Fang333333

We NEED to be able to revive killed career campaigns!!!!

OK so this is now the FOURTH time my career has been accidently ended. I have put so many hours in this last one that I'm really debating not using campaign until this is fixed. If I accidently hit "Finish Spectate" or don't hit restart fast enough my career ends. There needs to be a warning screen that reads "If you continue your campaign ends". We also need the ability of restarting if somehow it accidently gets put in killed status. There has been times that literally I'm flying, get a bogus one shot kill and I have the "You have Been Killed" screen ending it all...In less then 10 seconds. 

I'm a grown man literally on the verge of tears...Tears of rage...But tears none the less. 

Another 80 plus hours down the drain.

This blows.

EDIT: This problem is persistent NOT in ironman mode. Ironman mode is off

Edited by Fang333333
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 5

Oh dammit - I can understand how you must feel now. Yes, I hope there will be some sort of solution.

Though I never had it yet, it would hit me hard, like you!

• Upvote 2

Hmm...I'll check on this later.

It hasn't come up before now.

As far as the "bogus single shot" not sure what to say there. I'll bet most real life dead pilots that caught a bullet would feel the same. Are we talking AAA, getting bounced...what?

• Upvote 1

Ahhh I'm used to the dreaded "Single shot plink". I have records of it in my huge video library somewhere. Its just like the Original Halo when a sniper shoots you. Your dead before you know it  and the plane goes limp like master chief did. No sound just, Flying...Dead. Its almost kinda funny, all of a sudden the plane starts cartwheeling... I get it a lot from enemy aircraft. Its not common, but I fly a lot.

Yeah for some reason this killed career mode is really rough on me. This last time I hit "Finish Spectate" then desperately tried hitting "RESTART" "RESTART "RESTART". Nope. KIA.

The first time I have no idea what happened. It just said KIA despite me hitting restart. Then its all over. Nothing you can do. Its absolutely horrible.

I'm totally deflated right now...

Is there anyway someone can revive my career?

Hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete and kill the game as a process.  Don’t click any buttons or formally end the mission.  That should let you restart with your career intact.  

• Upvote 1

I Agree with the OP. Bug or not give people the option of playing IRONMAN. or not.  Let people play their own way. We dont need a nanny. :) 

Edited by silent_one

2 hours ago, Fang333333 said:

OK so this is now the FOURTH time my career has been accidently ended. I have put so many hours in this last one that I'm really debating not using campaign until this is fixed. If I accidently hit "Finish Spectate" or don't hit restart fast enough my career ends. There needs to be a warning screen that reads "If you continue your campaign ends". We also need the ability of restarting if somehow it accidently gets put in killed status. There has been times that literally I'm flying, get a bogus one shot kill and I have the "You have Been Killed" screen ending it all...In less then 10 seconds. 

I'm a grown man literally on the verge of tears...Tears of rage...But tears none the less. 

Another 80 plus hours down the drain.

This blows.

I can feel with you. That sucks. As a workaround you might want to try this: Copy D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data

or wherever your \data folder is located to a save place. Then repeat until you die. If you die, copy your backup of \data back to your game folder and start your mission again. This way you don´t loose all your invested time.

I know it is somehow cheating the system, but it helps to avoid the pain of loosing a well nurtured alter ego where you invested 50+ hours of sweat and tears.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I have several hours in the new Career and can't say I have experienced that yet, guess I probably have been lucky.

That certainly would suck.

I'm doing a dead is dead career, but found it necessary to "cheat" on two occasions when I suffered a gamey demise.  Once when the sun came out while flying low and my trackir went haywire.  The other when a shoulder shooting friendly gave me the good news from point blank range. 

1 hour ago, silent_one said:

Bug or not give people the option of playing IRONMAN. or not. 

Umm...that option is already there. 

I havnt had a chance to play the campaign mode yet. Im not an Ironman kind of player so having that option fits me well.   But of  a bummer if the ironman guys cant recover.... I dont know a way past that other than constantly saving the file so you can roll back.  My recommendation would be to not play ironman. If your killed stop playing.  If for whatever you need to roll back Or you decide you wanna cheat and play on so what. Its your game play it how you want. The only person this matters too is you. Use your own common sense and use your own internal moral button. You dont need a computer to keep you honest . Do you?

Edited by silent_one
  • Upvote 1

couldnt you just back up the whole folder where youre career is saved once in a while?

3 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete and kill the game as a process.  Don’t click any buttons or formally end the mission.  That should let you restart with your career intact.  

Alt+F4 would be quicker.

• Thanks 1

Maybe I'm not properly understanding something here, but surely by playing in 'Ironman' mode the game is functioning exactly as intended and as specified - and if you can't handle the consequences then obviously you should not be playing in Ironman mode!

