Thanks for the review . I own a Rift and actually want to wait until a "real" big leap happens in VR. However, the Vive Pro seems not too bad.... Can you give some details on visibility, i.e., are ground targets visible without labels on? Are all cockpit texts readable in the 109? Even the tiny ones?

I want the Vive Pro, but I just can't bring myself to support that price point when its only the headset. I was honestly hoping it would be around half the price they announced it for.

Good to hear that it works in IL2 without issue.

I'm still holding out for an LG announcement. Surely a 2.0 headset is not far off right? Something with high resolution and Foveated Rendering.

I‘ve got a question too. Does the higher resolution require per se a better hardware?

At the moment I have a rift and get the higher resolution via supersampling. Which is of course very demanding on the hardware. 

To get the same resolution on the vive pro, do i need the same ardware? Or is it less demanding because the hmd produces the better image?

17 minutes ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

I want the Vive Pro, but I just can't bring myself to support that price point when its only the headset. I was honestly hoping it would be around half the price they announced it for.

Good to hear that it works in IL2 without issue.

I'm still holding out for an LG announcement. Surely a 2.0 headset is not far off right? Something with high resolution and Foveated Rendering.

That is my line of thinking as well, I am holding out for a larger leap in technology, hoping for a Rift CV2 at some point.

For me to switch from my Oculus Rift to the Vive Pro would be a substantial investment, and I already have a pretty good investment with what I have now.

Edited by dburne

29 minutes ago, dburne said:

That is my line of thinking as well, I am holding out for a larger leap in technology, hoping for a Rift CV2 at some point.

For me to switch from my Oculus Rift to the Vive Pro would be a substantial investment, and I already have a pretty good investment with what I have now.

wait till you start seeing more of the glorious VivePro reviews.. I have a feeling you'll change your mind .. :biggrin:   I'm almost there already.. :D

3 minutes ago, moosya said:

wait till you start seeing more of the glorious VivePro reviews.. I have a feeling you'll change your mind .. :biggrin:   I'm almost there already.. :D

Nah I have too much invested in what I have now to give up on it just yet, it is exciting though to see the good reports. Makes me even more anxious for the next generation as well. Plus I want to do a new PC build this year, so will be best for me to hold off on a new VR setup for now.

I had to learn to ignore the glorious reviews in the past years while dealing with VR. It's like the point system in some sports. The best and the worst points (in this case reviews) are automatically out of consideration for me.

Thanks for testing the Pro! This pleases me to no end. However, how much of an improvement is the resolution with IL-2? I assume spotting is 1.7x better? What about aliasing issues with planes in front of clouds?

9 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

Ordered!

In Europe it´s sold at 879€ including standard shipping. Price is 726€ and 152€ is taxes.

I have one Vive base station v1.0, so I hope it is enough for a seat experience.

BTW, I am selling my Rift with Touch and 2 sensors, anyone around Spain I can give a good price. Send me a PM if interested.

I'm glad we left you some. :biggrin:I reckon you'll get mine. I haven't heard a peep from HTC since I ordered on the 19th.:blink:

48 минут назад, scrapmetal сказал:

I haven't heard a peep from HTC since I ordered on the 19th.:blink:

Canceled my order from HTC for same reason, and ordered from Besbuy today - already shipped now and supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

Edited by Balapan

2 hours ago, scrapmetal said:

I reckon you'll get mine.

:lol:

I think they will respect the order. So it means I will wait at least 15th days. I will let you know when mine is shipped.

Edited by chiliwili69

So, if I may ask the owner of Vive Pro,  how are we looking on framerates.  Is it taxing existing hardware not to be enjoyable overall with IL2/DCS?

6 hours ago, II./JG1_Kadin said:

So, if I may ask the owner of Vive Pro,  how are we looking on framerates.  Is it taxing existing hardware not to be enjoyable overall with IL2/DCS?

It depends on video card you have, I'm not sure if VR SLI works in IL2 (I do enable SLI in IL2). With my 2 x Titan Xp in SLI, I have no performance issues. I also have super sampling set to 2.0 (whatever it is called IL2 config).

Edited by I./JG53_BlackJaguar
  • Thanks 1

Ordered mine, most of my gaming is IL2 90% of the time and Aerofly 2 and Prepar 3D are 5% each, so will make a good report once I get mine.

