Bearfoot

Mosquito in Bodenplatte?

For some reason, I was under the impression that this would be part of the mix ... but now I cannot see any reference to it anywhere. Was it ever planned? Will it ever be planned?

Was it ever mentioned as planned to be part of Bodenplatte? No.

Will it make its way into the game at some point in the future? Almost definetly.

Personally I think it would be great as part of a 1943/44 Italy expansion but that's just me.

Edited by Custard
  • Upvote 2

DCS has just confirmed they are going to do one.  That is quite irritating for me as I wanted to wash my hands of the whole DCS WW2 debacle but now I may have to go back.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

DCS has just confirmed they are going to do one.  That is quite irritating for me as I wanted to wash my hands of the whole DCS WW2 debacle but now I may have to go back.

At their glacial pace of development BoX will have gone to the Pacific and come back to the West before their 262 is released, let alone the Mosquito.

• Haha 7
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

DCS has just confirmed they are going to do one.  

Oh...great.

I'll have to choose between playing Star Citizen 4 and trying out the DCS Mossie. Maybe I'll let them both sit and just go see Avengers 17.

• Haha 12
  • Upvote 1

Putting time, money and resources to one side there is no technical reason we could not get one. A mossi would sit between the HS129 and JU88 in terms of model challenge. 

ED just gotta wait for the virtual trees to grow in order to make it. Its all about the detail don't y'know!

Edited by BOO
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, AeroAce said:

Putting time, money and resources to one side there is no technical reason we could not get one. A mossi would sit between the HS129 and JU88 in terms of model challenge. 

As far as externals it's a relatively simple aircraft  model by any standard, and that's never the development challenge anyway. 

At this point, I wish we would get a Mossie, just so people quit asking about it. :dry:

2 minutes ago, Warpig said:

At this point, I wish we would get a Mossie, just so people quit asking about it. :dry:

There will always be a plane people are asking about unless we get the IL2:1946 portfolio :)

8 minutes ago, Warpig said:

Philistine. 

The consummate twin-engine aeroplane. Beauty, efficiency and lethality incorporated. Insta-purchase for anyone who's interested in aircraft. Eg. all of us on this forum!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Custard said:

Was it ever mentioned as planned to be part of Bodenplatte? No.

Will it make its way into the game at some point in the future? Almost definetly.

Personally I think it would be great as part of a 1943/44 Italy expansion but that's just me.

I really hope they go this route if the pacific needs more time. Italy has some of the most beautiful countryside and the planeset would be a nice gap filler for some of the american birds and we would get some sexy new Italian planes as well. 

• Upvote 1

oh man I would LOVE a Mosquito. Something about having 4 x 20mm hispano and 4 x browning .303s in the nose (assuming we do the F version) makes me all hot and sweaty. I've watched numerous videos of Mossies doing antishipping strikes at 50ft. can't wait for that!!

• Like 2

The thing that consumes resources on bombers (from my understanding anyways) is always the multiple positions that need modeling. The Mosquito does have a bigger more complex cockpit than the average fighter but it's still just one position if they model the FB.IV model. Even with a bomber variation it'd still probably be just the one position as BoX hasn't really ever done the bomb station on its own (just the sight). So that's not a bad option.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warpig said:

I'd love to see a Mosquito done in this sim. The 4K skin with all the panel lines and rivet detail would be amaz.... what? Wood? Wooden Wonder? Oh yeah. Yeah now I get it. I'm still holding out for a P-51D.... huh? :huh:

1 hour ago, [ASOR]Pharoah said:

oh man I would LOVE a Mosquito. Something about having 4 x 20mm hispano and 4 x browning .303s in the nose (assuming we do the F version) makes me all hot and sweaty. I've watched numerous videos of Mossies doing antishipping strikes at 50ft. can't wait for that!!

