Porkins

Fearless Prediction

I predict that the next game after Bodenplatte will be the Med./North Africa. I think this makes sense from a developmental standpoint for a number of reasons:

1 - It largely builds off of planes already in the sim. The 109, 202, Mustang, Spitfire, P-40, HE-111, Ju-52, BF-110, A-20, Ju-87. They would have to add variants, of course, depending on the specific time frame, but most of the air frames for a 10 plane set for this theater will already exist by the time of Bodenplatte's release. The most obvious exception being the Hurricane, and perhaps the Blenheim bomber. 

2 - Most of the German ground equipment, and some of the Allied ground equipment, will have been modeled for Bodenplatte. 

3 - Despite the amount of similar equipment, it's a location that is very different and distinct from Eastern and Western Europe. 

4 - 4 engine bombers didn't play a huge role in this theater (to my knowledge), so they don't have to worry about that issue rearing its head. We're primarily talking about lower altitude fighting with single and twin engine airplanes. 

5 - The theater would allow them to build upon the naval aspect of the game that is already in the series, and perhaps be a bridge to the Pacific. They could have carrier ops in the game if they're so inclined, without the fate of the entire game hanging on carrier ops. 

6 - I really really want it. 

• Upvote 4

The most underappreciated Mustang - the A36... please. :)

You don't think it a problem that they already have North Africa in CLoD:Blitz?   It does not make good business sense to hire a team to write  a sim on a different code base then as soon as they have done that throw it away and write your own version from scratch.     I wish they would but only after we have the Pacific as I love carriers.  I would be happy if they just did the Royal Navy carriers that operated in the med but the Germans never had any so it would not be fair.  I don't even care if they want to pretend the Germans finished and launched the Graf Zeppelin to use in the Med :-)

• Upvote 1

Porkins - not going to happen.

Tell me what you'd like to wager.

I think Italy 1944/5 would be quite a cool scenario. 

• Upvote 1

Obviously the next title after BoBP will see a return to the Eastern Front (most likely a 1944 scenario like Bagration or Kurland)

Once BoBP comes out, the community will realize just how much they miss the Great Patriotic War and how perfect a setting it is for a combat flight sim, and they will rise up and demand more Yaks, LaGGs and IL-2s.

Edited by Finkeren
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Finkeren said:

Once BoBP comes out, the community will realize just how much they miss the Great Patriotic War and how perfect a setting it is for a combat flight sim, and they will rise up and demand more Yaks, LaGGs and IL-2s.

Hehe I dont think so, but some late war scenario with late war Yaks together with American planes would be nice (perhaps battle over Hungary)

26 minutes ago, Porkins said:

I predict that the next game after Bodenplatte will be the Med./North Africa.

11 minutes ago, Leaf said:

I think Italy 1944/5 would be quite a cool scenario. 

NO. :negative:

P-A-C-I-F-I-C

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 12

14 minutes ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

You don't think it a problem that they already have North Africa in CLoD:Blitz?   It does not make good business sense to hire a team to write  a sim on a different code base then as soon as they have done that throw it away and write your own version from scratch.     I wish they would but only after we have the Pacific as I love carriers.  I would be happy if they just did the Royal Navy carriers that operated in the med but the Germans never had any so it would not be fair.  I don't even care if they want to pretend the Germans finished and launched the Graf Zeppelin to use in the Med :-)

All I'd say on that is there are multiple theater possibilities for North Africa outside of what CLoD has, and that CLoD is an entirely separate series from IL-2, despite their close relationship. IL-2 is the same sim after all that has three different games set in Eastern Europe. 

As for the carriers,  I actually think the lack of a German carrier is an advantage to the development. They don't need to mess with figuring out carrier ops like if they would have to do with the battle of Midway, for example. You'd have one British carrier to model (the ship itself, plus the intricacies of carrier landings/takeoffs) and leave it at that. But it would be an invaluable learning experience for an eventual carrier based Pacific game. I don't think this would present a huge advantage over land based aircraft in the game because the player won't actually command the carrier. 

Pretty much anything WW2 or prior does it for me. 

BoBP has the setting that arguably appeals the least to me though.

10 minutes ago, Porkins said:

I predict that the next game after Bodenplatte will be the Med./North Africa. I think this makes sense from a developmental standpoint for a number of reasons:

I think Leningrad, Kursk/Kharkov and Hungary/Romania would make more sense.