And trust me if I dont like it I will say it here and return it, so this wont be a review based on how It should work after spending $1,200, but in how does it really works.

And if I tell you guys it is amazing , its because it probably is.

I have a PC that should be able to run it, so if performance sucks in my PC with IL2 , I will also let you guys know.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Ordered mine, most of my gaming is IL2 90% of the time and Aerofly 2 and Prepar 3D are 5% each, so will make a good report once I get mine.

And trust me if I dont like it I will say it here and return it, so this wont be a review based on how It should work after spending $1,200, but in how does it really works.

And if I tell you guys it is amazing , its because it probably is.

I have a PC that should be able to run it, so if performance sucks in my PC with IL2 , I will also let you guys know.

motoadve, I look forward to seeing your feedback. I'm thinking about making the step up to the Vive Pro from the Vive, but I'm certain I'll have to upgrade my video card from my current GTX 1060. I'm especially eager to find out how the Vive Pro gets along with your 1080 Ti.

• Like 1

A 1080Ti will be more than fine for the Vive Pro. We only will need to decrease SS a bit (from 2.0 to 1.7 or 1.5 in SteamVR for example)

The CPU will be as loaded as with the Vive/Rift, the only deference will be the load to the GPU. So CPUs will still be the bottleneck for top GPUs.

We still don´t know the internal SS used by Vive Pro when we set SS=1.0, but if that value is similar to the Odyssey we can use the comparison table shown at this post:

8 hours ago, I./JG53_BlackJaguar said:

With my 2 x Titan Xp in SLI, I have no performance issues. I also have super sampling set to 2.0 (whatever it is called IL2 config).

If you use SteamVR to set SS, could you post some screenshoots of the resolution reported  by the SteamVR window when you set the slider to SS=1, SS=1.5 and SS=2.0?

Just to know what is the internal SS over the physical display.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

A 1080Ti will be more than fine for the Vive Pro. We only will need to decrease SS a bit (from 2.0 to 1.7 or 1.5 in SteamVR for example)

The CPU will be as loaded as with the Vive/Rift, the only deference will be the load to the GPU. So CPUs will still be the bottleneck for top GPUs.

We still don´t know the internal SS used by Vive Pro when we set SS=1.0, but if that value is similar to the Odyssey we can use the comparison table shown at this post:

If you use SteamVR to set SS, could you post some screenshoots of the resolution reported  by the SteamVR window when you set the slider to SS=1, SS=1.5 and SS=2.0?

Just to know what is the internal SS over the physical display.

Thanks for the insight, chiliwili69! I think I'll be entering the market for both the Vive Pro and a 1080 ti, when the prices of both soften a bit.

All,

In a moment of irrational consumerism I was going to bite the bullet and order one myself today as well but both Vive.com and BestBuy are showing them out of stock and backorderd. Hopefully that's a good sign that they are selling well.

I have a pretty extensive Oculus setup myself with 4 sensors, touch controllers, wireless gamepad, extended cables (both USB and HDMI with HDMI booster), wall mounts and even a second whole set of Oculus Touch Controllers new in box plus that dedicated 4 port USB 3.0 card sitting inside my gaming rig. If I do bite the bullet and pick up a Vive Pro, I wonder how much I could sell all of that for....

Madmatt

Edited by Madmatt

On 5/4/2018 at 9:19 PM, scrapmetal said:

I reckon you'll get mine.

Hey!, my Vive Pro has been shipped today from Eindhoven (Netherlands). Estimated delivery by next Wednesday 11th-April. :lol::lol:

The problem is that due to work/travels I will not be able to play until the weekend of 22-April :huh::huh:

PD: I also recognise that it was an impulsive buy in a moment of irrational consumerism, but in 50 years (or probably less) I will be on my grave remembering the nice virtual flights I had.

Edited by chiliwili69

Newegg still has them in stock but not the starter kit which I would need. Damn...decisions decision... My better (smarter) half already said I could get it if I wanted.... Of course that simply means she will take the value of whatever it is I get and demand I get her something twice as expensive next month....

Madmatt

5 minutes ago, Madmatt said:

but not the starter kit which I would need

I didn´t get the starter kit since I am not going to play other games than Il-2 and some few demos. I know what the Touchs are but I don´t need that.

