spartan85

Does anyone still get stuttering with many planes in multiplayer?

HUD's tendency to eat FPS was well known before, however what shocked me was to see how it also causes these 0.5 second microlocks every time a new chat or tech chat message pops up.

:drinks:

Mike

• Like 1

On 9/1/2018 at 9:55 AM, LAL_Trinkof said:

I have stutters for quite some time now. 

It drove me to stop playing the game, as the career mod have the worst kind of stuttering. 
i would suggest to not waste time : If you search on the forums, a LOT of people have these issues, and spent A LOT of time trying everything. 

Lately I spent more than 30 hours just trying everything, from resinstalling my whole system, monitoring perf of each component, tweaking any parameters from NVIDIA, Inspector, the game etc.… (basically the work the dev's should have done), and the overall conclusion is there it is not hardware related. The problem is almost certainly INSIDE the game engine and the way it interact with windows and use resources. 

Even on the lowest settings , recomended by Jason I had stutters, and the most funny thing is I had even more than on my regular settings,  While running at 120 FPS.

Actually stutters appears for me on very specific moment : The first "Puff" of a canon fire on an enemy, any time I cross trees at less 100 metersheight, and When there is more than 6-8 planes Or ground object in the same bubble. 

My specs for the fun : i74590k @4Ghz / 16gb RAM DDR3 / GTX 970 4Gb/ SSD 500Gb (almost empty) …

For me Buying any new product from the IL2 series is a no go from now, and I will not recommend it to anyone until a real fix is there. I am a huge supporter of the work of 777 on the serie since day 1, and bought everything until now. My main source of anger is I paid for a product WHICH WORKED FINE , and not anymore due to game update, and the developers, despite all the good I think of them, do nothing about it.

I really hope I will see you again in the skies one day, but the solution is sadly not on me  ! 

S!

Your system is very similar to my. I have set the Vsync in the Nvidia control panel to "Fast" and it helped a lot with the stutters I initially had since Version 3.001. I can't remember if I have the Vsync ingame set to on or off though,I'm not on the gaming PC right now.               

I'm using the "Fast" option, too, but had to switch to a full-screen to get it to apply.

Just for the record: It's not that stutters occur all the time. It's very specific things that cause stutters, at least to me.

After having gone back to very basic settings as listed here...

I'm having a stable 100+ FPS on my G-Sync i2500K + GTX 970 system wherever I fly, crowded or not.

However, this "block-stuttering" as I call it still happens no matter what.

So far I can isolate two things that cause stutter:

1. 2D Overlay activity, such as new chat message, new techchat message (+icon), new "Translator Icon" message.
    This block-stutter is exactly the same you get when you toggle the mini-map using the "M" key.
    Exactly that stutter. Every time any message pops up or disappears.
  2. Any object coming in LOD0 (closest) distance for the first time.
    This can be a plane, a vehicle, a tree, just a ground texture... anything.
    The first time LOD0 is loaded, the same block-stutter appears as if you'd open the mini-map.

Now comes the strange part:

It doesn't happen all across the game.

I could not observe this issue offline at all so far.

On very, very basic test missions online I cannot see it either.

However on any real online mission, any online server, the issue occurs.

Always.

No matter what.

Crowded areas or empty space.

Always.

Mike

Edited by SAS_Storebror
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@SAS_Storebror:

I did observe the very same behavior - I've got similar system specs, but of course do not push graphical setting too much (Preset High, 2xAA, landscape blurred,

sharpen, clouds high, mirror medium, grass and landscape normal, 60 fps, no fullscreen, no vsync).

The stuttering issue was almost gone when 3.001 was published and Jason's tips applied - but now it seems this issue came back with the release of 3.005.

Again, I really appreciate the great work their doing for us, but for now it would be a good idea (and my advice) to concentrate on these issues. Anything else

doesn't make too much sense to me for the moment.

Cheerio

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, -IRRE-Therion said:

@SAS_Storebror:

I did observe the very same behavior - I've got similar system specs, but of course do not push graphical setting too much (Preset High, 2xAA, landscape blurred,

sharpen, clouds high, mirror medium, grass and landscape normal, 60 fps, no fullscreen, no vsync).

