Hi,

I just got this game and after launching it and sitting in the cockpit for a couple of minutes, I realized that I have no idea what to do.  All I know is I must fly and shoot other planes down now and again.  I literally have no idea how to do that.  I have no flight sim experience at all.  Until today, I thought a spitfire was just something my girlfriend did when I was trying to play video games.  I don't mind reading to learn, but can I have a little guidance?  Jason's zip file won't open for me and I'm not sure what direction to go in.  Something like "read this" and "practice that" should be enough to get me started.  I don't even know what part of the game I should start with.

Hey there, welcome! Lots of guides and videos to be found around the forums. Folks will be along suggesting their favorites soon, be sure.

@JimTM can you copy paste that incredible summary of guides and resources I saw you post somewhat recently? I remember thinking it should be stickied, had Requiem's vids, Chuck's guide, etc etc...

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 19//curiousGamblerr said:

Hey there, welcome! Lots of guides and videos to be found around the forums. Folks will be along suggesting their favorites soon, be sure.

@JimTM can you copy paste that incredible summary of guides and resources I saw you post somewhat recently? I remember thinking it should be stickied, had Requiem's vids, Chuck's guide, etc etc...

I'll link to my summary so I can update it down the road:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/35944-new-user-what-next/?do=findComment&comment=605589

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, JimTM said:

I'll link to my summary so I can update it down the road:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/35944-new-user-what-next/?do=findComment&comment=605589

That's the one! Beautiful. Glad my failed attempt at a "mention" still got your attention somehow! I do think you're the most helpful person I've ever met on a forum Jim.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, 19//curiousGamblerr said:

That's the one! Beautiful. Glad my failed attempt at a "mention" still got your attention somehow! I do think you're the most helpful person I've ever met on a forum Jim.

Thanks cG! I'm in good company with the other helpful people on this forum, many whose work I linked to in my summary.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys.  I found the requiem video series helpful.  These were cool combat tips that I never would have thought of on my own.  How about the best way to approach the game itself?  What's the best way to practice?  Just play and have fun?  Maybe solo, I should practice barrel rolls and the other maneuvers I just learned?  Should I run certain missions / scenerios?  Would you advise first trying the campaign first or just a few dog fights to get started? Is there a free play mode where I can just practice take-offs and landings?  

@testudine2002

Hello and welcome to the game :salute:

I think you will do best in learning in the way that makes the game fun and exciting for you. When I was learning how to play the game I started with taxiing on the ground, then progressed to takeoff and landing which I did a whole lot of times, maybe a hundred or so, then I began to learn different aerobatic maneuvers and that is also what I am focusing on at the moment. You can watch some of my tutorial videos on this in this link: 

I hope you will have fun in the game and that we in the future will meet each other in the virtual skies.

Best of luck :biggrin:

Henrik

• Like 2

8 hours ago, testudine2002 said:

Thanks guys.  I found the requiem video series helpful.  These were cool combat tips that I never would have thought of on my own.  How about the best way to approach the game itself?  What's the best way to practice?  Just play and have fun?  Maybe solo, I should practice barrel rolls and the other maneuvers I just learned?  Should I run certain missions / scenerios?  Would you advise first trying the campaign first or just a few dog fights to get started? Is there a free play mode where I can just practice take-offs and landings?  

This is really going to come down to how you learn things. What helped me was watching videos of those who really knew what they were doing, and then trying to mimic or build on that behavior in the game. I'm not a patient person so I used mostly the campaign and later the career mode, rather than taking the time to study each plane move by move in the quick missions (except for maybe a little takeoff and landing). However, it would be a good idea for you to practice in quick missions until you are comfortable with the plane you want to use if you have the patience to do that. It'll save you a lot of time.

I really can't overstate how helpful it is to watch videos of some of the really good players dogfighting from the in-cockpit perspective. A little bit of that motion rubs off on you and it makes a difference. The videos of "ace in a flight" multiplayer types are especially helpful if you're the sort of person who learns that way.

And probably the biggest thing for me has been using the beginner settings until I was comfortable not using them. Playing this game in expert mode is really difficult if you are new to flight sims (like I was not long ago and in many ways still am) and so I started with many of the "crutches" on and removed them one by one slowly, as I became more confident in my skills. I have only recently felt confident flying in expert mode, and only with one or two planes, and I still have oh so much to learn.

