ATAG_Invictus

The Home Cockpit

Not really a video of BoX per say, but rather the equipment I use to play it.  I hope this gives ideas to other crazies out there who have managed to catch the "home pit" bug too.  Enjoy!

Edited by ATAG_Invictus
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Evolution of my setup over time?  Dear God, that would take way to long.  Let's just say this is about the 100th configuration of the old girl.  She (and I do refer to it as "she" or "her", since my wife calls it "my mistress") started as a standard Obutto Ozone about 7 years ago, but Ive modified and upgraded it so much the only thing left from that setup is the chair and control mounts.  The 49" monitor is new. Got that at Christmas to replace the 7 year old triple screen setup I'd been using. 

Do I use all the controllers in DCS?  Yes, for the most complex planes like the Mirage I do.  For other sims I tend to use only certain buttons and the touchscreens.  For some like War Thunder (which I rarely play) or old IL2 1946 I have to turn controllers off believe it or not.

Controllers? I've probably owned most of the flight sim controls put out over the past 20 years.  Thrustmaster pedals? Yep. Goflight?  Sure.  CH? Yep!  G940? Trying to forget that turd, but yes! Cougar?  Yep.  Warthog? Ditto.  Have finally settled on my VKB Black Mamba Mk III with extension (finest stick I've ever owned...a masterpiece).

As for how long I've been flying sims? Let's just say a long time and leave it at that...I feel old enough as it is.  ;)

1 hour ago, Sambot88 said:

Well it is really a heck of a setup. Do you fly "civilian" flight sims as well? I ask because I've seen similar gadgets in peoples' FSX setups and whatnot, but again nothing that elaborate! That's as impressive as any custom-built hotrod in my opinion.

Thanks for the kind words.  As for flying Civ Sims...not at the present time. I've thought about getting Prepare3d and the Tacpack/Superbug combo to fly the Super Hornet, but I really don't have time right now.  The majority of my sim time is split between BoX and Cliffs of Dover, with DCS coming in a distant third, Falcon BMS fourth and everything else way behind that....so I have enough to keep me occupied for now.  Besides...flying airliners just doesn't interest me....if something isn't blowing up or shooting at me I lose interest.  :)

and you've effectively future proofed yourself for VR in years to come - "but sweetheart, just think of all the clutter these (ok not so) little goggles will replace....."

BTW I not just jealous of the gear - that room looks pretty cool too.

7 hours ago, BOO said:

and you've effectively future proofed yourself for VR in years to come - "but sweetheart, just think of all the clutter these (ok not so) little goggles will replace....."

BTW I not just jealous of the gear - that room looks pretty cool too.

Heh....VR isn't in my sights for several years.  I made that choice when I bought the new monitor, and the wifey-poo was happy to hear that (she thinks the goggles are stupid looking).

As for the room: I have a collection of about one hundred die-cast aircraft from WWI - modern day (most 1/72 scale), two swords, some geeky stuff and a modest library of history books. 

Maybe I need to do a video? Hmmmmm.... :)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Fantastic Home cockpit Invictus. Congrats.

Im very impresive , i only have 20% of your toys ... or maybe less and my  home cockpit is a hell of cables.

Really, congrats , nice cockpit.

:)

• Upvote 1

Thanks RedEye!  

I think I'm OCD because cables bother me...a lot!  So I use tons of velco ties and cable wraps!  Upside is it looks nice and neat.  The down side comes when I have to move something or trace a cable (ugh).

On 4/4/2018 at 4:58 PM, ATAG_Invictus said:

VR will have to become real VR (full body immersion) to replace setup like this. 

On 4/4/2018 at 4:58 PM, ATAG_Invictus said:

As for the room: I have a collection of about one hundred die-cast aircraft from WWI - modern day (most 1/72 scale), two swords, some geeky stuff and a modest library of history books. 

Maybe I need to do a video? Hmmmmm.... :)

Please do. You turn a room into museum, you can as well give us a virtual tour.

Very nice looking setup. Clearly geared to fly modern jet fighters. Congratulations, all is clean and tidy, no cables, really a very nice cockpit.

What bothers me is the screen. I hesitated a lot buying such a screen. I tried the one you have in a TV shop and I had an issue with the vertical size. I had the feeling that I was looking through a narrow opening. Sideway it was perfect but it lacked immersion due to the lack of vertical size. So I took the standard 40". Probably you do not have the same feeling as you did buy that screen but still I wonder is you share at least some of this vertical limitation.

Ideally the screen should be three times as large vertically and also vertically curved, so it should be in fact a spherical section. I am dreaming here eyes wide open.

4 hours ago, IckyATLAS said:

Very nice looking setup. Clearly geared to fly modern jet fighters. Congratulations, all is clean and tidy, no cables, really a very nice cockpit.

What bothers me is the screen. I hesitated a lot buying such a screen. I tried the one you have in a TV shop and I had an issue with the vertical size. I had the feeling that I was looking through a narrow opening. Sideway it was perfect but it lacked immersion due to the lack of vertical size. So I took the standard 40". Probably you do not have the same feeling as you did buy that screen but still I wonder is you share at least some of this vertical limitation.

Ideally the screen should be three times as large vertically and also vertically curved, so it should be in fact a spherical section. I am dreaming here eyes wide open.

Thanks!  I considered a TV, but the monitor has other features like 144Mhz refresh and QLED that either are not available on a TV or would make them prohibitively expensive.  The vertical size also doesn't really bother me because it's the same as the previous triple-monitor setup I came from so not a big deal to me.  But it's really a personal preference to be honest. 

9 hours ago, LsV_Trupobaw said:

Please do. You turn a room into museum, you can as well give us a virtual tour.

Already planning one to include some recent modifications I made to the 'pit. 

Yes...I already made some more changes.  I'm telling you....it's a sickness!  :)

Hi Invictus, 

a really nice setup there you have. Could you make a video showing you during a flight in BoX or CloD? Would like to see your monitor in action. 

Thanks

On 04/04/2018 at 1:04 AM, ATAG_Invictus said:

but rather the equipment I use to play it.

Well PAH!! All I can say is that my carpet is far nicer than yours!! :P

Seriously though, that is SOME setup!!

Edited by Raptorattacker