The stuttering issue was almost gone when 3.001 was published and Jason's tips applied - but now it seems this issue came back with the release of 3.005.

Again, I really appreciate the great work their doing for us, but for now it would be a good idea (and my advice) to concentrate on these issues. Anything else

doesn't make too much sense to me for the moment.

Cheerio

Yeah.... any new DD, I hope the stutter issue will be quoted fix in progress, but Sadly it never happens.... 

More : for those having such issues, have you seen that the fastest the plane goes, the more stutter there is at low alt ? (Probably LOD loading issue) I really fear this issue will become critical.with fast planes and low level operation of the late war.

I strongly believe that fixing and stabilizing game enfile should be a priority especially for bodenplatte.... how an engine struggling to process more than 16 planes in game will do justice to an opération involving thousands in a few hours ?

9 minutes ago, LAL_Trinkof said:

I strongly believe that fixing and stabilizing game enfile should be a priority especially for bodenplatte.... how an engine struggling to process more than 16 planes in game will do justice to an opération involving thousands in a few hours ?

Yep - and to think of those calling for bombers for bodenplatte - it's going to like a slide show, but of course in VR! No, seriously - this issue is affecting all online players,

whether they have a high end system or a medium system like I have - you won't have automatically less trouble with the newest graphic card.

• Like 1

Little offtopic but anyway, do you guys noticed in multiplayer when zooming in at fast moving plane  it movement looks not continues , jumpy not fluid hard to focus at. It could be  just tech limit of current LCD  monitor, or some kind of bad settings. 

Edited by 307_Tomcat

i get some short freezes when opening the stats page and sometimes the map page and longer freezes when tabbing out of the game (but only in online mode, offline is fine)

40 minutes ago, 307_Tomcat said:

Little offtopic but anyway, do you guys noticed in multiplayer when zooming in at fast moving plane  it movement looks not continues , jumpy not fluid hard to focus at. It could be  just tech limit of current LCD  monitor, or some kind of bad settings. 

Stop looking for excuses because you rammed someone the other day 😆.

Edited by 307_Banzai
  • Haha 1

I had a stutters from the last update. And with more planes fps went down.

It doesnt matter which settings I have set.

And now the last weekend (the last 2 days) When I played the same server and there was huge amount of planes, the game run perfectly smooth. So I am quries why. 

It seems that something changed on the server side. Bcs my settings in game is still the same, and hardware too.

Any problems with smooth running of game seems to be just in short time after update releasing, and when time goes on and maybe some server updates then fixes all the problems. 

So I wish as low updates for the game as possible 😄

3 minutes ago, 3.IAP_Vasilij said:

I had a stutters from the last update. And with more planes fps went down.

It doesnt matter which settings I have set.

And now the last weekend (the last 2 days) When I played the same server and there was huge amount of planes, the game run perfectly smooth. So I am quries why. 

It seems that something changed on the server side. Bcs my settings in game is still the same, and hardware too.

Any problems with smooth running of game seems to be just in short time after update releasing, and when time goes on and maybe some server updates then fixes all the problems. 

So I wish as low updates for the game as possible 😄

do me a favor, try some quickmissions in online and offline mode and tell me if you notice a difference in performance if you have the time. thanks

My system has had this exact stuttering issue only online with ten plus planes nearby or when I look around with trackir. I spent months going into the server sitting a minute waiting for planes to spawn to test different system settings and overclock settings trying to fix this problem.  I know the end result will be different for everyone, but these are the settings that removed *the majority* of the stuttering.  I will also add as others have mentioned, this issue has been ongoing for YEARS and yet the developers have not fixed it. They need to crack down on this problem within the game engine/code because its a problem that affects many users. 

Try these settings and yes, disabling vsync and using 4k resolution textures does help reduce the problem the most.

P0v8FA3.jpg

sSQQqR7.png

Reducing shadows and mirrors will improve fps, but I quite enjoy the detail of them.

EDPLfsY.jpg

Also I set the grass quality to 0 in the config file.

Q2MFn67.jpg

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Upvote 2

S!