You can buy a spare v1.0 base station for 150$ (This is what I did in Dec-2017).

Later this year you will have new base stations v2.0.

chiliwili69,

Because of the other VR games I do play, i would want the controllers and 2 base stations so I can do Room Scale. I also have a pretty extensive Oculus Library full of games that I would need to use the 3rd party app ReVive in order to play. That's a slight concern of mine as well.

Madmatt

30 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

Hey!, my Vive Pro has been shipped today from Eindhoven (Netherlands). Estimated delivery by next Wednesday 11th-April. :lol::lol:

The problem is that due to work/travels I will not be able to play until the weekend of 22-April :huh::huh:

:o:Well, I've been spamming HTC with irate support messages. No sign of life from them since 19th. I'll wait for online retailers to restock and then I'll cancel with HTC. Enjoy my Vive in the meantime.:joy::dance:

1 hour ago, chiliwili69 said:

I would have to beg to differ a little, there is currently no hardware that is more than fine for VR in what we do ( combat flight simming).

And no doubt the Vive Pro will be even a little more demanding on the hardware.

I so look forward to the day we have powerful enough systems to run these flight sims in all their glory at a steady 90 fps. At least hoping that day will come at some point.

Maybe next generation Intel and next generation Nvidia, we can only hope.

You have a very nice rig, I look forward to hearing of your results in real world performance with the Vive Pro.

I have this year marked down for a new build myself, just a matter of when in the year to go for it.

Btw, how is your performance in VR on Kuban with your system? I would be most curious what kind of framerates you are seeing in the new Career Mode in Kuban ?

Edit - guess I was remembering wrong, I see in your sig you have a 4790k, for some reason I thought you were running 8700k...

Edited by dburne
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Madmatt said:

chiliwili69,

Because of the other VR games I do play, i would want the controllers and 2 base stations so I can do Room Scale. I also have a pretty extensive Oculus Library full of games that I would need to use the 3rd party app ReVive in order to play. That's a slight concern of mine as well.

Madmatt

Do we even know that ReVive works with Pro?

On 4/4/2018 at 6:22 PM, ICDP said:

Redcoat, I look forward to your own feedback on the Vive Pro as you have experienced this issue and will be able to instantly tell if it is fixed.

Alright, I am home and hooked this thing up.

I can confirm

*NO IPD ISSUE*

I know you all have other questions about frame rate etc but it'll have to wait till tomorrow. 

I was a Oculus Rift guy and this is my first vive product.  That said, I had only bought one base station as I assumed the headset wouldn't work and didn't want to own two unless it did.  I literally had to tinker around to get it to work with one and didn't actually fly around a lot.  I can say that it seemed to work perfectly and didn't appear to give me frame rate problems.

As everyone else said, the headset is very comfortable and I look for to putting it into action properly tomorrow.

1 hour ago, scrapmetal said:

Do we even know that ReVive works with Pro?

That's a good point. I have seen some anecdotal references posted online to it working that I read on reddit and github but no hard details of how well.

Madmatt

If revive doesn't currently work then I'm sure it will be made to work soon. My 1 day with the Odyssey had it working flawlessly with robo recall and from other suns. Incidentally, I'm still trying to get an answer on how the Vive Pro's image quality compares to the Odyssey. Been looking all over for an answer but haven't found any comparisons yet.

4 hours ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

Alright, I am home and hooked this thing up.

I can confirm

*NO IPD ISSUE*

I know you all have other questions about frame rate etc but it'll have to wait till tomorrow. 

I was a Oculus Rift guy and this is my first vive product.  That said, I had only bought one base station as I assumed the headset wouldn't work and didn't want to own two unless it did.  I literally had to tinker around to get it to work with one and didn't actually fly around a lot.  I can say that it seemed to work perfectly and didn't appear to give me frame rate problems.

As everyone else said, the headset is very comfortable and I look for to putting it into action properly tomorrow.

So I win then right?

what was the bet for again, a free Vive pro wasnt it?

1 hour ago, BeastyBaiter said:

If revive doesn't currently work then I'm sure it will be made to work soon. My 1 day with the Odyssey had it working flawlessly with robo recall and from other suns. Incidentally, I'm still trying to get an answer on how the Vive Pro's image quality compares to the Odyssey. Been looking all over for an answer but haven't found any comparisons yet.

