Tom_Weiss

new Spitfire MkV & MkIX Skins Uploaded (August 25th)

Great work Tom and thank you for sharing.  Regarding the black hispano sleeves on all the aircraft I saw post in the screenshots thread. Is this as it should be? The Borough of Lambeth Spit also appears to have a very blue underside. Should that not be Sky?

Sorry. That's sounds very picky. I'm not sniping. The work is excellent I just wondered. 

Is you template based on ICDP's BTW? - just checking to make sure the 4K normal map matches the lumps and bumps.

Lastly you may also want to post these up in the 4K sub section - some will miss them otherwise which would be a tragedy!

Again - fantastic artistry and thanks for sharing

Edited by BOO

Thanks !!! :)

it is ICDP template that I used to edit mine - it matches the model, it is a very good template and it made my work easier.

Lastly you may also want to post these up in the 4K sub section - some will miss them otherwise which would be a tragedy!

will do that

The Borough of Lambeth Spit also appears to have a very blue underside. Should that not be Sky?

there is a layer of dirt  there that made it darker, but I'll try to make it lighter

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Tom_Weiss said:

there is a layer of dirt  there that made it darker, but I'll try to make it lighter

Sorry I meant that the colour "sky" is something like FS36493 off the top of my head (ok ok as per a goggle search!! :-)). I think the original was a mKII and so would have had the underside in that colour (or the same as the colour you used on the prop spinner and band).

But its your work - I'm just a grateful recipient.

BTW are you the same Tom Weiss who produced the beautiful A10 snake and boss hog skins for DCS - if so Thank you for those too!!

There are some cracking skins here. Thanks. Would you ever consider doing versions that were somewhat less reflective?

:)

the weathering does make that difficult - I went as far as I could in weathering and that limits some of the specular effects thqt I can add.

the "wet" look you see from some angles is the game engine, if you download the last skin I made, you will see that effect when you contrast painted and "metallic" surfaces.

I hope the developer adds some options for us in the way the skin reflects the light.

Oooh I did download your latest Desmond Ibbotson skin and spent a considerable portion of Saturday evening with the game paused, in awe at the levels of finnesse you bring to your work. Naturally, the play of light across the different surfaces was noted. Stunning!

Thank you for the reply Mr Weiss and the insight into the perameters you're working with. Count me, alongside Boo, as a fan.

Tom,

Love the skins.  I’ve a related question and it concerns the use of different maps in the game.  Is it necessary to use these maps in order to use your 4K skins in the game? And, what’s the purpose of the different maps as I’m trying to understand this game a little better. 

Tom 

Thanks for the quick reply; however, can you explain the reason for the different maps?