Also experiencing stuttering online. Just enough to notice it. Also for some reason bomber cockpits cause a FPS drop for me.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Thanks for sharing your settings @Geronimo553:friends:

While not all of them seem to be related at first glance, I'll certainly give them a try and see what I get on my system.

:drink2:

Mike

I hope it helps, I completely understand the headache of stuttering you deal with and how nine times out ten the game stutters in the middle of a dog fight throwing off your plane thus death.

• Upvote 1

I get the stutters only when its busy , berloga is near impossible for me , my gripe is it was fine a year or so ago.  i5 4690 @3.5      and a  GTX 1060   6 gig.

maybe my cpu is abit crappy?

2 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

I hope it helps

Marvellous!

Your settings work much better, a really big improvement!

Only thing I did not apply was FXAA, all other settings used were like yours and the stuttering is almost gone.

Sure, a tad quirky at times when you move your head fast with TrackIR, but the massive block-stuttering has been gone in my today's test.

Thank you so much! :friends:

:drink2:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Somewhere in the forum someone mentioned that having fullscreen selected helped with the stuttering. I am unable to find the thread that was in, but it seemed to help eliminate the few micro stutters I had.

I also seemed to find that mirrors, shadows, and clouds, in that order of most affecting to less, seemed to slow frame rate.  

Actually I've had fullcreen enabled all the time until I started fighting the "block stutter" issue, and one of the measures applied to eventually successfully fight it was to disable fullscreen, which also follows Jason's recommendations.

A day and another test later, I can still report back that @Geronimo553's settings seem to have cured the block stuttering for me.

Can't thank her enough.

Mike

Edited by SAS_Storebror
gender issue fixed
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Actually I've had fullcreen enabled all the time until I started fighting the "block stutter" issue, and one of the measures applied to eventually successfully fight it was to disable fullscreen, which also follows Jason's recommendations.

A day and another test later, I can still report back that @Geronimo553's settings seem to have cured the block stuttering for me.

Can't thank him enough.

Mike

"She" is happy to help! I am also happy my months of editing game settings/configs and wanting to explode things in a ball of fire have not been in vain as it has now helped others. =p

Also try adjusting your camera smoothness to atleast 75 and up to 100. Anything under 75 smoothness seems to cause stuttering when looking around with trackir.   Its found in the camera tab, I have my smoothness set to 80.

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

"She" is happy to help!

Oups pardon:blush:

Just edited my post accordingly.

12 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

try adjusting your camera smoothness to atleast 75 and up to 100. Anything under 75 smoothness seems to cause stuttering when looking around with trackir

Great hint. Will check and report back when I'm back home at my gaming PC.

Mike

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Oups pardon:blush:

Just edited my post accordingly.

Great hint. Will check and report back when I'm back home at my gaming PC.

Mike

Being inherently lazy and playing across DCDoh, Clod and BOS that all require differing levels of "stuff" with TIR ive taken to just altering the "speed" factor "between 0.5 and 0.7) - probably largely to do with the curves set initially but, as a by product, Ive found this can possibly help with the jitters in toning down some of the more extreme shifts in view.  Possibly. 

For those who have Nvidia cards, you can go into the Nvidia drivers 3D Setup parameters. Some of them can improve the smootheness of the stuttering at low fps, like rendering frames in advance and use a triple memory buffer. You have to try, and the optimum is a combination of ingame and Nvidia parameters.

Nothing will replace a powerful graphic board, but a good parameter setup will make best use of the existing hardware.

Edited by IckyATLAS

It only happens when you have a player or players with high pings on the server. Before 3.01 they would just rubber band in the air. Now when you encounter them you get this instead or a little of both the stutter and the rubberband. High frame rates make it more noticeable, that's why it seems that guys with strong systems are mostly experiencing this.

You can knock yourself out changing graphics settings it won't help, unless you are having issues in SP as well. Believe me I've tried. It's also the only MP game I get this issue. It's either the server or the netcode. 

In the meantime, hope the devs find the cause and we get a fix. 

Edited by StickMan
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

try adjusting your camera smoothness to atleast 75 and up to 100. Anything under 75 smoothness seems to cause stuttering when looking around with trackir.   Its found in the camera tab, I have my smoothness set to 80.

