Sign in to follow this  
Mazikar

Question about VR

So I am a long time player of the older IL 2 games, and I still play 1946. I got burned a bit with Cliffs of Dover and thus did not pick up any further IL 2 games. Now that Battle of Stalingrad + supports the Oculus Rift though I am interested. War Thunder is cool but its solo play is lacking, and even though the VR is cool in that game I just lost interest. My burning question from the standpoint of a 1946 lover is simple. Is this version of IL 2 comparable to 1946 and is the VR well done or tacked on? This is a fairly expensive (not overly) game with all the content but worth it if the game play is there. I liked the scripted missions in 1946 but I kept coming back because of the awesome mission builders, me vs tons of enemies of my choosing. I also liked to scale my flight sim experience, some days I wanted full realistic flight and others unlimited ammo and fuel. That was the awesome of 1946 all of that was easy. If they made 1946 VR I would simply do that, the graphics are seriously dated but no matter. I might dabble with multiplayer but to be honest I am already invested in other multiplayer simulators and it would not be a selling point unless the single player is tops. It might win me over but its not my focus at this time. 

Thanks for any input! 

It's better than 46 (except for the variety of aircraft) and the VR is exceptionally amazing. Don't contemplate VR unless you have a GPU that can cope though.

I fly in VR every day and will never go back to 2D.

1 minute ago, Lensman said:

It's better than 46 (except for the variety of aircraft) and the VR is exceptionally amazing. Don't contemplate VR unless you have a GPU that can cope though.

My experience as well. They have done a splendid job with their VR implementation and it runs very good.

I fly it practically daily and have been ever since they got VR implemented into it. Have not used the monitor since the day I got the Rift well over a year ago.

I am strictly a single player guy, and the new Career Mode is outstanding.

In some ways it is similar to 1946 and in some ways quite different. Overall it is better imho.

For single play, we have the new Career Mode, a new Scripted Campaign, and then there is also PWCG which is a great tool for generating campaigns. 

No lack of great SP action now.

As far as the mission editor, it is somewhat complex and many find it hard to use or even get their arms around it. And some who do use it say it is not so difficult. I have never tried to learn it so really can not comment on using it. 

2 hours ago, Lensman said:

Would a 1060 EVGA GTX 6 gig cope with VR? I`m sort of thinking about trying it,if my finances can reach,  but not if I end up needing another new graphics card.

The transition from IL-2: 1946 takes a bit but I think it's now at the point where its almost without saying that this is now the superior title especially with the most recent additions to the series like co-op and especially Career mode.

QMB doesn't let you load up quite as many enemies right now as the old IL-2: 1946 QMB did but maybe that will change later on.

Career mode is awesome though. What a way to leapfrog from not having a solid single player experience to having the best campaign system currently available (except maybe Falcon 4.0/BMS).

I have alternated between 1946 and Great Battles. However, recent updates are making it increasingly difficult to go back to 1946. Only the large number of aircraft types and the comprehensive modding community keep it relevant. As a modern sim, Great Battles is superior in most respects. 

Most importantly, Great Battles will keep getting new content and free game improvements for at least a few years. The Bodenplatte, Tank Crew, and Flying Circus announcements show that many exciting features are coming.

6 hours ago, Lensman said:

Don't contemplate VR unless you have a GPU that can cope though.

It's not just the GPU that matters for VR. A strong CPU (preferably overclocked top-end Intel Core) is also necessary. Check the "Hardware, Software and Controllers" section of the forum for more information. 

4 hours ago, seafireliv said:

Would a 1060 EVGA GTX 6 gig cope with VR? I`m sort of thinking about trying it,if my finances can reach,  but not if I end up needing another new graphics card.

It would certainly run, but it would be far from ideal. I wouldn't recommend going into VR unless you are fully committed. 

I'm running the same card with a i5 7500. It runs great and I will never go back to 2-D. If you do go ahead and pull the trigger on it, shoot me a PM on here and I can give you my settings! Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Well VR is a great way to get a 1 to 1 scale of the cockpits. Eaiser to fly and fight but...... You definitely lose those great visuals you get from a 2d screen. Not the games fault but a lack of needed 12 or 15 k resolution and a much higher fov from the VR headset sets. Eventually when we have super high res 270  fov head sets with foveated rendering I doubt anyone would even play the game on a flat panel.

This I am telling to myself each time.... waw such clean and wonderful image on the 2D monitor, why dont I play on monitor? Why? Because I will never play on monitor anymore. :))) And dont understand how anyone can??

