Air Combat Tutorials,TIR Profile, Angle Off Charts - Updated 28 October 2021

Requiem

Thanks Requiem. Your efforts are really appreciated.

Thanks oneeyeddog!  :salute:

Good luck with you course, smart to take it in the summer, I took organic chem and Cell and Molecular in the summer to isolate them and give me "time alone" with them outside of the full semester...

A track IR tips vid would be great for those not really getting the most out of it...

later.

Yeah you're not wrong there. Being able to solely focus on Genetics has been good so far. I already have both semesters of Ochem and Biochem out of the way thankfully, so just gotta take a Cell biology lab + a couple others in the Fall and I'll be graduating :) 

I haven't thought about making a video covering how to manipulating TrackIR settings, so I'd have see what could be done. If you or anyone else has any ideas about what would be needed let me know.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

StarLightSong

I think good users may have a bit of "work flow", a sky scanning technique, a method when looking over shoulder during a fly by or being tailed - or maybe not. Zoom level and button vs head moving in.

I've read that a lower resolution - say 720 is better for spotting on a good sized monitor, and then scanning with TIR makes up for the lower FOV.

For me, the head position in cockpit always feels too Low, like I want to put a pillow under the pilot, I'd like to be able to look down the nose and see fuselage- thought that the TIR could be adjusted to make that happen...

it may be that the gunsights are a bit low in the game models.

Edited by JJJudyJoYstickr

Update 19 Jun 2014:

No La-5 famil as I spent a bit more time getting the new TIR profile right. If you use it I'd appreciate any feedback good/bad as this is quite different to how my old one was. I've copied the description below, but you can find the profile itself in the first post of this thread. I hope you like it more than my old profile :)

"This is a new TIR profile from me which I've tested in in BoS, CloD, and RoF, and I'm happy that with how it performs in all three sims. The big thing I've done is the implementation of slight deadzones towards the end of head movement to avoid you moving your head far enough to get the view stuck in position at the end of its range. It's hard to describe what I mean, but it's basically a hard deadzone mixed in with a soft deadzone to make looking around feel more natural. This is basically a whole new profile across all six axes, but I'll list the changes to three of the most important axes below:

Yaw - You will notice a change in the 'yaw' axis when you look left and right. It won't take you to the full 180 degree position in-game but will actually stop at about 150 degrees, so for example when you look left to check your six oclock the view won't let you see completely out the opposite (right) side, yet it doesn't hinder your ability to check six at all. This means that the axes are limited in their range a little bit, but to me looking around in-game actually feels like it is a head instead of pivoting around a point in the cockpit. I always disliked how looking to my six would inevitably show the entire back of the cockpit which made it look flat, so I really like this change.

Pitch - Added the little deadzones, but I've made it easier to look up and down without the issue of getting stuck at the ends of TIR's range. Looking up is faster initially, but slower towards the end to make it easier to check above you and as part of a high six oclock check. Looking down is also easier so you can check the instruments you need.

X axis - Added the little deadzones and made it easier to slide left and right in the cockpit, but the deadzone on this axis is slightly larger to prevent the out of body experience you can have with the canopy open."

Edited by SYN_Requiem

Hey Requiem,

Thanks for sharing your new Trackir profile with us. The new profile I got from your download is just the vanilla profile that is at the beginning of creating a new profile with the Trackir software manager. I am looking forward to trying your new profile .

Cheers--sf--

Woops, I'm sorry about that. Thanks for pointing it out Soarfeat, I zipped the wrong bloody profile! The correct one is in the first post now (hopefully).

:salute:

Edited by SYN_Requiem

FInally tried the new Trackir profile Requiem, ---- WOW !!! ---- Great stuff !!! ---- I thought the profile I have been using for some time that I have tweaked over the years was quite good, well, this one really was much better !!!

I was surprised how well the head movement speed was with the more aggressive looking curves---really thought they may be a bit too fast for me but they were right on  !!! Also, liked the way the dead zones ended about where normal head movement would be-- ( must have taken a bit of time to tweak this so well )

Anyway, really big thanks !!!! Definitely a keeper !!!!!

Cheers--- sf----    

:salute:

I'm glad you are liking the new profile guys! Thanks for the nice testimonials  :salute:  

@ SF - There was a lot of alt tabbing, switching flight sims, and minor curve adjustments to get things right  ;)

• Upvote 1

Jade_Monkey

The previous profile worked better for me, it was more sensitive and I had to make very little effort to look behind.

I feel like the new one is slower and drags a bit, so I'm gonna stick to the older one. 

Great job anyways, we really appreciate your contributions.

The previous profile worked better for me, it was more sensitive and I had to make very little effort to look behind.

I feel like the new one is slower and drags a bit, so I'm gonna stick to the older one. 

Great job anyways, we really appreciate your contributions.

Thanks for your thoughts CBZ. I also prefer having a fast profile, so it surprises me a little you think it's too slow as I thought it was close to the same speed as my original one overall. I'll have to do a side by side comparison to check on it.

Jade_Monkey

Thanks for your thoughts CBZ. I also prefer having a fast profile, so it surprises me a little you think it's too slow as I thought it was close to the same speed as my original one overall. I'll have to do a side by side comparison to check on it.

I have to check back because it was a flat line as opposed to your previous one, so perhaps I didnt load the new one correctly.

I thought it was weird that it was so flat, having seen your previous one having a pronounced V shape.

See the attachments to see curves

post-20591-0-56051200-1403585369_thumb.png

post-20591-0-42449400-1403585378_thumb.png

Ohhh, that's a faulty one I uploaded the first time (the flat curve is the giveaway). I fixed the upload a couple of days ago and the proper one is now up, so try that one! :)

Edited by SYN_Requiem

Jade_Monkey

Ohhh, that's a faulty one I uploaded the first time (the flat curve is the giveaway). I fixed the upload a couple of days ago and the proper one is now up, so try that one! :)

So the 'V' shaped is the faulty? or the flat one? 