‘Go Big, or Go Home’ — My favorite, of course, is the incredibly rare (just 27 examples) Mosquito FB.XVIII. 4 x .303 Brownings plus the HUGE 57mm (a.k.a. ‘6 Pounder’ — probably with fries) Yes, the B-25H had a 75mm, but, it was manually loaded, whereas the British cannon had the famous Molins auto-feed, which fired a round every 1.1 seconds, so the ‘weight of shot’ was much higher than the 75mm. It was used mostly against U-Boats, but Squadron Leader Phillips macerated a Junkers 88 fighter that tried to tangle with him. What was left of the 88 — after a burst of 4 shots — fell into the Bay of Biscay.

• Like 1

I'd happily pay twice the price of the standard collector aircraft to get a mosquito.  That's partly because it's an amazing aircraft(I still remember when I saw it for the first time in Tintin: The Red Sea Sharks when I was a boy) and partly because the announced BoBp aircraft list doesn't really have much in the way of ground attack aircraft.

RedseaDeHavMosquito.png

• Upvote 2

It was very nice to see real aircraft types depicted in Tintin. I still clearly remember the Khemedi Spitfire and Bordurian Bf 109s. It certainly added a wealth of intrigue. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

The thing that consumes resources on bombers (from my understanding anyways) is always the multiple positions that need modeling. The Mosquito does have a bigger more complex cockpit than the average fighter but it's still just one position if they model the FB.IV model. Even with a bomber variation it'd still probably be just the one position as BoX hasn't really ever done the bomb station on its own (just the sight). So that's not a bad option.

Mind you, the thing people always complained about in 1946 was that there was no six view but the real mossie had a navigator in a seat set further back who was able to check six for the pilot.

MY%20006.jpg

large5.jpg

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Oh...great.

I'll have to choose between playing Star Citizen 4 and trying out the DCS Mossie. Maybe I'll let them both sit and just go see Avengers 17.

Just to clarify, you are talking about Star Citizen alpha 4 right ? ;)

If we were to get a Mosquito I’d also need a bit of English Channel to fly across. 

I want to be belting along at zero feet.  One eye on the wavetops and the other on the wing of my flight leader.  With a click on the headphones and the voice of my navigator, carefully devoid of emotion saying... “Enemy coast ahead.”

• Like 1

I was impressed with the single engine barrel roll.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Was playing some SD44 today, the Mosquito seems to be very good cover for my tanks. 4 cannons, 4 MGs, lots of bombs, and fast enough to use them all to great effect. And possibly the best looking plane of the era, along with the Hurricane.

3 hours ago, hames123 said:

Was playing some SD44 today, the Mosquito seems to be very good cover for my tanks. 4 cannons, 4 MGs, lots of bombs, and fast enough to use them all to great effect. And possibly the best looking plane of the era, along with the Hurricane.

There's a combo I never expected to see compared as best looking. The Mosquito is right up there in my mind. The Hurricane? Not so much.

The Hurri is an unusual choice - and yet I get it.

There's a flying Mosquito up here in Paul Allen's collection. I saw it fully restored last year but didn't get to see it fly. This season hopefully.

Years ago I got to see this beauty fly:

9062588207_9d0de5a7de_k.jpgMosquito profile pass

Stunning work they did to bring it up to flying condition. I hope to see it again sometime. There was a particularly memorable pass where this Mosquito flew next to the Lancaster, Hurricane and Spitfire. There were a lot of Merlin engines in the air that day!

Edited by ShamrockOneFive
  • Upvote 4

Beautiful shot.

• Thanks 1

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 7:32 AM, 56RAF_Roblex said:

Mind you, the thing people always complained about in 1946 was that there was no six view but the real mossie had a navigator in a seat set further back who was able to check six for the pilot.

My grandfather was the navigator in a Mosquito FB.VI for 613 squadron from 1944 - 1945, so that would have been his job. I would also like to see this model introduced at some point in the future, if at all possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pfft, i raise your Mosquito to a Hornet.

Sure it didn't fly operationally in WW2, and would be of no use historically, but it's one of the most beautiful prop planes ever made, and with incredible performance to match. 

A lightweight single seater, contra rotating props Mosquito on steriods.

I dream of someday, someone resurrecting one to flying condition, but almost certain never to happen.

