Sign in to follow this  
II./JG1_Vonrd

Joystick ID keeps changing

I've done a few searches on this but It doesn't seem that there is a cure (maybe I'm just missing it... I sure hope so).

My Saitek x55 throttle keeps changing from Designated "joy4" to "joy5" in the controls. I'm NOT unplugging it from it's POWERED USB hub (I know unpowered USB hubs and / or physically unplugging can [WILL?] change the joystick numerical setting... I'm not unplugging and am plugged into a powered USB hub... all was good until recently... I'm not sure if there was a Windoze update... but I thought I had them disabled... Win10 might do it regardless? )

Bottom line... is there a fix? If not can I just have a couple of backup files with one as joy4 (notepad) and one as joy5? Which file would that be? I've tried saving all "joy5" v "joy4" designations in ALL the files within the "input" folder but it only seems to work only if I change within the game GUI.

This is not only BOS... DCS is also Borked.

I would have stayed away from Win10 if I had a choice on my latest machine.

Help would be much appreciated.

Edited by II./JG1_Vonrd

Hi there ! Ive had the same problem with a 3 slotusb hub wich was powered,it handled a warthog joystick with throttle and rudder.and after a few Days it started too glitch like yours,and i had to remove one thing.Then it worked with out problem,if you can try too remove 1 thing connected to your hub and see if you can plug in it in the computer,(if you got 1 free usb port)And see if that works. 

In my experience, Win10 does like to update itself, and getting it to stop consistently is pretty tough sometimes. Once you do an update manually yourself, it usually re-sets to automatic, for example. At least that's how it works on my machine.

I had this problem as well with W10. The joy# would change almost with every restart of the PC

1CGS fixed the menu system not to ID devices using the generic Windows Joy# so I figure this problem should have dispapeared. 

You should contact support if you’re having this problem. 

DCS or other sins were never affected as they don’t use the Windows Joy#

Rise of Flight does and stil can be affected. 

An update to Windows 10 caused this problem to stop for me as far as W10 is concerned. 

I guess I have been really lucky, all the time I have had this sim I have never had the joystick ID issue ( knocking on wood).

I have three controllers now hooked up and use a powered USB Hub, even have unplugged and plugged back in a time or two, but usually they always stay in.

Not one time, has my controller ID been changed.

Thanks for the replies.

SharpeXB... I do seem to recall that they had apparently fixed this. I've submitted a ticket.

Oh, and BTW... I meant ROF... not DCS in the OP

Posted (edited)

I have this problem too in RoF. The JoyID utility that's often mentioned is probably outdated, as I find it has no effect. As a workaround, at least for RoF, you can manually replace the joy# references in an exported input profile with what the game identifies it as now and then re-import that profile.

RoF is the only flight sim game I have that has this problem, so it must have something to do with how the game code names controllers not necessarily intrinsic to Windows 10.

Edited by PandaCheese

Posted (edited)

In my opinion it's just an IL-2 issue that has always been there, because other Simulators have never showed this issue here. Often IL-2 catches the devices automatically though.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

From the reports I read on CH Hanger, any game using the Windows joy# can be affected by this.