AtomicP

Trains, planes and rockets

I'm a recent convert to BoS, having played IL-2 1946 and CloD as well as countless other flight sims over the years. But messing around with a free flight yesterday in the Yak-1 made me really smile. 

I attacked an armed train with cannon and rockets, got a few holes punched in my plane and then landed successfully to watch the train explode in the distance. Then I thought I'd test the playing back of the track, not expecting too much (previous IL-2 games have had finicky track playback). I watched as I missed more often than I hit the train and then, the moment that made me smile: The train locomotive wasn't some cardboard cut-out with textures instead of geometry. It was a carefully modelled loco with moving parts and it looked amazing!

So this is a note of thanks to the hard working developers, artists, testers, producers, and anyone else involved in this amazing sim. Amazing job!

• Upvote 8

There are some elements which illustrate outstanding attention to detail. Steam emitting from individual machine gun holes in a locomotive is just one.

I hit an arty position the other night with a strafing run. It seems I only managed to get some ammo smouldering. The position was still active. I began to wing over for another pass, all the while keeping     

the site in my view. Suddenly a secondary explosion just rocked the site and demolished it. Wow! How immersive is that? 

I’m a new pilot to this sim also, very impressed! 

• Upvote 2

It's cool to shoot up a convoy of trucks, and while some explode immediately, others will have smoke coming from their engine, and will blow up later on.

Once I flew all the way home and was on final approach when I got the message that I had destroyed an Opel Blitz truck.

Great stuff.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SCG_Ovrshoot said:

Suddenly a secondary explosion just rocked the site and demolished it. Wow! How immersive is that? 

Yeah, I had exactly the same kind of a moment - only that my first thought when I was seeing secondaries was that one of my wingmen is finishing what I started with accurate cannon or rocket fire. Only after a while I figured out it was the secondary explosions.

Edited by CrazyDuck

I think the ground action in this sim is the best I've seen. At least in detail. I do wish it were more varied, more random and much more of it. But still, I think that will come as the program matures and computer systems gain in performance.

These are two of my favorite "wow" moments that I've witnessed personally. I've never seen either one repeated unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Sambot88 said:

Did that train derail because it bugged out on that hill or did you just time the weapons fire perfectly? That second video is just silly though... crossing guard skills at maximum!

I agree that the level of detail in this game is pretty amazing. They've really nailed a lot of the rare and unexpected stuff that keeps a sim from being boring.

One thing I've always wondered though, is do we get instrument failures randomly or can they only come from being shot? I know that's a little off topic but its in the same vein.

I was lining up to shoot the train when it went off the rails. I think it was because of the sharp decline of the hill on the Lipino map. I actually got a message from Blacksix asking me where to find the location so it could be fixed. My one little contribution to the IL-2 world.

The lead car that was hit by the train obviously did not practice "Stop, Look and Listen" at that RR crossing. What are the odds? One stinking train on the whole map and that joker gets hit by it. Bad luck that.

Pretty poor collision modeling actually.

Yes, I know it's ground objects and in the grand scheme of the sim that is a pretty petty little thing, but still,  the car would simply have been pulverized and brushed aside by the train, and the train certainly would not have had multiple explosions.

It has pretty good brakes too...  LOL!

2 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Yes, I know it's ground objects and in the grand scheme of the sim that is a pretty petty little thing, but still,  the car would simply have been pulverized and brushed aside by the train, and the train certainly would not have had multiple explosions.

No doubt. I'd love to see the train plow thru the car as if it wasn't there. Maybe down the road. So to speak. 

One particular detail I like, is that you can actually supress AAA and other artillery, if you fire in their direction and have a near miss. Sometimes you will see the crew run away from the gun and it will become inactive for ~30sec and then it will resume firing.

Edited by Finkeren
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Rjel said:

I think the ground action in this sim is the best I've seen. At least in detail. I do wish it were more varied, more random and much more of it. But still, I think that will come as the program matures and computer systems gain in performance.

These are two of my favorite "wow" moments that I've witnessed personally. I've never seen either one repeated unfortunately.

I agree that it could be more varied on the ground, but to me it's verging into ARMA 3 territory, which models the ground war really well, but is a bit lightweight in the air. ARMA 3 also runs quite poorly on anything but high-end systems too, whereas I can run BoS pretty well on my ancient AMD Phenom II 955. 

Before I forget, is there any way to hide the mouse cursor when replaying a track? It'd be nice to do when capturing video. 

12 hours ago, AtomicP said:

Before I forget, is there any way to hide the mouse cursor when replaying a track? It'd be nice to do when capturing video. 

Yes, I just found it last night. Press the "esc" twice.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

And the train would have collided with the tree growing out from the tracks.

10 hours ago, Ghost666 said:

Yes, I just found it last night. Press the "esc" twice.

