Is il-2 1946 worth it still?

idk, ...you might be right on that - I don't play Dgen campaigns, only DCG and a little bit of scripted campaigns (and I notice right now my IL2DCG 3.50b2 is having problems letting go! lol (not allowing restore to Dgen)).

4 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

Why on earth would you want to play 4.14.

'cause of DGen 3.0. It has 2 interesting scripted campaigns added. Also, some planes got updated 3d models starting from 4.13. I have several installations with different versions and I enjoy them all. 

Edited by Arthur-A

Jon, now that I got Dgen properly restored (DCG swapping problem sorted out), hmmm...idk what to tell you. Lot's of stuff works for me (I always enable full views and icons when testing campaigns and look for issues besides the logs when testing). I know you are interested in USAAF Europe. I have a "9th AF" Dgen campaign set that all seems to work fine (all '44-'45 campaigns tho), (BOE) - P-47, (BOE) - P-51, (BOE) - P-38 all seem fine too. I also have USAAF figher/fighterbomer/bomber Channel Front campaigns and they all seem fine too - in addition to the Dgen pacific stuff. Encountered issues with (BOE) RAF campaigns and (NWE) RAF campaigns, though Boelckes seems fine. There is also Lowengrin's DCG campaigns that come with the stock DCG program - there are a number of European campaigns with that and they all seem good to go for me in BAT as well - no issues found yet.

So yup, obviously my 4.12 wasn't bare bones stock when I put on BAT (I had it filed away on a portable HD) as it included Battle Over Europe (BOE) and Boelckes campaigns, etc. - but seems I have far more that work with BAT than don't - though Dgen isn't my thing vs DCG.

...so idk (????).

On 4/24/2019 at 10:55 AM, Arthur-A said:

'cause of DGen 3.0. It has 2 interesting scripted campaigns added. Also, some planes got updated 3d models starting from 4.13. I have several installations with different versions and I enjoy them all. 

The stock game is hard to look at.

9 hours ago, Redwo1f said:

Jon, now that I got Dgen properly restored (DCG swapping problem sorted out), hmmm...idk what to tell you. Lot's of stuff works for me (I always enable full views and icons when testing campaigns and look for issues besides the logs when testing). I know you are interested in USAAF Europe. I have a "9th AF" Dgen campaign set that all seems to work fine (all '44-'45 campaigns tho), (BOE) - P-47, (BOE) - P-51, (BOE) - P-38 all seem fine too. I also have USAAF figher/fighterbomer/bomber Channel Front campaigns and they all seem fine too - in addition to the Dgen pacific stuff. Encountered issues with (BOE) RAF campaigns and (NWE) RAF campaigns, though Boelckes seems fine. There is also Lowengrin's DCG campaigns that come with the stock DCG program - there are a number of European campaigns with that and they all seem good to go for me in BAT as well - no issues found yet.

So yup, obviously my 4.12 wasn't bare bones stock when I put on BAT (I had it filed away on a portable HD) as it included Battle Over Europe (BOE) and Boelckes campaigns, etc. - but seems I have far more that work with BAT than don't - though Dgen isn't my thing vs DCG.

...so idk (????).

Yeah I can't figure out how to put those dgen campaigns into bat without breaking the install.

DCG is alright, but it only has a few planes to choose from. All I know is VP mod just works and comes loaded with all the greatest hits dgens, tons of content to fly in. Just wish I could get some scripted campaigns working. Everything is broken.

Edited by JonRedcorn
  • Upvote 1

well for me, the dgen stuff was already there prior to BAT - but it shouldn't be an issue. All dgen campaigns that call upon stock assets should all work fine with BAT. As to only a few planes to choose for DCG - huh? there are tonnes of planes to choose. It depends upon the campaign creator, the service, and the squad you choose --or you can even get "creative" if you want and change your squad's plane into whatever you want as long as it is in the DCG files. 

