Sign in to follow this  
US3PG_Hubbard

I think BOS does the stall spin right!

My purpose in this post is not to denigrate COD+TF 4.00 but in praise of BOS in its great feel of flight and how it seems to handle stall into spin.  following is from post I made at another forum.

"I tried something and I of course don't know what sim game has reality better modeled. I took the 109e4 and went into a dive to get to 500kh and then pulled up to do a loop. And I pulled hard on purpose. The plane, while the nose was facing up started spinning to the right. I tried this in BOS and IL2 and this did not happen. Both could go into a spin at lesser speeds but the spinning on axis from nose to tail did not happen while the nose was up toward 12:00 and both were much more steady with the spinning behavior."

and

BOS goes into a stall into spin slower (takes more time)  and feels (to this none pilot) natural.

• Upvote 1

Uriah - I'm not a pilot either. I hope BoS has it right but don't know for certain. I'm interested, on what basis do you think that this assertion is correct? Anecdotal evidence from WW2 pilots, FM data, etc.

Let's keep replies calm please.

This seems to be the thing that most people describe.  The "feeling" of flight.  Even though it may not be absolutely 100% correct. Id give or take 2%.   But the "feeling" of what it does give you feels amazing.  Hard to describe, but its a great place to step off from.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep replies calm please.

:)

First, the so called feeling of flight IS existing in BOS of course.

Second, i think it's existing in all flight sim/games at different levels...or different %, if we could give a % feeling estimation!

Third, as to moderator advice, i won't tell wich one get my favor on a % scale  :P

In a game it is important what feels right/good.

In a sim it is important what is right.

I BoS does it correct and it also feels right -> win - win,

But priority must be to simulate it as close to reality as possible.

My purpose in this post is not to denigrate COD+TF 4.00 but in praise of BOS in its great feel of flight and how it seems to handle stall into spin.  following is from post I made at another forum.

"I tried something and I of course don't know what sim game has reality better modeled. I took the 109e4 and went into a dive to get to 500kh and then pulled up to do a loop. And I pulled hard on purpose. The plane, while the nose was facing up started spinning to the right. I tried this in BOS and IL2 and this did not happen. Both could go into a spin at lesser speeds but the spinning on axis from nose to tail did not happen while the nose was up toward 12:00 and both were much more steady with the spinning behavior."

and

BOS goes into a stall into spin slower (takes more time)  and feels (to this none pilot) natural.

Nice Post Uriah !...When I signed up for BOS,I realized "Hey Im a Spit Lover",What am I going to fly in BOS  ?...I have lots of time in COD/TF4(flying all Spits only) ! I have lots and lots of time flying IL2 46/fb/pf etc !(never in a 109).

So before early access, I decided,time to jump in a 109 in COD and Il2 to practice !.

Ive never done any stall speed or any other tests so I cant provide any data on anything !

I have never flown  a BF 109(or a Spit) in RL so I cant say whats "more Real" !..I don't Know !

I only have about 20 hrs in all 109's !..Cod/Bos and il2  combined .

COD is fantastic with all the CEM on the ground whle warming up (the cockpit is vibrant and real) !....BOS 109 is not so good looking but the 109 seems to "twitch" during taxing ..Bos feels "real" on the ground

For me,(without any stats to re-enforce my view point),the feeling of lifting off in a 109 in COD,and keeping my E up,is more exciting !

On the ground,the BOS  109 feels more" natural" to handle (for me )....But what good is that in combat ?.

So far as a Non 109 flyer,CODs 109's have Smitten me !...Immersion wise !

Just my opinion,be nice lads !

• Upvote 1

hi,

i play flight sims since "Flight" came out on apple II and combat WW2 flight sims since Warbirds in 1998. And i got RL flying experience, but only with 300HP in front of me, instead having 1350 HP which is an not to underestimate fact, but BoS feels really very close to RL! So, i tested just last night the different feel of the 109s loadouts, and it feel really right. Another fact happen in the right way, the stall! Read here along: http://www.klassiker-der-luftfahrt.de/geschichte/flugzeuge/messerschmitt-bf-109-so-fliegt-die-109-automatische-steuerung-fr-motor-prop-und-khlung/533908?seite=6

cheers

dhyran

• Upvote 4

In this pilot's humble opinion the RoF/BoS engine is one of the best at simulating flight dynamics. It shares this honor only with ED's DCS series. Because every physics simulation is ultimately a compromise due to computer performance constraints, nothing will ever be 100% the real thing, but RoF/BoS gets us as close as we ever have been to what WWI and now WWII aircraft must fly like.

As far as the stall/spin handling, my ONLY complaint is that it seems difficult to do a power off stall and get the aircraft to stall straight ahead without a tendency to dip one wing. This could be the flight model or it could be my hamfisted attempts at wrangling the sensitive rudder/aileron inputs (the lack of stick force I mentioned in other threads). Based on what I know of the aircraft involved, my personal flight experience, and my knowlege of aerodynamics it APPEARS at first blush that it should be possible to stall these aircraft straight ahead in a power off stall without issue. However, I've never flown the LaGG-3 or Bf-109 in real life, so I don't know for sure if it is possible or not. I believe I read that the 109's stall characteristics were very benign, but I'm drawing from memory here.

Overall, I think the stall/spin handling is some of the best out there. It certainly is better than many sims that have come before it and in terms of its value to the sim pilot is probably as much as you could want for almost any combat scenario. While I nitpick in the previous paragraph, I doubt if most people will ever notice what I mentioned or be aware that it is inaccurate(?).

• Upvote 1

What I find so odd about COD is the the spinning on axis from nose to tail while pointing up at 12:00 or nearly 12:00.  I can see a plane slowing down and then then falling to one side or the other.  But to start spinning while facing 12:00 high seems odd to me.  I have seen this in acrobatic planes but I think the pilots were doing that on purpose for show.

This pilot only did one turn while facing 12:00 high at first and then later does some more at frame 1.17.  My point is that the COB 109s do this when you don't want it to but the pilot in the video is just showing what I am talking about and I believe he is doing it on purpose.  I don't think this would happen unless a pilot was doing it on purpose.  It does not happen in BOS unless you deliberately make it so.  And I think that is the way it should be.