Air Combat Tutorials,TIR Profile, Angle Off Charts - Updated 18 October 2021

Requiem

-LaFrench-Partaille

Updated the G940 controls in main post.

Hello :)

Is the update for the G940 : G940 26 Sep 14.zip is supposed to work fine with the latest patch ? Sorry but, I try to install, and all the buttons are wrong (the g940 joystick controls the throttle  :huh: ), I don't understand why  :( 

Thanks for the work you did for the g940 :)

Edited by Partaille

Try diving at a shallower angle (say, 60° or so) and you'll notice how the aimpoint shifts downwards. The spot I described works quite well. ;)

Ok I'll give it a try. If I can get it to work I can always do a quick second video showing a 60 degree attack, otherwise if you felt like donating a track that would be nice as it would save me time.

Hello :)

Is the update for the G940 : G940 26 Sep 14.zip is supposed to work fine with the latest patch ? Sorry but, I try to install, and all the buttons are wrong (the g940 joystick controls the throttle  :huh: ), I don't understand why  :( 

Thanks for the work you did for the g940 :)

Just did another one. If that doesn't work for you then I'm not sure what the problem would be. It might be your PC recognising your G940 as a different joystick ID compared to mine if you have extra peripherals plugged in.

Edited by SYN_Requiem

Ok I'll give it a try. If I can get it to work I can always do a quick second video showing a 60 degree attack, otherwise if you felt like donating a track that would be nice as it would save me time.

I'm currently very pressed for time, so I can't provide a track. Sorry. :(

-LaFrench-Partaille

Just did another one. If that doesn't work for you then I'm not sure what the problem would be. It might be your PC recognising your G940 as a different joystick ID compared to mine if you have extra peripherals plugged in.

Hi Requiem,

It's unbelievable, I changed my PC, and now, when I install the "profiler" of Logitech, and when I install you profile for IL-2 BOS, my throttle and my joystick are inverted... I don't understand why... Really, it was working better with my old PC...

Never seen that before.

-LaFrench-Partaille

Hi there,

I knockout the adolescent crisis of my G940.

The best way to solve my problem : burn your G940.

No, of course, I love the G940, so, to solve the problem : completely shut off your g940 (turn off the usb and the power), wait 30 seconds, turno on the power and put in another usb port. Uninstalling and installaing the "profiler" of Logitech don't solve the problem.

I post here because, you could have the problem one day.

And, excuse my english, I'm just french  ;)

adolescent crisisaeza

adolescent crisiseza

A

adolescent crisis

-LaFrench-Partaille

I come back with my g940 problems...

The last update is done on my computer. But, do you have this problem : can not invert the throttle ? I must up the throttle to declererate and down the throttle to acclererate...

I come back with my g940 problems...

The last update is done on my computer. But, do you have this problem : can not invert the throttle ? I must up the throttle to declererate and down the throttle to acclererate...

What is written below will help:

try to fiddle with the curves on the axis setting. once you touch any slider the diagram will invert itself.

Also, sometimes alt-tabbing to the desktop and back can help un-invert the throttle.

The last update solves all problems. Thanks !

I know you've had problems for a while so it's good to hear its sorted out for you!

I've updated the original post with the G940 controls for this patch as well. I have one video left to get done which is the He-111 familiarisation that is almost complete. I had a flu or something over the the last week that stopped me doing the voiceover for it (and since I live in Dallas, no it wasn't Ebola as I'm still kicking). I also have 3 exams and a research draft paper due next week, so it won't be until next weekend before it comes out. After the He-111 video is out though I'm going to wait and see if free camera is re-enabled at release.

Glad you are better Requiem. I wish you the best with those exams !!!

With this new update I am thinking of pulling out my old G940 and set it up and see how the force feed back feels. I had rewired everything in the throttle to get rid of the R1 and R2 spiking and other button wiring problems and had gotten a really good deal on some CH stuff ( while the G940 was being rewired ) and have been using it for a while ( really like it ). Something else I did to the G940, folks have talked about some of the units force feed back motor getting too hot and causing problems, I had made a couple of extra vent holes in the bottom and side and then used a cheap laptop fan cooler and place the joystick on this and it stays very cool---just something some may be interested in if having any cooling issues. My unit never experienced overheating problems but heat is electronics worst enemy so did this just to keep things safer. 

Cheers--sf

Thanks for your great YouTube videos Requiem. This is my first time in flight sims since Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator 3, so I appreciate the help!

gents,

I wanted to try this sweetFX thing.

I downloaded and installed flight FX that i found on the first page, created a new game profile with the Il2.exe and then loaded the settings from the FiFi file..

but when I try to lanuch il2BOS it doesnt launch.. the launcher never runs the game....

as soon as I cancelled the FlightFX il2 profile,it worked again...

what am I doing wrong ?

thanks

Thanks for your great YouTube videos Requiem. This is my first time in flight sims since Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator 3, so I appreciate the help!