I'll give that a try, thanks. 

I thought it must be on the camera key bindings list, but couldn't find it.

I think I mentioned this somewhere in another post,,,, but do trains, cars, tanks, boats, have a blast radius when they go up?   In old il2, you had to be careful how close you were to a vehicle when it blew up. Especially fuel cars!  

Presently you can go as far as flying through the explosion of a train with no risk...

i think damaging blast radius is a must for trains... and other vehicles of course....

43 minutes ago, spartan85 said:

I think I mentioned this somewhere in another post,,,, but do trains, cars, tanks, boats, have a blast radius when they go up?   In old il2, you had to be careful how close you were to a vehicle when it blew up. Especially fuel cars!  

Presently you can go as far as flying through the explosion of a train with no risk...

i think damaging blast radius is a must for trains... and other vehicles of course....

I've been killed a number of times by exploding locomotives >:(

5 hours ago, 216th_Jordan said:

Really!!!!??   I’ll be feet away from one and I get engulfed with flame and debris  but nothing.... well, guess I’ll see if I can get a boom on qmb or something

5 hours ago, 216th_Jordan said:

I also have met my end this way many a time.

To me, the most impressive thing about it is not simply that the detail is there. We've come to expect that. It's the fact that, even on my 4 year old laptop, I don't get a slide show as all this is going on. I run this on high without a single slowdown. There's some pretty good coding going on here.

• Upvote 1

On 4/24/2018 at 1:04 PM, spartan85 said:

...follow the white rabbit.

Hmm...a bit cryptic. I hope that means something good, like we're heading for Wonderland.

Got to love how the rest of the convoy just ignore the demise of their leader and just drive around the wreck.

On 4/21/2018 at 4:43 PM, Finkeren said:

One particular detail I like, is that you can actually supress AAA and other artillery, if you fire in their direction and have a near miss. Sometimes you will see the crew run away from the gun and it will become inactive for ~30sec and then it will resume firing.

Whoa What!  Can you backup that calm with a video or a link, I never seen it happened.  I doubt anyone can try suppressing object with near misses without hitting em.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sambot88 said:

I've tried this multiple times and can't tell if its working or not.

Now we know, it just generally impossible without hitting em....

I'm Sorry, but it true.  It just never happen that way at all...........

Edited by Junjun_Nikurasu
Typo

5 minutes ago, Sambot88 said:

Well realistically I'm sure it happened plenty in real-life and it wouldn't surprise me if it was a feature. Crews would take cover at a certain point. The fact that I haven't seen it in game could mean that my aim is just terrible, or that it is not in the game. Someone else probably has the better answer.

Never fear, I'll get to the bottom of this.  I've watched a lot myth-busting and a recent fan of Adam Conover to never ignore this mystery, I'll try it myself and see what might happen.

Righty then, where do I start.......

Well after countless of attempts, failed landings and ditch landings (all of em failures to get close to the crew, so that the plane gunners could get a close-up firing) I decided to: CHEAT!:

Cheating_tank_no.1.thumb.png.1f83c78bbee624e26e7bde246605315e.png

Cheating_tank_no.2.thumb.png.4d220ee95285fb077e40bf77cb67444d.png

As an editor its what more convenience that way:

Cheating_tank_attacking.thumb.png.3991340385064283b924ee001f0105bb.png

I'd spray em with near miss bullets, but nothing stopping them from firing.

Cheating_tank_attacking_with_HEs.thumb.png.e516262fbcdcb162038de94fc4876f6e.png

Then I used HE shells near misses and they scattered from the gun.

Cheating_tank_at_rest.thumb.png.c69ebcc364108db3322bf16c0e1db9e9.png

Then I sat there for as long as I can (Don't expect me to know how long).

Finally after all that, it don on me:

Spoiler

The_Answer_Crew_doing_Ballet.thumb.png.2174dcfc7a6a12c94630ba50221a33c1.png

The crew can't get back to their gun, because their crew mate are stuck in the sandbags doing BALLET!!!

7 hours ago, Junjun_Nikurasu said:

Whoa What!  Can you backup that calm with a video or a link, I never seen it happened.  I doubt anyone can try suppressing object with near misses without hitting em.

It's been a feature for ages.

The other day in a quick mission, I am flying an IL2 and I am going to make an attack on a train. On my attack run I notice there is a bridge ahead of the train, so I say 'why not' and put a bomb on the bridge. The train went up onto the abutment, and then crashing down into the ravine, going all accordion style as it piled into the bottom. It was awesome. Not the first, but one of many 'wow' moments I've had in this sim.  

6 hours ago, Sambot88 said:

So it would seem that near misses from larger explosions do cause a sort of suppression! Good stuff junjun, and thanks for the official answer Luke.