Its like a paint a car on paper by pencil, compare to drive the real car.  What can you do with list of paper??.....

IL2, VR and MP is definitely worth a dabble Mazikar. 

The new career mode is a lot of fun, and has so much replayability, but MP gives you a more a complete experience. SP you will find that you either have air starts or runway starts with the engine running.  You are missing out on the whole start your engine, taxi to runway and close your canopy, around a busy airfield with damaged birds landing, while you queue for take off. In VR this is some truly immersive stuff.

23 hours ago, seafireliv said:

you wrote you would play il2 1946 in VR, despite the dated graphic.

Considering this, you are fine with your 1060, i play on a 970 with "medium" settings just fine (90fps no problem most of the time) and it looks great. just know that crazy SS or AA are of the menu.

Only time i get big fps hits are missions with a lot of action (CPU!).

2 hours ago, 3.IAP_Vasilij said:

This I am telling to myself each time.... waw such clean and wonderful image on the 2D monitor, why dont I play on monitor? Why? Because I will never play on monitor anymore. :))) And dont understand how anyone can??

Its like a paint a car on paper by pencil, compare to drive the real car.  What can you do with list of paper??.....

Exactly, whenever i come across Screenshots or lets play videos i am blown away by the detail and almost photrealistic look of the game. VR clearly has its limitations detail wise.

And despite this i still cant go back to 2d, it just lags the feeling of flying. First time i flew an looked over my wing i got a little vertigo, just amazing.

Its like difference between going on vacation and watching pictures of it afterwards.

No matter how much you guys praise it, it still sounds hard to believe it`s as good as you say and worth spending the money on it. It sounds like the Holodeck the way you you guys on! ;)

Of course watching videos of people using VR shows us `2D-ers`nothing at all. I guess the only way to truly know is by trying it.

16 minutes ago, seafireliv said:

No matter how much you guys praise it, it still sounds hard to believe it`s as good as you say and worth spending the money on it. It sounds like the Holodeck the way you you guys on! ;)

Of course watching videos of people using VR shows us `2D-ers`nothing at all. I guess the only way to truly know is by trying it.

I've physically ducked to try and take cover from incoming enemy fire in a near head on. VR puts you in the cockpit in a way that is hard to describe to anyone who has never tried it. Just flying from point A to B is a thrill.

21 minutes ago, seafireliv said:

Not Holodeck (yet ;)), but still jaw dropping good. I didnt plan on spending a dime this year on new hardware. this was until my brother got his OC rift. After trying BOS in VR it took me about 0,87seconds to order my rift after i got home.

Its a game changer, simple as that. Dogfighting requires to get really physical, looking back/up is neck straining but so satifactory. Been playing PC games/sims since the 80s, this is was the first time i expirienced something truely "new" in decades.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, ironk79 said:

Been playing PC games/sims since the 80s, this is was the first time i expirienced something truely "new" in decades.

Absolutely agree.

And yes, following targets is quite making Yoga or any stretching sport just during your play. You must turn your head at full 180 degrees... Any you are not able to do this. So you must turn your body, and the rest with your neck. Simultaneously you control your plane so your feet are moving the rudder pedals, Hands on joystick and throttle lever, 

It is not comfortable. Very not. Its hard to fly comparing to track-ir lazy pilots. You will burn your calories, you will get sweaty, but.... AMAZED, in every second of such incredible experience.

Buing of VR headset was the best investment in my life...(Yeah, my dream came to the true)...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, seafireliv said:

It is absolutely incredible in the immersion department. Cockpits look amazing as well, plus you are literally inside the thing.

No way could I go back to monitor, and I have been gaming in VR for well over a year now ( January of 17).

However, this is a very subjective thing, and some folks ( typically minority) can't get beyond the lower resolution when looking out at distances.

For them, it is smart to wait for the technology to develop where the device can handle that. 
Maybe second generation, or maybe even beyond.

Got my Rift the day before 3.001 launched. Running an i7 5820 at stock 3.30 ghz. with a GTX 980 ti. Game runs very well at medium to high settings, still tweaking for eye candy/performance but think I  am close to the sweet spot for my rig. Will never go back to flat screen!  

Cheers.

It might be worth having a look at CEX https://uk.webuy.com/

They give a guarantee.

• Upvote 2

The holodeck is exactly how I felt when I first tried VR.  You are visually inside a cockpit at 1:1 scale.  I really did not know what to expect until I tried it.  It absolutely blew me away.

The biggest issue that I have is groping for controls. 