Yeah I would also like to know if the odyssey, once you get it dialed in of course, is just as good for sit down experiences like BOS as the VIVE is or do tracking issues let it down. 

6 hours ago, dburne said:

I would have to beg to differ a little, there is currently no hardware that is more than fine for VR in what we do ( combat flight simming).

Agreed and sadly one day the 1080ti will be considered a minimum VR requirement for a game like BOS. Combined with a 17 8700k and dialing in the graphics settings, I can get it to run at 90 more often than not, but to be honest the more you play with 90fps the more you get a taste for how superior it is compared to relying on RP!  It all comes down to the elimination of the ghosting effect really.

The next VR headset to get my money will be one that brings down system requirements (Not bumps them up) and increases performance. I would welcome getting rid of the SDE but to be honest I don't have any issues with graphics screen resolution of my headset, to me it looks fantastic.

got my Vive Pro yesterday.

I can say it definitely has a huge WOW factor about it!

Wow:

- Il2 looks like a new game now. The resolution bump is simply put - awesome!

- I can see 50 cal bullets now.. and how they rip the enemy apart!

- spotting (!) is a lot.. a lot easier. Them enemy dots are very clear in the distance...

- the screen door effect has been greatly reduced so the scenery looks a lot, a lot smoother!

- the satellite sensors aren't USB controlled, so there's absolutely no tracking issues with the headset in a dogfight when I have to look backwards for a long period of time. With Rift the tracking would mess up shifting the image up or down, which was annoying to me to the nth degree, I tried different usb ports, controllers, positioning, etc.. annoying as hell. Well, with Vive it's no longer an issue! (big win!)

not so wow:

i'm coming from Rift so I did notice:

- a lot smaller "sweet spot", i.e. the central area 'in focus' is a lot smaller than in Rift. I didn't fly with previous vive before so I can't compare between the old vive and new vive pro. But compared to Rift I definitely need to move my head a lot more now to view the objects of interest in focus

- headset strap is freaking huge compared to Rift, but it's ok, I guess, I can get used to it. The most annoying piece, however, is the tightening wing nut in the back of my head that sticks out pretty far back. My challenge is I fly in a racing seat and that wing nut doesn't let me rest my head on the headrest. I know it's a "first world" problem lol :) .. but it's still worth a note

- headphones are pretty low on bass, have a lot of mids.. not the best of the breed. Rift headphones are a lot better. I'm going to take them off and use the external ones.

Couple of more things to note:

- got to enable HDR to get the full awesomeness of the clarity/resolution.

- i'm still trying to figure out the graphical settings, it'll take some time to get the smoothness ironed out, but it'll be fun!

Edited by moosya
  • Like 2

- a lot smaller "sweet spot", i.e. the central area 'in focus' is a lot smaller than in Rift. I didn't fly with previous vive before so I can't compare between the old vive and new vive pro. But compared to Rift I definitely need to move my head a lot more now to view the objects of interest in focus

Can you elaborate more? this means is more sensitive to movement? I am also coming from the Oculus Rift.

Also how's the performamce? Did you have lower your graphic settings?

Sounds like the Vive Pro is a big difference maker in the image quality which is great to hear.

Gives me hope for what might come with a second generation Rift.  I am curious how you guys find your fps as compared to prior Vive Pro with same graphical settings.

I will be jealous a little in the meantime, but so looking forward to the future.

Interestingly I have never had any tracking issues with my Rift, even when playing some games where I am moving around.

I think the Vive has always had a smaller sweet spot than the Rift, sounds like it probably stayed the same for Vive Pro.

I hope  the Vive Pro is very  successful and it might push Oculus to move up on their next PC-VR device. I don't think they were much concerned

with the Pimax, but with Vive being such a direct competitor I am sure they will be taking notice. Especially if Oculus starts losing a lot of customers who move over

to the newer Vive Pro.

Personally I really wish they would re-focus from the Santa Cruz development over to CV2 development. They are pretty tight lipped though, so no one but them really knows what all they are working on.

Edited by dburne

10 minutes ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Can you elaborate more? this means is more sensitive to movement? I am also coming from the Oculus Rift.

