Requiem

Air Combat Tutorials,TIR Profile, Angle Off Charts - Updated 1 August 2020

6 hours ago, Elwood55 said:

Hello,

Love all you guides!

forgive me if already asked, but ... are the checklist you are showing in the video available for download?

No...but that is a common request actually. I may have to make a PDF or something. You can press "print screen" to take a picture though at least.

It's what I did for the planes I fly...........  but I'm very old school, older than most on here....

Just a sample from one of my docs

P-47D-28 THUNDERBOLT START

Mixture – IDLE CUTOFF (Move to Auto Rich at engine start)

Throttle – Open 1”

Propeller – Full forward (Can be linked to throttle)

Turbosupercharger – Link with Throttle

Oil Cooler Flaps – Neutral

Intercooler Flaps – Neutral

Engine Cowl Flaps – Open

ADI – Off (Use for full weapons load out takeoff)

Wheel brakes – Locked

Start Engine – “E”

PILOT’S NOTES: P-47D-28

ENGINE LIMITATIONS:  

Pratt & Whitney R-2800-59               RPM                inHG

EMERGENCY (5 MIN)                                     2700                       64.0”

COMBAT (15 MIN)                                          2700                       52.0”

MAX AUTO RICH                                              2550                       42.0”

MAX AUTO LEAN                                             2250                       32.0”

Cheers

Hoss

I saw some are trying to figure out what settings to use on NVIDIA control panel because of low fps.  Remember this game is DirectX not OpenGL.  Go here and read this tweak guide on how to set up your video card for an application, make sure to pay attention where it says don't use this on global settings.  Make sure you find the IL2.exe on Program settings page of gui, if it's not there add it. 

https://tweakguides.pcgamingwiki.com/NVFORCE_1.html

Requiem doesn't use True View because he says it messes up things for him, but I do, It's going to be different for each person's application there is no perfect profile you can just take and plug in and Bingo Bango everything is hunky dorey.  Experimentation is the key to getting the most out of the game. 

Here is my Track IR profile and you can look at Requiems and mine and see the differences. 

http://www.mediafire.com/file/pp71b7d5rdwyiyg/Track_IR_Profile.zip/file

I won't share my control panel settings because I have an old HD monitor and it doesn't use Gsync or Freesync, so I could not help you there on whether to use them or not. 

Good Luck

Hoss

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, 361st_Hoss said:

but I'm very old school, older than most on here....

That's exACTLY what I do when I'm watching the videos but I write it down in my 'notebook' and then lose the notebook on a more than regular basis!!

With age comes knowledge coupled inexorably with infirmity and amnesia!!

:thank_you:

4 hours ago, Requiem said:

No...but that is a common request actually. I may have to make a PDF or something. You can press "print screen" to take a picture though at least.

A PDF ready to print or load on e-reader will be the best option to me!

I'm aware of the print-screen, snippint tools and so on... thanks!

On 3/27/2020 at 6:03 AM, KylerHolland said:

Actually it does not work well as well :) 

TrueView has a 'snap to center' bug that usually appears when you move your real head from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock in a relatively fast way.

Here is a gif from TrackIR that shows this thing (that fast snap to center at the end when head is moving back to 12 o'clock)

Disabling TrueView eliminates the issue. This is not related to deadzones.

+1 great advice. The snapping is really annoying. 

Just a small update. I've started a Discord channel if people are interested in joining up and meeting some new folks to fly with, especially if you're a new pilot or a solo flyer. I also started a Patreon if anyone wishes to be a part of that also (Link is in my signature). I'm doing some giveaways on my Discord at the moment to mark making this thing public (I've already had someone else give away the P-38, thanks Funk!). The first of my giveaways is a DCS F/A-18 so if you want to enter feel free to pop in, check out the welcome page and take a look around, but please say hello too! We have some great people in here already so we hope to be able to help you and fly with you. If you have discord click this link to join https://discord.gg/TgW8RWK

Oh and here is a newly revised video too:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello Guys,

I have not flied for a while but now with the lockdown I have more time for this wonderful SIm.

