IL-2: Battle of Kuban in-depth review

Hey folks,

I spent some serious time with IL-2: Battle of Kuban and particularly with patch 3.001 before I started to write my review. I decided I wanted to write a review for new players coming in or old players that were used to IL-2: 1946 so that they would have an idea of what this series is all about. I didn't want to hide the few warts that the series still has but I also wanted to put them in context of all of the great things that it does so well.

At a little over 4,500 words I think I've captured nearly all of my main thoughts and feelings on the recent final release of the title and I try and cover as much ground as possible. This review isn't so much for you guys as it is for new players coming in. In short, I think IL-2: Battle of Kuban is a crowning achievement for 1CGS and one that points towards a very bright future for the series.

https://stormbirds.blog/2018/04/11/il-2-battle-of-kuban-in-depth-review/

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the review!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7
  • Upvote 23

I'm pleased that the developers have apparently already read your review because it well illustrates their extremely clever and hard work. It's a well written, well balanced description. You really must try VR though; having said that ... your screenshots remind me how amazing the graphics look in 2D at a high resolution. If only we had VR headsets that can do it that beautifully.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Thank you all for the kind words. And thanks to the dev team for their awesome work. IL-2 isn't perfect but it is the best!

5 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Technically it's the 3rd generation of IL-2 Colin. And it's Clash at Prokhorovka. Overall a nice read.

Jason

Thanks Jason. And absolutely right, I have corrected the review on both accounts.

12 hours ago, Custard said:

Nice write up shamrock, but one comment. As a squadron leader you *can* edit flight plans.

Really? How do you do this? I know you can adjust the missions you fly but I've not been able to fly to different targets than the two already picked out.

Well done! :big_boss:

DDQWalr-c6QA1fB0AShmex5NYTHcLh6Eg5SN5DFH

ShamrockOneFiveCareer mode is easily the best new feature added and it enhances the single player experience in a dramatic fashion. This takes the IL-2 series from lackluster in single player dynamic missions to essentially at the front of the pack all in one move. Truly outstanding work!

I cannot agree more!!!! :friends:

Edited by PA_Spartan-
  • Upvote 2

Nice review! I enjoy all the content on your site, and your review of Blazing Steppe convinced me to purchase the campaign a few months back.  I would have mentioned in this review, that the ability to add mods are now possible, which adds so much more to the title.

Quick question, will you be doing a separate review for the Sea Dragon campaign that ships with the title? Curious as I enjoy reading the review written on your website.

31 minutes ago, CastorTroy said:

Nice review! I enjoy all the content on your site, and your review of Blazing Steppe convinced me to purchase the campaign a few months back.  I would have mentioned in this review, that the ability to add mods are now possible, which adds so much more to the title.

Quick question, will you be doing a separate review for the Sea Dragon campaign that ships with the title? Curious as I enjoy reading the review written on your website.

Great question. I think I might. Not so much because its something that people can choose to buy from the store and therefore needs a review but because I like to write up my thoughts on stuff once I've really played it out.

I'm only about 6 missions in right now. Loving every minute of it!

As everybody should read it .... I have taken the liberty to translated to Spanish. :music:

Hola a todos,

He dedicado mucho tiempo al IL-2: Battle of Kuban y particularmente con el parche 3.001 antes de comenzar a escribir este análisis. Decidí que quería escribirlo para los nuevos jugadores que entraron o jugadores antiguos que estaban acostumbrados a IL-2: 1946 para que tuvieran una idea de qué se trata esta serie. No quería ocultar los defectos que todavía tiene, pero también quería ponerlas en contexto de todas las cosas que si tiene muy positivas.

Con poco más de 4.500 palabras creo que expresé casi todas mis ideas y sentimientos principales sobre la reciente versión final del título y trato de abarcar todo el terreno posible. Esta revisión no es tanto para ustedes antiguos pilotos como para los nuevos jugadores que entran. En resumen, creo que IL-2: Battle of Kuban es un logro supremo para 1CGS y uno que apunta hacia un futuro muy brillante para la serie.

https://stormbirds.blog/2018/04/11/il-2 ... th-review/

¡Gracias por leer y espero que disfrutes la crítica!

9 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Really? How do you do this? I know you can adjust the missions you fly but I've not been able to fly to different targets than the two already picked out.

I think I got the wrong impression, I was merely meaning how you can edit flight plans on the headquarters screen as squadron lead. You're right is saying you can't switch targets or frag your own missions.

12 hours ago, PA_Spartan- said:

Well done! :big_boss:

DDQWalr-c6QA1fB0AShmex5NYTHcLh6Eg5SN5DFH

ShamrockOneFiveCareer mode is easily the best new feature added and it enhances the single player experience in a dramatic fashion. This takes the IL-2 series from lackluster in single player dynamic missions to essentially at the front of the pack all in one move. Truly outstanding work!

I cannot agree more!!!! :friends:

Thanks Spartan! :cool:

4 hours ago, Custard said:

I think I got the wrong impression, I was merely meaning how you can edit flight plans on the headquarters screen as squadron lead. You're right is saying you can't switch targets or frag your own missions.

Ahhh ok, I was worried I had missed out on a feature here. Still cool what the squadron leader abilities let you do and they were a pleasant surprise to me the first time I started flying as lead.

Very nice review, well laid out, informative yet succinct with all major areas covered - well done! (great pics too! :)).:good: 

...side note: noticed in your flight sim titles that you perhaps haven't played WOFF UE? You should give this a try as it is stellar and go have a look at the AI description (clicky button, "AI in detal") on the product page and also have a look-see in game. I think it is perhaps the WOFF players that have the hardest time with the AI in the IL2 Great Battles series because we know what is possible. Anyway, have a look sometime.

Edited by Redwo1f

Damn nice work Shamrock. One little thing that stood out as missing was the lack of an image for Flying Circus and Tank Crew in the Road Ahead section. But a really well thought out review. And good timing with no DD today. ;) Kudos. ~

I've recently gotten into a gift copy of BoS and loved it so much I immediately bought BoM to open up a bit more. I've got plenty to explore and keep me going, but the Kuban map looks so much more interesting and varied that, combined with your review, I doubt I'll be be able to hold out on it much longer.

Nicely written thanks.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, rodgerdavies said:

I've recently gotten into a gift copy of BoS and loved it so much I immediately bought BoM to open up a bit more. I've got plenty to explore and keep me going, but the Kuban map looks so much more interesting and varied that, combined with your review, I doubt I'll be be able to hold out on it much longer.

Nicely written thanks.

Glad to hear it! I really love all three titles for different reasons and the upgrade to the Stalingrad map has definitely been getting me out flying over Stalingrad again. But I will say that Kuban is something special and may be hard to beat just because the area that this battle took place in has so much variety. It's just a beautiful map to fly over and I'd definitely recommend getting it when time/funds allow!

• 7 months later...
16 minutes ago, DARK_SPHERE_4321 said:

so I

So I can download on more then one computer not paying it twice?

Sure. I myself have two installs on my PC. One by Steam, the other by the intaller of IC (here: https://il2sturmovik.com/download/). I can run both installations of the game, one being plain vanilla, the other full of MODs, campaigns, skins and whatnot,  but you can´t run them in parallel from one account.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/5/2018 at 12:56 AM, DARK_SPHERE_4321 said:

so I

So I can download on more then one computer not paying it twice?

Yep, multiple installs on one, and/or many computers, but you can only log on and use one at a time

Cheers, Dakpilot