Jump to content
TWHYata_PL

3.002 Vive performance

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, dburne said:

 

Ok good to know it at least rules Steam VR out regarding the issue.

Hoping the devs can take a look at this and get it corrected. 

 

Cant say 100 percent dburne.

One of the steam beta updates said 'fixed resource leak that could cause persistent frame lag' and I was very hopeful that finally this was both the problem and the fix. However it didn't change or fix a thing. But man did that get my hopes up, as it does sound like the very definition of the problem!

With VR no matter how powerful a rig there will always be drops from time to time usually the result of some intrusion by a background program or process. In DCS turning my jetseat used to cause a flashing steam background drops and now for some reason not! Perhaps better memory management!

However the frame drops I get in BOS are not random performance drops that occur out of the blue, but occur without fail at the exact same time during any campaign mission. If it was steam VR I would expect the same thing with DCS. Of course DCS suffers FPS drops but that's just because it's DCS and in the heli missions I fly they are exceedingly rare. Still lets not rule anything out not like I know what I'm talking about...

The drops also don't appear to simply be a VR problem, and can be observed on an FPS counter outside of VR too I think. If I were the devs though I would look into flares! In the air it's not possible to see what causes them (but again you could set your watch by them) with certainty but down by the ground the flash occurs every time without fail when a flare gets released, and however despite these drops performance is generally good.

The problem is not dropping below 45, that never happens for me, these flashes occur due to losing about 20 frames in a flash...

Any idea how often BOS receives performance patches?


 


 

 

On 22/04/2018 at 1:16 AM, coconut said:

I have a Rift. On Low settings I have received an improvement in performance in the quick mission generator. Now getting 90 FPS at low altitude.

I don't know if it's different at higher settings or in heavier missions.

 

Oh no on a mission like that I get great performance, also scripted campaigns seem fine too though cant say for sure. It's on the main campaign where the problem lies. I have tried on the absoloute rock bottom of settings.

Edited by Wolf8312

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah the thing that puzzles me even more, is in addition to the low fps I am now getting in BoX I also see some terrain shimmering that I have not see before. Maybe it is a result of the lower performance. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just resumed flying in my Kuban Career, man I do not know what is going on but the shimmering and edges of the landscape is pretty rough - almost looks like my resolution has gone down or something. I have never seen it look like this in VR.

 

Hmm, just took a look again in Steam VR settings, under application it has added an IL-2 application and set the Application Resolution Adjustment to 100%.

I don't want Steam VR touching my resolution, so wondering if this has something to do with what is going on for me?

And how the blazes do I get rid of an application setting in Steam VR?? augh

 

Edit:  After I exited out of BoX, it does not show IL-2 in the application settings so apparently it adds it in only while BoX is running. 

I am still troubled by the statement in the video tab that if "No manual override selected Steam VR automatically sets resolution setting depending on performance of your GPU".

 

 

Edited by dburne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, dburne said:

Just resumed flying in my Kuban Career, man I do not know what is going on but the shimmering and edges of the landscape is pretty rough - almost looks like my resolution has gone down or something. I have never seen it look like this in VR.

 

Hmm, just took a look again in Steam VR settings, under application it has added an IL-2 application and set the Application Resolution Adjustment to 100%.

I don't want Steam VR touching my resolution, so wondering if this has something to do with what is going on for me?

And how the blazes do I get rid of an application setting in Steam VR?? augh

 

Edit:  After I exited out of BoX, it does not show IL-2 in the application settings so apparently it adds it in only while BoX is running. 

I am still troubled by the statement in the video tab that if "No manual override selected Steam VR automatically sets resolution setting depending on performance of your GPU".

 

 

I know you like to use Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) to set your SS, but you may get better mileage setting OTT SS to 0 and letting SteamVR run auto SS at 200% to fix the landscape shimmering. I also use landscape blurred setting.:salute:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Toxin1 said:

I know you like to use Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) to set your SS, but you may get better mileage setting OTT SS to 0 and letting SteamVR run auto SS at 200% to fix the landscape shimmering. I also use landscape blurred setting.:salute:

 

I have always used sharp ( I like it better), and sharpen on the landscape filter (AF).

 

Just for kicks I went in and disabled sharpen on the landscape and AA, restarted the game, then re-selected them and restarted the game again.

Next mission I flew was better on the shimmering, who knows...

 

I much prefer to set my SS in Oculus software for my Rift, I would prefer Steam VR leave that kind of stuff alone for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dburne said:

 

I have always used sharp ( I like it better), and sharpen on the landscape filter (AF).

 

Just for kicks I went in and disabled sharpen on the landscape and AA, restarted the game, then re-selected them and restarted the game again.

Next mission I flew was better on the shimmering, who knows...

 

I much prefer to set my SS in Oculus software for my Rift, I would prefer Steam VR leave that kind of stuff alone for me. 

 

Sharpen defo causes more shimmering than if you turn it off and just use the landscape filters. Kinda makes the trees more shimmery for me. Different strokes of course but I like to use blurred or sharp with shapen off, and HDR. I like a nice blur personally as I find although sharpen does have its charms, things somehow seem more realistic for me when I cant really see the textures up close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to throw another hat into the ring... I've also had the constant steamVR/ lighthouse freezes. I haven't been able to nail down what causes them but it's absolutely not happening in any VR title except for IL2. I will roll back Nvidia drivers this weekend but like others have said I have a sneaking suspicion it's something in the game's code that's different. I had no issues before the 3.xx update. 

 

Also, Wolf, I'm in your exact situation. Built a very nice custom water cooled PC for this game in VR and I'm pretty disappointed with the current performance. There is no better hardware than what I currently have...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No as you're OC'D to 5.1 I believe you! :)

I'm getting good performance in the other sim now though! I'm actually relieved to tell the truth (selfishly) because a few days ago I was just a lone voice whining in the wilderness, but now as everyone else is coming forward too, I feel confident its a problem that will get some love eventually. I do have a slight gnawing feeling though that perhaps the devs should make the game a little bit less demanding, a few less planes and ground targets here and there. I think the devs will bring alot of attention to the game if they can get the performance to the levels it was before the patch, as unlike the other sim, BOS has/had the distinction of it being a fully fledged experience meaning everything from MP to the campaign was very playable.

Edited by Wolf8312

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I think I found the culprit on my shimmering and rough landscape terrain.

It would seem for some reason, Oculus Tray Tool is not applying my SS setting now all of a sudden, even though the OTT log files says it is. I tested it using the Steam VR Resolution override, and it was apparent then that was the issue.

So I have set SS off in OTT and running it at 150% so far in Steam VR.

Looks better, but now am getting some Steam VR flashing occasionally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So now at least for me, I have found if I just set the manual override in Steam VR settings to 100%, then set my Oculus Tray Tool SS to what I want in there, it seems to work quite well - much better than when I did not have the manual override selected in Steam VR. It is looking truly gorgeous again.

I think it may by default have been doing some kind of adaptive resolution thing without the override selected,  who knows.

 

Pretty pleased though now with at least how everything looks. Have flown a few Career missions this way.

Now if performance would get back up there like it used to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...