. Maps - sure. Too much else to cover..:bring on PTO, then PTO, then more PTO, Normandy...and Korea. ;)

• Confused 1

I hope for kursk (maybe tank map will get expanded with it will be popular) and Leningrad. Hope it's not over of ostfront )=

It would require the new title and Bodenplatte, Tank Clash, Flying Circus, Pacific will take next few years. I think it's possible to have some planes from current time frame, especially 1941 variants of Yak-1 and LAGG-3, Ju-87B, IAR-80, I-153, SB-2.

Edited by bies
  • Upvote 1

Po-2 and Li-2 have already been mentioned of course, but some Western-Front aircraft might translate back over to the East. I could imagine maybe a Spitfire variant or perhaps a Hurricane, if they ever do that. Some upgrades to existing types might also be possible (e.g. Ju 52/3m g5e W) or some Yak variants that are very similar to existing ones... but perhaps with different loadouts (again drawing on what is implemented in BoBo). It may also be that Tank Crew brings in some game elements that then results in another aircraft as a collector plane. Certainly Tank Crew will seems to be an obvious place for Eastern Front material.

Late war east front would make sense. With Bodenplatte we get a lot of the late german stuff, so there is only need for 44/45 russian planes and a nice map for 44/45 operations. Maybe 2020 ? We will see what surprizes the future holds.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, bies said:

It would require the new title and Bodenplatte, Tank Clash, Flying Circus, Pacific will take next few years. I think it's possible to have some planes from current time frame, especially Yak-1 and LAGG-3 variants from 1941, I-153, SB-2.

An early Stuka, I-153, Hs-123, and Hurricane would be early eastern front planes I'd want to see. Early Yak-1/7s, early MiG-3s, and early LaGGs can be done with a little bit of tweaking to the current ones, a bit less power, and equippable rockets for the Yak-7/MiG.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, =621=Samikatz said:

An early Stuka, I-153, Hs-123, and Hurricane would be early eastern front planes I'd want to see. Early Yak-1/7s, early MiG-3s, and early LaGGs can be done with a little bit of tweaking to the current ones, a bit less power, and equippable rockets for the Yak-7/MiG.

That would be very nice. My dream would be enough operations/modules so that you can start flying with 22.June 1941 and end a career at Berlin 8.May 1945. Maybe in between even different career branches so that you can decide to fly southern Stalingrad/Kuban/Romania area or Mid area with Smolensk/Rzhev/Moscow or Northern area with Leningrad/Murmansk/Kurland. We can only dream.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I hope not.I am tired of the eastern front.

I wouldnt buy another eastern front title.

Maybe some German types that also fit the new European theatre would be viable.  Although most of these would be observation and support types, wheras the focus of the game appears to be switching to Warclouds style brawlers for the next few years at least.  

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, PA_Spartan- said:

Maps and maps. We need maps. :gamer:

https://il2sturmovik.com/news/392/dev-blog-192/

It's important to note that the new map will be special and different (once again!). The set development time limits force us to find the ways to optimize our work, simultaneously increasing the quality of the landscape. This means we ought to implement new design methods, namely using digital geodata instead of drawing by hand. This way we can save time, but increase the accuracy of the resulting map.

It's possible the devs might look to sell standalone maps in the future, like DCS does, if it's easier for them to make them now. I'm not sure what's an appropriate price, though. Maybe little mini-expansions with a map and 4 planes for like 20-30 bux?

• Upvote 1

I miss the FW-189 that we had in IL2FB, quirky, weird looking, pretty useless...but I liked it.

P-40B, Hurricane, I-153 fits into the BOM time frame. At least a map in WoL correspond to early 1944, so P-39N/Q, Yak-7-37 and the bubble canopy version of the La-5F could be added also. With little modifications of the already existed planes, except for the I-153 and Hurricane of course.

Edited by Tag777

I don't mind if we don't see a complete "Battle" title for eastern front but I would like to see the Tu-2 done, right now there is only the Pe-2 and A-20, neither of which carry the punch of the 88 and 111, the Bf-110 will carry the same load as the Pe-2.  Tu-2 carries bigger bomb load and it's very fast as well.

Mass production began in September 1941, at Omsk Aircraft Factory Number 166, with the first aircraft reaching combat units in March 1942. 

General characteristics

Performance

Armament

Edited by 19//Hoss
  • Upvote 1

Lagg 3 66 series is essential for Kuban. Literally a +30 kmh lagg in comparison to 1942 variant. The one we have is very out of place in 1943.

There is a huge gap between la5 8ser (540) and la5fn (580). I want to see la5f (560 kmh) as an intermediate aircraft.

These two are essential for the first period of the war.

