Bies

P-39L1 - bug/issue during pilot head movement inside the cockpit - leaning to the left and up, video included

I've noticed it's far easier to move pilot's head right than left inside Cobra's cockpit (not to rotate but to lean the head). I.e. to look at compass than to look at altimeter. I thought it was some issue with Track IR. I turned the track off and i centered the view and tried to move pilot's head left and right using keys delete/end. (To make the test more clear i decreased camera speed in options to 1%)

I've noticed i can move the head to the right - indeed - twice as fast! When i pass the center point pilot's head speed increases suddenly.

Movement to the left is much much slower than to the right and using track IR it is retarding ability to lean (not rotate) the head to the left during the flight or dogfight.

It is even hard to look at the altimeter which is partially covered by the mount of the gunsight.

Maximum movement distance to the left and right is equall.

I suppose it can have something to do with the doors on the right side, it can be some compromise to make looking outside the door faster/easier but we look outside the door many times less frequently than moving the head left and right inside the cockpit...

The issue concerns fourth and fifth picture: leaning left/right and moving up/down:

image.png.f764410f151469a3e5a6e2cb282121db.png

Closing the door do not change anything.

P-39L1 is the only aircraft i have found with this issue.

I tried to copy the default pilot's head position - with identical result.

( There is similar issue with moving the head up, starting from some point the movement become far slower, only in P-39L1  )

I placed the topic here to hear your's opinion before i'll place it in bug reports. Please check if you also have this issue.

cheers:salute:

I have recorded an issue and published on YouTube.

cobraL.png

cobraR.png

Edited by bies
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

I can confirm - head movements to the right are much quicker than to the left.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

EDIT: I have replaced my last post because I misunderstood the issue and was looking at head 'Rotation' or Yaw.

I can confirm that there is most definitely a difference in speed between Left and Right when you try to move your head sideways as in when you want to look along the Left or Right side of your planes nose (the X axis).

I think the fact that I use EDTracker instead of TrackIR makes it more obvious because in order to get that movement I have to map it to head roll ie the more I tilt my head sideways the further my head moves sideways.  To the left I have to tilt my head pretty much as far as it will comfortably go (about 30 degrees) to see the left side of the engine cowling but to the Right I can see the right side of the engine cowling with half the tilt and indeed tilting my head to the max does nothing as I am already at the maximum sideways displacement after barely 15 degrees tilt.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

On 4/29/2018 at 7:44 PM, 56RAF_Roblex said:

Just to be clear, are you talking about rotating the head sideways to look along the wings (Yaw) or moving you body sideways as when you lean sideways to look along either side of the nose?

Thx for an answer but you did't understand the problem. It has nothing to do exclusively with TrackIR, it affests all form of view controll including keys on keyboard. 

It is about  moving (leaning) the head left and right (not rotating the head) in X axis, default delete/end on the keyboard.

Try to glance at your compas (right side) it's easy and fluent.

Than try to look at your altimeter (left side) it's slow and sluggish. Whole left side is like that. 

There is a boundary in the middle of the screen, you can easily move the head to the right in X axis, but far slower, far more sluggish to the left from the center point.

The issue concerns fourth picture: leaning left/right:

image.png.18ad3c9e1693cfd131779f055e2ab28c.png

cheers:salute:

Edited by bies
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bies said:

hx for an answer but you did't understand the problem

Too slow :-P I changed my post ten minutes ago :-)

• Upvote 1

Yes, i can confirm.

To the right i can lean my virtual head easily using two different tracks, even keyboard.

To the left the head barely leans even if i'm going outside the track's camera.

I suspected something from the beggining when i flown P-39 for the first time, but i wasn't able to find the reason.

Please fix that quickly, cobra is my favourite airplane.

It's probably a matter some small mistake in a few lines of code.

;)

Green llines - leaning is fast, fluent and comfortable, like in every other airplane.

Red lines - leaning is sluggish and slow.

Orange is a centerline which changes the spead dramatically.

(yes, moving the head up is also affected, i confirm)

image.thumb.png.98ad27c8dcb7929d8cb619ddc6a72af7.png

Edited by sereme1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I can confirm, the issue is present. I have just tested Cobra and all other fighters (i didn't test bombers because of different geometry of bombers cockpits).

It can be connected with the doors. I.e. the time to lean left (half of the cockpit) is identical to the time to lean to the right (half of the cockpit + ~ a meter outside the door. It can make leaning left slow and problematic, when leaning right fast and comfortable as in other planes. It's only a teory.

When it comes to moving the head up i have no idea what can be a reason of this issue.

• Upvote 2

I have recorded an issue and published on YouTube.

Edited by bies
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I've checked yesterday, the bug is still present. All forms of head control are affected, Freetrack, TrackIR, keyboard, joystick hat  etc.

Please fix the Cobra.

• Like 1

I have checked after 3.003. The issue still exists.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately still present in 3.004.

But nice the vent in Bf-109G-14 has been corrected.

Could some of dev team state what is the reason this Cobra bug is present? Maybe it's not so easy to correct?

Edited by MicEzo

I only just started flying the p-39 and this issue is immediately apparent. It's still present in the very latest build of the game (3.006) How on earth has this gone unfixed for so long? Are we just a minority that are getting this or has there been some sort of tweak I need to do that I'm unaware of to make this issue go away.

It makes looking around the cockpit feel really weird to point where It speeding up and slowing down of camera pans just makes me not want to fly it.

Come on developers, this needs to be corrected. 😗