Thanks again for the hint.

I have tried different settings yesterday and ended up with a smoothness of 50 (was 0 before).

It's a trade-off between the natural feeling of instant movement when you turn your head, and smoothness in the actual representation of movement in the game.

At 75 or more, the head tracking delay was too much noticeable for my impression, feeled like rubberband to me.

7 hours ago, IckyATLAS said:

go into the Nvidia drivers 3D Setup parameters. Some of them can improve the smootheness of the stuttering at low fps, like rendering frames in advance and use a triple memory buffer.

Sorry to say but that's completely unrelated to the reported issue.

The stuttering reported here has nothing to do with overload on the GPU.

6 hours ago, StickMan said:

It only happens when you have a player or players with high pings on the server. Before 3.01 they would just rubber band in the air. Now when you encounter them you get this instead or a little of both the stutter and the rubberband.

Sorry again but that's unrelated at least to my issue, too, as it also happens when I'm the only one on the server and I have a very constant ping to my server of about 20 milliseconds.

Mike

On 9/1/2018 at 2:55 AM, LAL_Trinkof said:

I have stutters for quite some time now. 

It drove me to stop playing the game, as the career mod have the worst kind of stuttering. 
i would suggest to not waste time : If you search on the forums, a LOT of people have these issues, and spent A LOT of time trying everything. 

Lately I spent more than 30 hours just trying everything, from resinstalling my whole system, monitoring perf of each component, tweaking any parameters from NVIDIA, Inspector, the game etc.… (basically the work the dev's should have done), and the overall conclusion is there it is not hardware related. The problem is almost certainly INSIDE the game engine and the way it interact with windows and use resources. 

Even on the lowest settings , recomended by Jason I had stutters, and the most funny thing is I had even more than on my regular settings,  While running at 120 FPS.

Actually stutters appears for me on very specific moment : The first "Puff" of a canon fire on an enemy, any time I cross trees at less 100 metersheight, and When there is more than 6-8 planes Or ground object in the same bubble. 

My specs for the fun : i74590k @4Ghz / 16gb RAM DDR3 / GTX 970 4Gb/ SSD 500Gb (almost empty) …

For me Buying any new product from the IL2 series is a no go from now, and I will not recommend it to anyone until a real fix is there. I am a huge supporter of the work of 777 on the serie since day 1, and bought everything until now. My main source of anger is I paid for a product WHICH WORKED FINE , and not anymore due to game update, and the developers, despite all the good I think of them, do nothing about it.

I really hope I will see you again in the skies one day, but the solution is sadly not on me  ! 

S!

I stopped flying as well, as i do multiplayer only.  They did mention changes to netcode incoming for next release.  We'll see if that helps at all. I spotted this way, because my view would stutter in direction of planes only.  The more stutter the more planes in that direction. Hope restart flying soon.

1 hour ago, TunaEatsLion said:

I stopped flying as well, as i do multiplayer only.  They did mention changes to netcode incoming for next release.  We'll see if that helps at all. I spotted this way, because my view would stutter in direction of planes only.  The more stutter the more planes in that direction. Hope restart flying soon.

Sadly the problem is not related to the netcode.... the stutters are also present (and worst from my experience) in career mode.... 

Interesting information @LAL_Trinkof, didn't know about the Career Mode being affected so far (I never used it personally either).

This sheds a diffuse light on the issue.

Not only that there's user suffering from the issue while others don't (a squad mate with Windows 7 and Nvidia 750 card has no issues, while I did).

It also isn't separable online/offline, cause offline it happens in career mode but not in quick missions.

Funny, in a way...

Mike

57 minutes ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Interesting information @LAL_Trinkof, didn't know about the Career Mode being affected so far (I never used it personally either).

This sheds a diffuse light on the issue.

Not only that there's user suffering from the issue while others don't (a squad mate with Windows 7 and Nvidia 750 card has no issues, while I did).

It also isn't separable online/offline, cause offline it happens in career mode but not in quick missions.

Funny, in a way...