No worries Albino. I'm always glad to hear it when someone makes a return to flight simming, and if these videos help then it's all the better. I'm hoping to do a lot more tutorial videos once the release of BoS arrives. I remember flying Combat Flight Simulator 1 back when I was like 14 and loved it, but then I skipped CFS2 and flew CFS3 which was very cool for the time. Any questions don't be afraid to ask as there are plenty of knowledgeable people on this forum.

gents,

I wanted to try this sweetFX thing.

I downloaded and installed flight FX that i found on the first page, created a new game profile with the Il2.exe and then loaded the settings from the FiFi file..

but when I try to lanuch il2BOS it doesnt launch.. the launcher never runs the game....

as soon as I cancelled the FlightFX il2 profile,it worked again...

what am I doing wrong ?

thanks

One thing to try is to make sure your "data" folder is set correctly to the BoS installation "data" folder within SweetFX.

Edited by SYN_Requiem

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Requiem,

Just watched your He-111 familiarization video ----as usual---excellent----

Most enjoyed your quick wit ( humor ) in regards to the "ventral gunner" having the worst view as can be seen--- too funny---- even shared with my wife and 16 year old son and of course they chuckled over this as well-----keep that sense of humor !!!  :lol:

Thanks again for all this work ----- sf -----    

Hey Requiem,

Just watched your He-111 familiarization video ----as usual---excellent----

Most enjoyed your quick wit ( humor ) in regards to the "ventral gunner" having the worst view as can be seen--- too funny---- even shared with my wife and 16 year old son and of course they chuckled over this as well-----keep that sense of humor !!!  :lol:

Thanks again for all this work ----- sf -----    

Cheers sf, I couldn't resist that joke when I looked around. It was staring me right in the face ;)

Updated the main post with a video covering barrel rolls.

Nice job on the 111 video, Req! Just one thing - the mixture controls are now automatic, and the two knobs you refer to for mixture are actually the supercharger controls.

Nice job on the 111 video, Req! Just one thing - the mixture controls are now automatic, and the two knobs you refer to for mixture are actually the supercharger controls.

Cheers for that information mate...I was wondering where the supercharger controls were supposed to be in the He-111 when I made the video as I always heard a noise when I used the control but never saw anything move anywhere before. I guess I'll have to add some annotations to state this information until I find the time to re-edit and re-upload next weekend or something. The pitfalls of working without manuals and changing software :)

Edited by SYN_Requiem

• 4 weeks later...

Couple of updates. The other day I uploaded a video I forgot about on my HDD after I edited it a bit (Ground handling #2 Intro to taildraggers), and also finally finished off my channel trailer.

I'll be updating the G940 control scheme tomorrow hopefully. The latest update messed about with my settings so I need to double check everything.

I repeat, but thanks for all !

No worries Partaille :)

I got around to making an updated version of the G940 controls, so those are uploaded in the first post if anyone wants it.

[NASA]il_Balordo

Hi everyone,

My new channel "The Air Combat Tutorial Library" is live and can be found under the username RequiemBoS at www.youtube.com/requiembos

Channel Trailer:

Releasing these videos would be a lot harder if I didn't have a few helpers who have been reviewing what I've been making so far for fixes and improvements, so thanks to Bill, Eric, Pete, and Robey for volunteering your time and expertise to help make these videos better! These new videos have annotations, which are buttons I've added to the video that you can click on. They are pretty obvious, so if you wanted to watch a certain section, replay a section, or skip something altogether, just click on it and you will be taken where you need to go.  Also, just for your info: Subscribers get emails as soon as the videos are made public and I update these sorts of posts later on, so if you like them please subscribe because it gives me an idea of people's interest. I enjoy the process of making them and knowing people benefit from them is very satisfying.

Anyway, I hope you like them and feedback is very much encouraged on inaccuracies/improvements/suggestions etc. I have a long list to make, but if there is anything in particular you want to see let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Latest Video Release 24 November 2014:

Ground Handling #2 - Intro to Taildraggers

Six Degrees of Freedom TrackIR Profile 19 June 2014:attachicon.gifRequiem Jun 2014.zip

This is a new TIR profile from me which I've tested in in BoS, CloD, and RoF, and I'm happy that with how it performs in all three sims. The big thing I've done is the implementation of slight deadzones towards the end of head movement to avoid you moving your head far enough to get the view stuck in position at the end of its range. It's hard to describe what I mean, but it's basically a hard deadzone mixed in with a soft deadzone to make looking around feel more natural. This is basically a whole new profile across all six axes, but I'll list the changes to three of the most important axes below:

Yaw - You will notice a change in the 'yaw' axis when you look left and right. It won't take you to the full 180 degree position in-game but will actually stop at about 150 degrees, so for example when you look left to check your six oclock the view won't let you see completely out the other side, and yet it doesn't hinder your ability to check six at all. This means that the axes are limited in their range a little bit, but to me looking around in-game actually feels like it is a head instead of pivoting around a point in the cockpit. I always disliked how looking to my six would inevitably show the entire back of the cockpit which made it look flat, so I really like these changes.