I need your help on the G940 configuration. 
Previously, one button on my stick (the lowest) was used as Shift keystroke. It allow to have two different configuration for a single button.
The second one, on the trigger was used to fire all machine gun and the trigger alone only the machinegun 1.

I'm not able to configure my G940 that way. Anyone have a solution?

I also research the Requiem's G940 profile but I don't find it. A reson why it has been removed?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I have a ton of execllent video to watch!  Many thanks Requiem for this great job

1 hour ago, AF-Pegase said:

Hello Guys,

I have not flied for a while but now with the lockdown I have more time for this wonderful SIm.

I need your help on the G940 configuration. 
Previously, one button on my stick (the lowest) was used as Shift keystroke. It allow to have two different configuration for a single button.
The second one, on the trigger was used to fire all machine gun and the trigger alone only the machinegun 1.

I'm not able to configure my G940 that way. Anyone have a solution?

I also research the Requiem's G940 profile but I don't find it. A reson why it has been removed?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I have a ton of execllent video to watch!  Many thanks Requiem for this great job

Hey there,

I stopped using the G940 a long time ago so I got rid of the profile and don't have it anymore. I can't remember much about it anymore, sorry.

On 4/19/2020 at 8:03 PM, Requiem said:

Hey there,

I stopped using the G940 a long time ago so I got rid of the profile and don't have it anymore. I can't remember much about it anymore, sorry.

Thanks for your prompt reply. Maybe another dinausor like me still using the G940 has an answer 😉

New video out today covering Il-2 Navigation using the Luftwaffe stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

Another masterpiece by Requiem.

We need to have a more complex navigation like in the old IL2 1646 when you could select your beacon. This is one of the wishes for BON (along with some other minor improvements such as torpedoes, mines, etc).

Edited by =gRiJ=Roman-
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Yes, making beacons selectable would really enhance this feature. Requiem's video did a good job of showing it's potential.

Edited by [DBS]El_Marta
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, [DBS]El_Marta said:

Yes, making beacons selectable would really enhance this feature. Requiem's video did a good job of showing it's potential.

Maybe one day we can get selectable beacons. I couldn't care less about adjusting frequencies manually but having the ability to select different beacons if they were labeled on your map would be nice.

Edited by Requiem
  • Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Requiem said:

I couldn't care less about adjusting frequencies manually but having the ability to select different beacons if they were labeled on your map would be nice.

I think this too, together with control over the course setters in planes that had them.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

• Upvote 2

USA and Russian Navigation video. Works slightly differently between the two systems which is kind of weird from the Russian side honestly.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Requiem said:

USA and Russian Navigation video. Works slightly differently between the two systems which is kind of weird from the Russian side honestly.

Thank you for the videos.  The Pe-2s (gunner position) and Il2 43 (to the right of the seat, on the floor) have a distance meter with a scale of 0-7 with 7 being closest to the beacon.

Side note:  Azimuth (A20) not working in mp atm?  Mine isn't, at least on combat box.

Edited by Plurp
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Plurp said:

Thank you for the videos.  The Pe-2s (gunner position) and Il2 43 (to the right of the seat, on the floor) have a distance meter with a scale of 0-7 with 7 being closest to the beacon.

Thanks for that, I never even saw that thing!

19 hours ago, Plurp said:

Side note:  Azimuth (A20) not working in mp atm?  Mine isn't, at least on combat box.

No radio beacons on the map, no working RDF controls.

19 hours ago, Plurp said:

Thanks for pointing that out! It's also in the La-5FN, La-5, Yak-1, and Yak-1B.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, LukeFF said:

No radio beacons on the map, no working RDF controls.

Beacons were there, the homing needle was working fine.  Switched to Pe-2, and it all worked.  Did not get to test the P-39.  

Edited by Plurp

On 4/13/2020 at 9:40 AM, 361st_Hoss said:

It's what I did for the planes I fly...........  but I'm very old school, older than most on here....