Mike

Yeah.... the issue is worrying, because it clearly come to the game engine itself, and how it interact with some specific hardware and OS.... and the game engine is more than ten years old.... and was not initially designed by 777 ..... and the stutter problem is not new, it has been at least two or three years since first appearance, coming and going depending on updates without anyone under standing where it exactly come from ..... 

Worrying ....

7 minutes ago, LAL_Trinkof said:

coming and going depending on updates without anyone under standing where it exactly come from

I'm not in 777 Studios' shoes, but as a software developer in real life, let me say that in my world such an issue would be on top priority and no further release would make it to a rollout unless such kind of issues have been solved.

This type of issues can be a showstopper and the longer you leave them undealt with, the harder it will be to eventually get them under control.

The typical kind of business killers.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAS_Storebror said:

I'm not in 777 Studios' shoes, but as a software developer in real life, let me say that in my world such an issue would be on top priority and no further release would make it to a rollout unless such kind of issues have been solved.

I can confirm this too - in our business it is even worse! Not only further release would be freezed, but the team would live in hell 'til the problem is found

and the issue is resolved. That's for sure.

17 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

I have tried different settings yesterday and ended up with a smoothness of 50 (was 0 before).

It's a trade-off between the natural feeling of instant movement when you turn your head, and smoothness in the actual representation of movement in the game.

At 75 or more, the head tracking delay was too much noticeable for my impression, feeled like rubberband to me.

Well I'm just glad you found the happy medium between to much stutter and very little.  😃

20 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Sorry to say but that's completely unrelated to the reported issue.

The stuttering reported here has nothing to do with overload on the GPU.

Sorry again but that's unrelated at least to my issue, too, as it also happens when I'm the only one on the server and I have a very constant ping to my server of about 20 milliseconds.

Mike

I'm with you here Mike. The issue I have doesn't really have anything to do with GPU or frame rate. I can have a steady 60fps and see this problem. I think some people are confusing the issue that some of us are having with frame rate issues or other performance related issues that people sometimes struggle with. It adds to the confusion over what might fix it.

So far, no settings seem to have an impact here. None that I've tried.

It does definitely have to do with the number of players within the sphere that you occupy in the server. That's about it.

• Upvote 1

From what I have seen, given a good connection at my end and a good server connection, it is the players with less than optimal connections (not necessarily ping) that will jump around.  We have pilot in our squad with a slow connection, and I can always tell who he is, cause he is the one jumping around a bit.  Meanwhile, everyone else in the air is doing fine.

On 9/27/2018 at 9:29 AM, =GM=GJL2 said:

Anyone have tried if the 3.006 netcode update will fix the stuttering issue in MP a little bit?

Hopefully I'll have enough time to test it out in various situations over the next month.

On 10/5/2018 at 9:06 PM, TunaEatsLion said:

Hopefully I'll have enough time to test it out in various situations over the next month.

There is no change for me with the new net code. 

Even when I get rock solid 60FPS (Vsync on) and my GPU workload is around 70%, when I'm close to other players in multiplayer I get terrible stutters.

I hope devs are able to narrow the problem down and fix it.

After reading a lot about this issue I decided to stop trying to fix it with "the magical graphic setting", since it doesn't look to be related to any graphic setting in particular.

On 10/15/2018 at 9:49 PM, E69_Chipi said:

There is no change for me with the new net code. 

Even when I get rock solid 60FPS (Vsync on) and my GPU workload is around 70%, when I'm close to other players in multiplayer I get terrible stutters.

I hope devs are able to narrow the problem down and fix it.

After reading a lot about this issue I decided to stop trying to fix it with "the magical graphic setting", since it doesn't look to be related to any graphic setting in particular.

This super long-term issue must have something with the game engine,there's no any other solution could fix it utterly unless dev put more efforts to update the engine. Hopefully they can do it since they said they will do more performance optimization in the next develop cycle.

On 9/1/2018 at 3:58 PM, AeroAce said:

To me it is very strange how big the performance increase is for turning off the hud. It is kinda counterintuitive to me how much power it eats.

Wow, it made a difference. Still not quite there but closer. In VR I gained around 5fps but a lot less stuttering when turning my head.