AsusGamer21

Add a german plane: The Hs 126

Hello!

I found this plane as I was digging through some forgotten plane projects. So here it is!

History: When Germany was preparing for war in 1937, it was clear that reconnaissance planes will be needed, as this was important tactic in Blitzkrieg. Henschel saw potential in this and made Henschel Hs 122. But that plane received mixed feelings, so Henschel put a more powerfull Bramo 323 in virtually the same fuselage. The result was Henschel Hs 126. It was known for its very low takeoff distance and good low-speed handling. Production started in 1937 and ran to 1942. It was primarily used for observation in early stages of the war, but was later relagated to glider tug and night ground attack, with Fw 189 and Fieseler Storch taking its original role. In 1942 the plane was removed from service. About 600 planes were produced.

Interesting fact: Henschel Hs 126s were used in 1943s rescue of Benito Musolini. They were towing 10 DFS 230 attack gliders.

Pictures: MAY CONTAIN SWASTIKAS!

300px-Henschel_Hs126.jpg

Henschel Hs 126 startup.

12_1.jpg

Possible paint schemes for Hs 126.

Specifications:

General characteristics

Crew: Two (pilot and observer/gunner)

Length: 10.9 m (35 ft 7 in)
Wingspan: 14.5 m (47 ft 7 in)
Height: 3.8 m (12 ft 4 in)
Wing area: 31.6 m² (340 ft²)
Empty weight: 2,030 kg (4,480 lb)
Loaded weight: 3,090 kg (6,820 lb)
Powerplant: 1× Bramo 323 9-cylinder radial engine, 625 kW (850 PS)

Performance

Maximum speed: 356 km/h at 3,000 m (221 mph at 9,850 ft)
Range: 998 km (620 mi)
Service ceiling: 8,530 m (28,000 ft)
Rate of climb: 550 m/min (1,800 ft/min)
Wing loading: 97.8 kg/m² (20.1 lb/ft²)
Power/mass: 0.21 kW/kg (0.13 hp/lb)

Armament

1 × forward-firing 7.92 mm (.312 in) MG 17 machine gun
1 × flexible 7.92 mm (.312 in) MG 15 machine gun in the observer/gunner
Up to 150 kg (330 lb) of bombs

Edited by AsusGamer21
sbaglio

24 minutes ago, AsusGamer21 said:

It could be added to tech tree, but as a very low tier 1.

Did you make sure you are posting in the correct forum?

Nevertheless: A nice plane I wouldn't mind, but from the current point of view a Fw 189 would make somewhat more sense, while both are absolutely no priority to me despite I like them.

• Thanks 1

While I would prefer a Hs-123, the Hs-126 still looks like an interesting aircraft - and it would be great to have recon missions.

• Upvote 1

Hs 126 is a good plane. it was used a lot on eastern front as a reconnaissance plane

Edited by AsusGamer21

4 hours ago, Eicio said:

The hs 123 was still used until the end of the war.

No it was not, it ended in 1944 while hs126 was there till 1945. Also hs123 is way diffrent than hs126, it would make sense to have it in spanish civil war, but ostfront? It will end up like it did in real life, all would be destroyed. hs126 is the closest to po2 (which will be premium plane) so germans will have to get something as well, which may be hs126 since these 2 are similar, both were used as night bombers over stalingrad, they both have guns, they can add new gameplay mechanic which is recon/arty spotter (which devs already confiremed if i am not wrong) so it makes 1000x more sense to get 126 over an old biplane dive bomber and close-support attacker. We have ju87 for that.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, InProgress said:

No it was not, it ended in 1944 while hs126 was there till 1945. Also hs123 is way diffrent than hs126, it would make sense to have it in spanish civil war, but ostfront? It will end up like it did in real life, all would be destroyed. hs126 is the closest to po2 (which will be premium plane) so germans will have to get something as well, which may be hs126 since these 2 are similar, both were used as night bombers over stalingrad, they both have guns, they can add new gameplay mechanic which is recon/arty spotter (which devs already confiremed if i am not wrong) so it makes 1000x more sense to get 126 over an old biplane dive bomber and close-support attacker. We have ju87 for that.

thanks man

thats right

On 10/04/2018 at 4:29 PM, InProgress said:

I don't think this is strictly true. Despite being obsolescent before the start of the war, the Hs 123 was used continually to great effect on the Eastern Front. It was only phased out in 1944 due to a shortage of spare parts and the airframes couldn't be kept serviceable any longer. The Luftwaffe even asked if production could be restarted because of how useful they were, but this was not possible as the factory had dismantled the tools after production ended in 1940.

