Air Combat Tutorials,TIR Profile, Angle Off Charts - Updated 26 Feb 2021

Guys, thanks for your help I will take a look, I have added you on discord now which has helped me a lot more!

one of the members on there has kindly given me a new profile so will try all of these.

thanks for bettering my gaming experience!

Royal  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

I'm really sorry if my difficulty has already been dealt with in the forum, but I'd be grateful for some advice. It may be that I just need to be patient. 

I'm 66. The last flight sim I played seriously was "Flight of The Intruder". Yep - ancient!

But, after that long break (and a small brain injury affecting cognition) there's something very different from my previous experience. 

Basically I just can't see the opposing planes. One minute they're marked by the red peardrop, and then, sometimes (if I'm lucky) a plane flies right in front of my cockpit. I have no idea where it came from, or where it went. In short, I hardly ever see a plane "in the flesh" 

I have TrackIr 5 and its working a treat. 

It's all very strange. It feels like I'm almost flying around on my own. 

Thanks in advance for any advice. And if the advice is "practice more" , or "just keep at it", that's fine too. 

Many thanks. Martin

27 minutes ago, martxyz said:

I'm really sorry if my difficulty has already been dealt with in the forum, but I'd be grateful for some advice. It may be that I just need to be patient. 

I'm 66. The last flight sim I played seriously was "Flight of The Intruder". Yep - ancient!

But, after that long break (and a small brain injury affecting cognition) there's something very different from my previous experience. 

Basically I just can't see the opposing planes. One minute they're marked by the red peardrop, and then, sometimes (if I'm lucky) a plane flies right in front of my cockpit. I have no idea where it came from, or where it went. In short, I hardly ever see a plane "in the flesh" 

I have TrackIr 5 and its working a treat. 

It's all very strange. It feels like I'm almost flying around on my own. 

Thanks in advance for any advice. And if the advice is "practice more" , or "just keep at it", that's fine too. 

Many thanks. Martin

There are several topics already about spotting and it got improved a lot in the previous update before the last one.

That doesn't take away that spotting from a plane in general is a thing that needs practice.

Like in real life, most of the times you get shot down it is by an enemy that you didn't see.

Seeing your enemy first is like in real life the most important thing in air combat.

You should be checking your six constantly.

Not flying alone but joining a squad and as such communicating with them via a chat program is also very helpful.

Keep practicing, I'm actually not good at it myself as I get bounced so often.

Have a nice day.

:salute: 

Edited by FlyingShark
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Bert_Foster said:

Nice vid. How did you extract the excess Power values (Ps=0) to draw the sustained G on the Fan plots ?

@Floppy_Sock and I worked together to make them. When I first started this process I created an excel spreadsheet which via some math generates the EM template (Turn rate vs airspeed vs G-force vs turn radius), but when testing the airplanes you collect the data to input into the spreadsheet where it will then generate the full diagram you see in the video. Initially I was relying on timed turns to calculate/extrapolate the data I needed (which brings its own inaccuracies). Thankfully Floppysock programmed an application which takes the telemetry output from Il-2 and converts it into the data needed to make the EM Diagrams very accurate, so as long as the program is running if you're flight testing is accurate (constant airspeed/altitude during the turn) then the data will be too.

The cool thing is that telemetry still outputs with recorded tracks, so I'd like to have the community's help testing various airplanes at some point and then submit the tracks to us so we can input that data and create something where anyone can compare any airplane against the other if they want to.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

New video is out covering a dive bombing technique used in the Spitfire Mk.IX. It's made using DCS for something different but the technique still applies to Il-2.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
  • Requiem changed the title to Air Combat Tutorials,TIR Profile, Angle Off Charts - Updated 12 Feb 2021
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Requiem changed the title to Air Combat Tutorials,TIR Profile, Angle Off Charts - Updated 26 Feb 2021