Air Combat Tutorials,TIR Profile, Angle Off Charts - Updated 28 October 2021

Requiem

Guys, thanks for your help I will take a look, I have added you on discord now which has helped me a lot more!

one of the members on there has kindly given me a new profile so will try all of these.

thanks for bettering my gaming experience!

Royal  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I'm really sorry if my difficulty has already been dealt with in the forum, but I'd be grateful for some advice. It may be that I just need to be patient. 

I'm 66. The last flight sim I played seriously was "Flight of The Intruder". Yep - ancient!

But, after that long break (and a small brain injury affecting cognition) there's something very different from my previous experience. 

Basically I just can't see the opposing planes. One minute they're marked by the red peardrop, and then, sometimes (if I'm lucky) a plane flies right in front of my cockpit. I have no idea where it came from, or where it went. In short, I hardly ever see a plane "in the flesh" 

I have TrackIr 5 and its working a treat. 

It's all very strange. It feels like I'm almost flying around on my own. 

Thanks in advance for any advice. And if the advice is "practice more" , or "just keep at it", that's fine too. 

Many thanks. Martin

27 minutes ago, martxyz said:

I'm really sorry if my difficulty has already been dealt with in the forum, but I'd be grateful for some advice. It may be that I just need to be patient. 

I'm 66. The last flight sim I played seriously was "Flight of The Intruder". Yep - ancient!

But, after that long break (and a small brain injury affecting cognition) there's something very different from my previous experience. 

Basically I just can't see the opposing planes. One minute they're marked by the red peardrop, and then, sometimes (if I'm lucky) a plane flies right in front of my cockpit. I have no idea where it came from, or where it went. In short, I hardly ever see a plane "in the flesh" 

I have TrackIr 5 and its working a treat. 

It's all very strange. It feels like I'm almost flying around on my own. 

Thanks in advance for any advice. And if the advice is "practice more" , or "just keep at it", that's fine too. 

Many thanks. Martin

There are several topics already about spotting and it got improved a lot in the previous update before the last one.

That doesn't take away that spotting from a plane in general is a thing that needs practice.

Like in real life, most of the times you get shot down it is by an enemy that you didn't see.

Seeing your enemy first is like in real life the most important thing in air combat.

You should be checking your six constantly.

Not flying alone but joining a squad and as such communicating with them via a chat program is also very helpful.

Keep practicing, I'm actually not good at it myself as I get bounced so often.

Have a nice day.

:salute: 

Edited by FlyingShark
  • Upvote 1

Many thanks, that really is helpful. Thanks for telling me of your own experience. I'll also go looking for topics on spotting. 

Thankfully I also have modest aims. 

All the best 🙂

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

New video for the new year comparing the P-51 and Fw 190 D-9.

• Like 4

Bert_Foster

Nice vid. How did you extract the excess Power values (Ps=0) to draw the sustained G on the Fan plots ?

Edited by Bert_Foster
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bert_Foster said:

Nice vid. How did you extract the excess Power values (Ps=0) to draw the sustained G on the Fan plots ?

@Floppy_Sock and I worked together to make them. When I first started this process I created an excel spreadsheet which via some math generates the EM template (Turn rate vs airspeed vs G-force vs turn radius), but when testing the airplanes you collect the data to input into the spreadsheet where it will then generate the full diagram you see in the video. Initially I was relying on timed turns to calculate/extrapolate the data I needed (which brings its own inaccuracies). Thankfully Floppysock programmed an application which takes the telemetry output from Il-2 and converts it into the data needed to make the EM Diagrams very accurate, so as long as the program is running if you're flight testing is accurate (constant airspeed/altitude during the turn) then the data will be too.

The cool thing is that telemetry still outputs with recorded tracks, so I'd like to have the community's help testing various airplanes at some point and then submit the tracks to us so we can input that data and create something where anyone can compare any airplane against the other if they want to.

• Like 2

Bert_Foster

Requiem Check PM's

Edited by Bert_Foster
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

New video is out covering a dive bombing technique used in the Spitfire Mk.IX. It's made using DCS for something different but the technique still applies to Il-2.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

• Requiem changed the title to Air Combat Tutorials,TIR Profile, Angle Off Charts - Updated 12 Feb 2021
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Requiem changed the title to Air Combat Tutorials,TIR Profile, Angle Off Charts - Updated 26 Feb 2021
  • 4 weeks later...
I./JG52_Woutwocampe

@Requiem

Love your channel. Helpful is an understatement here. Keep up the awesome work!

