Sign in to follow this  
HBPencil

Spitfire IXe 3D model details

Hi all,

Now that the first screen shots of the BoBP Spitfire MkIX have been published in the latest DD and, along with the rest of the DD's info, I'm super excited to see it. :biggrin:

But being the Spitfire nerd that I am, I'm going to be 'that guy'and point out some features of the 3D model for the devs' consideration, sorry! :P

What I'm about to point out aren't things that would really effect the aircraft's performance but rather are just about visual accuracy, and I'm aware the screenshots are w.i.p so everything I'm about to say could be irrelevant.

I should point out that I'll provide photographic evidence if possible but Murphy's Law being what it is means it's pretty hard to find clear photos showing the pertinent details with the correct time frame and location but not so for other times and theaters!

1. The tear drop shaped bulge and the smaller elongated bulge next to it on the upper wing surface over the wheel wells appeared at the very end/just after of the war in Europe. Some Spitfire IX or XVI might have had them at the very end of the war but not around the time of Bodenplatte.

2) The dorsal nav light only appeared on the early examples of the MkIX, by the time of BoBP they were long gone.

3. The pilot's head rest also only appeared on the early MkIX examples and disappeared before the dorsal nav light from the Spitfire production line... late production MkVs lacked the head rest as well.

4. The propeller blades look a little odd, maybe due to the angle the screen shots were taken. They appear to be too thick towards the base and very blunt/cut off at the base of the blade itself, like they were taken straight from the existing Vb?

5. There doesn't appear to be a pilot's mirror, maybe this will be a mod to remove the mirror (the hemispherical type) in order to add a few more mph to the top speed? Which is something some pilots did.

6. In the DD the Spitfire is described as "F/LF Mk.IXe". If that means we get to choose between the Merlin 63/63A (for the F.IX) and the Merlin 66 (for the LF.IX) then an aperture for the fuel cooler on the F.IX will be needed in the port wing root but should be left blank on the LF.IX. The gun camera would be mounted in the starboard wing root for both types.

I'm probably preaching to the choir but in case one is unaware the F/LF/HF Spitfire prefixes relate solely to the engine and not to whether they had clipped, standard or extended wing tips.

10. The pneumatic tanks are still behind the pilot's seat yet the oxygen tanks have disappeared, so far as I can tell they both stayed there until they were relocated at the same time to the wings when the extra fuel tanks were added behind the cockpit very late in the production run.

I almost didn't mention the following points as they're of little consequence as they're not actually inaccuracies but I might as well throw them out there anyway. FWIW I think how they are now is how I think they should stay.

7. The reinforced cigar shaped cannon fairing was around at BoBP but the older, slimmer type was still quite common as well and hung on into the post war period.

8. Same goes for the old school, small rounded rudder.

9. The small triangular prong (long since redundant) on the back of the radio mast could either be there or not, less so as time went on.

Some photos:

LF.IXe, PV181, built August/September 1944, photographed late '44 (after October 5) in Europe. No wheel well bulges and dorsal light. Note the 'Rebecca' MkII beam approach antenna under the fuselage, will this be modeled?

8im0gkc.jpg

Screen shot from a film showing a 45sqn MkIX in early '45. No wheel well bulges.

Odj05Yn.jpg

LF.XVIe, RR257, built October '44, 127sqn, photographed winter of '44 in Belgium. No wheel well bulges and dorsal light.

BfXuSCO.jpg

LF.IXe, PT754, built August '44, at a late/post war display in Brussels. No wheel well bulges, dorsal light or head rest. Note the slim cannon fairings, small rudder, the shape of the prop blades and gun camera aperture in the wing root.

VCQGmIY.jpg

LF.IXe, RK853, built September '44, photographed in Holland early '45. No dorsal light or head rest, does have pointed rudder and cigar shaped cannon fairings.

KarEaRq.jpg

Fuel cooler in the port wing root of the F.IX

BxHpDZe.jpg

Spitfire IXc, December '44. No head rest and dorsal light.

MBpDPQm.jpg

LF.IXe of 443sqn, Germany, some time after April 13 '45. No wheel well bulges and dorsal light. Note the mixture of rudder types.

5ZUcMfn.jpg

LF.IXe, Normandy '44. No head rest and dorsal light.

ZwsX0QV.jpg

IXe or XVIe, late war '45. No head rest or dorsal light.

j3Zpir2.jpg

LF.XVI production line at the Castle Bromwich factory, 1945. No wheel well bulges, no head rest, oxygen and pneumatic tanks moved to the redundant .303 mg bays.
23-23-7557926480_17cc030455_k.jpg

I hope this helps,

HB

P.S. I didn't mention the IFF as I saw in the DD discussion thread that the devs are aware of it.

Edited by HBPencil
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 14

This is the level of detail expected by this incredible community.  The OP isn't at-all critical,  simply created his post because he wants the best detail and level of authenticity..... while saving them getting critique by posters of a similar level of knowledge who will no doubt be eager to spot issues. 

Great post and I too hope the devs take it onboard,  cheers,  MP

• Upvote 1

@HBPencil Your set of photographs are absolutely superb and show a lot of details. Thanks for posting them -- they are excellent. I really hope to see such attention to detail.

One photograph in particular caught my attention.

