P-39 Skins...

Blitzen

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2018 at 8:16 PM, Raptorattacker said:

Now THAT looks good and grubby!! I LIKE it!!! I'll see if I can get any info for ya....

@Raptorattacker; Did you manage to get any info for Tomi_099?

Spoiler
On 6/13/2018 at 10:52 AM, Tomi_099 said:

Skin 4k P-39  ..Please Halp  !!

This plane is in progress
I need original pictures of this fantastic Russian P39

Some nuances are still in progress :russian_ru:

20180613022904_1.jpg

20180613023622_1.jpg

I'm grateful for any help :good:20180613023752_1.jpg

Edited by FurphyForum

P-39L1 "Tigershark":
This is my second attempt at making a skin and the pattern is completely fictional. I drew some inspiration from various 109 skins I found on the forum.

(The serial number on the tail might be stolen from a real plane :ph34r:).

Thanks to @Zargos for the 4k Template! :salute:

Here is the download link if someone wants it :) : http://www.mediafire.com/file/dxdddxbdqb7xz89/P-39L1_Tigershark.dds/file

Some pictures:

Spoiler

20180821224532_1.thumb.jpg.6975fb39a34ee07d4733212ddeafa2fa.jpg20180821225058_1.thumb.jpg.6d956d277d14ddb27e3e03b6d25b50ac.jpg20180821224514_1.thumb.jpg.06e4849e61dfd0bf2cfdaf4a73841663.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Psyrion said:

P-39L1 "Tigershark":
This is my second attempt at making a skin and the pattern is completely fictional. I drew some inspiration from various 109 skins I found on the forum.

Looks great :clapping:

And I’m not just saying that because I love real Tiger Sharks :biggrin:

• Thanks 1

Raptorattacker
7 hours ago, FurphyForum said:

@Raptorattacker; Did you manage to get any info for Tomi_099?

I'm afraid not. I've trawled through many many books and yet nothing. I'm really sorry! :sorry:

5 hours ago, Raptorattacker said:

I'm afraid not. I've trawled through many many books and yet nothing. I'm really sorry! :sorry:

No problem,  wonder if @Tomi_099 will release his skin then????? 

Raptorattacker
11 hours ago, FurphyForum said:

No problem,  wonder if @Tomi_099 will release his skin then????? 

I really don't know but in my experience, if you've put that amount of work into something you tend to wanna get the job done. If it comes down to details then there IS such a thing as 'artistic licence' and if you can't find what you want then you sometimes have to be content with 'semi-historical'... there's absolutely NO shame in it in my opinion!!

• Upvote 2

Р-39 Аэрокобра 21 ГИАП, летчик-ас Тучинский -

P-39 Aerocobra 21 GIAP, Pilot - Valentine Tuchinsky.

21-й гвардейский Краснознаменный истребительный авиационный Черкасский ордена Кутузова полк (бывший 25 ИАП, 38 ИАП)

Я очень рад представить вам сегодня 4K Skin of 21 GIAP Valentine Tuchinsky.
I am very happy to present you today the 4K Skin of 21 GIAP Valentine Tuchinsky.
ich bin sehr glücklich ihnen heute den 4K Skin  von  21 GIAP -Valentin Tuchinsky zu überreichen.
Vrlo mi je drago predstaviti vam danas 4K Skin od 21 GIAP Valentinovo Tuchinsky.

Valentin Tuchinsky im Frühjahr 1945
Тучинский Валентин Николаевич весной 1945 г

1.jpg

Soviet ace Tuchinskiy near his P-39N aircraft, Great Patriotic war photo
Bell P39N Airacobra fighter bort number 37 with slogan "Za Odessu" (for Odessa)

20180901180306_1.jpg

20180901180846_1.jpg

20180901212103_1.jpg

Download Link:

4K Skin

light glossy

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kpxntsh9g38ougy/P39N_21GIAP_Valentine_Tuchinsky_v1.dds/file

4K Skin

matt lacquer 

http://www.mediafire.com/file/9uhs14tkacta3wg/P39N_21GIAP_Valentine_Tuchinsky_v2.dds/file

20180901211851_1.jpg

Р39 Аэрокобра 21 ГИАП, летчик-ас Тучинский
P39 Aerocobra 21 GIAP, Pilot-wie Tuchinsky

20180901212719_1.jpg

Р39 Аэрокобра 21 ГИАП, летчик-ас Тучинский
INFO:

http://wio.ru/simbols/iad23g.htm

Edited by Tomi_099
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/30/2018 at 4:53 PM, thenorm said:

Instructions from Eduard's new Soviet P-39 kit if anyone is looking for further inspiration: 

https://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/11118.pdf

Abaut Eduard's new Soviet P-39 kit !