Why Leningrad? One maps and constant battles from 1941 - 1943. High reusability of existing planes. You even can introduce the Hurricane and a few other in this scenario.

Why Kursk/Prokhorovka/Belgorod/Kharkov? Synergies with map development for Tank Battles (Prokhorovka)  and publicity factor of this iconic Kursk battle ---> draws sales. Further on Kharkov was precursor to Kursk (2nd battle march 43), Kharkov was also fought over in 1941 (1st battle - october 1941) and 1942 (2nd battle - precursor to case blue may-june 1942). Expanding the timeframe into August 1943 with 4th Battle of Kharkov is also possible with Kharkov map.

Why Hungary/Romania/Ploiesti? Re-usability of US stuff from BoB and already existing stuff from BoX. Timeframe 1944/45 possible.

10 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

Hehe I dont think so, but some late war scenario with late war Yaks together with American planes would be nice (perhaps battle over Hungary)

Unfortunately any American action in Eastern Europe would involve heavies.

As to the idea of Porkins, Sicily/Italy 1943/44 could be a perfect preparation for introducing naval warfare into the sim, but it should have come instead of Bodenplatte IMHO if we wanted to get to the Pacific as fast as possible.

1 minute ago, Space_Ghost said:

The Pacific really doesn't do it for me. Just sayin'.

To each his own.  I cannot get excited about Bodenplatte despite loving the Tempest above almost all other aircraft.   I have flown over France, Belgium, Netherlands & Germany in online combat flight sims for the best part of 25 years and I am not that excited about doing it again even if it is with the best sim currently available.  At least the current maps look a lot different to Western Europe and the aircraft are different.   The best map we have now is the Kuban and that looks exactly like New Guinea so just needs some zekes :-)   I think many people want Bodenplatte because it has more advanced aircraft but I am not that sort of person, especially when many are just new versions of things I already fly.   I would be happier flying a recreation of the Spanish Civil War before the 109s arrived or Burma or the early Med war when it was mostly the Italians.   I realise that puts me in the minority.

• Upvote 4

Thankfully PTO is the plan - whining will not change that. (Jordan)

Until the day Jason gets on here and says that the needed research is just impossible to obtain, then talk of other theaters is pointless. IF anything is up in the air, it's what the PTO release will look like.

All this "what theater" talk is silly right now given what we've heard directly from Jason.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I would be happier flying a recreation of the Spanish Civil War before the 109s arrived or Burma or the early Med war when it was mostly the Italians.   I realise that puts me in the minority.

At least you're not alone.

2 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

All this "what theater" talk is silly right now given what we've heard directly from Jason.

Aye Sir, but it feeels sooo goood... :salute:

8 minutes ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

To each his own.  I cannot get excited about Bodenplatte despite loving the Tempest above almost all other aircraft.   I have flown over France, Belgium, Netherlands & Germany in online combat flight sims for the best part of 25 years and I am not that excited about doing it again even if it is with the best sim currently available.  At least the current maps look a lot different to Western Europe and the aircraft are different.   The best map we have now is the Kuban and that looks exactly like New Guinea so just needs some zekes :-)   I think many people want Bodenplatte because it has more advanced aircraft but I am not that sort of person, especially when many are just new versions of things I already fly.   I would be happier flying a recreation of the Spanish Civil War before the 109s arrived or Burma or the early Med war when it was mostly the Italians.   I realise that puts me in the minority.

I've always liked the concept of an IL-2: Legion Condor expansion with He 112's, Hs 123's, Bf109 B/C's, etc.

I realize disliking the Pacific altogether and preferring more obscure, early-war engagements (or more early/mid/late Eastern Front) puts me in a minority too. 

Edited by Space_Ghost

7 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Thankfully PTO is the plan - whining will not change that. (Jordan)

Until the day Jason gets on here and says that the needed research is just impossible to obtain, then talk of other theaters is pointless. IF anything is up in the air, it's what the PTO release will look like.

He already made a statement last year that pacific is beyond reach without meeting some business milestones. If they reach these milestones the next two years and the cash flow of their existing product pipeline will tell.

55 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Porkins - not going to happen.

Tell me what you'd like to wager.

I will wager you a copy of IL-2: North Africa. If I win and they make it, you buy me a copy. If I lose and they don't make it, I buy you a copy once it becomes available. :biggrin:

• Haha 2

@Porkins;  you make some very good points that I largely agree with.  I think an invasion of Sicily/southern Italy scenerio would be fantastic. 