Edited by DD_fruitbat

4 hours ago, DD_fruitbat said:

Pfft, i raise your Mosquito to a Hornet.

Sure it didn't fly operationally in WW2, and would be of no use historically, but it's one of the most beautiful prop planes ever made, and with incredible performance to match. 

A lightweight single seater, contra rotating props Mosquito on steriods.

I dream of someday, someone resurrecting one to flying condition, but almost certain never to happen.

Merry Christmas ;)

As for the Mossie, I wouldn't object although I feel the Typhoon would be a better fit, and I can't help but wonder if they did make the Typhoon then the devs could base their work on what they'll do for the Tempest.

• Like 1

On 03/05/2018 at 6:14 PM, -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor said:

I really hope they go this route if the pacific needs more time. Italy has some of the most beautiful countryside and the planeset would be a nice gap filler for some of the american birds and we would get some sexy new Italian planes as well. 

Seconded!

Since we would already have most of the planes used in that time frame,  perhaps demanding only a little work, a Bo"Italy"  would probably be something easy to implement. Dear Lord,  the map alone would justify buying it,  even if there were few newer planes!

2 hours ago, HBPencil said:

Merry Christmas ;)

As for the Mossie, I wouldn't object although I feel the Typhoon would be a better fit, and I can't help but wonder if they did make the Typhoon then the devs could base their work on what they'll do for the Tempest.

From what Ive heard (I cant remember where) the devs said theyd probably be able to make the Typhoon without too much trouble as the Tempest is closely related.

45 minutes ago, Lemsip said:

From what Ive heard (I cant remember where) the devs said theyd probably be able to make the Typhoon without too much trouble as the Tempest is closely related.

It does make sense from two standpoints. The Typhoon is closely related to the Tempest and especially so for the Typhoons operating during the Bodenplatte Operation as they updated the tail section to that of the Tempest. The cockpits were extremely similar as well with the same bubble canopy and four bladed propeller.

There's also the fact that there were dozens of Typhoon squadrons in the 2nd TAF doing lots of close air support work.

Mosquito or Typhoon... I'd be a day one buy for me.

• Upvote 1

Mosquito and Typhoon. Can be a British collector plane pack. Or one might say it is just the British essential plane pack, since the two are iconic and very important.

56 minutes ago, hames123 said:

Mosquito and Typhoon. Can be a British collector plane pack. Or one might say it is just the British essential plane pack, since the two are iconic and very important.

Why would anyone want a Tiffy when you have a Tempest ? 

I see very little to recommend it and while it might have been unusual for the Tempest to be equipped with rockets (RP-3's) it wasn't unheard of.  If the Tempest had a rocket firing load out I would be very surprised if many people would be tempted to splash out for a Typhoon as well, an aircraft that essentially only offers much of the same but in a lower performing and less reliable package than it's bigger, nastier sibling.

Simply because no everyone wants to fly the fastest, best plane? I mean, people fly the He 111 and there are Ju 88s in game. The Typhoon was very common, and should at least be in as ground attack planes roving the front lines for targets, which it did in much larger numbers than the Tempest.

Pie in the sky as it is, and biased though I undoubtedly am, a British collector plane pack would certainly have me reaching for my wallet. Hurricane, Typhoon, Mossie & a Lysander for $60? Sign me up!

Edited by Diggun
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

More rockets!

image.thumb.png.943d20ef257cd279307d2d4dda90cf36.png

5 hours ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

4 hours ago, hames123 said:

Simply because no everyone wants to fly the fastest, best plane? I mean, people fly the He 111 and there are Ju 88s in game. The Typhoon was very common, and should at least be in as ground attack planes roving the front lines for targets, which it did in much larger numbers than the Tempest.

Also the possibility to recreate earlier match ups with the Typhoon vs Fw 190 A-5 and Bf 109 G-6 for example.

The Typhoon just looks meaner to me, with the protuding quad 20mm cannons ^^ And at low altitudes it looks like it would be able to hold up better against other fighters than the P-47, so that could give it a preference when deciding which plane to take for ground attack.

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard
  • Upvote 1