I feel for you and understand your frustration. I have had issues with things not working as they should - and it can take a while to figure them out (often I made silly mistake) - my DCG battle of France wasn't working for example...now it is again - I don't know why???? LOL. There are many many small things that can cause a campaign to not work -- and it's actually compounded with mods (the drawbacks of mods). Idk, maybe start small - decide what are the minimums you want from the sim and campaigns and do your best to get things to that level and extend further from there afterward. For me, I just stay with DCG primarily and have learned the majority of the things that make it( or campaign) not work. And have got my essential DCG campaigns rolling on fine.

But yes, it can be frustrating as heck though - sometimes more isn't more...but can be less.  There is so freak'n much for the game, so many mods, mod packs, add-ons, etc, etc.  This works with that, but doesn't work with this...this works only with that adjusted or added...this works if you stand on your head while singing Elmo Loves You, lol...

1 hour ago, JonRedcorn said:

The stock game is hard to look at

That's for sure. I keep 4.14 so that I'll install DGen Pack 3.0 on top of it when it comes out.

1 hour ago, Redwo1f said:

well for me, the dgen stuff was already there prior to BAT - but it shouldn't be an issue. All dgen campaigns that call upon stock assets should all work fine with BAT. As to only a few planes to choose for DCG - huh? there are tonnes of planes to choose. It depends upon the campaign creator, the service, and the squad you choose --or you can even get "creative" if you want and change your squad's plane into whatever you want as long as it is in the DCG files. 

I feel for you and understand your frustration. I have had issues with things not working as they should - and it can take a while to figure them out (often I made silly mistake) - my DCG battle of France wasn't working for example...now it is again - I don't know why???? LOL. There are many many small things that can cause a campaign to not work -- and it's actually compounded with mods (the drawbacks of mods). Idk, maybe start small - decide what are the minimums you want from the sim and campaigns and do your best to get things to that level and extend further from there afterward. For me, I just stay with DCG primarily and have learned the majority of the things that make it( or campaign) not work. And have got my essential DCG campaigns rolling on fine.

But yes, it can be frustrating as heck though - sometimes more isn't more...but can be less.  There is so freak'n much for the game, so many mods, mod packs, add-ons, etc, etc.  This works with that, but doesn't work with this...this works only with that adjusted or added...this works if you stand on your head while singing Elmo Loves You, lol...

Most of the older campaigns are broken, trust me I've been trying to fly them for weeks, I don't much care for the pacific, nor campaigns like the battle of france, gazala, things like that. There's like no USAAF campaigns. You can't just put whatever planes you want into DCG unless you make your own campaign from what I gathered. Like all the new planes in BAT and VP don't get used by DCG unless its a campaign made for it. There's a tool you can use or something but I can't figure it out.

VP has tons of DGEN stuff. The file structures are different between bat and VP. I've tried moving dgens to bat they don't work for me. Hell I just downloaded the big bolded dawn of flight campaigns by monty off SAS and they broke my DOF install portion of BAT and they are only 2 years old.

VP works fine. The flight models are just terrible. And honestly the more you play the more annoying the AI becomes, doing ufo maneuvers constantly dropping on your six like nothing. I like it for having some off the beat fun, but it's terrible flight modeling, pain in the ass modding and pretty much dead community is starting to drag on me. It'd be so nice if the AI in box was even half as good at following orders and carrying out missions. Hell it'd be great just to have orders to even give in box.

7 minutes ago, Arthur-A said:

That's for sure. I keep 4.14 so that I'll install DGen Pack 3.0 on top of it when it comes out.

What's even in that dgen pack that's the only one I haven't tried, seems like it's all in russian so I haven't tried it yet. VP mod with those cockpit mods that smooth them out is definitely a great looking game though.

Edited by JonRedcorn
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

What's even in that dgen pack that's the only one I haven't tried, seems like it's all in russian so I haven't tried it yet.