You'll find plenty of people here who would agree with you.  I think it will happen.  However, when will it happen?  Highly doubtful it'll be next after Bodenplatte.  That should be the Pacific.  

I don't think there is as much money in cranking out more versions of existing airplanes. Variety is the spice of life, so they say. If I could order the devs around, i would say Pacific next, followed by Korea.

1 hour ago, Finkeren said:

Obviously the next title after BoBP will see a return to the Eastern Front (most likely a 1944 scenario like Bagration or Kurland)

I have to agree, i used to really want other scenarios and more western aircraft and now all i want is a yak9 and a la7. 

• Like 2

Just now, -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor said:

I have to agree, i used to really want other scenarios and more western aircraft and now all i want is a yak9 and a la7. 

Wait to get carrier landings with this sims physics ;):)

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, 216th_Jordan said:

Wait to get carrier landings with this sims physics ;):)

I would really love to see late war Japanese army aircraft in this sim, but if they do indeed go to the pacific that will be huge. Hopefully they can figure out the issue of finding documents on the Japanese aircraft, would be a shame if that canceled the pacific theater all together.   

• Like 1

Burma (What I would like, not ever expect!)

Edited by DD_fruitbat

1 hour ago, sevenless said:

He already made a statement last year that pacific is beyond reach without meeting some business milestones. If they reach these milestones the next two years and the cash flow of their existing product pipeline will tell.

Yes - again the salient point being that if development continues, PTO is next. 

We're not (thankfully) going to see another full eastern front release.

Jason is smart and he knows a lot of his customer base was in the 'Russia Fatigue' category. 

Time to move on.

I think a few things are possible, BoB, Med, more Russia are not among them any time soon. Talking full releases.

Hopefully Trotsky is no longer confused.

• Like 2

Yep pretty sure Jason has expressed his desire to do the PTO next after Bodenplatte, Flying Circus, and Tank Crew.

As always everything is subject to change though.

I would be all over it for sure if/when they do.

2 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Yes - again the salient point being that if development continues, PTO is next. 

We're not (thankfully) going to see another full eastern front release.

Jason is smart and he knows a lot of his customer base was in the 'Russia Fatigue' category. 

Time to move on.

I think a few things are possible, BoB, Med, more Russia are not among them any time soon. Talking full releases.

If we talk ETO I´d go Normandy and Beyond and Dieppe to D-Day. 2 additional maps and he covers 1942-1945 in 3 releases (including BoB). Also my guess is that this period has the largest chance to generate good sales to keep the boat floating and he can reuse a lot of already developed stuff. For pacific he has to build basically everything from scratch, multiple maps, etc. and that isn´t done with a small team in 2 years. 

A Normandy tactical map is completely doable - I'd be all over it.

Maps are not the obstacle where PTO is concerned - at all. ;)

What about a map/ version of IL2 that encompasses the period of time after BOB - DDay if a Pacific theatre is not going to happen. It seems like this could be done quite easily. 

• Like 1

I'm hoping for Pacific. I want to see Hellcats and Corsairs. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Gamecock said:

What about a map/ version of IL2 that encompasses the period of time after BOB - DDay if a Pacific theatre is not going to happen. It seems like this could be done quite easily. 

Yeah that is what I call Dieppe (1942) to D-Day (1944). Normandy, NW-France, Belgium and the Netherlands coast. Timeframe 1942 - 1944 is IMHO underrepresented in flightsims and has a lot of interesting stuff going on even without strategic bombing of B17s and B24s. I would definitively buy it, that`s for sure.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, sevenless said:

Yeah that is what I call Dieppe (1942) to D-Day (1944). Normandy, NW-France, Belgium and the Netherlands coast. Timeframe 1942 - 1944 is IMHO underrepresented in flightsims and has a lot of interesting stuff going on even without strategic bombing of B17s and B24s. I would definitively buy it, that`s for sure.

That time frame is when the Allies started taking the offensive doing Rhubarb raids, etc. I believe there were a lot of medium bomber raids etc on targets in France. Could be a good time to introduce the B-25  and other planes that are less represented in other sims.  ANYTHING OTHER THAN THAN RUSSIA PLS

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

PTO starting with the Skies over China, 1931. Let european theatres rest. Need the big blue with the early carrier birds, and the jungles in the rim, and the hump for the DC3 :) , and... and...

