critical_mach

I would love to see this functionality added to Il-2

Would be cool to have but I cant imagen that these hand controllers are very accurate, for flight sim use anyway  

Edited by AeroAce

I like the tactile feeling of having the stick and throttle in my hands. Would be very cool for flicking switches in some games though, but not convenient to switch between hotas and these controllers. 

I think in the near future gloves will replace the vr controllers, and I can see this lending itself better to a hybrid hotas + clicky cockpit set up.

There was a video of someone flying a helicopter in DCS using  VR gloves which I thought looked quite cool.  He was flying using his physical joystick so no issues with VR hands not being accurate or responsive enough but he could look at the switches in front or over his head and reach up and flick switches with his virtual hand.   It followed all the finger movements so you could even execute macros with a finger gesture combination.  They claimed you could dispense with physical joysticks entirely but like Herne I think I would prefer a physical joystick, at least until they develop perfect haptic feedback :-)

I can see that maybe there would be the issue of seeing your VR hands in a strange position as you are actually holding a small stick on your desktop but I don't think that is a major problem.  I also don't think many people would have much difficulty letting go of the physical joystick or throttle to flick a VR switch and putting their hand back on the invisible physical joystick or throttle blind, besides you would often use your non-dominant hand to hold the stick if you need to let go with the dominant one to operate a switch so finding the stick again is trivial.

Personally,  until they perfect all this at an affordable price I would be happy to have a cheaper glove that does little more than allow you to point and click on 'mouse-clickable' switches like the ones in DCS.   I don't actually have VR yet but I believe it will become a big part of flight sims in the same way that most people now use TrackIR and its equivalents and the ability to do away with finding the keyboard blind is essential because even the most expensive HOTAS systems cannot replicate every possible button,  especially in modern aircraft.  Even if they could it would be extremely difficult to memorise them all eg when the landing gear fails and you need to remember obscure buttons to allow manual lowering  that you have never used since programming it a year ago :-)   Of course BoX needs to add clickable cockpits at some point or all the people with VR headsets & gloves will migrate elsewhere.

While I understand that not everyone is willing/able to invest in a full cockpit setup (pedals and HOTAS with extended stick between your legs etc), my experience is that such a setup combined with VR creates a much more immersive experience than what Ultrawings offered regarding controls. With such a setup the keyboard is hardly an issue (atleast regarding IL2 BOS) because you'll likely have enough buttons to map all you need directly onto your stick and throttle.

If all you have is a stick on your desk, then I can see how Ultrawings type system could be an improvement. However my experience with Ultrawings is that your hand does tend to get a bit tired over time, and if you overdo the movements (move your hand beyond what the stick can follow through) you'll lose your virtual grip of the stick which could be quite distracting.

Flying in IL2 with the full cockpit setup felt more amazing than usual after flying in Ultrawings using only the oculus touch controllers, though. Felt a lot more like actually sitting in the cockpit rather than only looking like it, so personally I think that proper physical controls easily beat Ultrawings type touch based controls regarding immersion. Flipping switches and such using some type of gloves would indeed be rather cool though.

if i had VR id play laying down in the coach, your not constarined by a heavy screen any more so why not

3 minutes ago, raaaid said:

if i had VR id play laying down in the coach, your not constarined by a heavy screen any more so why not

I spend too much time having to look back over my shoulders for that to work.

2 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

There was a video of someone flying a helicopter in DCS using  VR gloves which I thought looked quite cool.  

Also Oculus has been working on them... as Zuckerberg showed us some time ago.

zuckglovebetter.jpg.e8a69fa39c9c3926adea32d3fa4da0b9.jpg

i wonder what theyre waiting to put a couple of cameras on or to mix virtual and real reality as pokemon go does

then you could use home made cockpits and see them with or

edit:

they could equip those gloves with small electromagnet to interact with a based electromagnet in order to give force effects

I think it'd be really difficult to fly without some kind of physical feedback. Flicking a switch without the tactile sensation would be kind of odd. It is really cool to see VR progressing so quickly though. Maybe one day I'll have a rig that can run it...by then we should have full dive haptic suits for maximum immersion lol.

I hop in when it is possible to manipulate brain directly, so it really become VR.  Or when the next gen VR will come to market, whichever comes first.

Only using gloves to fly, stick and throttle, without a feedback, i imagine would be odd. But using cloves to switch or pushing a button in VR I could imagine me to enjoy.

Edited by VesseL

Just waiting for my Schriebmann Port to be installed :-)

matrix.JPG

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

I wish i had a VR but I believe it will become a big part of flight sims in the same way that most people now use TrackIR and its equivalents and the ability to do away with finding the keyboard blind is essential because even the most expensive HOTAS systems cannot replicate every possible button,  especially in modern aircraft. Anyway excited for the new stuff and once i get my hands on the VR, which i will soon. Blokada I will try all this stuff. 

7 minutes ago, 07ronin07 said:

I wish i had a VR but I believe it will become a big part of flight sims in the same way that most people now use TrackIR and its equivalents and the ability to do away with finding the keyboard blind is essential because even the most expensive HOTAS systems cannot replicate every possible button,  especially in modern aircraft. Anyway excited for the new stuff and once i get my hands on the VR, which i will soon. Blokada I will try all this stuff. 

You must not have heard of a thing called JoytoKey. I have already a ton of buttons on my t16000 setup, add modifiers into the mix and the combinations are endless.