The simple choice - if you want to be able to maintain your pilot then uncheck Ironman, accept the reduced tension-immersion that results and just enjoy the game.....OR....play in Ironman, experience the extra tension-immersion resulting in each mission, and if/when your pilot buys it, man up, and maybe be thankful you are only playing a game and not doing the real thing.

I lost my first pilot a week ago - to something stupid - losing control and spinning in while trying to follow a 109. It sucked!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit: On rereading the OP's post I'm assuming that he wasn't playing in Ironman mode and the issue is one of game mechanics in non-Ironman mode...in which case I understand the frustration/anger....or else I really am confused...?!

In either case...Feathered_IV ....shame on you....  :)

Edited by kendo
  • Upvote 2

Ok, I'm really confused. Is the OP using Ironman mode or no? If Ironman mode is off then there's obviously some bugs to work out with the Career system but if he is then the Ironman mode is working exactly as intended.

2 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

I'm doing a dead is dead career, but found it necessary to "cheat" on two occasions when I suffered a gamey demise.  Once when the sun came out while flying low and my trackir went haywire.  The other when a shoulder shooting friendly gave me the good news from point blank range. 

That first one is definitely a game issue but the second one could have and did happen in real life. Still, I'll allow the cheat :D

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

When the sun comes out, obsessively hit your view centering button, and go to the O-map while your view is in the center.  Then toss off your visor/cap, and leave the map.  Your view will be where you last left it.  Hopefully you'll not die in those couple seconds.

Edited by hrafnkolbrandr

7 hours ago, silent_one said:

I havnt had a chance to play the campaign mode yet. Im not an Ironman kind of player so having that option fits me well.   But of  a bummer if the ironman guys cant recover.... I dont know a way past that other than constantly saving the file so you can roll back.  My recommendation would be to not play ironman. If your killed stop playing.  If for whatever you need to roll back Or you decide you wanna cheat and play on so what. Its your game play it how you want. The only person this matters too is you. Use your own common sense and use your own internal moral button. You dont need a computer to keep you honest . Do you?

In theroy that's a good idea, in practice I know it wont work for me!

Many good points here. I do use the ctl alt del technique but you must know...

THIS IS NOT ON IRONMAN!

I specifically did not want that option. That's what makes this worse. My understanding is Ironman in career takes away the option to restart. I DO have the option to restart, however if the mission ends before I hit it I get brought to the "You Have Been Killed Screen". Its almost like some kind of bug... Sometimes I have restarted my mission at  the debrief and others I have not.

If you "Finish Spectate" dead you instantly kill your career. That's what happened this last time. a simple misclick and I wasted my time.

I wouldn't have said anything if this hasn't happened now 4 times, 

Thank you all for your tremendous support, I may need to try coping the data file as backup? 

I would never play a non-iron man career. That’s around 60% of my enjoyment of the career mode. But of course the people who don’t wanna lose careers should have that option, and if it doesn’t work and/or is too easy to lose a career by accident, that should be fixed.

2 hours ago, Finkeren said:

I would never play a non-iron man career. 

That's too hardcore for me lol. But more power to you!

I am going to try Sevenless advice of copying Copy D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data and backing up the career. I hope it works.

My question is where or whom do I submit this issue officially? It really needs to be fixed

Thanks again all

I have been playing my Iron Man Careers without that option checked.

I just use self discipline to enforce the Iron Man into my Careers. If I die or am lost/captured, my Career is over and I start a new one. On my 4th one now.

I guess if something crazy happens, at least I have an option to hopefully correct it should I choose to.

4 hours ago, Fang333333 said:

Many good points here. I do use the ctl alt del technique but you must know...

THIS IS NOT ON IRONMAN!

I specifically did not want that option. That's what makes this worse. My understanding is Ironman in career takes away the option to restart. I DO have the option to restart, however if the mission ends before I hit it I get brought to the "You Have Been Killed Screen". Its almost like some kind of bug... Sometimes I have restarted my mission at  the debrief and others I have not.

If you "Finish Spectate" dead you instantly kill your career. That's what happened this last time. a simple misclick and I wasted my time.

I wouldn't have said anything if this hasn't happened now 4 times, 

Thank you all for your tremendous support, I may need to try coping the data file as backup? 

So, to be clear you're only getting the option to restart at the debrief sometimes? Sounds like a bug if its not constant. I would expect non-Iron Man to continue even if your pilot is incapacitated and you drop to the menu, at least that's my understanding (I think I will have to give it a go).

41 minutes ago, dburne said:

I guess if something crazy happens, at least I have an option to hopefully correct it should I choose to.