So it's not the case that all were destroyed and seemingly they were tough and agile enough that they didn't experience an unsustainable attrition rate. 

In terms of arty spotting, recce etc though, yes the Hs 126 would be a better fit for these types of roles.

However, as a rugged and accurate close-support aircraft there would be a niche for the Hs 123 to fill as it's different enough from the Stuka that, although their roles overlap, one wouldn't replace the other.

Granted, I wouldn't want to face off against an La-5FN in one, but it shouldn't be a sitting duck. 

Edited by Royal_Flight
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Royal_Flight said:

I don't think this is strictly true. Despite being obsolescent before the start of the war, the Hs 123 was used continually to great effect on the Eastern Front. It was only phased out in 1944 due to a shortage of spare parts and the airframes couldn't be kept serviceable any longer. The Luftwaffe even asked if production could be restarted because of how useful they were, but this was not possible as the factory had dismantled the tools after production ended in 1940.

So it's not the case that all were destroyed and seemingly they were tough and agile enough that they didn't experience an unsustainable attrition rate. 

In terms of arty spotting, recce etc though, yes the Hs 126 would be a better fit for these types of roles.

However, as a rugged and accurate close-support aircraft there would be a niche for the Hs 123 to fill as it's different enough from the Stuka that, although their roles overlap, one wouldn't replace the other.

Granted, I wouldn't want to face off against an La-5FN in one, but it shouldn't be a sitting duck. 

so it's best the hs123 or the hs126

Edited by AsusGamer21

Hs126, storch or fw189 is must have for germans due to po2 being developed. They need a recon plane/arty spotter. 

I assume, when russians get transport plane, Germany will get a fighter (just like russians got after ju52 for Germans). So it could be possible to get something in that time. But I don't think so hs123 woud be good choice,  we are in need of bf110F version for stalingrad and 1942 scenarios. Ju87B or D for early and late scenarios and do17.

If you really think that the soviets need a transport plane I'd much rather have an IAR 80/81 than a third version of the bf 110.

I'm not sure what more variants of the same aircraft will bring tho.

I'm curious which version you're thinking about.

Something exotic like an IAR would be great tho.

7 hours ago, Hauggy said:

I'm not sure what more variants of the same aircraft will bring tho.

Better than ANOTHER fighter. E is too weak for stalingrad and G was not there, we need 110F for 1942 scenarios, new stuka would also be cool. Ju87 D5 would give us a little more advanced and better version and B would be great for early war scenarios (1941) I am sure it would all be better as expansion, at least early stuff for leningrad, Do17, Ju87B, maybe even your hs123 + buffalo for fins? But now i would really vote for bf110 F2.

Edited by InProgress

50 minutes ago, InProgress said:

Better than ANOTHER fighter. E is too weak for stalingrad and G was not there, we need 110F for 1942 scenarios, new stuka would also be cool. Ju87 D5 would give us a little more advanced and better version and B would be great for early war scenarios (1941) I am sure it would all be better as expansion, at least early stuff for leningrad, Do17, Ju87B, maybe even your hs123 + buffalo for fins? But now i would really vote for bf110 F2.

Let me tell you that what we have now is pretty much a Stuka D(1-3)-G1 the one we already have has missing features from the release so asking for a second one before this is even completed isn't really a good idea imo, if there's a stuka the game might be missing it would be the B and certainly not the D-5 that came to the front for the battle of Kursk in summer 43 the thing is this battle isn't in game, this version wouldn't fit and it's way to similar to what we have it just had more armor no dive breaks and 2 cannons.

I really think everybody can live without any other 110 version and be happy with a E model, it's not like the Germans weren't using their outdated planes anymore I'd say two versions of that flying failure is pretty fine for now and there's surely more interesting stuff to bring in but that's just my opinion.