Edited by =LD=Hethwill
  • Upvote 1

Interesting to see several topics with basically the same ulterior motives appearing lately.
But it's actually an interesting topic to me just for studying opinions.

I'll quote myself and add a few lines:

On 8.4.2018 at 2:31 PM, =27=Davesteu said:

The Western Front in general has been overrepresented in aviation history for decades, so it is in aviation related videogames.
My approach to a game like this is a very historical one and I feel many interesting scenarios, gamewise and historically, are skimped on in favor of the nth "Spit, Mustang & 109".
It's actually not about those particular planes themselves, but the way of thinking about them. All of those were operational over Italy 1943-45 also for example, yet most people purely associate them with Western Front. That's just an example, and while I think Italy 1944 would be the best Mediterranean-themed scenario, it isn't among the top three I wish for.
But it's a good example for popular/
stereotypical aircraft are included, (apparently!) promising greater revenue to Game Developers (in general, not thinking about any specific studio) therefore, but never realised in favor of more stereotypical scenarios.
Maybe they themselves thought the way described up to date or actually recognized the possibilities, but followed mainstream thinking for greater revenue (something I can't blame a business for).
Maybe I'm looking at this from a wrong perspective, that's why I initially stated I'm doing it from a historical one. Maybe people/customers really just want the nth iteration of stereotypical scenarios, or they are simply narrow minded scenariowise - I don't know and judge actually, but I'm hoping for (in order):

1. Asiatic-Pacific-Theatre (in order):
    (Papua) New Guinea
    Burma¹
    Solomon Islands
  2. Spanish Civil War
  3. Northern Front*
  4. Italy (mainland)

*: I'd hope for more than just Murmansk; would be second if we didn't have three Eastern Front installments already

¹Burma and New Guinea I basically wish for on equal terms

I always wonder why so many focus on aircraft carriers talking/thinking (?) about Asiatic-Pacific-Theatre. Yes, they played an important role, especially in the CENPAC (Central Pacific Area of Pacific Ocean Areas command), but most out of those scenarios are impractical/unfavorable for a game like this.
The Battle of Santa Cruz or Coral Sea are scenariowise better suited, but I think Midway might be the best one to depict carrier warfare. It's not a personal choice - I wouldn't mind skipping on it - but fair enough it's the best option for CV-action imho. I'm after all happy to get anything Asiatic-Pacific-Theatre related, but I'm concerned we in the end are just going to see a refurbished version of IL2 "Pacific Fighters".
IL2 "Pacific Fighters" was extremely nice for its days, but scenariowise not perfect. I could cope with it for I'm highly interested in this Theatre, actually I loved it, but only later on with modding it really fulfilled my wishes.
Many are of course thinking about the Zero in terms of Japanese Aviation. Many are thinking about aircraft carriers. Many are thinking about Wildcat, Hellcat, Corsair, Dauntless & Avanger - and that's basically what "Pacific Fighters" provided. But that's really only a portion of the Asiatic-Pacific-Theatre.
Most without at least some general interest in this Theatre are losing interest in flying naval scenarios very fast for they aren't interested enough to cope with the staleness of those missions. Midway at least provides the Japanese Navy with possibility of raids against the Islands - still long distance flights over nothing but water to attack Eastern Island, which isn't much more than a big sandy aircraft carrier, or Sand Island which isn't much more than a sandy version of Novorossiysk's harbor/industrial area. You bomb them over, and over, and over again if you are bored of bombing/torpedoing the same ships over, and over, and over again.
In singleplayer you at least can accelerate time if you want to, but multiplayer you have to endure the stale scenery for let's say five sixths out of your overall flight.
I don't fabricate all this concerns, I observed it many years on myself and mostly other players.
People don't change in this regard, therefore it's a bit paradox especially those with limited interest in the Asiatic-Pacific-Theatre focus on this portion of the Theatre.

Another topic I wonder about for years now is the popularity of Normandy scenarios in flight sims. You guys know about the aerial warfare there? The scenario (and map) plays an immensely important role, it's not solely about the types of aircraft.
There wasn't that much of an aerial campaign from the Luftwaffe side. I know there was some, yet I doubt it was what you are thinking of.
But I accept your opinion/wishes.

Edited by =27=Davesteu
  • Like 3