My recommendation is to pretty much restart mission in game or "alt 4" or "ctl alt del" close the program the second you die. Do whatever comes faster. Don't give it anytime to advance to the debrief or it may end your career. DON'T HIT "FINISH SPECTATE"! We should rename that to "Finish Career".

So to add insult to injury the game will not let me restart my career. I did it once before, but now it just loads forever when I hit the restart button. I tried restarting program and computer. Not that it really matters, as all is lost anyways.

3 minutes ago, TheBlackPenguin said:

"So, to be clear you're only getting the option to restart at the debrief sometimes?"

Just now, Fang333333 said:

My recommendation is to pretty much restart mission in game or "alt 4" or "ctl alt del" close the program the second you die. Do whatever comes faster. Don't give it anytime to advance to the debrief or it may end your career. DON'T HIT "FINISH SPECTATE"! We should rename that to "Finish Career".

So to add insult to injury the game will not let me restart my career. I did it once before, but now it just loads forever when I hit the restart button. I tried restarting program and computer. Not that it really matters, as all is lost anyways.

OK Penguin, You'll think I'm crazy but heres really what I experienced. The first time my career was canceled I was in the post debrief and I swear I hit the "Restart". Instead it canceled my career (Next screen is "Your Pilot is Dead". Now I just chalked it up to me hitting the wrong button. Either way I think if your not in "Iron Man" you should not have to worry about it.

This last time I got killed rather quickly. I was in game and accidently hit "Finish Spectate". The next screen I saw was "you have Been killed"

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Fang333333 said:

OK Penguin, You'll think I'm crazy but heres really what I experienced. The first time my career was canceled I was in the post debrief and I swear I hit the "Restart". Instead it canceled my career (Next screen is "Your Pilot is Dead". Now I just chalked it up to me hitting the wrong button. Either way I think if your not in "Iron Man" you should not have to worry about it.

This last time I got killed rather quickly. I was in game and accidently hit "Finish Spectate". The next screen I saw was "you have Been killed"

I'l try a career, He-111 will be easy as I most certainly break it. That or a Stuka, all my campaigns have been Iron Man, but I will try non-Iron Man and check it out. Its possible I am misunderstanding, but I would have that non-Iron Man can keep going until you basically delete or abandon it.

1 hour ago, Fang333333 said:

For me if I die in a Non-Iron Man Mode and go back to the games main menu my career is forever dead.

Yep, that seems to the case and its probably meant to be that way. As you know it should allow restart mission up to the briefing screen; restart career after that starts the career anew. I think if you're encountering anything different I was suggest its a bug.

Yeah I  have had it where "Finish Spectate" Sends me to ended career (My last career) as well as continuing from debrief ends career... Swear I hit that "restart" button...Something isn't right about it...

I think at first glance it would seem ok to have the final Mission Debrief be the last phase to ending a career (assuming it works). However, when you think about it, this itself is actually  flawed. You have 2 buttons, one restarts the mission, one ends your career without warning.

If you hit "enter" I believe it assumes you want to save your mission and move on (killing career forever) 

What if your in a rush? You click the wrong button BAM. Career ended permanently! 

"End Spectate" when crashed kills career.

There's a lot of various combinations that can lead to disaster.

Its one simple click or mistake that could end 100s of hours of work. I mean I'm going on my 5th time here, and even if its becuase of bugs  it could easily have been fixed by having a "Warning, This Will End Your Career" screen.

Heck, if your not going "Iron Man" why would you even want the possibility of your career being permanently shut down? 

On 13/04/2018 at 8:19 PM, silent_one said:

I Agree with the OP. Bug or not give people the option of playing IRONMAN. or not.  Let people play their own way. We dont need a nanny. :) 

Yeah,  that! 

I dont understand the complaint in the OP. When you uncheck "ironman",  doesn't a "restart mission" option show in the post-mission menu? The only hassle is to fly the mission again. Is that not happening?  That could be an issue,  instead of a game feature. Why  dont you @Fang333333 try to reinstall the game?

Edited by danielprates

If playing Iron Man, no tears are shed for you.

If not, then you get an option to refly the mission in either the end mission menu or the post mission screen.  If you want to walk away from the mission then press refly and then cancel mission.  This will allow you to fly the mission again at another time.  Not hard to do. :good:

7 hours ago, blitze said:

If you want to walk away from the mission then press refly and then cancel mission.  This will allow you to fly the mission again at another time.  Not hard to do. :good:

Not hard to do once you figured it out. ;) Questions like this emerge from the lack of info and documentation on how the career mode works. Less experienced players have to rely on the experiences of more experienced players. :biggrin:

And here we are, although this was new to us recently too.

Still, ready to offer a helpful hand. :biggrin:

BTW, I am to crap to fly Iron Man so I stick with the refly option, it works better for my 3 careers.