Pitch - Added the little deadzones, but I've made it easier to look up and down without the issue of getting stuck at the ends of TIR's range. Looking up is faster initially, but slower towards the end to make it better to check above you and as part of a high six oclock check. Looking down is easier so you can check the instruments you need.

X axis - Added the little deadzones and made it easier to slide left and right in the cockpit, but the deadzone on this axis is slightly larger to prevent the out of body experience you can have with the canopy open.

I use a speed of 1 and smoothness of 35 with this profile. Edit the profile as you please.

Defaults:

• Center - Mouse button 5 (thumb mouse button)
  • Pause - CTRL+F9
  • Precision - CTRL+F7
  • Profile - CTRL+F12 (not enabled)
  • All axes - Enabled
  • Trueview - Off

Logitech G940 Controls Package 28 Nov 2014: attachicon.gifG940 28 Nov 14.zip

It has a readme, a picture of the in-game control assignments below, the input map, and a Logitech profiler file which will let you use the modifier switch on the joystick so you get double the functionality from your buttons.

attachicon.gifg940 28 Nov 2014.jpg

Aircraft Guides by Chuck:

Nice guides which cover different aspects of each aircraft in BoS.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/10268-chucks-aircraft-guide/

Cockpit Reference Cards by =RkSq=Lodebeard

Good guides to use on a second screen, tablet, or just printed off while familiarising yourself with the aircraft in BoS.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/6670-cockpit-glance-reference-cards/

SweetFX/FlightFX:

SweetFX/FlightFX is a neat utility used by many people to improve how the game looks without incurring a FPS drop. SweetFX is the stuff that implements the changes, but FlightFX is an external program which manages the usage of SweetFX much better. I prefer FlightFX because you just use a checkbox to turn SweetFX on and off rather than SweetFX where you need to add/remove the files manually. There are presets available so you don't even need to mess with the process of creating settings yourself, and many people recommend preset made by =Fifi= as being the best one out there.

=Fifi= SweetFX preset: attachicon.gifSweetFX_Il2_Fifi_settings.txt

Here is an example of how BoS looks with Fifi's preset on and off.

attachicon.gifFX1.jpgattachicon.gifFX2.jpg

For detailed instructions on how to use this utility go to: SweetFX and FlightFX to download it and get it up and running depending on your preference of how you want to use it (Manual = SweetFX, Auto = FlightFX)

If you are using FlightFX and experiencing crashing when the BoS launcher starts, disable SweetFX, re-start the BoS launcher, then enable SweetFX and you should be fine.

Dear SYN_Requiem,
first I would thank you for all your work.
I have buy a G940 system, seeing that you use it too.
My first impression is NOT very good sincerely :(
I used mechanical auto center joystick (T16000M... cheap but very precise)
In the game window of the force feedback settings, which are your parameters?

33cpsee.jpg

And in the Logitech profiler? ... (sorry is in Italian, option -> global setting device)

3148eo4.jpg

Last question ... Do you know a way to run SweetFX under windows 8 ???
Thank you again.
Federico

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
102nd-YU-VUK

Hi, great work

is there any files for Logitech G940 Controls Package ?

Since no file is available.

Thank you 

Edited by 102nd-YU-VUK

hi,

I have just watched the videos and according to the Mixture lesson the flame should be blue/orange for max. perf.

For IL-2 this happens to me at 35% ot the mixture setting. Isn't that a bit low?

Hi, great work

is there any files for Logitech G940 Controls Package ?

Since no file is available.

Thank you 

There is, but a patch messed around with it and I haven't had a chance to fix it. I'll try and get a revised one up by the end of this weekend.

hi,

I have just watched the videos and according to the Mixture lesson the flame should be blue/orange for max. perf.

For IL-2 this happens to me at 35% ot the mixture setting. Isn't that a bit low?

The colours are just a general guideline. Another way is to lean until engine roughness then enrich it, but lacking gauges that show cylinder head temperature (except in La-5) or exhaust gas temperature makes it hard to know exactly what mixture ratio is correct. A test would be needed to see if having it at 35% (what altitude?) is normal because the ratio should vary depending on the atmospheric conditions.

Thanks for the TrackIR profile.  Far better than what I produced.

No worries :)

Edited by SYN_Requiem

I made my own profile to suit my needs, but not before scoping out yours, as I was previously clueless.

Requiem, you sir, are a living legend.

• 1 month later...
Luger1969

Hi guys. I just got trackir and am usings requiems profile (thanks requiem). My settings for speed is 1 and smooth 50. My question with trackir on the sim especially when looking left/right (yaw) do you have deliberate slower head movement than in real life...my impression is that when you move your head to quickly there is blurryness and perhaps lag in game.

I have also tried reducing speed to lets say .7 but then for some reason my over shoulder left and right look angles decrease....cant see back adequately. Why would that be?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Can I download the profile anywhere?? :bye:

yes on the first page ,it standing haveway there  in a download zip

Edited by NastyDog

• 1 month later...
  • Requiem changed the title to Air Combat Tutorials,TIR Profile, Angle Off Charts - Updated 18 October 2021