Sign in to follow this  
Sternjaeger

Hidden & Dangerous, you guys remember it?

I LUUUURVED the whole saga, the missions were completely open to different ways of completion (no silly forced path as in FPS games), you could use any gun, vehicle, uniform, equipment in game, could go all stealth or guns blazing... man I miss that sort of freedom! 

Did any of you use to play it and/or know if there's a sequel in the works?

Edited by Sternjaeger
  • Upvote 2

Yes loved it. H&D II was also very good. I fear we won't see something like that again :(

I think the team which was doing it is out.

Great games, you will find some of those devs here: http://www.warhorsestudios.cz/

As for the original studio: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/10/illusion-softworks-mafia-3/

But I don't think any of the original H&D devs are still there, I expect all of them to have joined other studios long ago.

Regarding a sequel: developer of Op.Flashpoint/Arma is Czech as well (Bohemia Interactive) so they may have picked up some of the ex H&D devs.

Although Arma III is more multiplayer focused, I think it's the spiritual successor of H&D. The single player content is actually really cool, and the headtracking implementation for infantry combat is good.

cool, thanks man :-)

What other games would you guys suggest? I've seen some nice ARMA II mods and Red Orchestra II which are not bad at all..

Well such a good and verstaile game is inposibole to find i m sorrry.

H&D2 was a trully remarkabale game.

But i would sugest to tray red orchestra and darkest hour mod for it and Red orchestra 2. They have same unic futures to.

S

And lets hope sombady will make a remake of H&D2

H&D (2) Oh man. I loved it.

That multiplayer map with the square on on the end. It was epic. The mission in Korea or vietnam (where was it) with the trenches, the wooden bunkers.

Loved the sound of that Bren gun. Great stuff.

Alas, the cheats, glitches and abuses killed it for me. Way too many (young) players wanted to get a quick highscore and they ruined the game.

But I played it a lot.

I suddenly remember that map in Africa where you had to storm some airfield. Epic it was......

I do play Rising storm a lot lately. Ro2 is also on the list (same game, different maps). I hear the Vietnam mod of the game is also in the pipeline. Alas the WW1 mod is abandened.

Memories    :)

Edited by Bando

I suddenly remember that map in Africa where you had to storm some airfield. Epic it was......

Oh man I probably spent more time replaying that map than I did in the entire campaigns of some other games!

I would do unspeakable things for a new H&D game :) (That was true to the other games of course, not like other series that lost their way like R6)

yeah, or the village one, that was sooo cool! I remember using the top church as an Alamo, with the sniper on the top of the bell tower and the other chaps downstairs, both inside and outside: one of the soldiers on the outside ran out of ammo for his Sten and I threw him ammo and grenades from the bell tower window, I mean, how amazing is that?! 

I event tried to play the missions with one man only, starting with nothing but a knife and/or silenced pistol.. you basically had to rethink your whole strategy! What a game!

Ah, great game! Although it was also buggy and had awkward controls....but a great gaming experience! Just looked at my DVD collection and yes, HD2 is still there :)

H&D would have been my first introduction to military first/third person shooters, I always remember the first mission in the original game, Me and 3 other British commando's have just arrived by parachute it's dark and pouring with rain, and we have to capture a bridge. Crawling across the bridge with my Lee Enfield sniper rifle and dodging passing trains.   Happy days!!!

I just talked myself into it !! and downloaded the link, I'm just hoping now that it will install and play on a modern OP system ?    { thanks for the link ]

Cheers. JM.

I remember those games so fondly that I dare not replay them.

• Upvote 3

Played Hidden and Dangerous, plus HD2 absolutely to death! lol...

I loved the freedom and depth of play, the planning and conduct of the mission. The ability to choose operatives and equip them... brilliant stuff.

I really wish they would bring out an up to date version, still in WW2 of course but with modern graphics.

• Upvote 2

I loved the freedom and depth of play, the planning and conduct of the mission. The ability to choose operatives and equip them... brilliant stuff.

You can get this kind of gameplay in good Arma 3 multiplayer coop or pvp missions.

(But I know it's different with a single player game.)

Rpg-style inventory, you can have pre-set roles for each player (AT-dude, MG dude, MG ammo carryboy etc). Or you can have a mission where your unit starts out with just light equipment, then you capture a supply depot, or vehicles, jets, helicopters, boats etc.