• Upvote 1

the BIG issue I cant get over are the min specs. I have a 1060 and an I5 6600K. I play at 1080P. The card just about copes with high settings and performs well with balanced. So when I see "it'll run ok on a 1060" I'm thinking "How?"

That said, for £275 used I could be tempted.

Damn you dburne, first a virpil stick (which I love btw)  now VR!!

13 minutes ago, BOO said:

the BIG issue I cant get over are the min specs. I have a 1060 and an I5 6600K. I play at 1080P. The card just about copes with high settings and performs well with balanced. So when I see "it'll run ok on a 1060" I'm thinking "How?"

Not sure what you mean by "min specs"? For VR in general or BOS VR? All i can say is, i get fluid 90fps at tweaked balanced settings with gtx970 (1060 should be 10%-15% faster) and i5 4690k @4,4ghz.

But no fancy stuff like AA or SS. Big fps drops are mainly in CPU heavy action/physics rendering.

32 minutes ago, BOO said:

That said, for £275 used I could be tempted.

Damn you dburne, first a virpil stick (which I love btw)  now VR!!

:P

Bwaha !!

52 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

The biggest issue that I have is groping for controls. 

I suggest Voice Attack, a really cool little app for all those commands like "pause", "escape", "eject", the various camera views and wingman orders, which one would not typically program on throttle and stick. The free trial version is fully functioning, but limited to a single profile with up to 20 commands. Works really well with the in-built Oculus Rift mike.

https://voiceattack.com/

p.s. the only drawback is that your significant other will definitely make fun of you, as you repeatedly speak monotone gibberish to your computer...

Edited by Nibbio

14 minutes ago, ironk79 said:

Not sure what you mean by "min specs"? For VR in general or BOS VR? All i can say is, i get fluid 90fps at tweaked balanced settings with gtx970 (1060 should be 10%-15% faster) and i5 4690k @4,4ghz.

But no fancy stuff like AA or SS. Big fps drops are mainly in CPU heavy action/physics rendering.

I meant that thing of wanting to cling to a monitor for the nice stuff versus taking the plunge knowing ill have to turn nice stuff off without actually knowing what VR adds. If I had a 1080 id be more confident that I wouldnt be playing some weird minecrafted version of BOS.  With a 1060 (especially MY 1060 with seems to under perform every other 1060 out there) I am less confident. 

10 minutes ago, Nibbio said:

I suggest Voice Attack, a really cool little app for all those commands like "pause", "escape", "eject", the various camera views and wingman orders, which one would not typically program on throttle and stick. The free trial version is fully functioning, but limited to a single profile with up to 20 commands. Works really well with the in-built Oculus Rift mike.

p.s. the only drawback is that your significant other will definitely make fun of you, as you repeatedly speak monotone gibberish to your computer...

Agree on Voice Attack.

I have a good HOTAS setup ( Virpil stick, Warthog throttle, CH throttle quadrant) so have lots of buttons and axis, and memory from using it so much really helps.

I also use VA for wingmen commands, works a champ. 

Well worth the price of admission.

I also use the lower G keys on my Logitech keyboard, can easily see them through the nose gap of my Rift. I have them assigned to wingmen commands as well, since my wife and I share the office here at home, and I can only use VA on the weekends or the evenings  when she is not in here working. She is on phone a lot for her work.

Edited by dburne

2 hours ago, DD_Crash said:

It might be worth having a look at CEX https://uk.webuy.com/

They give a guarantee.

Thankyou. I`d completely forgotten about them.

p.s. Ah no, they buy for £275, but still sell pretty expensively.

Edited by seafireliv

3 hours ago, seafireliv said:

It's a Game changer. Period. 99% of those that try VR in BOx will never go back.

3 hours ago, =FEW=Herne said:

I've physically ducked to try and take cover from incoming enemy fire in a near head on. VR puts you in the cockpit in a way that is hard to describe to anyone who has never tried it. Just flying from point A to B is a thrill.

That first mid-air collision is a real out of body experience too. You really brace for impact.

Since VR was released for IL2, there has been almost a chorus of praise for what VR does for the simulation. It really is something you need to experience.

It's great seeing more people adopting it, and having them share the same positive experiences.

Ive had my Vive for 2 years. In that time I've spent over 1500 hours in VR games, with about 800 of those in VR of IL2 since it was supported.

Best gaming peripheral I have ever bought.

