SYN_Requiem

Air Combat Tutorials,TIR Profile, Angle Off Charts - Updated 1 September 2019

Very good insight. Put it on the 20 degree ring and shoot☺

High Req, I have always learned by trial and error but after your deflection vid I put the angle off stuff into practice and have scored some great hits. The best of which was a 190 zooming, when I got guns on he was twice convergence and he had twice the g. I had the sight set correctly for the plane and followed his shallow climb out, got the angle off, put it on the ring and nailed him in a one second burst!!!!!!!!!!! I was a happy bunny.

One thing thou why in your spit vid do you put the trim to -1 division from the middle for take off?(i guess this is what the manual says)

I find in this sim I want to put the trim way up high, almost to the top to climb at best speed!

And another thing ur vid does not cover is that after 10kft the climb speed should be reduced by 1.5 mph per 1000ft(that is the detail I want for aircraft). Best climb, Best Angle of climb...................

Edited by AeroAce

High Req, I have always learned by trial and error but after your deflection vid I put the angle off stuff into practice and have scored some great hits. The best of which was a 190 zooming, when I got guns on he was twice convergence and he had twice the g. I had the sight set correctly for the plane and followed his shallow climb out, got the angle off, put it on the ring and nailed him in a one second burst!!!!!!!!!!! I was a happy bunny.

One thing thou why in your spit vid do you put the trim to -1 division from the middle for take off?(i guess this is what the manual says)

I find in this sim I want to put the trim way up high, almost to the top to climb at best speed!

And another thing ur vid does not cover is that after 10kft the climb speed should be reduced by 1.5 mph per 1000ft(that is the detail I want for aircraft). Best climb, Best Angle of climb...................

Just bear in mind those Angle Off circles are valid for a target flying 300-350mph, so changes in airspeed will alter them. Its a great basic starting point though. The airspeed alteration is part of what the next air to air video covers by expanding on whats learned in the first one.

The reason for the trim setting on takeoff is because I try and follow the real manuals as much as possible when I have them available and thats what it says to do. After takeoff do whatever you want with the trim, but on landing you will likely want to go back to a nose down setting.

I know about the reduction in climb airspeed above 10,000 ft as all those values are in the Spit MkVb manual, but that information isnt necessarily known amongst all airplanes and I’m trying to maintain common comparisons between the airplanes on those new pages in the familiarisations. IMHO some stuff just falls under “minutia” which doesnt really help make the game more accessible. I only have so much room to put information on those pages and what is there is what I think is the most important to get started and hopefully inspire someone to learn more if they want.

I’m simply one guy and I have to prioritise my time, so while I could test and try to figure out all kinds of performance data its not something I have the time to do. For example, I created a spreadsheet over a year and a half ago that can output EM diagrams based on performance data by testing airplanes in-game and I was really happy with its results. (what sim it is doesnt matter, only the testing results do). However, I’ve never gotten around to using it other than testing it with the Yak-1 which came out looking pretty good. I’ve thought about asking people to test airplanes for me but that would need me to make specific missions with specific atmospheric conditions and hope people can all test an airplane to the same standard. Anyway, stopping my ramblings now as thats a different topic altogether.

I think you hold the community spirit of not only IRL aviation but the sim world! I thank you and understand why you don't want to complicate things or make discrepancies in your vids.

But As an IRL and SIM pilot I want stall, best angle, best climb.....I don't care about roll .... I just want the base stats for my plane that a real manual would give!!!!!

You do the best to help new players!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Edited by AeroAce

Great guides. Are there any guides for evasive manoeuvres specifically in the 109. I BnZ as much as possible but inevitably get caught up in a turn fight and get nailed every time. Whats the best course of action 109 when you have an enemy AC up your arse?

hi réquiem , can you show your config FFB g940 IL2 bos setting + setting Logitech profiler??

for example

setting.jpg

Edited by Ala13_UnopaUno

On 3/3/2018 at 1:44 PM, colninny said:

great work requiem!

Thanks Colninny. Keep up your work too, it's invaluable having experienced RL pilots share their knowledge and experience!

On 3/7/2018 at 12:35 PM, Ala13_UnopaUno said:

hi réquiem , can you show your config FFB g940 IL2 bos setting + setting Logitech profiler??

for example

Hey UnopaUno I'll get this information you want when I get home as I'm currently on a trip in Canada.