Just a sample from one of my docs

P-47D-28 THUNDERBOLT START

Mixture – IDLE CUTOFF (Move to Auto Rich at engine start)

Throttle – Open 1”

Propeller – Full forward (Can be linked to throttle)

Turbosupercharger – Link with Throttle

Oil Cooler Flaps – Neutral

Intercooler Flaps – Neutral

Engine Cowl Flaps – Open

ADI – Off (Use for full weapons load out takeoff)

Wheel brakes – Locked

Start Engine – “E”

PILOT’S NOTES: P-47D-28

ENGINE LIMITATIONS:  

Pratt & Whitney R-2800-59               RPM                inHG

EMERGENCY (5 MIN)                                     2700                       64.0”

COMBAT (15 MIN)                                          2700                       52.0”

MAX AUTO RICH                                              2550                       42.0”

MAX AUTO LEAN                                             2250                       32.0”

What we need is this guy (starting at 13:15) holding up our checklists for us before takeoff!

(I've been into this stuff for 40 years and never noticed Checklist Guy before 🤣 Brilliant!)

Posted (edited)

I keep forgetting to update this thread...I'd recommend being on my Discord channel so you can see these when they're out of the Patreon early access. When some future content comes out which doesn't use Il-2 I don't plan on using this thread to do that so you may miss some stuff otherwise.

Cheers!

Edited by Requiem
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Hello @Requiem

If you haven't already done so, may I suggest as a topic for a video: How To Attack Bombers

Lots of different techniques get discussed...most seem easier said than done. I would love to see a skilled pilot tutorial in the IL-2 GB environment, using a variety of weapons and targets. (Edit: I'd make one myself but I lack the skilled part).

Thanks for your contributions, and have a good one -

Edited by MattS
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MattS said:

Hello @Requiem

If you haven't already done so, may I suggest as a topic for a video: How To Attack Bombers

Lots of different techniques get discussed...most seem easier said than done. I would love to see a skilled pilot tutorial in the IL-2 GB environment, using a variety of weapons and targets. (Edit: I'd make one myself but I lack the skilled part).

Thanks for your contributions, and have a good one -

Funny you should ask that. I have 2 videos coming on attacking bombers and one is in early access for my Patreon at the moment :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Funny you should ask that. I have 2 videos coming on attacking bombers and one is in early access for my Patreon at the moment :)

CLAIRVOYANCE MODE: ENGAGED 🤣

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Sorry, I just couldn't resist it. I know, I KNOW...

https://youtu.be/U7WPI4TJImo

Killing Joke - Requiem - 1980 - STILL one of my favourite bits of music.

Edited by LeLv30_Raptorattacker

5 hours ago, LeLv30_Raptorattacker said:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist it. I know, I KNOW...

https://youtu.be/U7WPI4TJImo

Killing Joke - Requiem - 1980 - STILL one of my favourite bits of music.

Definitely has that typical English band sound to it!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MattS said:

CLAIRVOYANCE MODE: ENGAGED 🤣

With those kind of prediction skills you could be an AI gunner!

• Haha 2

Not sure if anyone has suggested it yet, but @Requiem would you consider doing a video on aircraft identification for the most difficult airframes like P51/P40 vs 109?

There do exist some previous guides (docs and videos) but they are all focussed on the difference between Russian and German planes, they state that German have straight lines and Russian are rounded wings. Following those guides will lead an allied player to to shoot P-51s in the 1944-45 scenarios :) The P51 has straighter wingtips than the 109 does, 109 G-14 actually has a bit of curve in the wingtip.

Identifying 109s from P51s from the top view is rather difficult in the popular dawn/dusk and cloudy dark settings the multiplayer servers like to use.

Combat Box server yesterday in the first 20 minutes after joining I saw 4-5 friendly fire incidents and alot of anger in chat. I thought it would never happen to me as I always fly very close and look at skin colour and markings.

Unfortunately there's a P-51 British skin with similar camouflage to the 109. What's worse is at mid-distance in shadow the roundels blend into the camo and actually look like dark german markings. So I get really close to be sure, think I see German markings on a German colour and took a snapshot. Unfortunately hit the poor guy with cannon and only when I zoomed past the level of detail made the roundels pop up properly out of the dark crossish shape in the camouflage, as did the bright red colour of my face 🥵.

