Bearfoot

Mosquito in Bodenplatte?

On 5/8/2018 at 9:12 PM, HagarTheHorrible said:

if post combat analysis is anything to go by, and the dev's model the rockets accurately then it's going to offer a very poor return for effort expended (4% by some accounts).

We can expect rockets to be far more effective in game than in the war for the same reasons bombing small targets is far more effective in game than it was in the war.

We are operating in a low stress environment, we get tonnes of live fire practice and we are willing to take risks (or even die dozens of times) to learn from our errors. Weapons do not malfunction and our sights are perfectly lined up. Targets are not usually well hidden.

• Upvote 3

Mossie is really needed in the ETO, as is the Spit XIV and Typhoon. I´m sure we´ll see it sooner or later. Close to release of BoBP they most likely announce what their plans with regard to collector planes are. I guess in late fall we might know more.

• Like 2

A

58 minutes ago, UOAFghostdog688 said:

If I had to I’d buy it for DCS but I’m in the same boat as you - I’d prefer the aircraft in a proper WW2 sim with an environment that makes sense!

Exactly. I will admit some youtube viewing has shown thryve made some startling improvements. The flak looks way better. The 4engines look good.  But they REALLY need to fiz the .50 cal damage model. Ffs this also nerfs the F86 as well!!

However I dont think it needs to be either or so I genuinely wish them the best.    Im not rich so purchasing may be either or but Im all for both sims developing in any and all ways possible. This gives me more choices.

I loved flying the 51 in DCS and feel it opened my eyes to how the real bird really flew. I ddint love the at the time lack of ww2 assets, normandy map or anything except a campaign set in moxern day.  Also the .50s were oh so weak.  I dont know if I bought it now I may feel totally different.

I think on 2 or 3 years DCS may well be VERY impressive WW2 wise. We.ll see. Of course by then IL2 will provably have advamced quite a bit as well.

On 7/12/2019 at 11:31 AM, Sublime said:

Of course by then IL2 will provably have advamced quite a bit as well.

If the present rate is maintained, it will have progressed a lot indeed.

25 minutes ago, danielprates said:

If the present rate is maintained, it will have progressed a lot indeed.

Yes quite. Progress in what direction is the great mystery at the moment.

To me I still cannot understand why they left Kuban and went to Bodenplatte and FC.  It just seems odd to me that a game named after a Soviet AF plane in the East Front stops in Mid 43.  More surprising too because its a Russian made game - if anything youd think theyd want to cover the Soviets peak points more - credit to them for not doing that.

I still want my Kursk/Bagration/Berlin stuff 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sublime said:

To me I still cannot understand why they left Kuban and went to Bodenplatte and FC

Far larger market and revenue potential. They wanted to do the Pacific, but that was a bit tricky, while BoBp suits ideally the tac-air focus of the series and allows the modelling of famous aircraft. DCS was doing Normandy, TF is covering NA, Pacific was too difficult at this stage and Kuban was the 3rd Eastern map in a row. So BP made a lot of sense.

• Upvote 1

How come ALL discussions eventually derail into this repetitive, beaten over ad nauseam, topic of PTO this, MTO that, I want more russian planes this, no I want  battle of britain that....? Sweet jesus, enough already.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Sublime said:

Yes quite. Progress in what direction is the great mystery at the moment.

To me I still cannot understand why they left Kuban and went to Bodenplatte and FC.  It just seems odd to me that a game named after a Soviet AF plane in the East Front stops in Mid 43.  More surprising too because its a Russian made game - if anything youd think theyd want to cover the Soviets peak points more - credit to them for not doing that.

I still want my Kursk/Bagration/Berlin stuff 

Because while not true for everyone,  the majority of us are sick to the point of vomiting with the Eastern Front and Jason knows it.

They need to move on, they need to sell units...so bye bye Russia.

11 hours ago, danielprates said:

How come ALL discussions eventually derail into this repetitive, beaten over ad nauseam, topic of PTO this, MTO that, I want more russian planes this, no I want  battle of britain that....? Sweet jesus, enough already.

Don't forget B-17's

Also PTO talk is never bad and should be welcomed and encouraged at every opportunity.