The combination of in-game proximity voice (like in Dayz) and radios with variable channels works really well for big operations.

There are some PvP roleplay missions, one is brilliant and features hostage negotiations between two low-tech factions, while a third faction (small squad, high tech) wants to crash the party and rescue the hostage. And because of the rpg style inventory, the hostage takers can have one of their soldiers dress as the hostage to bait the rescue squad...

But you need to find a cool online community that fits your temperament (from casual to more mil style). I only know of one, which is swedophone, not applicable for most of this forum.

Edited by Calvamos
  • Upvote 1

You can get this kind of gameplay in good Arma 3 multiplayer coop or pvp missions.

Rpg-style inventory, you can have pre-set roles for each player (AT-dude, MG dude, MG ammo carryboy etc). Or you can have a mission where your unit starts out with just light equipment, then you capture a supply depot, or vehicles, jets, helicopters, boats etc.

The combination of in-game proximity voice (like in Dayz) and radios with variable channels works really well for big operations.

There are some PvP roleplay missions, one is brilliant and features hostage negotiations between two low-tech factions, while a third faction (small squad, high tech) wants to crash the party and rescue the hostage. And because of the rpg style inventory, the hostage takers can have one of their soldiers dress as the hostage to bait the rescue squad...

But you need to find a cool online community that fits your temperament (from casual to more mil style). I only know of one, which is swedophone, not applicable for most of this forum.

lol why, what are they like? 

Swedophone, I meant swedish speaking only :)

Just showing the visuals of a night time airstrike (player controlled Hornet) and some tracers... yes they look like tennis balls ;).

Video link should start at 16:43 but it may be buggy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UU6bg9UUpVhYN-136DsSGT9Q&feature=player_detailpage&v=x0jfZIOFczE#t=1006

But I have to say if you want the single player experience of H&D, it's not here... it's more like H&D transferred to multiplayer.

Edited by Calvamos

I have played the Armed Assault series from the beginning as well as the original Operation Flashpoint, played them all for years. They are still light years away from the original WWII concept.

Arma 3 is excellent, but I'm still not impressed by it's futuristic setting, but again, it's not WWII.

Yep, I meant that in a loose sense. I was mainly replying to the "is there a sequel in the works?" and then I got a bit excited and wrote a long post... ;)

Arma 3 multiplayer is not H&D but I think you can find many things that appeal to an H&D fan. But you depend on real people instead of AI. And if you are a new member in an Arma community, you will probably start out as a soldier, someone else will be doing the mission planning.

Edited by Calvamos

Good stuff, believe it or not I haven't even seen that thread, thanks for the link.

I really enjoyed I44 on armaII. I'll be looking forward to its eventual release!

Yeah, H&DII and the expansion as well! Great times! Wasn't it the same guys who made Vietcong and the Mafia series?

Illusion Softworks 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusion_Softworks

Their new studio has a kickstarter up now, it's for a medieval realistic-ish RPG. :-)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1294225970/kingdom-come-deliverance

Looks like it'll meet its pledge goal easily. I usually use kickstarter only for exciting projects that look like they won't meet their goals. 20£ is not much though, might get this.

Edited by Calvamos
  • Upvote 1

Their new studio has a kickstarter up now, it's for a medieval realistic-ish RPG. :-)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1294225970/kingdom-come-deliverance

Looks like it'll meet its pledge goal easily. I usually use kickstarter only for exciting projects that look like they won't meet their goals. 20£ is not much though, might get this.

And... 20£. I love medieval age and I'm a RPG fanatic (yes, I'm a Nerd). You should try "The Witcher 2" if you like that atmosphere (even if it's fantasy).

Edited by 6S.Manu

Yep I have that game :-) And the trailer reminded me of the Witcher as well.

About RPGs, there's Divinity: Original Sin coming out this spring, I've tried it and think it's really promising. Old-school (Baldur's Gate type) but still feels fresh thanks to some genre innovations/evolutions, creative touch, nice artwork and good writing/quests, IMO.

And this december we get Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity, but you probably know about that already.

Edited by Calvamos

Off topic again: Arma 3 roleplay pvp missions can be fun :-) (English language in this bit) and with a bloody conclusion too.

http://youtu.be/dkZ6wT73zxQ?t=9m6s

Should start at 9:06

(UN side needed to guard civilians; this player is with a rebel army who needed to get through the UN roadblock to kill their mission target)

Edited by Calvamos