Also as you can see in my signature that my favorite plane to bring into the game is the I-153 because of how massively used it was in the first years of the war in the east and how it works with every map we got and also because we have asbolutely no biplanes as of now.

Edited by Hauggy

16 minutes ago, Hauggy said:

has missing features from the release so asking for a second one before this is even completed isn't really a good idea imo

yes it is, because during work on new version they ccan fix older one. Just like they did with Fw190.

D-5 that came to the front for the battle of Kursk in summer 43 the thing is this battle isn't in game

It will be soon as tank map but planes will be able to fly there too.

this version wouldn't fit and it's way to similar to what we have it just had more armor no dive breaks and 2 cannons.

and it makes it easy to make. More armor and 2 cannons is HUGE improvment that can save your life and allow you to actually kill something with your guns, especially ground targets. Also D5 had bigger wings so it's not really the same aircraft.

Bf110 F2 should be in game, not only because you can fly it but because it was there and it's not just a small historical curio. I would rather see a nightfighter tho. F4 with 3 crew but that would require lots of work on new game mechanics and AI. It's also easier and cheaper to make another version of X plane than new one. Allows devs to get more money for future projects.

I-153

well, it's a russian plane so has nothing to do with german premium plane choice or set for another expansion.

Edited by InProgress

16 minutes ago, InProgress said:

yes it is, because during work on new version they ccan fix older one. Just like they did with Fw190.

It seems to me that the devs don't have infinite time, budget and manpower for too much stuff that people wouldn't be too interested in but you could be right the G6 was quite appealing to me despite in being yet another version of the same plane sort of.

22 minutes ago, InProgress said:

It will be soon as tank map but planes will be able to fly there too.

and it makes it easy to make. More armor and 2 cannons is HUGE improvment that can save your life and allow you to actually kill something with your guns, especially ground targets. Also D5 had bigger wings so it's not really the same aircraft.

Well I'm not exactly sure what to expect from tank crew yet but if we do get the opportunity to have both planes and tank on that potential Prokorovka map then yeah I guess it might just be an interesting choice.

Also no that's the thing the flight model would have to be changed, the 3D model aswel and for what, a barely better armed version much more heavy and with the main difference being a different gunsight. I wouldn't really be interested in buying this personally if something else came out and it would be a lot of work for the devs obviously just like the 110 Friedrich would certainly be for little difference with existing models.

22 minutes ago, InProgress said:

well, it's a russian plane so has nothing to do with german premium plane choice or set for another expansion.

Well you mentionned the Buffalo that I bet will be in the future Pacific theater as an allied plane so I was thinking thats a free for all xD

Anyway if I had to pick a German plane I really miss in that sim that would be any model of Dornier 217 and then the Hs 123 as it played a minor role but since it's the only biplane the Germans had it's still an interesting choice to me.

3 minutes ago, Hauggy said:

Well you mentionned the Buffalo that I bet will be in the future Pacific theater as an allied plane so I was thinking thats a free for all xD

Fins used this plane against soviets, fins were allies of germany so it would be nice plane, just like mc202 of italy. But i am not sure if they used it on leningrad front. But would work for Finland map.

Edited by InProgress
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, InProgress said:

Fins used this plane against soviets, fins were allies of germany so it would be nice plane, just like mc202 of italy. But i am not sure if they used it on leningrad front. But would work for Finland map.

Yes I know but considering the small amount used in the Finnish air force...it's not even worth thinking about before the Pacific front imo.

Also the Finns don't have much to be doing in this game if we had a "Battle of Leningrad" then okay maybe but right here and now it sounds like nonsense to me having planes only used by Finns over Moscow and Stalingrad, Im pretty sure they only protected their own airpsace and the neightboring areas and the best we can expect is like a skin for this lovely flying coffin :) if it ever comes out at all.

Im not saying Im against it I'm saying a specific minor early war Finnish plane would make no sense at all with what we got and Im expecting it to be disregarded by the devs if they ever think about it and for good reasons.

The difference here is the Italians had troops and a squadron of MC 202 near Stalingrad unlike the Finns.

Edited by Hauggy