Let's talk about the Zero...it's a Mosquito thread but who cares.

Edited by Gambit21
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

So BP made a lot of sense.

To me there was an element of jumping the shark in the choice of skipping ahead to the end of the war so soon.  If there does end up being additional chapters it will be very interesting to see what they choose.  

1 hour ago, Feathered_IV said:

To me there was an element of jumping the shark in the choice of skipping ahead to the end of the war so soon.  If there does end up being additional chapters it will be very interesting to see what they choose.  

That’s one way of viewing it, but if you formed a list of criteria (interest, market appeal, potential revenue, difficulty) and then reviewed a series of battles that would ‘fit’ a give map and aircraft set, BoBp makes a lot of sense.

Yeah that’s what I mean.  It’s arguably the most profitable theatre piece to do.  So rather than drip feeding the customers with increasingly better aircraft over several years until they reached the finale, they jumped straight to it.  It will be interesting to see whether they keep going forward in time after that, or decide to go backwards again and carve out a living by filling in all the blanks with expansions full of “crap planes” as they are called.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Feathered_IV said:

Yeah that’s what I mean.  It’s arguably the most profitable theatre piece to do.  So rather than drip feeding the customers with increasingly better aircraft over several years until they reached the finale, they jumped straight to it.  It will be interesting to see whether they keep going forward in time after that, or decide to go backwards again and carve out a living by filling in all the blanks with expansions full of “crap planes” as they are called.  

That rather answers the question, though: The company has to make money before it can make content. Adding aircraft for unsuitable maps is not likely the best way to draw users and revenue.

Edited by EAF19_Marsh

This is exaclty what worriesme though.  Theyre never going to make so much money off a relatively niche game that they can simply take 3 yrs off for the "hardcore of us" to make more obscure planes.

What Im getting at is if they skipped the rest of Russia - I doubt we.ll be seeing WW2 Russia in this engine again. Id be happy to be wrong.  Thats all well and good.  What concerns me though is the very real feelings some have and stated about not wanting to go backwards in terms of AC.

1C doesnt seem to actually have that issue - FC is nothing if not going back - but it is worrisome because BP isnt simply a move to the west its a move to the end of the west as well.

Id really love mosquitos in game. Blah blah blah mosquitos. (There not o/t) blah plywood.

;)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sublime said:

1C doesnt seem to actually have that issue - FC is nothing if not going back -

FC has begun with the late war 1917-18 aircraft.  There isn't anywhere else to go but backwards in that timeline.  

Posted (edited)

EAA 2018. Was crawling around the bomb bay and reading the notes of the restorers to each other.

Edit: tried to add more but the forum is not currently cooperating.

B37A3CA1-2D24-4A21-801D-0774DC3BC424.thumb.jpeg.f02b04880ff57e568906b5ab70036bb5.jpeg

Edited by ACG_Kai_Lae

8 hours ago, Dogbert1953 said:

No Mossie no more IL-2 purchases for me.

That's the attitude. 

having a small team dedicated to building collector planes could be a good revenue stream for the studio.

It would help flesh out theaters we already have, and may also be relevant for theaters of the future. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Herne said:

having a small team dedicated to building collector planes could be a good revenue stream for the studio.

It would help flesh out theaters we already have, and may also be relevant for theaters of the future. 

I agree. I can think of at least 10 additional planes I would buy instantly if they would get integrated in the existing career modes of BoM, BoS and BoK. Maybe their cooperation with the studio which produced the U2 could be expanded?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Herne said:

As long as it's profitable.

Posted (edited)

Kind of shooting own foot off getting to the end that soon. 

I think the fact they left out bombers and only listened to fighter jockeys, will eventually be the demise of this game. And if they stop making money? What then? They need to stsy alive for us to enjoy the game. 

It might end up being a bunch of dogfight servers. 

With the highly effective aa you wont see many 

low level attacks. 

For me this has become a half hour kill time endeavor.  And for that it is great. 