I downloaded the one that says June fron the first post on this thread and its the flat one. Is there a newer version somewhere in the thread?

The flat one is faulty and shouldn't be available for downloading anymore. I removed it and replaced it with a different one in the same spot on the first post. The curves should look somewhat like this:

post-174-0-68398100-1403642880_thumb.png

Edited by SYN_Requiem

pilotpierre

Good one again Requiem. I was happy with your previous one but his latest one is even better. Thanks for your continued efforts in enhancing BoS

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the vids mate!  Very helpful info on how to not blow my engine!  Two questions: 1) Are any Combat vids coming out? and 2) Were you the guy who shot me down today and then told me to watch your videos?

Thanks for the vids mate!  Very helpful info on how to not blow my engine!  Two questions: 1) Are any Combat vids coming out? and 2) Were you the guy who shot me down today and then told me to watch your videos?

No worries BeachedWhale :salute:  To answer your questions:

1) Combat related videos will start coming out once the external free camera is enabled by the developers. Right now it's pointless for me to make combat videos because I can't illustrate the spatial geometry behind how aircraft maneuver against each other with the cameras we currently have active.

2) No, that wasn't not me. I rarely tell people to watch my videos and if I do it's usually because they're asking a lot of questions of me in chat while I'm trying to fly, so instead of having to type out a bunch of long winded responses I can just point them in the right direction then.

Edited by SYN_Requiem

It was me m8. I was flying with Req.

This is the link to some great flying.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/3882-video-mkmrx/

Here is the take home from a few that I watched.

First, he uses the vertical effectively and doesn't generally give up altitude unnecessarily - a mistake I see a lot.

In the merge, he goes vertical.

Textbook energy management.

Second, when he has a snapshot he makes it count, and that's something you can't teach someone.

He shoots like I used to back in the old IL2 - and trying presently to get that back.

I don't have the time to fly that I used to though.

Nice job X.

Requiem, since I end to shot down more friendlies than foes at the Expert servers, anything like a tutorial on how to glimpse the right aircraft around you will be great!

Please!!!!!!!!

Scanning technique is one of those WIP videos right now. For actually knowing the silhouettes Winger posted this link which is very nice: http://www.hnsa.org/doc/id/fm30-30-air/index.htm I believe he has also made up some pictures but I don't have the link for that. It sounds like a good idea to make a video showing the silhouettes of aircraft in BoS at different distances/aspects once they are all in the game though, so I'll keep it in mind.

Update today: Updated the new control assignments to the G940 Package to include Firing Rockets, Dropping bombs, Rocket fire mode toggle, Stuka siren, and the gunsight filter option.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

SweetFX/FlightFX breaks my game every time whether it is active or not. The game window will not open. Has anyone had a similar issue? I have tried twice and had to reinstall both times to get BoS working again.

SweetFX/FlightFX breaks my game every time whether it is active or not. The game window will not open. Has anyone had a similar issue? I have tried twice and had to reinstall both times to get BoS working again.

I did have that problem, but then I made sure other overlays were turned off, such as those some teamspeak plugins use, and it went back to normal.

As well as being pinned here in General Discussions I really feel more people would benefit from these excellent Tutorials if at least a link if not a "proper post" was put in the Tutorials and manuals section

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/82-tutorials-and-manuals/

As more newcomers arrive to BoS it seems the easiest place they would first look :)

Thanks for all the hard work

Cheers Dakpilot

As well as being pinned here in General Discussions I really feel more people would benefit from these excellent Tutorials if at least a link if not a "proper post" was put in the Tutorials and manuals section

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/82-tutorials-and-manuals/

As more newcomers arrive to BoS it seems the easiest place they would first look :)

Thanks for all the hard work

Cheers Dakpilot

Yeah fair enough. I don't want to make individual threads for every video I make though, otherwise over time I would end up needing my own subforum in the tutorial section  :lol: Maybe a mod can move this thread to that forum then instead if people think it belongs there as I don't want to be updating multiple threads either.

• 2 weeks later...

Released a video a couple of days ago covering how the camera view modes work in BoS, which is aimed towards new players as I'm sure most people here know what to do regarding those. Additionally, I'll be working  releasing a new G940 control package as well with the new patch.

I don't see a difference between SweetFX on/off. May someone could explain it to me?

Look at the screenshots carefully in the first post and you will see the colours, brightness, and contrast all tweaked differently under SweetFX.

Edited by SYN_Requiem

Many thanks for this Requiem, your timing was very good for me, as I had just assigned the supercharger to my joystick and was trying to learn proper way to use it in the Yak 1.

All of your efforts are very much appreciated!

I have been using your original 6DOF Track IR profile you had originally developed for ROF some time ago, going to give your new one here a try as well.

Thank you , i arrive from BMS and DCS world ,

WWII planes ; i have to understand them  , so again thanks for your time to do the tutorials.

No worries guys... Very glad to hear you're another happy user of the TIR profile dburnette!

As a minor update: I've started my graduating semester at Uni today, so I won't have as much time of course, but I've been working on the Fw 190 famil that a bunch of people have me asked for since it was added (I held off on filming as I was guessing 3D model / FM changes would be occuring due to the strong community feedback). Fingers crossed I can get it finished to release on Friday. I just need to do the voiceover, sync it up and it should be good to go. That is always easier said than done though...

• Requiem changed the title to Air Combat Tutorials,TIR Profile, Angle Off Charts - Updated 28 October 2021