Gambit21

Vehicle sized smoke columns

...appropriate for a destroyed vehicle. We currently don't have this correct? I just want to verify before I ask for it.

I haven't seen one, but away from my computer and cant remember if I've tested every smoke object.

The smallest black smoke I've seen/tested, which I use quite a bit is still pretty large.

A destroyed vehicle will often smoke anyway. I haven't seen a dedicated smoke object for what you describe though.

There is no effect to add for vehicle. The smoke is in the damage of the vehicle.

I know, but I need a persistent smoke object to place for convoys etc that were destroyed on a previous mission etc.

Thanks

You might try villagesmoke or city_firesmall, which require the "effect sustainer" (or some mechanism to keep the effect running for more than 16 seconds). See "Make Areas Smoke Due to Damage" on pg. 130 of the editor manual. 

Edited by JimTM

Thanks Jim - I use your sustainer a lot for burned villages and such.  :)

I'm thinking ahead to Bodenplatte and some things I want to do.

There are several smoke effects that I use, but I forget now their labels...I'll do some testing.

Seems to me though that we're missing that vehicle sized black smoke column - not sure which one "city_firesmall" is...if it's one I've been using or not.

I'll check it out.

2 hours ago, 1./JG54_Schneemann said:

Haven't put one in, but have you tried house_smoke? Not sure how big that is?

house_smoke is pretty small and normally meant for use with chimneys I think. I'm not sure how visible it is from the air. If it is visible, that may serve for a "long-burned-out" wreck.

Edited by JimTM

That's what I think he is going for? Not a huge blaze, but an "after the battle" type of thing. I am thinking along those lines too. Maybe the chimney smoke if it's black and visible might be good. Set two of them a few feet apart?

Tell us how it goes. I tried chimney smoke once and to me it looked like I would have needed to set it lower than I did. I didn't want to go through the trouble of finding the correct placing, so I removed it.

6 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

I know, but I need a persistent smoke object to place for convoys etc that were destroyed on a previous mission etc.

Thanks

Oups, sorry, i didn't undersdand what you want.

For information, one my teammate modified the smoke effect for our campaign, one or two years ago. We can do it without mod on. But you have to give it your new effect with the mission, and player have to install it at the right place. It had a new effect in the editor.

I'm going to ask him if he can come and give you the trick, because i don't remember how doing that.  :)

Edited by Habu

Thanks Habu - I'm going to ask Han for this addition, plus a red smoke plume to simulate smoke shells that the forward ground controllers used to mark targets for the 9th Airforce P-47's, Mustangs, etc.

If it's something each player has to install then it won't really serve it's purpose.

Hi Gambit,

22 hours ago, Habu said:

For information, one my teammate modified the smoke effect for our campaign, one or two years ago. We can do it without mod on. But you have to give it your new effect with the mission, and player have to install it at the right place. It had a new effect in the editor.

I am traveling until the weekend.

Friday I will have access to my PC and I will answer in detail.

Cordially