• Thanks 1

I./JG52_Woutwocampe

@Requiem

Have you made a video about taxiing, how to handle rpm/prop pitch on the ground etc etc? I browsed your yt page and I've seen vids about specifics like wind effect on taxiing but not a vid about the basics.

I really need to improve that aspect.

Raptorattacker
3 hours ago, I./JG52_Woutwocampe said:

I would say that there's really no 'quick-fix'. It really is just about practicing.

I./JG52_Woutwocampe
3 hours ago, Raptorattacker said:

I would say that there's really no 'quick-fix'. It really is just about practicing.

Practicing is the key for most things in this sim, heck its true for most things in life but doing so without knowing the fundamentals can lead to long term bad habits.

Requiem
On 3/29/2021 at 11:58 PM, I./JG52_Woutwocampe said:

@Requiem

Have you made a video about taxiing, how to handle rpm/prop pitch on the ground etc etc? I browsed your yt page and I've seen vids about specifics like wind effect on taxiing but not a vid about the basics.

This is about as basic as it gets. It's the video after wind effects. For RPM just keep it at maximum while taxiing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
sturmkraehe
On 4/19/2020 at 8:03 PM, Requiem said:

Hey there,

I stopped using the G940 a long time ago so I got rid of the profile and don't have it anymore. I can't remember much about it anymore, sorry.

This is very interesting. Great video! Highly instructive.

Anyone has a similar EM chart for the Spitties?

sturmkraehe

Requiem,

I really learned a lot from your Spit9 vs K4 clip! Awesome.

Could you do a similar one for the spit14 vs K4? Maybe by taking into account the specific g limits as implemented? It looks like in the Spit14 one blacks out at something around 5.2 but don't know about the K4. 

Requiem
On 5/8/2021 at 6:00 PM, sturmkraehe said:

Requiem,

I really learned a lot from your Spit9 vs K4 clip! Awesome.

Could you do a similar one for the spit14 vs K4? Maybe by taking into account the specific g limits as implemented? It looks like in the Spit14 one blacks out at something around 5.2 but don't know about the K4. 

If I do another one I won't use an airplane I've used before so I can provide fresh data. I need to get back to testing these aircraft again so I can make some more EM diagrams.

• Upvote 1

174Sqn_Brannon

Hi Requiem,

Do you plan on a tutorial video for the Spitfire Mk. XIV by chance ?  Thanks in advance !

~S~

Requiem
14 hours ago, 174Sqn_Brannon said:

Hi Requiem,

Do you plan on a tutorial video for the Spitfire Mk. XIV by chance ?  Thanks in advance !

~S~

Hey Brannon, yep I've done it already. Should be public with a few days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Requiem

New video out today showing how to use the AA Truck vehicle. This thing takes practice...

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

• Requiem changed the title to Air Combat Tutorials,TIR Profile, Angle Off Charts - Updated 14 May 2021
Requiem

New video out today covering the Spitfire Mk. XIV

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

• Requiem changed the title to Air Combat Tutorials,TIR Profile, Angle Off Charts - Updated 18 May 2021
  • 2 weeks later...
Requiem

New stuff covering the DCS P-47. It uses the cockpit workflows PDF I've made to let you operate the airplane (download link in video description).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• Requiem changed the title to Air Combat Tutorials,TIR Profile, Angle Off Charts - Updated 1 June 2021
Requiem
Posted (edited)

Next one covering takeoff through shutdown using the flows, so the links to this video in the PDF workflows document are now unlocked. Weapons videos to follow after Typhoon stuff...

Edited by Requiem
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• Requiem changed the title to Air Combat Tutorials,TIR Profile, Angle Off Charts - Updated 4 June 2021
  • 2 weeks later...
Requiem

Learn to Fly for the Typhoon is out. Rockets / Bombing in it is on the way also.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

• Requiem changed the title to Air Combat Tutorials,TIR Profile, Angle Off Charts - Updated 13 June 2021
RedKestrel
25 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Learn to Fly for the Typhoon is out. Rockets / Bombing in it is on the way also.

Great stuff! Found out there's a better way to take off in the Tiffie and I have been landing her WAY too fast! Really looking forward to the rocket and bomb deployment video!