Edited by Max_Damage
  • Upvote 2

Would love a Yak 3 & 9 one day... :P

and don't forget the hurricane....  :ph34r:

10 hours ago, 19//Hoss said:

I don't mind if we don't see a complete "Battle" title for eastern front but I would like to see the Tu-2 done, right now there is only the Pe-2 and A-20, neither of which carry the punch of the 88 and 111, the Bf-110 will carry the same load as the Pe-2.  Tu-2 carries bigger bomb load and it's very fast as well.

Mass production began in September 1941, at Omsk Aircraft Factory Number 166, with the first aircraft reaching combat units in March 1942. 

General characteristics

Performance

Armament

Tu-2 would be amazing

Maybe Leningrad as one of the last in the series, before we go to Berlin? That way you can have the epic 3 year campaign, with the Finns and the British, all sorts of planes, and with all sorts of targets, from Panzer IIs to King Tigers. As well as naval stuff. That career would be a master piece, the jewel of the Il-2 crown. 

After BoBP, I hope for Malta, or Italy. Or maybe more Eastern Front stuff. Maybe they can make Cliffs of Dover include a career and mouse control and all the improvements that have come in this series? Who knoes what they could do next.

• Upvote 1

That's a great "everything that's never going to happen" post.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

That's a great "everything that's never going to happen" post.

But why? They can make Leningrad with the Finns, and then we will have all the German aircraft already.

Makes sense, right?

2 hours ago, hames123 said:

Makes sense, right

In a world where costs, deadlines, and developer priorities don't matter, sure.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Plus with the business model the devs have adopted, I don't think they want to do theaters where one of the sides already have all the aircrafts made so they have nothing new to sell.

• Upvote 2

Bodenplatte and Flying Circus seem targeted at the US and European markets.  More people, (> 700 million vs < 200 million in Russia) and more money.  Not sure what the appeal of WWII flight sims is in Asia, but if it's there then the Pacific also makes sense.  

Great Battles got going with a loyal Russian market as well as dedicated IL2 and RoF fans worldwide.  If it is not the most highly regarded WWII flight sim on the market I don't know what is.  Trying to get market share in the rest of the world just makes sense.

But yes, I do hope that they come back to the eastern front.  IMHO next step in the east is Bagration.

• Like 2

I think Stalingrad was initially chosen because the developers have easy access to Russian documentation, plus it's one of the most iconic battles in history with a lengthy air operation as one of its defining moments.

I think most flight sim fans aren't that patriotic to any particular nation, and just want to play whatever is interesting and important. Kuban excited me because the terrain is beautiful and fantastic for dogfighting with enormous mountain ranges and long coastlines, and the plane set is quite diverse. Bodenplatte excites me because we're getting some of the highest performance planes of the war, a new front with new nations, and a battle where the Germans are on the backfoot and desperate. The Pacific would be exciting because, again, a new front, with a new emphasis on naval power, carriers, and long flights over deadly open ocean. We could get sea planes, torpedo bombers, and if it's Midway like was announced, a lot of the planes on both sides will be very agile, so we might see a lot of intense, close dogfighting

11 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Bodenplatte and Flying Circus seem targeted at the US and European markets.  More people, (> 700 million vs < 200 million in Russia) and more money.  Not sure what the appeal of WWII flight sims is in Asia, but if it's there then the Pacific also makes sense.  

Oh i know a ton of people who would love to fly in pacific(me included). I would prefer pacific 1942 instead of flying circus or tonks, but that's only my opinion.

Spanish civil war would be nice as well. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Great Battles got going with a loyal Russian market as well as dedicated IL2 and RoF fans worldwide.  If it is not the most highly regarded WWII flight sim on the market I don't know what is.  Trying to get market share in the rest of the world just makes sense.

But yes, I do hope that they come back to the eastern front.  IMHO next step in the east is Bagration.

I would love to see Kuban continued into a Crimean map.  Loved it in legacy IL2 especially after the RRR map was done. 

Hoss

Edited by 19//Hoss

I will see you in muh F2A-3 (but I would much prefer the dash 2).

20 hours ago, LukeFF said:

In a world where costs, deadlines, and developer priorities don't matter, sure.

...add to that revenue.

IL-4 is definitely needed. I wouldn't mind a Fw-189 either (no, I'm lying, I'd love one).

On 5/3/2018 at 11:22 PM, Feathered_IV said:

Maybe some German types that also fit the new European theatre would be viable.  Although most of these would be observation and support types, wheras the focus of the game appears to be switching to Warclouds style brawlers for the next few years at least.  

Warclouds-style brawlers?

It was a well known server ten years or more ago.  It featured every later war uber plane in continuous rotation and little else.