One Aircraft ..in  work !  :gamer:

P-39Q-15, 213. GIAP, Germany, spring 1945

20180829024502_1.jpg

Edited by Tomi_099
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Raptorattacker
20 hours ago, Tomi_099 said:

P-39 Aerocobra 21 GIAP, Pilot - Valentine Tuchinsky.

@Tomi_099

How comes there's no Alpha Channel (as such)? Is this just me or isn't there one for this skin, mine is just plain grey with no aluminium highlighting or anything... just wondering?

On 9/2/2018 at 7:12 PM, Raptorattacker said:

@Tomi_099

How comes there's no Alpha Channel (as such)? Is this just me or isn't there one for this skin, mine is just plain grey with no aluminium highlighting or anything... just wondering?

All is good .. the skin is ok ..! and the Alpha Channel was in there.
You can check it with Photoshop.  :gamer:

you probably do not like that the plane does not come from the factory floor and does not shine like a new one! :big_boss:

The alpha channel is at most (RoF/BoS)  between 70-75% (very shiny)
for me it is between 80-95% (minimal - very small )

it is like war Planes at the Front

.. Depending on whether the aircraft is new or in use !

How dirty it is ! :P

Edited by Tomi_099

Raptorattacker
8 hours ago, Tomi_099 said:

All is good .. the skin is ok ..! and the Alpha Channel was in there.
You can check it with Photoshop

I do check it with photoshop, I am familiar with the process of using Alpha Channels and the one in this skin is just flat grey, like I said... I'll PM you what I mean, it may enhance your (really good) skin is all. I'm just trying to be helpful! ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Raptorattacker

P39L based on P39N type Serial 42-9033 of 9GIAD, 100GIAP. Germany in May of 1945.

Flown by (and personal mount of) Gieorgij Dolnikov who scored 15 (+1) victories. Earlier, it belonged to

Capt. Ivan Babak who scored 133 (+4) victories and who was captured on 22nd April 1945.

VvOxsTK.jpg

1l8luXx.jpg

Re5JTXo.jpg

6WalP4p.png

Skin can be downloaded HERE

Thanks to @Zargos for the Template!

A Bell P-39L based on the P-400 type. 'Red 60' of 2GSAP from the winter of 1942-43.

The pilot is unknown to the author, sorry.

IlyC6s1.jpg

Lsc1419.jpg

1wfbofz.jpg

NEBvyzx.jpg

Skin can be downloaded HERE

Thanks to @Zargos for the Template!

PLEASE NOTE!! BOTH SKINS HAVE BEEN REVISED TO USE @Pierre64 NORMAL MAP

PLEASE RE-DOWNLOAD!!!!

Thanks to both Pierre and Zargos!!

Edited by Raptorattacker
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Raptorattacker
1 hour ago, Swing said:

Second link is not a dds. file Raptor...:mellow:

Ah, okay. Thanks for that, I'll sort it out now!

There! Try that now and let me know? Thanks for the heads-up!! :sorry::salute:

Edited by Raptorattacker
  • Like 1

Raptorattacker
1 hour ago, =RR=ROCKETKnutGugel said:

Two brillant skins but only one like button... What a shame!  :drinks:

Thank You man!

1 hour ago, Swing said:

Now that work Raptor ;)...Superb skins...:good:

Thanks chaps! Twas a pleasure indeed. I aint done any in a while (apart from personal ones) so I thought I better had! Glad you like 'em. :dance:

Raptorattacker
3 hours ago, Pierre64 said:

f you want test it

Brilliant stuff!! It IS a bit smooth for my liking so fair play. I just hadn't gotten around to making one up. Thanks for that, I'll give it a try!! :clapping:

Spectacular!! A veritable thousand-fold improvement!! D'you mind if I put the link into my post as well, as an 'option'?

Edited by Raptorattacker

2 hours ago, Raptorattacker said:

D'you mind if I put the link into my post as well, as an 'option'?

Thanks ! Of course, you can 😀

(However, consider this modified normal map is made from a new 4k panel lines layer I made recently for the P-39L and, unfortunately, some panels doesn’t match exactly with  @Zargos 4k template).

5 hours ago, Pierre64 said:

(However, consider this modified normal map is made from a new 4k panel lines layer I made recently for the P-39L and, unfortunately, some panels doesn’t match exactly with  @Zargos 4k template).

Hi Pierre,

I suppose that your pannels lines are closer to the real ones than mine.

So I can replace my panels line by yours and also replace my normal map by yours and update the all package in the first collaborative template of IL2 Great Battles.

