Sign in to follow this  
Mazikar

Question about VR

I have a VR headset but still prefer not to use it for many applications (such as this one). They each have their place imo. Maybe when the resolution and other graphical qualities are as good in VR as we enjoy now on our monitors it will be my go-to, but at the moment I'm good with monitor and TrackIR. I also play a lot of FPS type games and can't get away from the traditional mouse-and-kb with monitor. Have been doing it for 20 years and still love it as much today as that first time with Half Life.

On 10/04/2018 at 9:52 AM, engrish_major said:

I have a VR headset but still prefer not to use it for many applications (such as this one). They each have their place imo. Maybe when the resolution and other graphical qualities are as good in VR as we enjoy now on our monitors it will be my go-to, but at the moment I'm good with monitor and TrackIR. I also play a lot of FPS type games and can't get away from the traditional mouse-and-kb with monitor. Have been doing it for 20 years and still love it as much today as that first time with Half Life.

Are you sure you have it dialled in properly in terms of settings in game and out? For me in VR the game looks fantastic and unlike other VR titles I could mention, there are little if any jaggies or resolution problems. Always find it hard to understand when people say they wont play until it's perfect, as computer games have never been perfect, but one slow evolution right? If VR was invented 20 years ago with the same graphics/resolution it has now, do you not think it likely you would have played it in utter awe of how fantastic it looked? Why such an aversion to accepting that the technology has limitations and lowering ones standards accordingly? If you can play an old game like half life happily how come not BOS?

Monitor and VR are two different experiences for me, worlds apart. I will never go back simply because playing on a screen is just a computer game, whereas VR is finally an honest to god flight simulation.

I dont honestly think a monitor looks better than VR either but trying to explain why I feel like this is surpisingly difficult to put into words. Not saying I wont still love and play games in a traditional way, but flight sims will be exclusively VR for me from here on out.

26 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

Always find it hard to understand when people say they wont play until it's perfect, as computer games have never been perfect, but one slow evolution right?

The big difference is that an unsatisfying experience in VR might make you literally sick. I love VR but when, on the new version, I get a stutter when I switch on/off the HUD, it gives me an instantaneous physical discomfort which can almost be described as painful.

22 hours ago, haltux said:

The big difference is that an unsatisfying experience in VR might make you literally sick. I love VR but when, on the new version, I get a stutter when I switch on/off the HUD, it gives me an instantaneous physical discomfort which can almost be described as painful.

Yeah thats true, hard to tell sometimes if someone who is saying vr isnt ready yet actually means that he cant play it due to the motion sickness if the performance is not 90fps.

no monitor resolution can beat the experience of getting on the bogey's six, rip him apart from up close and then instinctively and purposefully try to duck the broken off wings, chassis, and cockpit glass flying right in to your face.

oh, and with VivePro the resolution is on par with monitor crew flying at 1440p.

So it already caught up.

18 minutes ago, moosya said:

with VivePro the resolution is on par with monitor crew flying at 1440p.

So it already caught up.

Well that's certainly not true. Having 1440x1600 per eye is not the equivalent to a 1440p monitor. The screen door effect is still there, though it is better than the older headsets. It's still tougher to read gauges than on my monitor, for example.

Just now, engrish_major said:

Well that's certainly not true. Having 1440x1600 per eye is not the equivalent to a 1440p monitor. The screen door effect is still there, though it is better than the older headsets. It's still tougher to read gauges than on my monitor, for example.

but you can read them without zoom. It's also about a perceived quality, i.e. how easily you can accommodate your vision and brain in processing of the picture. VR has a ton of quarks no doubt about it, but resolution is no longer a deal breaker, imho. Now it's more about the 'sweet spot', the weight of the headset, tracking, and more importantly the game engine optimization for VR.

With my Rift all that I wanted was a bump in resolution. VivePro delivered. Now I want comfort! :) After 3 hours of wearing this darn thing I have a harness imprint on my forehead the size of Texas!

• Upvote 1

I hardly notice the screen door effect or the lower resolution, the experience of being in the cockpit makes those things irreverent, and for those that say they dont fly vr because the resolution makes it impossible to spot obviously have never tried the 3DMigoto mod for VR. With that you are every bit as competitive in mp if not more so due to gunnery being so much more intuitive in 3d vr than a 2d monitor.

my favorite part of flying vr is not having HUD and having to learn how to fly all the planes by the gauges. another immersive part of not having HUD is taking damage i had my wing hit bad in MP by another plane i managed to escape, but my plane was just not flying right i suspected an aileron rod/cable had been destroyed. after landing the plane i looker at my wing and my aileron was just hanging there due to the cable being destroyed and no airflow keeping it up. i have played this game since the beginning and never once noticed that was even implemented. vr has made me see this game in a new light and i appreciate the little details so much more.  

Edited by [TWB]kmac31
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2