Sign in to follow this  
USAMiguelLara

WOW WOW WOW!!!!

Well,

Today I finally had the chance to see what all the fuss is all about.... and I am so glad that I decided to Preorder and find out by myself.

I have Rise of Flight, FSX with lots of scenery add-ons, DCS FC3, DCS Black Shark 2 and IL2 COD with TF 4.0 Mod so I have a quiet a few sims to compare with and let me tell you, the first experience I had flying my first 20 minutes playing around the little map and the 2 planes included so far left with a really good taste in my mouth, wow!!!

I can't point what it is but it feels so like you are actually flying a plane (I think since I have never piloted one myself), don't get me wrong IL2 COD with TM mod is great, but I really believe that this simulator will be so much better, at least for my first impression.

Sure there are some glitches here and there, but this is only in Alpha stage an I am already impressed, can't wait to see what the final version will be like :-) ...

The only thing is.... I really hope they provide us with some different kind of maps that are not all full of snow and white, I almost hurt my sight when looking down when in flight, so bright down there :-P ...

Anyway, I really like what I am seeing here so far... Big thumbs up for the developers.

See you guys in the sky.

By the way, is that condensation building up in the cockpit's glass? and is it evaporating away when the air blows it off of the glass? wow :-O

Edited by MXMiguelLara
  • Upvote 3

It's just imperfections in the glass and the light refracting through it. Still cool effect.

Unsure about the maps, but there certainly is the possibility for modded maps which can be utilized and if good enough they can be introduced as official. But since this is focusing on the winter operations of Stalingrad then snow and more snow is to be expected. Perhaps a smaller map with some green will be introduced but I suspect a full on spring or summer or fall map will be additional, hopefully with additional planes to make everyone want to purchase it.

Just remember, it's early access so any bugs/issues/etc encountered be sure to report them! This ensures a solid and wonderful experience for all of us on it's official release day when we're going to recieve a 99% complete product. I say 99% because there's always inevitably a patch or two immediately after a product is released even when it's released digitally.

The next few months will be interesting, but the release day is what I anticipate most and am really looking forward to. Any bugs/issues/whatever I can help find and get resolved before then will just make the final product that much better for all of us, so that's what I go digging for and truly what this early release allows us to do. Bug hunt, find issues, and offer suggestions to make this product we paid for a product we will truly enjoy and be happy with - that's the beauty of early access.

Edited by FuriousMeow

I also played for the first time tonight and I have to say I was very impressed as well! Since it's still in Alpha, I was fully expecting to run into major bugs, even preparing myself for the possibility of disappointment due to the game being too buggy to play at all, like other Alphas I've played, but none of those things happened! Everything seems very solid for an Alpha build. I hope at some point I can help the team by reporting some problems, but so far I have nothing to report! 

One thing I noticed after having a crash while trying to take off... and naturally deciding to fire my cannons out of frustration... are those... ricochets?!

RAEG.jpg

Nice to see some more people with that ' O frickin' hell' feeling when they get this sim, welcome!

Regarding bugs, I've yet to see one; lots of missing features as can only be expected with an alpha, but so far no bugs.

Richocets from ground attacks are cool, as are the plumes of snow thrown up by cannons; I can't wait to seriously tear up some convoys in the IL-2...

• Upvote 1

I am also super exited already about the game. Nice to see people are as exited as me. Once evrything is dilaled in I am quite sure this game will be my favorite together with Rise Of Flight. I can't wait to get the Il2 and the Stuka for some serius ground attack. :cool:

I am also super exited already about the game. Nice to see people are as exited as me. Once evrything is dilaled in I am quite sure this game will be my favorite together with Rise Of Flight. I can't wait to get the Il2 and the Stuka for some serius ground attack. :cool:

Good time to get out there and practice the ground attack with the Lagg.

If we can get proficient with that thing flying it untrimmed like it is, we ought to be aces doing it with a better trimmed plane :).

I am doing somewhat ok with the cannons and machine guys, the bombs though - I swear those tank drivers just laugh their butts off at me every time I make a pass at them!

Nice to see some more people with that ' O frickin' hell' feeling when they get this sim, welcome!

Regarding bugs, I've yet to see one; lots of missing features as can only be expected with an alpha, but so far no bugs.

Richocets from ground attacks are cool, as are the plumes of snow thrown up by cannons; I can't wait to seriously tear up some convoys in the IL-2...

I think we're seeing the benefits of Battle of Stalingrad being built on a well matured engine with the Digital Nature engine having had its issues largely worked out in Rise of Flight. This runs very smoothly for an Alpha production... what we're seeing is, as you say, a lot of features that need to be added and a bunch of content but the fundamentals are right there already which is great news.