2 hours ago, Nibbio said:

Thanks for the link

2 hours ago, ironk79 said:

I hope the upgrade from 970 to 1080 solves my VR issues.  I know that it won't let me put more planes in the air as that is CPU, but I am able to run with currentsettings just fine on a monitor.  It's just VR that is not good.  Anyhow, we'll see.  If nothing else I can jack up the eye candy a bit for for BOX and everything else.

I must be the odd one out as I've ditched VR after 8 months to return to the original crystal clear, jaw dropping graphics and Track IR.

Its like a brand new game.

I love my oculus for the numerous other games I play but I just couldn't nail that sweet spot between adequate performance and graphics. Perhaps its my tired eyes but it got to the point where I literally gave up and gave the game a break for several months. 

My processor (I5 4690K) was identified on the VR performance thread as mysteriously lacking compared to others and this was leading to frustration on my part, no issue with the 1070 GPU.

I was originally blown away by the immersion but that faded. My intention at some point is to upgrade my CPU and dip into VR at some point in the future but I'm firmly back in the 2D camp for now at least.   

• Upvote 1

Just now, doog442 said:

I must be the odd one out as I've ditched VR after 8 months to return to the original crystal clear, jaw dropping graphics and Track IR.

Its like a brand new game.

I love my oculus for the numerous other games I play but I just couldn't nail that sweet spot between adequate performance and graphics. Perhaps its my tired eyes but it got to the point where I literally gave up and gave the game a break for several months. 

My processor (I5 4690K) was identified on the VR performance thread as mysteriously lacking compared to others and this was leading to frustration on my part, no issue with the 1070 GPU.

I was originally blown away by the immersion but that faded. My intention at some point is to upgrade my CPU and dip into VR at some point in the future but I'm firmly back in the 2D camp for now at least.   

Damn. That`s exactly my processor.

2 hours ago, BOO said:

I meant that thing of wanting to cling to a monitor for the nice stuff versus taking the plunge knowing ill have to turn nice stuff off without actually knowing what VR adds. If I had a 1080 id be more confident that I wouldnt be playing some weird minecrafted version of BOS.  With a 1060 (especially MY 1060 with seems to under perform every other 1060 out there) I am less confident. 

I sacrifice quality for performance any day. Growing up with 90s sims even the botched down BOS graphics still looks gorgeous and like something my 14 year old me could never dream off. in the end its hard to tell and everyone has to try himself.

3 minutes ago, seafireliv said:

mine too, but still works for me. but a good OC is a must in BOS

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ironk79 said:

I sacrifice quality for performance any day. Growing up with 90s sims even the botched down BOS graphics still looks gorgeous and like something my 14 year old me could never dream off. in the end its hard to tell and everyone has to try himself.

mine too, but still works for me. but a good OC is a must in BOS

Hmm... yes my system is also overclocked. I suspect i could push it even more. Hmmm. Decisions, decisions. lol.

11 minutes ago, seafireliv said:

I'm overclocked to 4.3Ghz as well.

The thread concerning performance is below.  That said my views are subjective, its a personal thing but I got tired of chasing adequate performance and found the immersion was losing out on my need for suitable eye candy.  I fully appreciate I'm the odd one out. 

Edited by doog442

Just now, doog442 said:

I'm overclocked to 4.3Ghz as well.

The thread concerning performance is below.  That said my views are subjective, its a personal thing but I got tired of chasing adequate performance and found the immersion was losing out on my need for suitable eye candy.  I fully appreciate I'm the odd one out. I

Maybe. I`m not so bothered by eye candy as long as it looks good enough. Again, decisions.

So I played my first few quick missions in VR today. The VR in this game is spot on, I am one happy camper. For those wondering if VR is worth it.... by all means it is. Playing a flight sim without VR now would be sad. You are playing a video game on a flat screen.... you are playing a sim in VR. My second mission I was strafing a convoy of trucks and got slammed with AA fire the round impacted my glass and I actually ducked, I had to ditch just a few seconds latter. My heart rate was elevated, and my hands got sweaty.... that never happened when "video gaming" but when you "sim" in VR its the normal.

• Like 1

I tried out the Bf110G-2 last night and actually hunkered down into my armoured seat to try and avoid the gunfire. It was quite immersive!

EDIT: I just remembered I was streaming at the time. It doesn't really show how it felt for me but you can laugh at me if you like haha

Edited by Talon_

2 hours ago, Talon_ said:

It doesn't really show how it felt for me but you can laugh at me if you like haha

you live, so it worked! :biggrin:

Since getting my Rift a year ago I just can't game 2D anymore. The only exception is actual 2D games like Rayman, but if I have a few hours for gaming it nearly always is VR.