TAW might change that when they starts again 

Edited by LuseKofte
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

I think the fact they left out bombers and only listened to fighter jockeys, will eventually be the demise of this game. And if they stop making money? What then? They need to stsy alive for us to enjoy the game. 

low level attacks. 

For me this has become a half hour kill time endeavor.  And for that it is great. 

The sim has plenty of bombers... but the reason they're somewhat left out is they tend to be more complex. We'll almost certainly be getting a collector's B-25, and the mossie is quite likely as well. 

1 hour ago, LuseKofte said:

low level attacks. 

Did you ever try the ACG campaign server ? pretty sure they have organised bomber jockies, I rode along to make up the numbers in a JU88 one evening, so guess they have PE-2 squadrons as well.

It's immersive stuff, hearing the mission Chatter unfold as things progress. Well worth a try imo

On 7/15/2019 at 7:07 PM, Gambit21 said:

Because while not true for everyone,  the majority of us are sick to the point of vomiting with the Eastern Front and Jason knows it.

They need to move on, they need to sell units...so bye bye Russia.

Wow, did you cause a local flood of puke in your neighborhood while working on your Eastern Front campaign? How do you know that there's a majority of these sick people?

Honestly, I didn't really care that much about which theater would be the next after Operation Bodenplatte up to this moment. But now I really want another Eastern Front expansion ASAP just to see

On 7/15/2019 at 7:07 PM, Gambit21 said:

the majority of us are sick to the point of vomiting

That would be hilarious. I hope you got enough vomit bags.

it’s OK, the Mosquito was used in Italy so they will be able to release it with the next installment. Battle of Italy is a no-brainer now.

😁

19 minutes ago, Jaegermeister said:

it’s OK, the Mosquito was used in Italy so they will be able to release it with the next installment. Battle of Italy is a no-brainer now.

😁

One can only dream 🤞

3 hours ago, Arthur-A said:

Wow, did you cause a local flood of puke in your neighborhood while working on your Eastern Front campaign? How do you know that there's a majority of these sick people?

Honestly, I didn't really care that much about which theater would be the next after Operation Bodenplatte up to this moment. But now I really want another Eastern Front expansion ASAP just to see

That would be hilarious. I hope you got enough vomit bags.

Now that I have a minute, I think everyone but you realized I was being a bit facetious with that post.

Either that or perhaps this is an attempt at humor that's falling a bit flat.

In either case, no worries. These things happen. :)

In all seriousness, there's quite a few of us who have payed for the development of the Eastern Front simply (or mostly) to move along to other things.

Even in the old says, when I preferred Pacific and ETO missions and had them available, I still created and hosted Eastern Front CoOps now and then...because I had a choice in the matter. When I have a choice/wide variety, then it's nice to be able to mix things up and go back and visit the Eastern front for a minute, and we often did.

There's a lot of interesting things about the Eastern Front, and the Kuban map is stellar, but it's time to move along for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is to grow the product, grow the user base, and give everyone more choices. Either from a product purchase standpoint (growing the user-base/revenue) or on a night to night or mission to mission basis.

Hope that clarifies things as you seemed worried about the vomit thing. ;)

• Upvote 2

Not someone who posts often here, but always read the forum when bored (SP only for me, will buy BP when I can get away with it ) so can't resist putting in my 2 cents:

1) Mosquito? Heck yeah, would spring for that. No question.

2) I would be quite fine with historically effective rockets (that is, less accurate and not very deadly on a shot-by-shot basis) IF I was attacking historically reasonable armoured columns (i.e, not 85% tanks). If it's a game engine limitation, I totally get that...everybody wants to kill some armor and we can't have a whole division on the road. But that's me speaking of SP; not sure what you guys encounter online? For sure in career, it would get old real fast if ordnance was less effective the way the missions are set up....every other day in some careers seems to be  "attack armored column" so is nice to be able to actually do something.

3) PTO? Yes, please! Dissimilar combat is the most fun and was my favorite scenario by far in old Il-2. I get that people who are online could want more or less equal-performing mounts, but in SP it gets stale due to AI. Rata vs 109 F is fun, either side. Yak vs 109, less fun. Just my opinion...much like zekes vs corsairs or oscars vs lightnings; that sort of thing always seems to be more entertaining when up against AI than fighting something that performs similarly. PTO is the epitome of such if it needs to be kept historical and fighter types, unless you get up to phantoms vs migs. Sorry if I upset anyone by mentioning it again but that's what made me log in when I saw the above; wanted to add an unheard voice.