On 07/04/2018 at 6:16 AM, HBPencil said:

BfXuSCO.jpg

I can't help but look at that photo and note a few things:

1. The role of the ground crew is key to the success of an aircraft and it key to the success of an aircraft. It would be good if that ground management was somehow better represented in the game. (I don't know how, but maybe something like the aircraft ground management that exists in some 3rd-party aircraft for the civil aviation sims.)
  2. The weather is a bit damp. I do hope that the missions in BoBodenplatte will have that Autumnal 1944 feel to them. More to the point, the aircraft is verily mud-besplattered. It would be good if that was represented on the aircraft skins (I mean, look at the tail on the example above).
  3. It is also interesting the see the uniforms of the workers. Not quite what I had expected actually. And definitely with some personal variations.
  4. Finally, the chap on the left looks like he has his laptop out and is quickly checking the IL2 forums.
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, xvii-Dietrich said:

Finally, the chap on the left looks like he has his laptop out and is quickly checking the IL2 forums.

Actually yes. He's checking on the release date for Bodenplatte. "When the hell is this thing gonna be released!" he was heard to say. "I can't wait to fly the Spitfire Mark Nine. It's my favorite, bloody, kite!"

Cheers guys. I PM'd one the devs when I made this thread in order to give them a heads-up, and although he hasn't read it I have confidence that they have seen it.

Dietrich's comment about the skins reminded me that the 2nd TAF issued the orders on 2 January '45 (to take effect from the next day) which would mean BoBP will need two sets of generic skins for the Spit IX, Tempest and Mitchell. In those orders the Sky fuselage band was painted over, the Sky spinner was painted black, and the wing roundels (both upper and lower) where changed to the same style as the fuselage roundels (i.e. National Marking III, so with a thin yellow outer ring and a thin white ring between the red and blue).

HB

Bump!

Now that the IX has been released I've edited the first post, crossing out the points that no longer matter, adding one new point (no. 10) and adding another photo.

HB

Edited by HBPencil
  • Upvote 2

So there is still some major elements to correct !

Perhaps on the official release.

Have you seen errors on the Bf 109 G14 too ?

15 hours ago, Ptolemy_Soter said:

So there is still some major elements to correct !

Perhaps on the official release.

If the devs do see this thread and decide to make changes to the 3D model, I would hope they do it before the final release of BoBP as it is some time far into the future.
In regards to the G14, I know very little about the 109 so am not in a position to make any observations about it.

Cheers,

HB

On 6/5/2018 at 1:42 PM, Ptolemy_Soter said:

cheers

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:16 AM, HBPencil said:

Hi all,...

23-23-7557926480_17cc030455_k.jpg

Hi, I find this picture very interesting, a bit same like this picture:

pic.thumb.jpg.92fbd08b704fcb2c429df344c39c4f64.jpg

:) Thanks!

This is an excellent post! Good to see some fixes have been made before the launch. They will improve it for sure as we have already seen on this model and the 109!
Thank you again for this post

Hi HBPencil!

Thanks for the input!

But one question - are you sure about oxygen (and battery) that it was moved back due to ability to install a fuel tank?

On 4/7/2018 at 7:16 AM, HBPencil said:

10. The pneumatic tanks are still behind the pilot's seat yet the oxygen tanks have disappeared, so far as I can tell they both stayed there until they were relocated at the same time to the wings when the extra fuel tanks were added behind the cockpit very late in the production run.

as ive heard its moved back cause of a heavyer engine installed compared to Mk.V ?

PS: here is a photo of Mk.IX with air bottles behind the pilots seat

Mk.IX_AIR_BOTTLES.thumb.jpg.d752f13cfe08727396e61964cd543d21.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

@=FB=VikSHello!
In regards to the pilot's oxygen tanks, thanks for querying my claim as otherwise I may not have realized my error. You are indeed correct that that they were moved to the rear of the fuselage (unlike the pneumatic tanks, as per your photo), I think I fell into the old trap of confusing the IX designation with XI (the XI kept the pilot's oxygen tanks in the old position)!
I'll blame that one on the dyslexia ;)
Sorry for any confusion I may have caused, I hope the rest of the post is still of use to you.

Cheers,
HB

P.S. I'll strike through my comment about the oxygen tanks in the first post so any new readers won't be lead astray by it.

6 hours ago, =FB=VikS said:

So, updated Mk.IX model is in the latest game update - check it out ;)

Looks great! I see the headrest was removed. Did anything else change?

1 hour ago, LukeFF said:

The Gyro Gunsight became bugged actually 😅

Can't switch betweem modes.

At least me and Jizzo reported it.

10 hours ago, =FB=VikS said:

So, updated Mk.IX model is in the latest game update - check it out ;)

Awesome! I'm glad my post was of use to the devs and I appreciate you guys taking the time to look at and implement it, cheers :good:

3 hours ago, LukeFF said:

I just had enough time this morning to update the game and have a quick look at the Spit IX, as well as the headrest they also removed the bulges on the upper wing surfaces above the wheel wells, those two things being the last two on my list in the first post :)

What I find the most striking is the seriously matt paint. Especially the factory photo. You can see the shiny reflection of the lights shining on the canopy. But there are zero reflections anywhere in the paint. You can see some gloss on the exposed engine parts as well.