I hope I've helped a little bit. Requiem was a really great place to start, and if you follow that rabbit hole it won't lead you wrong. If you like a challenging learning experience this game is probably right up your alley.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

You guys are really helping me.  As you may have guessed, it's hard for me to just jump in and "play" a sim.  I like to read a lot, but I value this upfront guidance a lot.  Another question that I couldn't answer on my own.  I can't figure out what my joystick means by a fourth and fifth axis.  I have a red / green button on my Thrustmaster.  X and Y must by left / right and forward / back respectively.  I guess that z would be twisting it around its vertical axis.  Since I don't think my joystick goes up and down, what could the other two axes (elusive fourth and fifth) be?  There's still only three dimensions in flight sims, right :-)?

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:46 AM, HenFre said:

@testudine2002

Hello and welcome to the game :salute:

I think you will do best in learning in the way that makes the game fun and exciting for you. When I was learning how to play the game I started with taxiing on the ground, then progressed to takeoff and landing which I did a whole lot of times, maybe a hundred or so, then I began to learn different aerobatic maneuvers and that is also what I am focusing on at the moment. You can watch some of my tutorial videos on this in this link: 

I hope you will have fun in the game and that we in the future will meet each other in the virtual skies.

Best of luck :biggrin:

Henrik

Henrik,

Very cool maneuver and explanation.  I'm going to go try to learn some of your simpler lessons first and work up to this.  Is there a way to record the maneuvers to analyze later?  For instance, when I practice barrel rolls, I never really come out at the same alt and heading.  It would be nice to watch an instant replay, and break it down from different angles.  I think I saw software for this.  Is that necessary for this type of practice?

@testudine2002

Thank for the kind words :biggrin:

The way I analyze my performance is by recording (ctrl+R) the maneuvers and then watching them afterwards. You can find the recordings under Flight records in the root menu. This is not an instant replay, but you can still learn a lot about what you do right or wrong when performing the maneuvers. If you press F11 when you watch the recording you will be in the free camera mode.

It is easier to see how well the maneuver is done by turning on the Aerobatic smoke, which can be found under your planes settings tab before you start the mission. The smoke is turned on and off by pressing B.

Good luck on the Barrel roll. I hope to have a tutorial up on that maneuver in the future :salute:

Edited by HenFre
Spelling

On 4/28/2018 at 7:11 AM, testudine2002 said:

You guys are really helping me.  As you may have guessed, it's hard for me to just jump in and "play" a sim.  I like to read a lot, but I value this upfront guidance a lot.  Another question that I couldn't answer on my own.  I can't figure out what my joystick means by a fourth and fifth axis.  I have a red / green button on my Thrustmaster.  X and Y must by left / right and forward / back respectively.  I guess that z would be twisting it around its vertical axis.  Since I don't think my joystick goes up and down, what could the other two axes (elusive fourth and fifth) be?  There's still only three dimensions in flight sims, right :-)?

Okay so in joystick speak an "axis" is any control that is on a gradient instead of an on/off button. Joystick and throttle "HOTAS" setups have lots of knobs, levers, and so on that are "axis" instead of "buttons." So, depending on the joystick you will usually have "X" and "Y" for roll and pitch, and then another for the "twisty-grip rudder" (yaw). You will also probably have at least one more on the joystick itself, on the front of it, that you can use for a throttle with your off-hand if you don't have a HOTAS setup.

Also: Throttles that are separate from your joystick in HOTAS setups will have all kinds of buttons and "axis" on their own. The throttle itself will be an axis, and you could have three or four more hidden on the device. These controls are very customizable. Some of them are quite strange, like the "flippers" on the other side of certain Thrustmaster throttles that reset to 0% but can go to negative or positive ranges based on which side of the flipper you push. I think that one is supposed to be an alternative rudder system.

I hope that helped?

Edited by Sambot88
Added more
  • Thanks 1

Yes, this was helpful.  I didn't consider the flippers as an axis, but I guess they are based on this definition.  Thank you.