Cheers & good night to all.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2018 at 4:30 PM, Bearfoot said:

For some reason ,  Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder SolitaireI was under the impression that this would be part of the mix ... but now I cannot see any reference to it anywhere. Was it ever planned? Will it ever be planned?

A mossi would sit between the HS129 and JU88 in terms of model challenge. 

Edited by zafirkalvin

Posted (edited)

I do not think they intend to make any bombers for bobp. 

I think they just did a “what the hell , give em what they want, and we earn money”  decision.

Adding bombers as many here seem to think, would only make them less money.

I give a rat ass for this pack, but I do care about

what is next.

Will they only accommodate fighter jockeys or will they make a true ww2 combat sim 

Edited by LuseKofte
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Mosquito? No one needs a heavy fighters/ bombers, because they are boring and pure cannon fodder (just as the 110 G2).

They rather should make some cool, interesting and well selling aircrafts like the MK XIV, P47 M, Ta 152, Mustang MK III, He 162 , or the G10, this is the stuff wich the community wants!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, I./ZG1_Krokodilor said:

just as the 110 G2)

Run into xjammer online recently? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, I./ZG1_Krokodilor said:

Mosquito? No one needs a heavy fighters/ bombers, because they are boring and pure cannon fodder (just as the 110 G2).

They rather should make some cool, interesting and well selling aircrafts like the MK XIV, P47 M, Ta 152, Mustang MK III, He 162 , or the G10, this is the stuff wich the community wants!

All though I believe you represent the majority of mp players. I do not hope so. 

And what exactly do you want the ME 162 for when there is no bombers?

23 minutes ago, Diggun said:

Run into xjammer online recently? 

Quite a few more find the 110 G2 handy

50 minutes ago, I./ZG1_Krokodilor said:

Please speak for yourself, not for the community. 

• Upvote 5

56 minutes ago, I./ZG1_Krokodilor said:

I think you might be surprised that a great many people in the community hold a very different viewpoint on this. While I'm a huge fan of fighters like the ones you've listed, I'm also very firmly in the camp that want to see types like the Mosquito represented. I've had more fun flying Bf110s and the A-20B in low level attack runs, the likes of which the Mosquito would do well at, than flying as a fighter and I know I'm not alone on this.

For the sim to continue to succeed it needs to keep doing what it has done since IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad and that is to deliver a varied experience for fans of everything. From the high performance fighters to the fans of flying a level bomber and everything in between.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

I think you might be surprised that a great many people in the community hold a very different viewpoint on this. While I'm a huge fan of fighters like the ones you've listed, I'm also very firmly in the camp that want to see types like the Mosquito represented. I've had more fun flying Bf110s and the A-20B in low level attack runs, the likes of which the Mosquito would do well at, than flying as a fighter and I know I'm not alone on this.

For the sim to continue to succeed it needs to keep doing what it has done since IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad and that is to deliver a varied experience for fans of everything. From the high performance fighters to the fans of flying a level bomber and everything in between.

Totally agree. Can't think of a more entertaining scenario for me than flying a specialized aircraft in a particular task.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Personally I can feel the joy of fighterpilots when they find me at 5 K alone in a bomber. 

Sometimes they prolong my demise so I almost

feel I get a chance. 

Surely they too must be ok with more fat targets 

Posted (edited)

Ye right in a moment of sunstroke I mixed me 163 and he 162. 

Heat has arrived to northern norway. And I dont care for it

to me it never really appealed in old il2 

one could just as well fly starwars

Edited by LuseKofte

I have to totally agree with Shamrock and Gallahad and add that for all of us who claim to be speaking for what "everyone really wants" (note EVERYONE)

And EVERYtime someone ends up commenting that they disagree.

I agree with Shamrock totally they need variety to appeal to all and variety makes it more fun anyways.

• Like 1