Basically it's a huge compilation of various mods from Aviaskins, SAS and Patrulla Azul that are adapted for 4.13.4 version (currently) plus modified DGen generator that's being developed by Asura himself. It's pretty much similar to DCG and there are a lot of campaigns made for it on Mission4today. The pack also comes with various DGen campaigns that are made by Motörhead. Currently it has complete Pacific campaigns set for USAAF, USN and USMC as well as for IJN and IJA. He's also working on Battle of France (almost finished), War over Europe(Currently has BoF, BoB till 42 Channel episodes), Mediterranean, Battle of Moscow, Arctic Circle, etc. There are a lot of cool stuff.

Well sorry you are having troubles Jon.

- experienced DCG user here - yes you can. You can use DCG squad editor to change any squad's aircraft if you wish. If you have the aircraft in the game and you have it listed in the DCG class files, then it is fair game to make those changes if you wish. ...and I don't know if you noticed, but Lowengrin has a bunch of European campaigns that come stock with the DCG program (not even needing third party campaign download -- eg. ardennes44, berlin, france44, germany44, italy43, normandy41, normandy42, normandy44, westgermany45, etc. etc, in additon to pacific and med stuff). 

17 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

VP works fine. The flight models are just terrible.

Could you please elaborate on that? Is VP's FM that different from the one in BAT? I did notice some difference between 4.12 and 4.13 FMs.

12 minutes ago, Redwo1f said:

Well sorry you are having troubles Jon.

- experienced DCG user here - yes you can. You can use DCG squad editor to change any squad's aircraft if you wish. If you have the aircraft in the game and you have it listed in the DCG class files, then it is fair game to make those changes if you wish. ...and I don't know if you noticed, but Lowengrin has a bunch of European campaigns that come stock with the DCG program (not even needing third party campaign download -- eg. ardennes44, berlin, france44, germany44, italy43, normandy41, normandy42, normandy44, westgermany45, etc. etc, in additon to pacific and med stuff). 

The stock DCG campaigns use the stock planes, unless you know how to edit the class files and make sure all the loadouts match up with your modded planeset then it won't work. I don't know how to do any of that.

The stock campaigns are fine, they just aren't that great. They also use all the stock maps. There's some truly amazing maps like western front 44 it's massive. Channel front, ect.

I don't know how to edit classfiles and all that jazz.

BAT has a ton of really awesome planes that are really well done and look and fly amazing, but I never get to fly them. It's really disappointing. I guess I could try and figure out how to make missions. If I could get the new planes in DCG that'd be amazing, even for the stock DCG missions. The only other WW2 game worth playing in singleplayer is Wings Over the Reich, but it only has 3 flyable planes, and it's all about the BOB which I don't really care for all that much.

11 minutes ago, Arthur-A said:

Could you please elaborate on that? Is VP's FM that different from the one in BAT? I did notice some difference between 4.12 and 4.13 FMs.

VP uses the stock 4.12 flight models, not sure what it uses for the newer planes, probably whatever comes in the mod, BAT has modified FM's that are far more realistic.

Take a 109 out in bat and then VP

In BAT you can do like 400+kph at around 1.1/1.2 ata like you should be able to, in VP unless you are running that throttle at nearly max you aren't even going to move. All the planes don't move IMO with stock FM's. They all feel really slow and require high rpm and high throttle to get out of their own way. 2k hp engines shouldn't feel like a diesel electric locomotive.

If I could get all my dgens and whatnot working in BAT that's all I would play.

Edited by JonRedcorn
  • Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...

Late to the party but still an interesting question. It is well worth it. At least you can heavily mod it. Acutally you need to mod it with a big modpack. You get soundmods, oh my god do you get a beutiful sound mod with bad ass flyby sounds from tiger 33. All these new sims cant get their heads out of their butts and see whats missing in their sims. Yeah, I got a beef with the new sims lack of flyby sounds and access for the modders to do something about it. Flybys in clod, box and dcs are terrible. Sounds and inspires as much as a lawnmover will going past you. Yeah, il2 1946 modded still has a punch in it.

Edited by -47-Fritz_or_Ivan