InProgress

Tobruk new planes

1 hour ago, InProgress said:

Awesome! One of my favorite plane of all times :) a bit scared about 1 and 2, but can't wait for my favorite A3. I remember watching some video about front window in BoS, that it does not look like it should or some other problems with it. And devs can't simulate it correct, not really sure now. Will it be the same just like in BoX or for CloD you will do it right?

oh, here it is:

I can't comment on the presentation in BoX, but I do know Jason and the developers there do their best to provide the players with the most accurate simulation possible.

And yes, when the 190A is added, TF will do our best to get the through the armoured glass view correct.

And by the way, regarding rarely seen models, we will be including the 109F-1 in TF 5.0... as well as possibly the 109F-0.  (the early test model which saw combat in late '41)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Buzzsaw said:

I do know Jason and the developers there do their best to provide the players with the most accurate simulation possible.

It's not like i am bashing their work, i would not even know if something is wrong if not that video but i get that doing this could cost a bit and they have diffrent priorities, especially that fw190 was made in only 2 versions, so maybe they will find more time and be able to do glass correct with bodenplatte since they would work on new FWs anyway.

But i am just curious if doing it is actually possible and you guys will try or it was already decided that it's going to stay like it did for BoX.

Tho i really like the way this glass works, kind of fun :P and probably helps a lot during combat..

Edited by InProgress

4 hours ago, InProgress said:

It's not like i am bashing their work, i would not even know if something is wrong if not that video but i get that doing this could cost a bit and they have diffrent priorities, especially that fw190 was made in only 2 versions, so maybe they will find more time and be able to do glass correct with bodenplatte since they would work on new FWs anyway.

But i am just curious if doing it is actually possible and you guys will try or it was already decided that it's going to stay like it did for BoX.

Tho i really like the way this glass works, kind of fun :P and probably helps a lot during combat..

That problem on 190s in box is fixed since 2014 (you should check pictures of original BoX Fw190 cocpit in spoiler and see how bad it loked, video also explaining fix), Devs raised fw190s gunsight and make low and side bars less tick.

Spoiler

Also you have picture side by side left how they fix it and right how it was before fix:

https://imgur.com/CJITD6g

So what you wont to be fixed on 190 in BoX, is already fixed like it should be fixed.

But problem is they decided to only fix this for 190s, but not to fix it for other airplanes that would have same problem you show in that video when tick armored glass is used at big angles. 

So now you have in BoX that ONLY one airplane gets special treatment, while others like new La5FN for example, deosent get this fix even though he have same problem and because of it its gunsight is opstructed. 

Its bad when you decide to fix things that effect all airplanes to some extent on only one airplane, just because that airplane have more fans, thats not how things should work, and shows bias. If you already do it correctly for one airplane it should be done corectly for all to keep same level of quality. Tick armor glass on Spitfires and 109Gs would also make side and bottom bars look not tick as they look whitout refraction acounted, so they should also have corect real view.

I hope CloD will not make same mistake BoX is making, and make cockpit adjustments neccesary for more real views on all airplanes that expiriance this, and not just for one fan selected airplane like its in BoX now.

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Upvote 1

Oh goody! Another 40 page discussion about refraction / the "Bar".   ;)

Edited by Cloyd
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cloyd said:

Oh goody! Another 40 page discussion about refraction / the "Bar".   ;)

Yeah, cyclic discussions about something that nobody has succeeded to get right is pretty lame, eh?

How 'bout a Tiger and them .50's?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Space_Ghost said:

How 'bout a Tiger and them .50's?

Only with US Pilots. Brits and Russians not affected :P

20 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

I can't comment on the presentation in BoX, but I do know Jason and the developers there do their best to provide the players with the most accurate simulation possible.

And yes, when the 190A is added, TF will do our best to get the through the armoured glass view correct.

And by the way, regarding rarely seen models, we will be including the 109F-1 in TF 5.0... as well as possibly the 109F-0.  (the early test model which saw combat in late '41)

The F-1 is the version with the MG-FF/M cannon, right? Any differences between it and say the F-2 in terms of engine or anything else apart from the cannon?

Also I assume you mean late '40 rather than 41?

Edited by ATAG_Flare

19 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

That problem on 190s in box is fixed since 2014

I was never inside of this plane so I am not gonna say if it's right or wrong. Just watching that video shows that these bars he put infront of glass are gone when you look through glass. In game it's still there. Small yes, but still it's there. I am not saying if it's correct or not, because i have no idea. I am just asking. Video makes me think that now it's not correct but again, I don't know how it looks in real life.

Edited by InProgress

Used it yesterday and it was fine, there's just no crazy magnifying lense effect that might be a bit more complicated to do but the green ish color is there and the bar isnt.

13 hours ago, ATAG_Flare said:

The F-1 is the version with the MG-FF/M cannon, right? Any differences between it and say the F-2 in terms of engine or anything else apart from the cannon?

Also I assume you mean late '40 rather than 41?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Bf_109_variants#F

I presume a typo. F1 went into action Oktober 1940.

• F-0 (Pre-production aircraft built from E series airframes, Adolf Galland was one of the few to fly one operationally)
  • F-1 (Armed with 1 × 20 mm MG FF/M Motorkanone cannon and 2 × 7.92 mm/.312 in MG 17 machine guns)
  • F-2 (Armed with 1 × 15 mm (.59 in) MG 151 cannon and 2 × 7.92 mm/.312 in MG 17)
    • F-2 trop (tropicalized version, only as field conversion)
    • F-2/Z (high-altitude fighter with GM-1 boost, cancelled in favour of the F-4/Z)
Edited by sevenless

P-40C (Tomahawk IIB)
P-40E (Kittyhawk IA)
(Will be early and late versions of both these aircraft... different boost levels.)

