Sign in to follow this  
Finkeren

A bit of 'finger painting'

By no means do I consider myself an artist on the level of for instance Roen911, but I recently discovered the joys of drawing on my daughters iPad using the extremely simple and easy-to-use program called 'Procreate'.

I used some of my vacation away from BoS to explore the pencil drawing features and I want to share the best of my sketches, which is also BoS related. It's supposed to depict a pair of Yak-1Bs getting ready for an early afternoon patrol during the later part of their combat trials on the Stalingrad front in early 1943.

It's drawn from memory, so please excuse if proportions or the different panels aren't completely correct (though I do belive I know the Yak fairly well.)

Let me know, what you think. Praise is of course welcome, but constructive criticism/ideas are even better.

post-13181-0-19699500-1389100044_thumb.jpg

Edited by Finkeren
  • Upvote 8

I don't like the guy's proportions, but planes look very cool. Good job!

I don't like the guy's proportions, but planes look very cool. Good job!

Yeah I know. I was too far in giving him shadows and texture when I realised it was wrong.

***Everything meant constructive** please dont get me wrong.

Really nice work overall. The Proportions of the groundcrewmember in front need some love. Also i dont get why he should have a pistol (Just imho).

Then the wheeltracks on the ground do somehow look as if you would look at them from the top down. Thus not fitting into the perspective of the drawing.

For the shadows i love to recommend using crosshatching when drawing with a pencil. It takes some time to learn but really gives the most professional look and feel to a pencildrawing.

Keep up the work!

• Upvote 1

Thx for the input :salute:

The pistol is supposed to be a flare gun for signaling the planes on take off.

Nicely done ;) There are always points for improvement,but it is not necessary to write about it.It is for sure done with love and passion for aviation.And that signal pistol guy looks exactly like my former boss.So OK with me as to the proportions :biggrin: Can I download it?

Sure, use it all you like (with proper credits) It's only a sketch after all.

BTW: By all means do write about how I could improve things. I like constructive criticism.

Edited by Finkeren

Trying something in color this time: A rare loss for the Luftwaffe in the western Ukraine in late summer 1941.

This is very, very early WIP (a couple hours in) with most of it still just rough sketching and base color.

post-13181-0-92644500-1389307498_thumb.jpg

Edited by Finkeren

Another budding artist. We are indeed fortunate. I like it a lot. Thanks for sharing this with us and I hope you will share your future works also. One suggestion though I have not seen how you titled your image file, always include your name or handle in your file name so we who like it can give full credit to the artist.

Chief

One suggestion though I have not seen how you titled your image file, always include your name or handle in your file name so we who like it can give full credit to the artist.

Chief

Good idea. Thanks for that.