If Luke the tester says "It's been a feature for ages."  Well then there no point to denied it but still, my hutch is: "Hit the gun with bullets just once and or use High explosives near misses and then they will always scattered from the gun."

I guess that all I can do up to this point, but it been pleasure cracking down to the facts.

Update!

20 hours ago, Sambot88 said:

It just so happens that I've been fiddling with a new video series that I may or may not follow through on, and during a career mode airfield attack mission that I thought was particularly cool-looking we may find the evidence we seek! In it you can clearly see that the first AAA gun was not suppressed by the scads and scads of shells I threw in its direction. However, we would need someone more familiar with the actual game mechanics to say if this is a feature or not.

It is a cool idea either way.

So yeah, I was doing that "Swoop" from the video.  When I 'd landed at Lapino field and then sat there:

Abandoned_Guns.thumb.png.4e39ccab1355280a4eb072d4c04aa0b4.png

It was like 45 mins up to an hour and 15 mins:

Abandoned_Guns_(destroyed).thumb.png.20e73e75c0632ae404afd6c663faa4f9.png

I didn't hide the Gui hud, but at least it show where the guns are.

And also, this when I was testing my Kawasaki version of the Bf109:

Kawasaki_(bf)109_top.thumb.png.12eec6d3427d2250623e48ab19e3e12f.png

Kawasaki_(bf)109_sideview.thumb.png.9f2c48fc35539c9eecf9fd038e7e4fd4.png

65_26.jpg

See the similarities.

On 4/20/2018 at 2:25 PM, Rjel said:

https://youtu.be/12Cj0CHVA40

https://youtu.be/jqcWryTmYVc

Those were cool to watch. :cool:

Wheels

Edited by wheelsup_cavu
Had to rework the text in the code box to include both video links.

21 hours ago, Sambot88 said:

I'm afraid I don't. :( But I sure am curious as to what you mean.

Sorry for that last one.

No need to understand the Kawasaki thing, just worry on how I've waited for mins and hours on ends for the gun crew to return to their guns (which it will never happen).

Have fired at AA gun, glimpsed the crew scattering and noticed it only returning fire a little later, after a short 'suppression' time, obviously I missed destruction of AA gun on first pass, but scared them, small touches like this, I find very immersing and add to a sense of a 'living battle' 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

It is 100% certain that gun crews do run away when the gun has not been destroyed and come back later.  I would not like to swear that you don't have to get at least one bullet or shrapnel fragment on target to cause it.  I have certainly recorded tracks where I have seen them scatter after one minor hit on the vehicle part of a vehicle mounted gun.

4 hours ago, Sambot88 said:

I'm afraid I still don't quite follow but this could be due to my having some kind of comprehension issue, or a translation error. But please allow me to try?

1.)  In my video there's a searchlight and a gun right next to each other. I destroy the searchlight and light up the area around the gun but it is likely I didn't actually hit the gun with any bullets. This was totally unmodded single player career mode play in BoM, Ironman, 3 missions in.

2.) Your series of screenshots describe a situation in modded quick mission play where, near as I can tell, near-misses from rockets have caused a ground crew to run away from the gun and not return. You also suppose that hitting the gun with even one bullet would cause the same effect.

3.) The developer has stated that this is a feature.

Therefore, if taken at face value, the logical conclusion here is that I did not actually hit that AAA gun with a single bullet, though I did destroy the searchlight and throw enough bullets at the gun to scare any reasonable person (though perhaps not to suppress them?). This seems reasonable to me, as you can only simulate so much and requiring nearby HE or a direct hit from one bullet seems like a reasonable abstraction to have in a game like this. I am always happy to see these things refined! Besides, my aim needs work even if my low-flying is pretty good.

I took that video for giggles (giggles are good!) and it just happened to have an example of the behavior in question and so I shared it. I did not take it to test the behavior. Therefore it has limited scientific value in the first place and I am more keen to listen to you and Luke for now. I think I've wracked my brain on the comparison for as long as I can but I'm a pretty literal person so this stuff is hard for my brain. How'd I do?

Oh good you'd ignored the Kawasaki thing, what a relief.  It was shameful display on my part.

My bad.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Junjun_Nikurasu said:

Oh good you'd ignored the Kawasaki thing, what a relief.  It was shameful display on my part.

My bad.

Nothing shameful about it. That's a cool plane and plenty of us are hopeful for an eventual pacific scenario!

4 minutes ago, Sambot88 said:

Nothing shameful about it. That's a cool plane and plenty of us are hopeful for an eventual pacific scenario!

Well that great too...

Because the'res more where that come from:

Otaku_Kawasaki_Bf109.thumb.png.0dbfabab05ad5578aea19c5aa6fc3b8d.png