9 hours ago, danielprates said:

Yeah,  that! 

I dont understand the complaint in the OP. When you uncheck "ironman",  doesn't a "restart mission" option show in the post-mission menu? The only hassle is to fly the mission again. Is that not happening?  That could be an issue,  instead of a game feature. Why  dont you @Fang333333 try to reinstall the game?

Hello Friends,

I understand that the forum has grown quite long so its understandable that many may have missed details.

- The career was never on Ironman.

- My most recent career was ended by hitting "Finish Spectate" accidently DURING the mission (After being Killed). My debriefing was that I am now a dead career pilot.

- My first career was ended, somehow unkown to me, as I thought I hit restart in the post debrief yet I was bought to the dreaded killed pilot screen.

- I chalked up the first incident as my own fault, despite I am still certain I hit restart...

- I think (Although I have not checked as I am still to depressed o go back again) that pressing enter at the debrief will save your career as dead as well.

As for experience goes, between the 4 accidently ended careers, I must have logged AT LEAST 200 hours. I played heavily the first hour of 3.01 release.

In my opinion, non Ironman players should not have to worry about accidently being stuck with a dead career pilot. Especially when there is no "This Will End Your Career" Warning screen. 

I'm sure many have not had this problem, but if it happens to you it is really disheartening. I am really struggling to even LOOK at my IL-2 desktop shortcut. Lol

No guarantee that it will work for you, but may want to try to recover one of your lost careers:

Otherwise I agree, there should be a 'This will irrecoverably end your career' warning message.

Edited by sniperton
  • Thanks 1

I love that people jump in as say snarky, unhelpful comments along the line of "don't play iron man" and "I only play iron man" and give advise advising the OP to do what he has specifically stated he can not do and wished he could.  OP has stated that he is not using Iron Man and didn't want to.

He also has stated that there is something about the career mode that isn't working the way he thinks it should, whether by some fault of his or by some bug in the game itself.  Most posts here have not even bothered to understand what exactly is happening or what he is doing before posting their unhelpful replies.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, sniperton said:

No guarantee that it will work for you, but may want to try to recover one of your lost careers:

Otherwise I agree, there should be a 'This will irrecoverably end your career' warning message.

Sniperton you may be a LITERAL LIFE SAVER!

I briefly reviewed this post and will give it a try. I tried restarting the career but it refuses to (Another glitch) and it is still saved on the last day I was killed... Hopefully this works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE:

WELL I AM ALIVE! I have somehow managed to live past my own "Kill In Action" day on the calendar!!!!!! There is still some tweaking that needs to be done (I want to be able to have commander status again) BUT (IT APPEARS) IM ALIVE!!!!!

Sniperton, not only have you given me the gift of immortality but I hope you realize that I may now be able to rewrite history!!!

Oh YES!

Looks like the JG21 squad will soon be getting a buttload of ME 262's in the year 1941! MUHAHA!

And all of a sudden my entire squad has become highly experienced, steeley eyed ACES! 

I'm giving myself a promotion..."Hermann Goering" will now be my official squad sneaker polisher!!!

I can travel through time now like Marty Mcfly! 

Long Live Germany!

All kidding aside, THANK YOU!

Edited by Fang333333
Update

Glad you're alive again, but thank it to Talon who found the way how to resurrect the dead. :salute:

• Upvote 1

I just want to update.

Unfortunately, the "edited" career has had some strange side effects. I have double the awards and medals. One for the dead me and the other for the alive me. The edited career also "Finished" the Moscow campaign 2 days after my revival (I was nowhere near finishing Moscow).

So I decided to continue the OTHER career (5th career) I started after the 4th one was ended. This other career has been nothing but a nightmare. Either enemy planes don't show up and its an hour bore fest, or I get missions where the computer REFUSES to let me live AND/OR it somehow thinks the mission has not been accomplished. I just spent 5 hours on a mission today (5 HOURS!) where I was constantly being raped by the computer (Everything from wingmen stealing my kills, enemy planes that I shred to pieces refusing to die and crazy 1 hit kills by the computer). Literally swarms of planes would just attack ME.

I finally got away with getting 2 bomber kills, a mission completed, and landing the plane. On the Tarmac I went to exit, only to discover that the mission was still "In Progress". I reluctantly had no choice but to concede that the computer would not, under any circumstance, let me accomplish this mission. I get to the debrief and not even my 2 kills were acknowledged. I have recordings of the mission being accomplished and the 2 VERY OBVIOUS kills.

I'm quickly realizing that career mode is still very flawed and needs major work.

Edited by Fang333333
My dog made me do it
  • Haha 1

Or, OR, you could just face the reality that death happens in a war, and take advantage of the fact that you can always take control of a new pilot and try again.