:good:

Raptorattacker
1 hour ago, Zargos said:

Hi Pierre,

I suppose that your pannels lines are closer to the real ones than mine.

So I can replace my panels line by yours and also replace my normal map by yours and update the all package in the first collaborative template of IL2 Great Battles.

:good:

Now, THAT sounds like a plan! Everyone happy and some great skins to boot!! Thanks @Zargos and @Pierre64 I shall keep an eye on developments with a keen eye as it would mean we can ALL have fantastic end results!! Cheers guys. I LOVE this community, there's NOT many like it and that's a fact!!!

Raptorattacker
1 hour ago, Pierre64 said:

I totally agree with @Raptorattacker and @Zargos 👍

Here are my 4K panel lines for the P-39 http://www.mediafire.com/file/me9qq5zjuvps532/P39Lines4096_Pierre64.rar/file

The day just gets better and better and I've ONLY just woken up!! :biggrin::clapping:

Hey Pierre, is there any way you could save the file(s) as a PSD? I just realised what format they're in and Photoshop won't deal with them. I'm really sorry to be a pain!! :sorry:

No matter! I've opened it!! Thanks again for the file!!

Rap

Edited by Raptorattacker

Raptorattacker
1 minute ago, Yankee_One said:

Hi Rap,

as always nice skins. Well done mate!

Thanks Yankee! I'm 'upgrading' them as we speak and it'll be a couple of days at most so stay tuned and I'll re-issue them both with the improvements okay? :salute:

• Thanks 1

I am trying to understand and, if I can, correctly reproduce natural metal effect on skins of the P-39 L (and the A-20) while patiently wainting for the incoming USAF fighters.

The difficulty is to keep the look of bare metal and avoid too highly polished "chrome" look. 

This needs a lot of work on the skin itself and mostly on Alpha and Normal maps !

Early tests :

P-39_metal_1.thumb.jpg.b8e4c388feeabd446d402832dc575c4d.jpg

P-39_metal_3.thumb.jpg.5e9e7d06bed3054c4920dfc0b4afc9e4.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pierre64 said:

I'm sorry Pierre, your file has a PSP (Paint Shop Pro ?) extension which is not compatible with Photoshop.

Can you save it as a PSD file ?

By the way Raptorattacker : how did you manage to open Pierre's PSP file with Photoshop ?

Edited by Zargos

[PFR]Sarpalaxan
17 hours ago, Pierre64 said:

Thanks. We need more Bare Metal skins !

Using your excellent skin,  I am trying to  accentuate this effect with my own modified bump map layer :

Working on a few Non Historical bare metal Planes my self but on some parts (I-16 bottom) just can't get it  to work. From my understanding reflection is only comming from the alpha layer but you write something about the bumpmap. is there something i'me missing?

Raptorattacker
1 hour ago, Zargos said:

By the way Raptorattacker : how did you manage to open Pierre's PSP file with Photoshop ?

I jusy got a version of PaintShop and then saved it as a psd mate. There's no other way!.;)

Hi @Sarpalaxan

you are right : reflections simulating natural metal effect only come from the alpha layer.

But some normal map layers are not detailed enough or are too pixelated. This is more noticeable on "bare metal" skins.

Raptorattacker
32 minutes ago, Sarpalaxan said:

is there something i'me missing?

Not really. He jusy means that if you have TOO much texturing on the bumpmap then it can detract from the 'metallic' look because it breaks up the reflection too much. If you want metallic then a smooth surface looks best for it with this engine but unfortunately you then end up with a plane that looks 'new' instead of a sort of battered/realistic look.

1 hour ago, Pierre64 said:

The difficulty is to keep the look of bare metal and avoid too highly polished "chrome" look. 

It's just a case of 'fine tuning' it, rinse/repeat style, aint it? What works on some planes doesn't necessarily work on another I've found for sure. The engine in-game doesn't really take it too well unfortunately does it? If you go for a 'non-polished' then a lot of the time you end up with that dreaded 'milky' look! Also, the mipmapping shows it up even more!! Ah well, we can but try, eh? I'm just inserting your lines and rivets onto the files at the moment, tweaking and fiddling. I'll post 'em up when I've done. See what y'think?... Thanks again for the files, great help!!

[PFR]Sarpalaxan
13 minutes ago, Raptorattacker said:

Not really. He jusy means that if you have TOO much texturing on the bumpmap then it can detract from the 'metallic' look because it breaks up the reflection too much. If you want metallic then a smooth surface looks best for it with this engine but unfortunately you then end up with a plane that looks 'new' instead of a sort of battered/realistic look.

Thanks i will try to edit the bumpmap then. Thank you for the hint. A Aerobatic Display Plane doesen't need to look that Battered anyway.