Good time to get out there and practice the ground attack with the Lagg.

If we can get proficient with that thing flying it untrimmed like it is, we ought to be aces doing it with a better trimmed plane :).

I am doing somewhat ok with the cannons and machine guys, the bombs though - I swear those tank drivers just laugh their butts off at me every time I make a pass at them!

Yes and I like flying the Lagg more and more. Great for ground attack practice. I have hard time destroying Tanks with the RS-82 Rockets though. But maybe I should not feel so bad since they had very bad accurcay.

From Wikipedia: "Like most unguided rockets, RS suffered from poor accuracy. Early testing demonstrated that, when fired from 500 m (1,640 ft), a mere 1.1% of 186 fired RS-82 hit a single tank and 3.7% hit a column of tanks. RS-132 accuracy was even worse, with no hits scored in 134 firings during one test. Combat accuracy was even worse, since the rockets were typically fired from even greater distances. To further complicate the matters, RS-82 required a direct hit to disable light German armor, with near-misses causing no damage. RS-132 could defeat medium German armor with a direct hit but caused almost no damage to light or medium armor with a near-miss. Best results were usually attained when firing in salvos against large ground targets".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-82_(rocket_family)

That explains why I feel I get a direct hit and still the Rocket does not penetrate the amor.

Edited by 19te.Deafbee

For taking out tanks I can pretty much guarantee a hit on tanks with bombs; just fly along the axis of the column of tanks/ trucks on a shallow dive and hit the pickle immediately the first vehicle disappears out of view under the hood.

The weird thing is that I find the 4x50Kg bombs will often destroy 2 or more tanks whereas the 2x100Kg will not. I know in theory they are the same weight but when you consider that the bomb casings accounts for a big chunk of the overall weight, surely having more actual explosive which you get with the 2x100Kg should do more damage, unless I'm missing something.

For taking out tanks I can pretty much guarantee a hit on tanks with bombs; just fly along the axis of the column of tanks/ trucks on a shallow dive and hit the pickle immediately the first vehicle disappears out of view under the hood.

The weird thing is that I find the 4x50Kg bombs will often destroy 2 or more tanks whereas the 2x100Kg will not. I know in theory they are the same weight but when you consider that the bomb casings accounts for a big chunk of the overall weight, surely having more actual explosive which you get with the 2x100Kg should do more damage, unless I'm missing something.

I wish that were the case for me, somehow my dang bombs will fall between the tanks , explode, they veer around the explosion and continue moving along, opening the hatch and flipping me the bird as they go...

Perhaps I should try the smaller bombs next time.

haha, that's one of my favorite episodes.

So is there an award for the first person who hits an enemy with a ricochet? :)

I'd go and try, but as you might have guessed, I still have to get the whole flying part sorted out first...

Yes and I like flying the Lagg more and more. Great for ground attack practice. I have hard time destroying Tanks with the RS-82 Rockets though. But maybe I should not feel so bad since they had very bad accurcay.

From Wikipedia: "Like most unguided rockets, RS suffered from poor accuracy. Early testing demonstrated that, when fired from 500 m (1,640 ft), a mere 1.1% of 186 fired RS-82 hit a single tank and 3.7% hit a column of tanks. RS-132 accuracy was even worse, with no hits scored in 134 firings during one test. Combat accuracy was even worse, since the rockets were typically fired from even greater distances. To further complicate the matters, RS-82 required a direct hit to disable light German armor, with near-misses causing no damage. RS-132 could defeat medium German armor with a direct hit but caused almost no damage to light or medium armor with a near-miss. Best results were usually attained when firing in salvos against large ground targets".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-82_(rocket_family)

That explains why I feel I get a direct hit and still the Rocket does not penetrate the amor.

If the weapon matches the description then the RS82 should be HE, we'd need the BRS variants with HEAT in order to knock out tanks with a single hit.

I doubt the RS were useful against anything but the lightest armour.

If you look closely at the rocket, it has the surface of a frag grenade, it makses sense that it does little against medium and heavy tanks. 

If the weapon matches the description then the RS82 should be HE, we'd need the BRS variants with HEAT in order to knock out tanks with a single hit.

I doubt the RS were useful against anything but the lightest armour.

Even the BRS-82 was considered too weak to take on anything but the lightest armoured vehicles. The RS-82 at most should be able to blow off a track or a wheel of an armoured vehicle, given that it has about the explosive charge of a common hand grenade.

Edited by Finkeren