What is meant by  late versions of both these aircraft... different boost levels“ ??? That means we will get also K or F variant  ???

Thank you for answer !!! :

3 hours ago, bubo942 said:

P-40C (Tomahawk IIB)
P-40E (Kittyhawk IA)
(Will be early and late versions of both these aircraft... different boost levels.)

What is meant by  late versions of both these aircraft... different boost levels“ ??? That means we will get also K or F variant  ???

Thank you for answer !!! :

Hello bubo

No, we won't see K model... although yes, we do hope to see the F model in a later expansion after TF 5.0... but remember, the F models were powered by the Packard-Merlin V-1650-1, not an Allison.  (F model was basically an E model with the Packard Merlin and slightly altered cowling)

On to the second question:

When the Allison powered aircraft first arrived in N Africa they were running lower levels of boost, based on the original factory recommendations as tested in England.

As the RAF mechanics got more familiar with the Allison engine and realized how well it tolerated increased boost, they increased the maximum setting.

So the early versions of the Tomahawk might have only run 41 inchs HG in England, but by the end of its service, it was running the same level as the P-40E, i.e. 56 inches.  (By late 1942, P-40E's eventually used 60 inHG commonly and some Squadrons ran 66 inHG)

In much the same way as the early Spits and their use of +12 boost, the only benefit of raising allowable boost in the Allison was at lower altitudes... the small supercharger impeller on the early Allison engines simply wasn't large enough to compress large volumes of air and to allow real gains at higher altitudes... it wasn't till the later Allison engine models arrived with bigger impellers that an improvement at high altitudes was seen.  (and the Allison's never were high altitude worldbeaters with the single stage supercharger)

On 6/10/2018 at 12:29 AM, Buzzsaw said:

Hello bubo

No, we won't see K model... although yes, we do hope to see the F model in a later expansion after TF 5.0... but remember, the F models were powered by the Packard-Merlin V-1650-1, not an Allison.  (F model was basically an E model with the Packard Merlin and slightly altered cowling)

On to the second question:

When the Allison powered aircraft first arrived in N Africa they were running lower levels of boost, based on the original factory recommendations as tested in England.

As the RAF mechanics got more familiar with the Allison engine and realized how well it tolerated increased boost, they increased the maximum setting.

So the early versions of the Tomahawk might have only run 41 inchs HG in England, but by the end of its service, it was running the same level as the P-40E, i.e. 56 inches.  (By late 1942, P-40E's eventually used 60 inHG commonly and some Squadrons ran 66 inHG)

In much the same way as the early Spits and their use of +12 boost, the only benefit of raising allowable boost in the Allison was at lower altitudes... the small supercharger impeller on the early Allison engines simply wasn't large enough to compress large volumes of air and to allow real gains at higher altitudes... it wasn't till the later Allison engine models arrived with bigger impellers that an improvement at high altitudes was seen.  (and the Allison's never were high altitude worldbeaters with the single stage supercharger)

Thanks for explanation !!!!  The F variant is nice suprise .But in BoX  if you run the P40E-1 on boost press higher than 37.5 inchs HG it will die easily .Do the DAF presonel mod the engines ?? Did the increasing of boost pressure decrease lifespan of engine parts or shortening time to TBO ???

7 hours ago, bubo942 said:

Thanks for explanation !!!!  The F variant is nice suprise .But in BoX  if you run the P40E-1 on boost press higher than 37.5 inchs HG it will die easily .Do the DAF presonel mod the engines ?? Did the increasing of boost pressure decrease lifespan of engine parts or shortening time to TBO ???

I can't answer your question exactly because I am not involved in BoX's development.  But I am sure there is a logical reason why the boost levels are lower.  BoX may have a different boost setting because the Soviet Airforce used different Avgas than the Western Allies.

Typically Soviet gas octane ratings were much lower until lendlease fuel started to arrive later in the war... the US supplied 100 octane fuel was higher octane.

The initial USAAC boost rating for the P-40C was 41 inHG...  USAAC P-40E manuals in 1942 specify 56 inHG.

But those boost levels could not be run with a lower octane fuel.

This is what I missed, the Soviet Air Force used in the years 41-42 mostly 92 or even 87 octane fuel .Anyway thanks for answering my question !!! 

On 4/12/2018 at 8:04 AM, Buzzsaw said:

We are planning to add the FW190A after TF 5.0 is finished... either in a 5.5 type smaller addition or as part of TF 6.0.

The models will include the rarely seen FW 190A-1 and A-2 with the BMW-801C engine and the different armaments from the later types.

We will also include the FW 190A-3/A-4 with the BMW-801D engine, the four cannon and Fighter-Bomber capacity.

At the same time as we add the FW190A we will also add the early Spitfire IX... the 'F' model with the +15 boost Merlin 61 engine.

There will also be some other new types... including the 109G, as well as certain to this point un-named Allied types... please stay tuned for Spiritus's updates.  ;)

Completely missed out on this post, but skip 5.0 😉 and go for 5.5 directly and give us the 190 and MkIX! (And Mosquito, Typhoon and Lancaster 🤩)

I have to revive this topic, I was wondering, will there be topical versions of ju87 and bf110?