• Thanks 1

Trooper117

Great tutorial as usual  :salute:

Pity the Sabre engine sound is so off the mark  :negative:

Requiem
On 6/13/2021 at 10:45 AM, Trooper117 said:

Great tutorial as usual  :salute:

Pity the Sabre engine sound is so off the mark  :negative:

Yeah I don't get it with that engine. It just sounds so anemic as if it were a Cessna 172 or something. I would expect it to have some more bass to the sound. I hope it can get reworked.

Requiem

New video out the other day covering "Turnip Bombing" If anyone knows why it's called Turnip bombing I'm all ears. I have a guess but it's probably not right lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Requiem changed the title to Air Combat Tutorials,TIR Profile, Angle Off Charts - Updated 21 June 2021
Trooper117
7 hours ago, Requiem said:

If anyone knows why it's called Turnip bombing I'm all ears.

It's because they were flown by turnips... be sure!  🙈

RedKestrel
13 hours ago, Requiem said:

New video out the other day covering "Turnip Bombing" If anyone knows why it's called Turnip bombing I'm all ears. I have a guess but it's probably not right lol

It's called Turnip Bombing because "Rutabaga Bombing" just doesn't have that nice ring to it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Requiem changed the title to Air Combat Tutorials,TIR Profile, Angle Off Charts - Updated 11 July 2021

Thanks! I've been using 1.5 degrees on the dial with fairly good success, but occasionally I come in too steep, and that causes me to sideslip too much.

Have you found any rocket-firing tactics that work well with the other gunsight? From what I have read, that sight was probably the more common one on the Typhoon, so it makes me wonder how they employed it. 

Requiem
20 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Thanks! I've been using 1.5 degrees on the dial with fairly good success, but occasionally I come in too steep, and that causes me to sideslip too much.

Have you found any rocket-firing tactics that work well with the other gunsight? From what I have read, that sight was probably the more common one on the Typhoon, so it makes me wonder how they employed it. 

To avoid using the lead created using that adustable sight you would have to come in steeper...I haven't tested it, but if you try lining up the target halfway between the inboard cannon and fuselage that may be a starting point to give you that steeper angle.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
I./JG52_Woutwocampe

Hello @Requiem, hope you are doing well.

I see the trackir profile from oct 2019 is no longer available? I tried to configure my trackir 5 by watching your video. I have a weird behavior when I look upper left or right, when I look at 10 oclock high or 2 oclock high for instance. It buzzes and goes random for a split second then comes back to normal as soon as I slightly move. I'm not sure if its my profile or the trackclip position in relation to the camera. The green led on the cam does blink when it happens so I tend to think is the later.

Thanks

352nd_Hoss
1 hour ago, I./JG52_Woutwocampe said:

Hello @Requiem, hope you are doing well.

I see the trackir profile from oct 2019 is no longer available? I tried to configure my trackir 5 by watching your video. I have a weird behavior when I look upper left or right, when I look at 10 oclock high or 2 oclock high for instance. It buzzes and goes random for a split second then comes back to normal as soon as I slightly move. I'm not sure if its my profile or the trackclip position in relation to the camera. The green led on the cam does blink when it happens so I tend to think is the later.

Thanks

When you start TIR on the upper right corner is the "Camera" which shows your clip points as they relate to the center of the grid, below that is your Left/Top/Front head views.  Look and see if you see any RED points instead of the three green ones from your clip.  If you do then you have stray light being seen by the camera on your monitor.  I get that once in awhile if any of the shades in my office/cave are not closed.  When a car passes on the road (country road) it's reflections from the sun make my camera and view jump. So needless to say I have to get up and pull down the blinds.  On the left had side you have the three tabs Profiles/Titles/Camera.  In the camera tab you can change some of your sensitivities if push comes to shove, I have not had to resort to that yet though.  I will send you my profile for IL2, there is a readme file in there that will tell you where to "Stick the file" and what settings to change in the gui menu's. 

Cheers

Hoss

https://www.mediafire.com/file/pp71b7d5rdwyiyg/Track_IR_Profile.zip/file

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I./JG52_Woutwocampe

Cheers @352nd_Hoss. I think I fixed my issues. My yaw and pitch settings needed tweaking. But I'll still download your profile and try it, compare it to mine to see if I feel my comfortable with it. Thanks.

• Requiem changed the title to Air Combat Tutorials,TIR Profile, Angle Off Charts - Updated 28 October 2021