Also how's the performamce? Did you have lower your graphic settings?

- it's not sensitive to movement.. at least it's not something that I've noticed

- by sweet spot I mean when you look in the 'center' of the view it's all in focus, and so is around the center, but when you start going off to the sides (up/down/left/right) with your eyes without moving your head the image becomes blurry pretty quick. In rift I could pretty much glance away from the center with my eyes and still more or less see the objects in focus without moving my head. In vive you need to move your head to keep the object of interest in focus.

I don't know if it's just a perceived difference or in fact a smaller focus center. I've played Il2 with vive pro for about 3 hours and after an hour you get used to is so it's not that big of a deal anymore.

Performance is the same as with Rift, so whatever works for you in Rift will be the same in VPro. At least for me on 1080ti + 8700K oc'ed to 5.0ghz it is.

16 minutes ago, dburne said:

I hope  the Vive Pro is very  successful and it might push Oculus to move up on their next PC-VR device. I don't think they were much concerned

with the Pimax, but with Vive being such a direct competitor I am sure they will be taking notice. Especially if Oculus starts losing a lot of customers who move over

to the newer Vive Pro.

Personally I really wish they would re-focus from the Santa Cruz development over to CV2 development. They are pretty tight lipped though, so no one but them really knows what all they are working on.

I feel the same. Rift is a lot more refined headset compared to Vive. It's hard to tell at first but after wearing it for 2 years you quickly realize how you took for granted all of those little comfort differences. Hopefully Rift stays the same with the next gen version.

2 hours ago, moosya said:

Couple of more things to note:

- got to enable HDR to get the full awesomeness of the clarity/resolution.

- i'm still trying to figure out the graphical settings, it'll take some time to get the smoothness ironed out, but it'll be fun!

You pretty much said everything I am encountering.  I am surprised the original "vive guys" raved about it so much.  The "god rays" are far worse than on the oculus (I never saw these before).  The focus sweet spot is tight, the audio is far worse the the Oculus.

But...

The resolution is very good and my computer runs the game just fine.  I am also tweaking Steam VR and in-game graphics to get the best experience.

I am also running off one lighthouse, which is not ideal.

1 hour ago, moosya said:

- it's not sensitive to movement.. at least it's not something that I've noticed

- by sweet spot I mean when you look in the 'center' of the view it's all in focus, and so is around the center, but when you start going off to the sides (up/down/left/right) with your eyes without moving your head the image becomes blurry pretty quick. In rift I could pretty much glance away from the center with my eyes and still more or less see the objects in focus without moving my head. In vive you need to move your head to keep the object of interest in focus.

I don't know if it's just a perceived difference or in fact a smaller focus center. I've played Il2 with vive pro for about 3 hours and after an hour you get used to is so it's not that big of a deal anymore.

Performance is the same as with Rift, so whatever works for you in Rift will be the same in VPro. At least for me on 1080ti + 8700K oc'ed to 5.0ghz it is.

I feel the same. Rift is a lot more refined headset compared to Vive. It's hard to tell at first but after wearing it for 2 years you quickly realize how you took for granted all of those little comfort differences. Hopefully Rift stays the same with the next gen version.

We have the same system so I am glad is working good.

Now I am really excited to get it.

Does Vive also have AWS? and you need to disable it?

1 hour ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

We have the same system so I am glad is working good.

Now I am really excited to get it.

Does Vive also have AWS? and you need to disable it?

vive has the "reprojection" in the developer settings, I have to have it on in MP. Without it the game is simply unplayable, just jitters like crazy.

21 hours ago, dburne said:

I so look forward to the day we have powerful enough systems to run these flight sims in all their glory at a steady 90 fps. At least hoping that day will come at some point.

Maybe next generation Intel and next generation Nvidia, we can only hope.

You have a very nice rig, I look forward to hearing of your results in real world performance with the Vive Pro.

I have this year marked down for a new build myself, just a matter of when in the year to go for it.

Btw, how is your performance in VR on Kuban with your system? I would be most curious what kind of framerates you are seeing in the new Career Mode in Kuban ?

Edit - guess I was remembering wrong, I see in your sig you have a 4790k, for some reason I thought you were running 8700k...