Then after that I see more friendly fire continue as people mis-ID planes..

It seems alot more prevalent either in the newer 1944/1945 maps, or maybe just due to the sales alot more new players coming online.

There must be some tricks you or someone can share as it seems even getting very close is not enough, and then when we spend so long to ID the enemy we lose any advantage or surprise when they hear our engine.

On 7/7/2020 at 7:14 PM, Dan_Taipan said:

Not sure if anyone has suggested it yet, but @Requiem would you consider doing a video on aircraft identification for the most difficult airframes like P51/P40 vs 109?

There do exist some previous guides (docs and videos) but they are all focussed on the difference between Russian and German planes, they state that German have straight lines and Russian are rounded wings. Following those guides will lead an allied player to to shoot P-51s in the 1944-45 scenarios :) The P51 has straighter wingtips than the 109 does, 109 G-14 actually has a bit of curve in the wingtip.

Identifying 109s from P51s from the top view is rather difficult in the popular dawn/dusk and cloudy dark settings the multiplayer servers like to use.

Combat Box server yesterday in the first 20 minutes after joining I saw 4-5 friendly fire incidents and alot of anger in chat. I thought it would never happen to me as I always fly very close and look at skin colour and markings.

Unfortunately there's a P-51 British skin with similar camouflage to the 109. What's worse is at mid-distance in shadow the roundels blend into the camo and actually look like dark german markings. So I get really close to be sure, think I see German markings on a German colour and took a snapshot. Unfortunately hit the poor guy with cannon and only when I zoomed past the level of detail made the roundels pop up properly out of the dark crossish shape in the camouflage, as did the bright red colour of my face 🥵.

Then after that I see more friendly fire continue as people mis-ID planes..

It seems alot more prevalent either in the newer 1944/1945 maps, or maybe just due to the sales alot more new players coming online.

There must be some tricks you or someone can share as it seems even getting very close is not enough, and then when we spend so long to ID the enemy we lose any advantage or surprise when they hear our engine.

Aircraft ID is on my "to do" list as I was taught an easy technique to identify airplanes with the acronym WETFUS years and years ago (Wings, Engine, Tail, Fuselage, Undercarriage, Special Features). Like everything though I wish I had more than 24hrs in a day. It may not come out next week or the next but it will at some point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Requiem said:

Aircraft ID is on my "to do" list as I was taught an easy technique to identify airplanes with the acronym WETFUS years and years ago (Wings, Engine, Tail, Fuselage, Undercarriage, Special Features). Like everything though I wish I had more than 24hrs in a day. It may not come out next week or the next but it will at some point.

No hurry, I know the feeling. With flight sims there never seems to be enough time for anything both in and out of the game.

I've trained myself a bit using QMB and screenshots using the WTF method (wings tail fuselage)

hi, thanks Requiem for the TIR profile!

just one thing, when we look 6 and we want to bend on the right side, we have, in reality, to bend on the left in real... Is there a possibility to avoid it?

19 minutes ago, C6_Geo said:

hi, thanks Requiem for the TIR profile!

just one thing, when we look 6 and we want to bend on the right side, we have, in reality, to bend on the left in real... Is there a possibility to avoid it?

Turn on the "TrueView" option in the profile.

Alot of people leave it off though, because it has an issue where it seems to move your head position.

If you have a HOTAS button to re-center trackir and use it alot, then Trueview works well I think since re-centering prevents any issue. I'm using Trueview now.

• Thanks 1

Here are both videos on how to attack bombers if you haven't caught them. Cheers.

• Like 2

Two videos. Energy maneuverability and the P-47D-22. Cheers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Hey guys!

Do you have any way to fix the Trueview centering issues? I've got used to fly without Trueview because it eliminates this issue but I would like to have it on. Does someone find out how to solve it or is it just a bug that Natural Point has to fix?

If it is something that NP has to address, I'm afraid that the fix is not coming ever as the last update for the software was in 2016 and it looks like TrackIR is not supported anymore.

Thanks,