New video out today covering how to shoot with the REVI sight using the Angle Off principles you learned in the first video. Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

On 3/7/2018 at 12:35 PM, Ala13_UnopaUno said:

for example

Here it is UnopaUno:

Profiler.png

P-39L and 109 G-4 tutorials completed

Edited by SYN_Requiem
addded g-4
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

21 hours ago, SYN_Vander said:

Thanks Requiem! I really like the P-39 :)

No worries Vander! :)

A heads up for those of you who have the Angle Off charts. I've updated them a little bit to include some more airplanes and the Angle Off rings over the sights for reference. Also, as suggested on the new airplanes I updated the exterior position further away so I could zoom in to improve the view.

Edited by SYN_Requiem
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Requim,as a newbie I look forward to spending some time watching your videos.

• Thanks 1

Thank you once again.

Each time I think I know everything about planes I learn something new here :biggrin:.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

• Thanks 1

Really thank you for your videos and hard work! Content is great and editing of these videos is maybe even better.

• Thanks 1

Fw 190 A-5 video out today.

In other news...Been a bit quiet as I was on vacation recently, but my plan is to knock out the remaining familiarisations ASAP. They're already recorded but require voiceover. The next gunnery video and BFM #4 are also being worked on, so my Air Gunnery supplement will be updated soon with the remaining Angle Off sight rings (Russian, Macchi, USA). I also found some GoPro footage from when I was flight training I'll make into a couple of short videos as well.

Enjoy :salute:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Hello,

I watched your tutorial on aerial gunnery, especially the ones about the use of fixed sights. It's the first time I actually get to understand how to make good use of the gunsight in order to adjust deflection fire. To be honest I was sceptical on first impression, thinking everything was going too fast in a dogfight anyway to actually be able to make good use of the techniques you showed. Big mistake of mine. I tried it in flight (versus AI only so far) and even after only a few trials it definitely helped me increase my aiming skills (which I actually still consider as novice by the way).

I'm really enjoying your whole channel, thanks !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2018 at 1:40 PM, swiss_lipo said:

Hello,

I watched your tutorial on aerial gunnery, especially the ones about the use of fixed sights. It's the first time I actually get to understand how to make good use of the gunsight in order to adjust deflection fire. To be honest I was sceptical on first impression, thinking everything was going too fast in a dogfight anyway to actually be able to make good use of the techniques you showed. Big mistake of mine. I tried it in flight (versus AI only so far) and even after only a few trials it definitely helped me increase my aiming skills (which I actually still consider as novice by the way).

I'm really enjoying your whole channel, thanks !

Being skeptical of anything you find on the internet is good to do. I'm very glad to hear your gunnery has improved though! :) Over time with enough practice the shooting will become much more instinctive and to reach the point where you won't need to think about the Angle Off and airspeeds. The harder part will be how to end up in the right position consistently to take such shots ;)

3 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Great stuff as usual... are you doing the Yak 7b?

Yeah mate I'm about to finish off the Yak-7 and the IL2-1943 to complete all the familiarisations for the Kuban planeset. Just got to get the voiceover complete so they should both be out in a few days. I could have done both of them today, but I've been busy with the video recordings for the Russian gunsight tutorial...a lot of footage to go through before whittling the shot selection down.

16 hours ago, SYN_Requiem said:

Yeah mate I'm about to finish off the Yak-7 and the IL2-1943 to complete all the familiarisations for the Kuban planeset. Just got to get the voiceover complete so they should both be out in a few days. I could have done both of them today, but I've been busy with the video recordings for the Russian gunsight tutorial...a lot of footage to go through before whittling the shot selection down.

Please, tutorial on rockets!!!! :hunter:

Please Please Please do a vid on the Gyro Sight.

Thanks

Aero

26 minutes ago, AeroAce said:

Please Please Please do a vid on the Gyro Sight.

Thanks

Aero

Here you go...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

Here you go...

Cool vid.

I'm a little confused still.

I get setting the span.

But the range? In practice do I just want to set the range for my convergence then fire when the enemy fills the ring?

I guess you could adjust the range to make the enemy fill the ring at any range but then the rounds would be going missing in the horizontal but not vertical?

Edited by AeroAce

Nice video, thank you :salute:

Ohh, and your videos Requiem, are just outstanding :clapping:

Edited by skyrusher
  • Thanks 1

Spitfire video is done.

Edited by SYN_Requiem
added video link
  • Thanks 1